Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4403 01/22/08 07:56 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
A
OP Offline
A
This is a wish, that one day band in a box will come out for linux to, More and more people are useing linux as the main operating system, and i think there may be a marked for band in a box on that operating system, i will be happy to be the first to buy it when that happend.

I hope more people could write after me to here, so they can se that we linux user actually are here.

regards Alf Tonny

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
S
I definitely agree. I am a happy Ubuntu user and I would buy BIAB for Linux today.

Regards,

Pedro

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
A
OP Offline
A
Ahh, finaly someone.. I was starting to worry here, that i was the only linux user on this forum..;)

Linux users, pleace raise your voice, so they know we are here.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
You could try Wine:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8802#N0xa50890.0xb45bf0

But I'd rather see a native implementation.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
A
A
hello,

Ohhhh yes !!! It would be soooooooo great ! Now is the time for Linux ! You have a great multimedia linux distribution for that : ubuntustudio.

pgmusic guys, your move now ;-)

Armand

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
P
It would be great!

But there's a lot of popular linuxes out there which might make it tricky for developers. I picked up this thread on a Ubuntu site but I use Fedora - probably the two main types with deb or rpm packaging - so perhaps not too difficult.

Now that my pretty new 64 bit Vista has trashed itself due to badly written Windows Updates I'm thinking of revisiting Band in a Box 2008 under Wine while I wait for Microsoft fixes. I rarely use windows anyway.

Has anyone had any luck with this? I can install BIAB 2008 under wine but I have a lot of dll problems - if I just run (with wine) the installed vista version off the the vista partition it looks great but it can't find the midi/sound drivers. Apparently BIAB 2007 installs and works fine under wine but I imagine that was for a 32 bit linux. Comments/suggestions welcome

Cheers, Peter

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
A
OP Offline
A
It great to se that there are more people who care about this. The Wine is and ok solution, but to manny thing that can go wrong to. I Think if they make BIAB for linux to, more people could have the satifactions of using the program in different operative system, and without useing 3 part program as wine.

I don't think it's a problem to make it work on all those popular linux distro.

I have not try BIAB 2008 on wine, so i can't help you there petebaker.. So let us get more linux people sign here so they make a distro for us linux users to..;)

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
A
A
I agree! It's time to make the step out of windows. Ubuntu and linux is much more interesting for more and more people and it's free. But, biab and pt does not work good enough with wine yet. I've tried BIAB 2008, PT12 under ubuntu 7.10 and wine 0.9.59. Both biab and pt work with my yamaha cp300 and the free SFZ VST plugin (using sf2-files), but it's very unstable with vst plugin. Some of the graphics is not stable. The repeat sign disappear in BIAB, and some of the windows hides, then you have to move windows to catch the boxes. In PT some of the icons for minimized windows are very strange. But it is so near perfect, it works 95 – 99%.
Next week Canonical is going to release Ubuntu 8.04 – a very nice distro, with new pulse-audio soundsystem. In june Winehq is going to release ver. 1.0. The analytics like Gartner says that windows is nearly dead like an old dinosaur, because of the heavy structure.....
More and more people, schools and official instutions discover and swap to linux now, and the only reason for using windows is a few important apps like BIAB, PT and Finale. So PG-MUSIC -Please make the step out of MSWINDOWS!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
A
A
Or maybe it is too expensive for pgmusic team to develop for linux. So there is a solution. Why don't you (pgmusic developpers) compile BIAB with the wine-libs as google team with picasa software ?

It will be a great gain of time for you (compilation and test with wine-libs), a great solution for us because if we have BIAB compile with wine-libs then BIAB will be fully operationnal on Linux.

Please, make a step !

Best regards,

Armand.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've just installed BIAB on Ubuntu 7.10 and have a strange problem.
Whilst the text in the drop down hints read fine, the text under the buttons and also in the style list looks like an attempt at making a graphic of a sound wave.
I can actually use it, because the description of the style still comes up in normal text, but it is very time-consuming moving down one style at a time and reading the description before I am able to pick a style.

tony
Lenovo lappie, 4Gb RAM, 500Gb HD
Ubuntu 12.04
Running BIAB under WINE
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
From the article raintalk cited, dated March 30, 2006:

Quote:

"After 12 years at the alpha-release level, Wine is now officially a beta-stage project. Hopefully, this event signals a more consistently stable environment, but some programs still may behave erratically. The Wine documentation gives detailed instructions for submitting useful bug reports, so if you find that your favorite Windows program doesn't work well (or at all) under Wine, you can help yourself and the project by submitting a report.

Wine's support for basic sound and MIDI is good, and support for audio extensions such as Microsoft's DirectX is improving, but you won't be able to use Wine to run large, integrated multimedia applications, such as Cubase or SONAR. However, Wine can run a variety of sound and music programs, even some fairly big packages. Check the Wine Web site (see the on-line Resources) for links to lists that rate the compatibility of various Windows applications."

There was also this on using a demo of BIAB 2004:

Quote:

"Band-in-a-Box is an automatic accompaniment generator. The program creates a virtual backing band that interprets a series of user-defined chord changes according to a selected “style”. A Band-in-a-Box style is a set of rules governing quantifiable aspects of a particular music performance style, such as country swing, rhumba, waltz time, blues shuffle and so forth. When the user clicks the Play control, the program processes the chord changes by the style rules, generates a real-time performance stream and plays it with your preferred MIDI synthesizer. Voilà, you have your dream rehearsal band.

Band-in-a-Box is the reigning king of the auto-accompaniment software domain. Need to play those changes more slowly? No problem, Band-in-a-Box is a MIDI-based program, so you can adjust the tempo to whatever speed is most comfortable. Want those chords played in a different meter or rhythm? Still no problem, Band-in-a-Box supplies hundreds of styles to choose from, and if you don't like what's included with the base package, you can design your own or access literally thousands of styles and arrangements created and freely distributed by the program's vast base of users and style developers. Don't like the instrumentation for a particular style? Change it on the fly, add or subtract players from the band, or mute parts at will.

I downloaded the most recent Band-in-a-Box demo from the program's Web site and installed it with wine bbw2004demo.exe at an xterm prompt. I entered my new ~/c/bbdemo directory and ran wine bbwdemo to start Band-in-a-Box. I loaded an example style from the File/BB Song dialog, pressed the Play control and watched as the program apparently played the loaded style. Alas, there was no sound. I reconfigured the default MIDI output to go to the Emu10k1 synthesizer on my SBLive Value sound card, pressed Play, and behold, I had sound. I tested other built-in styles, all perfectly happy to perform as though they were playing under Windows itself.

I discovered only one potentially serious difficulty with the demo version. I configured the MIDI input device to the hardware port on the SBLive, but Band-in-a-Box would not record what I played on my MIDI keyboard. The program's virtual keyboard display worked perfectly, but I prefer to record directly from the hardware interface, so perhaps it's time to fire up the Wine debugging tools."

Perhaps the recording issue had to do with its being a demo; perhaps not. Worth checking to see what's going on now, though, yes?

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
N
N
From the article posted above:

"Band-in-a-Box has the honor of a place in the Wine AppDB Gold 10, a selection of Windows applications that has demonstrated consistently excellent performance under Wine. By the measure of my simple tests, I must concur with that rating. Band-in-a-Box is an excellent music application that runs beautifully under emulation. Consider it double-plus recommended."

Now, that article was written in 2006 and the author used a 2004 demo. Does anyone have a more up-to-date experience?
I am previewing various distros and it's just a matter of time that I go to Linux. There are a couple that are "dedicated" to music and art, and these would be my likely candidates..
To have my favorite music program work in one of those distros would be real nice. BIAB is one of only a couple of progs that keep me tethered to Windows...
When ReactOS gets their stuff together, we won't have to run in emulation... Woo-Hoo!
Angelo

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
A
OP Offline
A
It's been a wile sins i was in here, wow, what a respond there have been.

im a daily user of the rosegarden musik program, and i miss everyday the possibility to use the BIAB program to make the accord arround my melodies, (had that posibilities in windows) but i went over to the linux systems, and the one thing i realy miss is the BIAB posibilies. I don't like to use BIAB with wine becouse of the unstable problems that follows.

So maybe this tread will trigger a better compatibility for the BIAB, in wine, or just that they make BIAB for linux to.. i beleve that there is a marked for it in linux to.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
K
K
hey, linux user here too. have you guys tried asiowine? It's an addition to wine that lets you choose asio drivers in the windows app. I've got lots of stuff to work under this, haven't tried biab tho. I'm ubuntu studio-ifying a notebook tomorrow, and am looking forward to try out the demo. Search for asiowine and you should find it fairly easily. I remember you had to compile it yourself, but it wasn't too hard.

A linux port would be awsome, but I think a major UI overhaul is called for before anything gets ported. (so it suites the "slimmer and better" linux motto) Not that it would happen..

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
A
A
Hi, nobody from pgmusic to give us some informations ?

Don't you want to make a linux version using the windows code and compiling with winelibs as google has done with picasa ?

The date of the release of wine 1.0 is near now : http://www.winehq.org/ . The latest release candidate 1.0 rc5 is out to day.

Please give us some hope !

Armand
PS : anyway thanks for developping BIAB.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
J
First of all, I think trying for a Linux version of Biab would be highly wished for. I have one computer running XP Pro for Biab, and another one running the latest version of OpenSuSe's Linux: Version 11--free download like all the rest. The reason I mention this is that it appears to be the most stable and functional version of Linux yet offered in the free arena. Put it on several weeks ago, and it has been stable, even after I 'tweak' the system to be able to do all the audio things I want to do. However, as concerns Biab, there are some issues to consider. I'll give you a short list of my experience with Linux, music apps, and Biab on Wine.

1. Wine is great...for some things. Yes, I've been able to get Biab 2007 to work on it, but there are a number 'gotchas' with it. Plays fine, and at full speed, since Wine isn't really an emulator. Recording presents some issues, though.
2. Being a capitalist on tuesdays and thursdays ; ) I can see a high degree of down-side to producing a version under any Linux. Free software. Reason is that PG Music is about the best in the entire software arena in the area of user support. I would hate to lose that!!! Yeah, some folks will pay, but not all, and that would seriously cut into the bottom line. Also, the version problem also has to do with the compiler version that they would use...You can build in some backward compatibility in that regard, but you really have to get in and fiddle to make that work. Then you would have to ship it as source code so that it could be re-compiled on anyone's version...aye, there's the rub!
3. If you are going to make an attempt to run Biab (Windows version) under Wine, then you probably want to use OSS instead of fooling with Jack or ALSA...There is a world of headaches there, which have not, to this date, been resolved.

There is a lot more to consider, but maybe we can find a way to determine what we really need to do under Biab, and what we'd be willing to forgo. In short, if all you want to do is use it for playback, you CAN make that happen now. I've done it. Good luck with this, and hope something good comes out of the thread you've started here!

Joe Fay

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
J
While I agree that a good work around is possible by compiling against the Wine libs, both Linux and Wine are moving targets. There would have to be frequent 'Linux updates' posted on the pg website to keep up with all the updates to the Wine libs. One would have to freeze their version of Linux AND their working version of Wine in order to make it practical for PG to support it. Personally, I would have no trouble doing that, since I've found a really nice version of Linux (OpenSuse 11.0). BTW, I tried the very nice and latest version of Ubuntu, and while it installs flawlessly, it is (on my system) about 1/2 the speed of the i386 version of Suse 11.0.

Joey45

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
D
I recently installed biab 2009 on my fedora 9 machine. Mostly it works well, especially with the audigy ;-) There were a couple of dlls that needed to be copied in order to get it going.
Biab will not however generate any real tracks - it fails with a window that is impossible to dismiss displaying 0%. The command prompt displays:
fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
over and over. It appears to be an unimplemented function call.
The program seems also to not deal with the realtracks wma files, but even sidestepping this step by making them into wav format (using mplayer) did not allow realtracks to be generated.
Pretty much everything else worked.
Things for Linux are definitely improving - all the latest high end creative X-Fi cards now have open source drivers ;-)
+1 I encourage pgmusic to consider a native linux version

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
N
Apprentice
Apprentice
N
Personally am just recent happy that it runs OK in XP.

My next try will be running in a virtual environment, rather than Wine. I think Wine is good, but after good there's always better, meaning it's the future of computing, and more resources are behind it therefore.

There will be no operating systems any more as we know them, I feel. The sky will fall, but the Clouds will remain.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
A
A
Well, no good sign from pgmusic to have a band in a box 2009 running on Linux ?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,497
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195