Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm ***WAY*** out of my comfort zone here but wanted to try to create an Elton John type song anyway - just because. I've always enjoyed his music and I'm always willing to try something new. The vocal leaves a lot to be desired as I just don't have a voice for Rock music - and a lot of other genres, too. But, it's what it is, as they say.

This is kind of a work in progress - just experimenting. What I noticed as I listened was perhaps I put too much FX on the vocal in the chorus - should I to back off that a bit? (I have a new toy - a TC-Helicon Voice Live Play vocal processor - woo hoo!). He also tends to bury his vocal a bit in the mix, so I went that direction, too.

I'm open to any other suggestions and comments. As I said, I'm so far out of my comfort zone here, I can't see my way back! Thanks for the listen and any comments you might have.

File:The Worst Thing She Could Do - Am
Key=Am , Tempo 130, Length (m:s)=3:23

Style is ELTON1.STY (Elton 1 - Ev. 8ths Rock)
Style MIDI Instruments are : Acoustic Piano (1), Strings (49),
RealTracks in song: 995:Bass, Electric, HardRockLA Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 697:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ElecRockDirty Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 697:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ElecRockDirty Ev 120
RealDrums in Song: RockClassicBritEv^5-a:Snare, Loose HiHat , b:Snare, Ride Bel

The Worst Thing She Could Do

The Worst Thing She Could Do
© 2017 Alan D. David, BMI / Diana Randall, BMI

(v1)
She looked at me in the strangest way
Said there’s something I have to say
I’ve tried to say it many times before
But I just can’t put it off no more

(v2)
Wiping tears from her dampened cheeks
She said I’ve thought about this days and weeks
But I can’t find an easy way to say
I have no choice but to go away

CHORUS
She said I’ll try to make this as easy as I can
This ain’t the way I had it planned
But as she said goodbye, she did the worst thing she could do
When she said I’ll always love you

TWO INSTRUMENTAL VERSES

CHORUS

(v3)
She said it’s all me, it’s not about you
I did the best that I could do
But now I know it just won’t work
I’m sorry for the unplanned hurt

(4)
I nested with my hopes on high
Then my wings found the need to fly
I’ll always treasure my days with you
This is the last thing I wanted to do

CHORUS

Last edited by Al-David; 10/21/17 11:26 PM.

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I really enjoyed this lively piano ballad.
Great lyrics and well produced.
Well done.

Last edited by Rob4580; 10/22/17 12:07 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks a bunch, Rob. I appreciate the feedback.

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Al & Di !

You know that I have
a flair for experimenting
with different backgrounds
so I like to listen to your
experimenting - in this case
a very nice one !:))

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Alan and Di

I think you've captured what you set out to achieve very well.

Great lyrics.

The instrumental slotted in seamlessly and the overall feel works just like you wanted.

A great production, no question.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds good Alan! Vocal double in chorus is a good effect! I think you might consider doing this as a slower ballad. I could really hear that working well too! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Alan,

It is great the you are stepping out of your zone! And doing a fine job.

I like the chorus vocal effects. In fact I think you ought to get "heavier" with effects for this particular song. Include them on the verses, too... I'd even go so far as to try the "cranked up Autotune effect". I think it would really work on this.

I always had a sense that EJ's piano was brighter sounding that this (I'd up the high EQ to bring that out).

A good pop write.

Enjoyed it.

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Alan,
You have absorbed your lessons listening to the music you enjoy and it shows-this is a really good pop song!
The arrangement sounds on point and I especially enjoyed the chorus... be interesting to see if you come up with a second version.
Certainly go play outside the comfort zone - its an encouragement to all listening here.

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very cool tune Alan. Super backtrack and vocal. Well done. Harmonies were excellent

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Alan, well you know that we always appreciate when users try something else. And we might say that you definitely succeeded here. A nice different sound, and especially the chorus has a very cool ring to it. We are both Elton John fans, so you couldn't go wrong here.

May I challenge you to try a rap song next time? I'm very curious how that will sound ;-)

Rob

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Song machine!!

smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
man, a super pop write

progression really reminds me of EJ

I like the vocal effects

nice job,

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Al & Di !

You know that I have
a flair for experimenting
with different backgrounds
so I like to listen to your
experimenting - in this case
a very nice one !:))

Cheers
Dani

Hi Dani,

Yes, and I love the way you experiment with your sound. Thanks for the nice words - really appreciate them.

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Alan and Di

I think you've captured what you set out to achieve very well.

Great lyrics.

The instrumental slotted in seamlessly and the overall feel works just like you wanted.

A great production, no question.

Hii VT!

Thanks for the losten and the input. So glad you liked it. Thanks for letting me know!

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Sounds good Alan! Vocal double in chorus is a good effect! I think you might consider doing this as a slower ballad. I could really hear that working well too! Thanks, Torrey

Hi Torrey,

Delighted you enjoyed it! O want to clean up the vocal on the - chorus as it seems to get a little lost on the mix - a little much reverb, I think, and maybe bring down the higher EQ just a bit. I'll run it about 10 or 12 bpm slower and see what kind of sound I get. I always appreciate intuitive suggestions!

Best to you,

Alan

Last edited by Al-David; 10/23/17 05:04 PM.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

It is great the you are stepping out of your zone! And doing a fine job.

I like the chorus vocal effects. In fact I think you ought to get "heavier" with effects for this particular song. Include them on the verses, too... I'd even go so far as to try the "cranked up Autotune effect". I think it would really work on this.

I always had a sense that EJ's piano was brighter sounding that this (I'd up the high EQ to bring that out).

A good pop write.

Enjoyed it.

floyd

Thanks for the input, Floyd. Glad you liked it. I'll play around with the EQ on the piano. It's a midi track and I had quite a struggle getting the EQ as bright as I did ... it just didn't respond well to the attempts to brighten it. I tried 6 or 8 real Tracks but couldn't find one that worked.

I', still evaluating the chorus. I'm not real happy with it and I posted it in order to get feedback like yours. I'm debating whether or not to double the voice on the verses or to add a half-octave higher harmony voice; maybe even add a half-octave lower to offset the higher.

Hmmm ... the cranked up autotune! Ya know, that just might work. Never thought about that. Might play around with that as my new vocal processor has their version of autotune on it.

You've given me some great ideas to play around with. I'll see how it sounds using those suggestions - thanks! Best to you.

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Alan,
You have absorbed your lessons listening to the music you enjoy and it shows-this is a really good pop song!
The arrangement sounds on point and I especially enjoyed the chorus... be interesting to see if you come up with a second version.
Certainly go play outside the comfort zone - its an encouragement to all listening here.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks so much for the listen and really nice comments! It's fun to step outside one's comfort zone here and there. Sometimes it works out pretty good and not so good other times. But you do9n't know until you make the journey.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. If I redo it, I'll post it. Best to you,

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Alan, well you know that we always appreciate when users try something else. And we might say that you definitely succeeded here. A nice different sound, and especially the chorus has a very cool ring to it. We are both Elton John fans, so you couldn't go wrong here.

May I challenge you to try a rap song next time? I'm very curious how that will sound ;-)

Rob

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the nice comments. I appreciate the encouragement and positive feedback. When I get time, I hope to "polish" this a little bit.

Hmmm ... a Rap song? Now, that's a real challenge! If I can come up with something, I'll do it!

Best to both of you.

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Song machine!!

smile

Ha! But the rhetorical question: Is there any quality in the quantity? That's what I need to keep in mind.

BTW ... I have quite a few more ready to go. But I like to wait at least a few days between posts. Best top you and yours.

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
man, a super pop write

progression really reminds me of EJ

I like the vocal effects

nice job,

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny

Kenny!

You are entirely too kind! But I thank you for the encouragement and kindness. This is still pretty rough but I hope to get back to it and give it a little more "zing"! Best to you, my friend.

Alan

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,552
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199