Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#434583 - 10/21/17 11:59 PM [User Showcase] Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country)
Loc: Florida
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

[Link no longer valid]

This song was inspired by another forum conversation about wether BIAB can create modern sounding music. I created this to prove that it is possible with the right combination of real tracks, MIDI and VST instuments. I used 3 real tracks on this song for bass, acoustic guitar and resonator guitar. I exported those to my primary DAW (Cubase). I also exported the MIDI drum track from BIAB to use with Groove Agent (a VST Drum instrument). I then added 3 diferent synths using Xpand 2. After recording vocals I doubled the track twice and added different reverb effects to each one before cutting and mixing together to get different effect in the verse and chorus sections.

Real Tracs Used
388 Bass, Electric, Metal
362 Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming
408 Guitar, Resonator, Background

Tempo 94 bpm
Key of Em

Lyrics:

Just another lonely night on the streets of Montgomery
I can still taste your kiss. Oh, It tastes as sweet as honey.
But the way out left me here, well you know it ain’t that funny.

All our old familiar friends, they turn away when I walk by.
Don’t want to talk to me. Can’t even look me in the eyes.
Act like I’m the one to blame. They must have bought into your lies.

Oh it’s a lonely, lonely, lonely night tonight.
And you’re the only one that’s on my mind.
Even though you’ve done me wrong your always on my mind.

Thinking back it’s clearer now, you know you always were quite cunning
Telling all your little lies, the way you played me was quite stunning.
Now your gone and something’s telling me that I should have seen it coming

Oh it’s a lonely, lonely, lonely night tonight.
And you’re the only one that’s on my mind.
Even though you’ve done me wrong your always on my mind.

Edited by Andrew - PG Music (08/24/20 02:28 PM)

www.sammycountry.com

#434586 - 10/22/17 12:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Samuel, you certainly delivered what you intended to achieve.

The choice of a minor key absolutely suits the song, and the driving beat throughout gives the perfect edge.

All wrapped up with a fantastic vocal.

The lyrics shine, and especially the chorus.

Yes, you have achieved. This is extremely high quality.
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#434587 - 10/22/17 12:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Hey Samual,

Great Job!!!

This is as commercial as what's on contemporary country radio. That was quite a process you went through. But holy smokes ... what a result! Great tracks and a fantastic lyric. Your vocal shines - marvelous. The arrangement is stellar and leads the way with a vibrant mix.

Should be on country radio!

Congrats on a job well done.

Alan

PS: Five minutes is long for a country song but I didn't even notice - sad when it ended.

Edited by Al-David (10/22/17 12:14 AM)

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#434593 - 10/22/17 12:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) [Re: Al-David]
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hey Samual,

Great Job!!!

This is as commercial as what's on contemporary country radio. That was quite a process you went through. But holy smokes ... what a result! Great tracks and a fantastic lyric. Your vocal shines - marvelous. The arrangement is stellar and leads the way with a vibrant mix.

Alan

PS: Five minutes is long for a country song but I didn't even notice - sad when it ended.

Thank you for the kind words. Yes it was a bit of a process and that's what we had been discussing in the other forum. To get a really modern sound you cant just rely on BIAB's real tracks. You have to mix it with synths and electronic drum kits to get that modern pop feel. I actually enjoyed the pocess and look forward to doing more traks like this.

www.sammycountry.com

#434599 - 10/22/17 12:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Hey Samuel. Your efforts really paid off with this one.
Very modern sounding and well mixed.
Good work.
Rob

#434603 - 10/22/17 12:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hey Samual,

Great Job!!!

Alan

Thank you for the kind words. Yes it was a bit of a process and that's what we had been discussing in the other forum. To get a really modern sound you cant just rely on BIAB's real tracks. You have to mix it with synths and electronic drum kits to get that modern pop feel. I actually enjoyed the pocess and look forward to doing more traks like this.

Hope you do some more ... looking forward to it!

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#434626 - 10/22/17 05:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Hi Samuel
This is great. Sounds like James Blunt. Definitely modern in my book. Well done.

#434641 - 10/22/17 08:19 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Man I love this.

You have proved your point!!!

smile

Great job.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#434647 - 10/22/17 08:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: Wauconda, Il.
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

I like this a lot. Sparce, Light, Less-is-more. And great vocal tone.

SoundCloud

#434662 - 10/22/17 10:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) [Re: David Snyder]
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Man I love this.

You have proved your point!!!

smile

Great job.

Thanks David. Glad you started that other forum tread. It's really inspired me.

www.sammycountry.com

#434663 - 10/22/17 10:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) [Re: MusicStudent]
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
I like this a lot. Sparce, Light, Less-is-more. And great vocal tone.

Yes sometimes less is more. I might experiment with addins some sparse electric guitar to it but it holds its own as is.

www.sammycountry.com

#434671 - 10/22/17 11:02 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) [Re: Samuel Davis]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis
Yes sometimes less is more. I might experiment with addins some sparse electric guitar to it....

Don't do it! That is a trap all us BIABers fall into. So many musicians at our beckon call, that we tend to try to get everyone on the stage. The first think I noticed in arrangement was

Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Sparce, Light, Less-is-more.

That made the piece very distinctive to my ear. I liked it just the way it was. grin

SoundCloud

#434679 - 10/22/17 12:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Nice song and a great effort however, I'm going to differ from the crowd a bit and say the driving force behind the modern pop country vibe of this song is your vocals and not the music.

The music you produced is a good foundational starting point and I really enjoy your vocals but I hear room for some tweaks to blur the lines between outlaw singer doing Florida Georgia Line material.

I'm definitely in the minority opinion here and that's ok. You're batting close to 1,000 on the forum so my opinion is irrelevant and I've certainly been wrong before. I did enjoy my listen and I really respect your vocals. You're an awesome singer.

Charlie

#434684 - 10/22/17 01:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Nice song and a great effort however, I'm going to differ from the crowd a bit and say the driving force behind the modern pop country vibe of this song is your vocals and not the music.

The music you produced is a good foundational starting point and I really enjoy your vocals but I hear room for some tweaks to blur the lines between outlaw singer doing Florida Georgia Line material.

I'm definitely in the minority opinion here and that's ok. You're batting close to 1,000 on the forum so my opinion is irrelevant and I've certainly been wrong before. I did enjoy my listen and I really respect your vocals. You're an awesome singer.

Charlie

Thanks for listening Charlie. I do get a lot of my influence from the older outlaw style country. I'm actually working on an entire album right now of more traditional material. Even though I do enjoy Florida Georgia line and some of the other pop country I prefer the old school sounding country and I'm sure that it shows through in my songs. In todays music scene that's ok though. Mashing styles together to make something different sounding can help set you apart from the crowd.

www.sammycountry.com

#434710 - 10/22/17 05:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Samuel, nice big clean sound here! Great tune, great production! Don't ever listen to the naysayers!! If enough time and effort is put into the project, just about anything can be created using BIAB. Sometimes it requires partnering with other programs to make it happen, but that's the great thing about BIAB. You prove it here! Thanks, Torrey

#434723 - 10/22/17 06:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) [Re: Samuel Davis]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Went back for a second listen. And I have to say, you have made such a strong strong case here man for all we discussed on that thread about using BIAB to HELP with the modern sound if you are willing to work a little.

But I liked it when it was still just a baby!!

smile

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#434735 - 10/22/17 09:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

lol that's funny David. I know what your saying though. Even at 32 bars (or whatever it was) it still had a good sound and a nice groove.

www.sammycountry.com

#434742 - 10/22/17 10:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
Pretty cool stuff. I'd like a little more bass guitar and a little less bass drum but I get what you're going for.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#434765 - 10/23/17 06:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) [Re: Samuel Davis]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Sammy,

This is excellent!

A truly "modern" sound. Really well put together. Just the right touch of all the elements needed to create "the sound". The BEAT, the repetitive synth, the background synth strings - and the all important "traditional" (dobro) adding the right flavor.

The write "works", too - has the right type "flow" to it. With enough story to give it the interest it needs. Well done.

Your vocal on this is super. REALLY good. Your best so far, I think. And this is my favorite of the things I've heard from you. It sounds "current" without sounding derivative.

I respect Charlie's take on "current Country", but I think this does a good job of "hitting the mark". Not the FGL style, but certainly the style of the "gruffer" current group of Country artists.

You will LOVE the new Atmospheric Pedal Steel tracks. They are GREAT for these type productions...

GREAT job on this. Hope you keep going in this direction...

floyd

#434817 - 10/23/17 11:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lonely Night (Modern Pop Country) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Whow, those vocals are definitely something else!
Impressive, this song immediately reminded me of the most emotional song I know Flame trees by Cold Chisel

So.... By all means keep them songs coming!

Rob

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Resource: Downloading Your Purchase

Did you know... when you order your copy of Band-in-a-Box® from our website you will receive the installation files to download your order, even if you're having it shipped!

You can access these files within the My Products section of your online account.

Downloading the program is such a convenient way to get started with Band-in-a-Box®! To learn more about how to download your purchase, please review the written tutorials we've created for Windows and Mac.

RealBand 2021 Includes 64-bit PG DX Plugins Presets!

Download the latest update for RealBand 2021 to addpresets for 64-bit PG DX plugins!

Release notes (build 3c, Jan 7 2021):
-Fixed: Running 32-bit realband.exe (Version 2020) is now supported.
-Added: Presets for 64-bit PG DX plugins.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows® Special ENDS January 15th!

IT'S YOUR LAST WEEKEND TO SAVE UP TO 50% ON YOUR BAND-IN-A-BOX® UPGRADE!

We've extended our SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Upgrade purchases until January 15, 2021, so there is still a little time left to save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Upgrade!

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows with over 50 new features, plus the 202 RealTracks, new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transcriptions, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10, the 2021 Free Bonus PAK, and 2021 49-PAK!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2021 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2021 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Xtra Styles PAK 10 & MultiStyles PAK 1 - Special Extended to January 15th!

NEW Add-ons for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - and we've extended our Xtra Styles PAK and MultiStyles PAK Special until January 15th!

Xtra Styles PAK 10 with 50 styles each for Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and Folk Celebration! These carefully crafted RealStyles include lo-fi acoustic guitar hip hop, triple-guitar garage rock, a barbeque boom-chick jam, slidin' lazy country blues, bolero and bossa nova fusion, a Gypsy and stride ballad, praise break organ jazz fusion, surfin' folk rock, barn dance old-time stomp 'n' clap, an acoustic folky blues jam, and so much more!

Introducing MultiStyles PAK 1! 30 MultiStyles containing 120 styles - that's a total of 150 Styles! We've included 10 MultiStyles each for Country, Jazz, and Rock-Pop. Our jazz greats MultiStyle allows you to switch between piano and guitar comping, or select from two different solos. Our Jamaican groove selecta allows you to switch from ska at one section to reggae, island groove, or reggae with sax solo at another. A Tex-Mex country MultiStyle allows you to switch between a regular-time and double-time feel. And that's just the beginning. There's so much more in store! Once you dive into these professionally-mixed MultiStyles, you'll wonder how you ever made due with only two substyles per song! Use one substyle for a softer intro, another one for a restrained breakdown, then throw in a different and energetic middle-eight, or change it up with a solo. The possibilities are endless!

And they're ON SALE until January 15th!

Xtra Styles PAK 10, and ALL our Xtra Styles PAKs, are on sale for $29 (reg. $49) each! Haven't purchased Xtra Styles yet, but now you want them all? The COMPLETE collection of Xtra Styles PAKs 1-10 with over 1,600 RealStyles can be yours for only $199 (reg. $349)! There's also an option to purchase the newest Xtra Styles PAKs 9 & 10 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for a bundle price of $49, if you missed out on our previous special! www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=mac

Purchase MultiStyles PAK 1 for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Windows user? Click here for your OS specific product announcement.

Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Today!

We've updated our Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Windows version to address a few user-reported program issues and requests. Band-in-a-Box® 2021 users can update for free here.

Have you been using your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows purchase and not applied any patch updates yet? Make sure you download the latest free patch update to access some great Bonus "Half-time" and "Double-time" RealStyles!

Total of new styles is:
-111 new RealStyles
-80 new RealTracks variations.
-27 new RealDrums variations.

This includes:
-variations of existing 16th-based bluegrass.
-variations of existing celtic and train beat styles.
-new styles with both 8th-based and 16th variations.
-16th-based samba variations.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows - Special Extended to January 15th!

SALE EXTENDED TO JANUARY 15TH!
Save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Upgrade during our special!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows is here, with over 50 new features, 202 RealTracks, new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transcriptions, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10, and more!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2021 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks and the just-released MultiStyles PAK 1) upgrade it to the 2021 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows.

More Bonus Styles for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows!

Download the latest update for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows and you'll add more Bonus "Half-time" and "Double-time" RealStyles!

Total of new styles is:
-111 new RealStyles
-80 new RealTracks variations.
-27 new RealDrums variations.

This includes:
-variations of existing 16th-based bluegrass.
-variations of existing celtic and train beat styles.
-new styles with both 8th-based and 16th variations.
-16th-based samba variations.

Learn how to use this new content with our latest video.

This FREE UPDATE for existing 2021 users also includes many enhancements to the DAW Plugin!

Learn more & download now.

Forum Stats
33705 Members
67 Forums
67676 Topics
579218 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
MiffordClark, EddieP.Morrison, erik4534, AlfWarnock, Zoomer47

33704 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 306