Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Anyone want to do a Master in Music degree one year course at Berklee,

Get your music degree

Fees are reasonable too just over $33,000

smile

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 11/04/17 02:20 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wow! 33k for an online degree, I guess in South Africa we think education is so expensive but is nowhere in this range. I hope it is good smile

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Berklee may not be well known around the world but it truly is right up there among the top 5 schools anywhere. Some of the most legendary players we all know and love are Berklee grads. Here's a list of Grammy winners:

https://www.berklee.edu/awards/alumni-grammy-winners

I will point out on occasion that performers who people think just made it by being self taught in their parents basements are actually highly educated almost genius level players. This isn't publicized much so the average person thinks for example that Branford Marsalis picked up what he knows by playing Dixiland in bars in New Orleans. Riiight.

You want to make it in the music biz? This is what you need.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well I did the music production course a few times, a number of years ago on Coursera, that was taught by Loudon Stearns from Berklee.

Brilliant course and was free at the time, even though I did it a few times, have forgotten a lot of the stuff.

I need to do a brush up on the videos that I saved form then.

musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 11/04/17 08:00 AM.

Musiclover

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Well I did the music production course a few times, a number of years ago on Coursera, that was taught by Loudon Stearns from Berklee.

Brilliant course and was free at the time, even though I did it a few times, have forgotten a lot of the stuff.

I need to do a brush up on the videos that I saved form then.

musiclover

The courses are still available for free. You just have to take some extra steps to AUDIT the course instead of signing up for a specialization certificate. The career specialization certificate has proven to be profitable for both Berklee and Coursera.

+++ HERE +++ is a link to all the courses Berklee presently offers through Coursera. Again, all of these courses are available for free when you AUDIT the course.

Also, +++ TAKE A LOOK +++ at the free training videos Berklee offers on YouTube.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Classic shovel seller! From what I've read, their graduates can learn excellent music skills but they finish with enormous debt, a trade school degree and no significant opportunities in good paying careers in music!

I've taken several of the free Coursera Berklee courses and was totally unimpressed! You learn more at Groove3 for $29!

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 11/04/17 01:33 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Classic shovel seller! From what I've read, their graduates can learn excellent music skills but they finish with enormous debt, a trade school degree and no significant opportunities in good paying careers in music!

I've taken several of the free Coursera Berklee courses and was totally unimpressed! You learn more at Groove3 for $29!

Did you try the Music production stuff by Loudon Sterns J3? Probably pretty basic stuff for some users here maybe including yourself, but I thought it was pretty good.

Groove3 is good as well, they ran a free 3 day trial for a long time, Thanks Music Student (Dan) for making us aware of that promo, unfortunately finished now.

Musiclover

Musiclover

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
JohnJohnJohn,

I'm very sorry you were not impressed with the free Berklee courses offered on Coursera. I'm very interested in knowing what, or which, course(s) you subscribed to and why the course(s) did not meet your expectations.

I admit I've had excellent experience with the courses I audited and continue to use the videos, pdf files and transcripts as reference sources.

I also agree that Groove3 puts out some fine tutorial videos. I own the +++ Band-in-a-Box for Windows +++ and the +++ Band-in-a-Box for Mac +++ as well as video tutorials for +++ Music Creator 6 +++ . In fact all videos are 1/2 price and All Access for a years is $99. They are worth every penny.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

Did you try the Music production stuff by Loudon Sterns J3? Probably pretty basic stuff for some users here maybe including yourself, but I thought it was pretty good.

Groove3 is good as well, they ran a free 3 day trial for a long time, Thanks Music Student (Dan) for making us aware of that promo, unfortunately finished now.

Musiclover

I took the Coursera Pat Pattison songwriting class and it seemed like it was patched together from other classes. Plus I really did not enjoy Pattison's teaching style at all. I found myself watching his videos at 2x speed just to get through them! smile

I love Groove3. I have purchased a bunch of theirs including the BIAB course and one on mixing and several on Native Instruments tools. They always feel really complete and I learn useful stuff.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
JohnJohnJohn,

I'm very sorry you were not impressed with the free Berklee courses offered on Coursera. I'm very interested in knowing what, or which, course(s) you subscribed to and why the course(s) did not meet your expectations.

I admit I've had excellent experience with the courses I audited and continue to use the videos, pdf files and transcripts as reference sources.

I also agree that Groove3 puts out some fine tutorial videos. I own the +++ Band-in-a-Box for Windows +++ and the +++ Band-in-a-Box for Mac +++ as well as video tutorials for +++ Music Creator 6 +++ . In fact all videos are 1/2 price and All Access for a years is $99. They are worth every penny.

The one I really didn't like was the Pat Pattison Coursera on songwriting. But I agree the Groove3 courses are really good!

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 11/04/17 08:43 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal

Bob

Hi bob
I have to respectfully say that I do not believe this is true. I am sure there are many many people who have not done this who have made it in the music biz. (And many who have taken it that have wondered what to do with it once they have finished). It is like saying everything that has a trunk is an elephant. I don’t think it is necessary to spend 33k to “make it”. Talent, grind, guts is probably more accurate (with talent being the last on the list).

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Joanne, why do people including you in this case not simply "read into" what someone is saying without the author having to qualify Every. Single. Thing?

OF COURSE not everyone who makes it in music is a graduate of Berklee. Jeesh. They could be from UCLA School of Musuc, or Columbia of any one of the very good European schools. My point was way more famous players, songwriters, performers, behind the scenes producers are highly educated graduates of these schools than most of us are aware of. If you even want a chance in the biz it helps to have this education. Are there exceptions, of course. It's not just the education itself, it's also the contacts you make while you're there.

One of my favorite examples is a famous and very wealthy heavy metal/grunge guitarist for a group I can't remember the name of now. He looks like a refugee from a homeless shelter but was raised by a mother who's a concert pianist, he grew up playing her Steinway in their living room starting at about 5 years old and she put him through one of these schools. That came out in an interview I read with him in Rolling Stone a few years ago. I think it's the majority of well known performers with this background, not the minority. Look at our favorite company right here PG Music as in Peter Gannon. People in the know around here refer to him as Dr Gannon so he's got some background too.

AND JJJ OF COURSE the number of real jobs in the music biz is small even for these grads. Everybody knows that. It's equally tough to find jobs for grads in lots of other fields too. It's always been hard. It usually boils down to who you know and how good your networking skills are. Nothing new there either. Making it in the world is a grind no matter who you are and what your education is. Generally though, the more education you have the better. It's only the ignorant who don't understand this.

Anyway all I'm saying is if someone is inclined to pick a music school to focus all that time and money on Berklee is a great choice.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Not sure what I can add, but let me give you my perspective.

First, as the resident "music-student" grin here in the forum, it may not surprise any that I have an on-line certificate for Jazz performance from Berklee. I was an early adopter of the Berklee on-line program circa 2000. At the time the program content was better than any other options I had for studying in a systematic professional academic structured course from experts. My Berklee study was supplemented by one-on-one lessons with Local guitar teachers. The Berklee class material for guitar performance was excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience.

However, it was not cheap nor should it have been. You need to "invest" in the things you love. That was then and this is now. Over the past 15 years we have all seen the amount of web based training for music performance skyrocket. This is the information age and it is all on the web. I have in the past years "invested" in web-based guitar instruction that provides content and structure as good as my Berklee classes at a fraction of the cost. No certificates or degrees that you can put on a resume, but priceless value. And in terms of networking, no - not as good as rubbing shoulders with the pro's and soon to be pro's in a classroom, but you would be surprised at who I have had "communications" with.

There is one other aspect that is likely unique to an individual who will shell out a small fortune for a Berklee degree. From my experience with young musicians, the ones who take it to that level do so because "that is the only thing they can do". Don't get me wrong here, I don't say that as a negative. What I mean is that music is so in their souls that they will pursue this career no matter what.

Finally, is academics important, from my life experience, hell yes. Without my education I would not have had the life I did. However, when I encouraged my children to take a similar Ivy league route, my boys were having nothing to do with it and went into the trades and life is good.

But that was then and this is now....

MusicStudent
aka, Dr. Dan

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Berklee may not be well known around the world but it truly is right up there among the top 5 schools anywhere.

Maybe you meant "top 5 music trade/vocational schools"? I just did a quick look at the top 1000 universities and Berklee did not make that list! smile

AND JJJ OF COURSE the number of real jobs in the music biz is small even for these grads. Everybody knows that. It's equally tough to find jobs for grads in lots of other fields too. It's always been hard. It usually boils down to who you know and how good your networking skills are. Nothing new there either. Making it in the world is a grind no matter who you are and what your education is. Generally though, the more education you have the better. It's only the ignorant who don't understand this.

My problem with Berklee is twofold, 1) they charge a fortune for even an online degree (where you get very little of the supposed networking benefits) and 2) they churn out far more graduates than there are careers in music by implying a much greater chance of success than most graduates can ever realize.

And yes, I get that there are other areas where an expensive degree can result in low-paying or no job in your field. Things like Art History, Journalism or Psychology come to mind! But the reason I call Berklee a shovel seller is because they are playing to the passion and deep desire of students to succeed in a career in music when in fact they know that the majority will never make it. And it is not that they won't make it because of a lack of talent or a good solid music education; they won't make it because there are not nearly as many jobs as there are Berklee grads!

I have no doubt that anyone who goes to Berklee can obtain a great knowledge of music. And I believe that knowledge, and possible networking if you do the in-person courses, can most definitely put you in a better place when it comes to possible careers in music. But if there are only 5 jobs and you move from #1000 to #10 because of your Berklee degree you'll still be waiting tables while paying back your student loan for the next 20 years!

And, to be clear, I am not saying Berklee is not excellent. And I am not saying you should pursue a degree in something that is not your passion just because the job prospects are better. I am simply saying go into it with your eyes wide open and try not to fall for the marketing hype. Becoming rich and famous in music is about as likely as winning the lottery and a Berklee degree is not going to increase your odds very much. But maybe that Berklee degree will help you make a meager living while enjoying your passion. And if that is good enough then go for it!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have never really seen a discussion as moot as this one. If you have 33 large to spend on an ONLINE college degree program, to then be a music hobbyist like 99% of us here are, go for it. And if you are female, please consider this a marriage proposal if you have money to waste on something that is not likely to really increase your earning potential in music.

Through many of my posts, you ALL know by now that I am a HUGE fan of learning theory. But I have also always made it clear that knowing theory does not make you a good player. It allows you to understand what you are listening to at a higher level, but that does not translate to skills.

Look at this list of names.

Lionel Richie
Michael Jackson
All 4 Beatles
Dave Grohl
Slash
Eric Claptop
Elvis
Eddie Van Halen
Jimi Hendrix

And the list goes on. None of them can read music. I remember once I saw an interview with Dave Grohl. Somebody asked him about the chords for Evermore. His answer was "I can't tell you what they are. I can pick up a guitar and know where to put my fingers, but I don't know what they are." Van Halen, a classical pianist, learned all of that by ear. He can't read.

Fundamentals (theory) are a tool to help you analyze.

I can tell you in 10 minutes what is wrong with your golf swing, but I never broke par. (All time best of 2 over, 74.)

Some outstanding people have Berklee degrees.

Gary Burton, Jeff Lorber, Quincy Jones, Al DiMeola, Donald Fagan, Joe Zawinal, Branford Marsalis, John Petrucci, Ernie Watts.... and on and on forever.

Does anybody doubt that they would probably have succeeded without Berklee?

33 grand? To attend ONLINE college? I think not.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I’m not going to weigh in on whether their 33 large is worth it. I have found every online class that I have taken from Berklee to be enlightening for what it cost me which was nothing. This includes the Pattison songwriting course. If I recall correctly, it was advertised as being a portion of various courses. I still remember and employ techniques that I learned in that class when I write songs. The jazz improvisation course taught by Gary Burton kicked my rear end. I’m glad they have their stuff available for audit

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
I’m not going to weigh in on whether their 33 large is worth it. I have found every online class that I have taken from Berklee to be enlightening for what it cost me which was nothing. This includes the Pattison songwriting course. If I recall correctly, it was advertised as being a portion of various courses. I still remember and employ techniques that I learned in that class when I write songs. The jazz improvisation course taught by Gary Burton kicked my rear end. I’m glad they have their stuff available for audit

Ditto on both Pattison and Burton's free courses - I had the same experience.

However, the performance courses for Chords and Scales have never been available for "audit" that I know of. These were tough courses with multiple weekly assignments which had to be performed, recorded and submitted for grading. More than a few of the students were well over their heads in keeping up. Me, I did OK, but no gold stars. smile

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good luck. There are links above to both free and paid online courses. Also, try YouTube and various search terms like, "music theory", "mixing" and "audio production".

Band-in-a-Box also has many tools to help you with ear training, chords, progressions, song structure, sight reading and instrument practice.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,662
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200