You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#439195 - 11/21/17 10:01 AM [Songwriting] Titling Instrumentals
Loc: Alabama, USA
Al-David Offline
Veteran

I write a lot of instrumentals in a wide variety of genres. For extemporaneous ones, not those written to spec or something similar, I always have a really tough time getting a decent, original title. The titles offered by BIAB rarely sound good to me. Occasionally, something will pop into my head (lots of room for lots of ideas to pop in!) that sounds terrific. But, that's more the exception than the rule.

Those of you who often or frequently compose instrumentals, how do you decide on a title? As I mentioned in the preceding paragraph, the BIAB title generator seldom gives me anything I'm happy with. Thanks in advance.

Alan

Edited by Al-David (11/21/17 10:02 AM)

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#439259 - 11/21/17 11:32 AM [Songwriting] Re: Titling Instrumentals [Re: Al-David]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Use the generator as an idea kick starter.

Yeah, it does come up with some weird names.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#439468 - 11/22/17 07:33 AM [Songwriting] Re: Titling Instrumentals [Re: Al-David]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Something I do is think of a hypothetical movie scene or situation that the song might be played over. From there, I choose a word or phrase that really highlights that scene and ties it together with the music.

Overall though, I try not to worry about song titles too much because I can tell that the titles of some of my favorite instrumental tunes were just arbitrarily chosen. Songs like Green Onions by Booker T. and The MG's, or Moby Dick by Led Zeppelin. Not to mention the majority of the more modern post rock and electronic I listen to is instrumental, and those song titles are randomly chosen it would seem.

It's a cool thought though - would love to hear how others come up with their song titles!

#439542 - 11/22/17 11:29 AM [Songwriting] Re: Titling Instrumentals [Re: Al-David]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

I always like to go with Pink Avocado on the Moon: Part 5, Return of the Dove.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#439569 - 11/22/17 12:37 PM [Songwriting] Re: Titling Instrumentals [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Washington State
bluage Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Washington State
Hi, Al-David...

When it comes to titling instrumentals, I get some fairly good mileage out of thinking, "What could my song sound like to my listeners?" It seems to part the clouds and allow more inspiration in considering the wide range of associations they might make with the music...

LOREN

P.S. Ms. Diane, if you received a penny for how often you are in my thoughts, you'd have a whole mess 'a pennies! Still praying and wishing you well. I hope both of you enjoy a memorable and spiritually rewarding Thanksgiving celebration smile .

#439597 - 11/22/17 01:27 PM [Songwriting] Re: Titling Instrumentals [Re: Al-David]
Kent - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

If a song has lyrics, I might be telling a story, and I can pull my title from the lyrics, but with instrumentals, I'm trying to invoke a feeling and put the listener in a place, and my title will reflect that.

My instrumentals tend to be pretty heavy on atmosphere/ambience, and I keep their titles fairly vague (to avoid being heavy-handed), maybe just a word that I associate with that feeling. I also find that the less I really think about it, the better it tends to turn out. smile

Cheers
Kent
PG Music

#439622 - 11/22/17 02:25 PM [Songwriting] Re: Titling Instrumentals [Re: Al-David]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

But seriously, man, get the dictionary of similes on Amazon for 9.99 and you will never want for another song title in your life.

You didn't like Pink Avocado on the Moon: Part Four, Return of the Dove in Nocturne of Brazilian Sky?

I think Al DiMeola might already have claimed it though.

wink

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#439675 - 11/22/17 05:41 PM [Songwriting] Re: Titling Instrumentals [Re: Guitarhacker]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Thanks Herb. I often try to combine several different ones BIAB suggests.

#439676 - 11/22/17 05:43 PM [Songwriting] Re: Titling Instrumentals [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Something I do is think of a hypothetical movie scene or situation that the song might be played over. From there, I choose a word or phrase that really highlights that scene and ties it together with the music.

Overall though, I try not to worry about song titles too much because I can tell that the titles of some of my favorite instrumental tunes were just arbitrarily chosen. Songs like Green Onions by Booker T. and The MG's, or Moby Dick by Led Zeppelin. Not to mention the majority of the more modern post rock and electronic I listen to is instrumental, and those song titles are randomly chosen it would seem.

It's a cool thought though - would love to hear how others come up with their song titles!

Hi Deryk,

Some good thoughts there! If you remember Booker T and the MGs, you're much older than I would have thought!!! I'll be 71 pretty soon and I was in high school when "Green Onions" was a big hit! And yeah, maybe I overthink it. Thanks for your input.

Alan

#439678 - 11/22/17 05:44 PM [Songwriting] Re: Titling Instrumentals [Re: David Snyder]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

I always like to go with Pink Avocado on the Moon: Part 5, Return of the Dove.

Hey David,

I'm not familiar with Pink Avocado On the Moon - Part 5 or any other part. But I'll check it out. Thanks!

#439680 - 11/22/17 05:48 PM [Songwriting] Re: Titling Instrumentals [Re: bluage]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: bluage
Hi, Al-David...

When it comes to titling instrumentals, I get some fairly good mileage out of thinking, "What could my song sound like to my listeners?" It seems to part the clouds and allow more inspiration in considering the wide range of associations they might make with the music...

LOREN

P.S. Ms. Diane, if you received a penny for how often you are in my thoughts, you'd have a whole mess 'a pennies! Still praying and wishing you well. I hope both of you enjoy a memorable and spiritually rewarding Thanksgiving celebration smile .

Hi Loren.

It's always such a pleasure to hear from you - missing your wonderful music on the boards, though.

And perhaps you are right ... think of how my listeners would perceive it. Thanks for the great suggestion.

And thank you so much for your wonderful and compassionate thoughts about my wife. We both appreciate your kindness and well wishes very much. I'll bring this post to her attention tomorrow.

And, in turn, we wish you and yours a most special and blessed holiday. with warmest thoughts,

Alan & Di

#439683 - 11/22/17 05:50 PM [Songwriting] Re: Titling Instrumentals [Re: Kent - PG Music]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Kent - PG Music
If a song has lyrics, I might be telling a story, and I can pull my title from the lyrics, but with instrumentals, I'm trying to invoke a feeling and put the listener in a place, and my title will reflect that.

My instrumentals tend to be pretty heavy on atmosphere/ambience, and I keep their titles fairly vague (to avoid being heavy-handed), maybe just a word that I associate with that feeling. I also find that the less I really think about it, the better it tends to turn out. smile

Cheers
Kent
PG Music

Hi Kent,

So good to "meet" you. I don't think I've heard from you before. And you're probably right - don't think too much about it and just go with something. I sometimes overthink. Thanks for rattling my cage with a good thought! best to you.

Alan

#439685 - 11/22/17 05:53 PM [Songwriting] Re: Titling Instrumentals [Re: David Snyder]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
But seriously, man, get the dictionary of similes on Amazon for 9.99 and you will never want for another song title in your life.

You didn't like Pink Avocado on the Moon: Part Four, Return of the Dove in Nocturne of Brazilian Sky?

I think Al DiMeola might already have claimed it though.

wink

Hey Again ,

Nope ... Pink Avocado On The Moon wasn't on my musical calendar. Perhaps I missed out on something good?

I'll run over to Amazon tomorrow and take a look at that book you suggested. Thanks for thre suggestion!

Wishing you and yours a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving.

Alan

#439839 - 11/23/17 07:34 AM [Songwriting] Re: Titling Instrumentals [Re: Al-David]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hi Deryk,

Some good thoughts there! If you remember Booker T and the MGs, you're much older than I would have thought!!! I'll be 71 pretty soon and I was in high school when "Green Onions" was a big hit! And yeah, maybe I overthink it. Thanks for your input.

Alan

I am fairly young you could say; I'm in my mid 20's. Green Onions will always be a hit in my books smile I've just been lucky to have parents that introduced me to older music. Some of those older artists like Booker T., Everly Brothers, Bill Withers, to name a few, will always hold a special place in my heart.

Edited by Deryk - PG Music (11/23/17 08:24 AM)

#440051 - 11/23/17 07:02 PM [Songwriting] Re: Titling Instrumentals [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Deryk,

That's really cool! Your parents are to be commended! And all of us who post on the Showcase Forum appreciate all the great feedback we get from you and the other PG Music folks who spend some time there. Thanks for all that!

Alan

Edited by Al-David (11/23/17 07:03 PM)

#440181 - 11/24/17 06:37 AM [Songwriting] Re: Titling Instrumentals [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

I am fairly young you could say; I'm in my mid 20's. Green Onions will always be a hit in my books smile I've just been lucky to have parents that introduced me to older music. Some of those older artists like Booker T., Everly Brothers, Bill Withers, to name a few, will always hold a special place in my heart.

Fairly young? I'd say that you are still a puppy!

Older music? Well if that doesn't get my dander up!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#440182 - 11/24/17 06:40 AM [Songwriting] Re: Titling Instrumentals [Re: Al-David]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Alan, naming my/our instrumentals sometimes is the hardest part of the song. Sometimes a name comes prior to the first track, sometimes during the recording and sometimes it never comes so I/we just pick something. I know this isn't much help but that's how it rolls here.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#440214 - 11/24/17 08:13 AM [Songwriting] Re: Titling Instrumentals [Re: Al-David]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Deryk,

That's really cool! Your parents are to be commended! And all of us who post on the Showcase Forum appreciate all the great feedback we get from you and the other PG Music folks who spend some time there. Thanks for all that!

Alan

Originally Posted By: MarioD

Alan - I definitely appreciate that my parents introduced me to the music they did! I'm quite happy my musical taste is as diverse as it is, and I owe a lot of that to my folks. I'm from a very musical family, so it was a big part of my upbringing.

Mario - I know, I know, I'm still a baby :P Older music is good music though! To a youngin like me anything before the 80's gets called "older music" - all about perspective though smile

#440879 - 11/26/17 08:11 PM [Songwriting] Re: Titling Instrumentals [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Deryk,

Alan

Alan - I definitely appreciate that my parents introduced me to the music they did! I'm quite happy my musical taste is as diverse as it is, and I owe a lot of that to my folks. I'm from a very musical family, so it was a big part of my upbringing.

Mario - I know, I know, I'm still a baby :P Older music is good music though! To a youngin like me anything before the 80's gets called "older music" - all about perspective though smile

Hi Deryk,

great to hear your family was musical and passed on some of their musical favorites to you. I started seriously listening to music in the late 1950s. Contrary to what many old farts like me think, (not referring to you, Mario!), I like to watch and listen to the evolution of the various musical genres. Pop, Country and Rock have changed dramatically over the past 50 years - Blues and Jazz much less so.

Thanks for all the work you and the other PG Staff do for us out here all over the world!

Alan

#440880 - 11/26/17 08:13 PM [Songwriting] Re: Titling Instrumentals [Re: MarioD]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Alan, naming my/our instrumentals sometimes is the hardest part of the song. Sometimes a name comes prior to the first track, sometimes during the recording and sometimes it never comes so I/we just pick something. I know this isn't much help but that's how it rolls here.

Mario,

That's pretty much the same on this end - most often "just pick something"! Occasionally the aura of a certain piece evokes something for me, but usually it's just whatever pops into my head.

Hope your T-Day was good. Ours was. best to you, my friend.

Alan

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
With Band-in-a-Box®, Making Music Has Never Been Easier!

We came across this recent post, Music Making Software: Record, Edit, Create and Share Your Own Songs, which includes Band-in-a-Box® in their list of software you'll need to record and edit your own songs!

One of our favourite products, and one that doesn’t seem to come up much in discussions about music making software, is Band-In-A-Box from PG Music. This is probably the longest established and certainly one of the most popular music making software packages of all time. Already packed with features, the latest version has added functions that in our opinion make this an essential buy for musicians in any genre, for keyboard players, guitarists, singers, in fact any musician looking for an outstanding tool to make the most of their creative ideas.
-www.musicrepo.com

The Download Manager - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

The "Download Manager" within Band-in-a-Box® for Windows is a great tool to confirm or help with the installation of your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows program!

What does the Download Manager do?
Automatically installs Band-in-a-Box® content (RealTracks, RealDrums, etc.) in the background, so you don't have to sit there the whole time! It can also confirm that you've completely installed your purchase.

How do you use it?
Within the program, go to Help | Utilities | Run Download/Install Manager now. Using your activation code, the program will analyze the installation folders, and list anything that still needs to be downloaded and installed.

Learn more about the Download Manager with this tutorial, or check out the topic within the Online Manual.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows Online Manual - Chord List & Shortcuts

Visit the Chord List of our Online Manual, and you'll see all the chords that can be used within the program! The list includes a few Tricky Chords and Shortcut Chords that you may find useful too!

Tricky Chords:
C5b This is "C flat 5." It is spelled this way to avoid confusion.
C2, C5, C4, C69, C7alt, Cm7#5
You can type C-7 for Cm7 (i.e. use the minus sign) or C7-9 for C7b9.

Shortcut Chords
If you enter a lot of songs, you will appreciate these shortcut keys.
J = Maj7
H = m7b5 (H stands for Half diminished)
D = dim
S = 7sus

There's even information on how to add your own chord shortcuts - check it out!

Video Request Answered - Creating Intros, Bridges, and Endings in Band-in-a-Box®

Check out the newest support video created by Kent that explains how to create intros, bridges, and endings in Band-in-a-Box®! Click here to view...

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker Feature

If you have a folder of songs that you'd always like easy access to within Band-in-a-Box, make sure you familiarize yourself with The SongPicker feature, which access the folder that you choose and lock it to!

Access the SongPicker by clicking on the [Song] button next to the title of the song within the main screen of Band-in-a-Box. The first time the SongPicker is opened, you can choose the folder to use to create the list by selecting [Change] and navigating to your preferred directory. Once chosen, select [OK - Make Song List], and Band-in-a-Box does the rest... the next time you click on [Song], you'll be taken directly to your preferred folder!

Learn even more about this feature within Chapter 5 of our Online Manual, here.

Just Launched - The FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

If you have a question (or questions!) about Band-in-a-Box®, PowerTracks, RealBand®, or any other PG Music Inc. product - whether it be technical support or pre-sales, there's now an easy one-stop spot to find the answer - our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

Don't want to read through the 600+ posts? Use the Search FAQ option, and you can choose your key search terms to locate the topic and answer you're looking for!

Common pre-sales questions about our products, ordering, and delivery:
Pre-Sales

Technical support & troubleshooting by product:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Band-in-a-Box® for Mac
RealBand® for Windows
PowerTracks Pro® Audio for Windows
Other Products

There's even a Request New FAQs forum, if you didn't see your question answered anywhere!

Over 190 Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Today's the day we say "Happy Birthday" to Adolphe Sax, the creator of the Saxophone!
(Adolphe was born November 6, 1814 - 32 years later he patended his saxophone creation!)

We have more than 190 Saxophone RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box with the following RealTracks Sets - review the complete list here.

Check our our Saxophonist programs for Windows:
The Jazz Saxophonist
The Rock Saxophonist

Forum Stats
28207 Members
59 Forums
54891 Topics
455195 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
rolandmammoliti, Lajos, stg, MichaelSF, Jaydude

28206 Registered Users