Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#443251 12/07/17 04:01 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Like A Thief In The Night

This is a song I wrote and recorded back in February of 2009, using my old music generation software. I redid it using all BIAB tracks and my TC-Helicon vocal processor. The vocal is a little too much up front in the mix. I've since done a new mix with the vocal set back just a tad but haven't posted it.

On the verses, I used a faint double of the lead vocal. On the Chorus, I added vocal harmony one octave higher. The entire vocal features delay with relatively short decay. I use my guitar amp (Peavey Nashville 112) as a power amp for my mixer. I applied a moderate amount of spring reverb from the amp. When I mixed the tracks in Audacity, I put a small amount of plate reverb on top of the spring reverb. That combination seems to have given the vocal a combination of depth and warmth - well, to the degree my vocal allows that to happen.

The original was a Pop Country Ballad. This version is a Pop Ballad but a few ticks faster and with somewhat of a Hip Hop style on the rhythm tracks.

On another note, Di is doing somewhat better. Thanks for the kindness you've shown her as her health declines. We sincerely appreciate it.

Hope you enjoy the song.

Alan

File:Like A Thief In The Night - Version 3 - BG Trax.SGU
Key=D , Tempo 95, Length (m:s)=3:32
Style is _SOULBAL.STY (Smooth Soul Ballad with Piano)

RealTracks in style: ~700:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 2811:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm SmoothSoulSlowMike Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~~1435:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkGroovinChords Ev16 110
Loop in Song: Dubstep\Dubstep - big_man_ting_70_drum_loop_1_f_minor sw16.wav
RealTracks in song: 2020:Sax, Tenor, Soloist PopCountryMark Ev 085 (Bluesy)
RealTracks in song: 1841:Synth Pad, PopModernGrooveHigh Ev16 075
RealDrums in Song: PopPromiseEv16^3-a: Snare on 4, HiHat , b: Snare, Ride

Like A Thief In The Night
© 2009 Alan D. David, BMI

(v1)
Forsaken by love, too many times
My heart overruled, the pleading inside
Not wanting to hurt again, I told mysef
Don’t go looking, and there’s nothing to find

(v2)
But you captured my heart, and still I don’t
How you foiled the chains, that locked it so tight
In the shadows of romance, you found the key
Then you stole my heart, like a thief in the night

CHORUS
You played your love song, using my heart strings
Filling the darkness, in my soul with your light
I didn’t know until, it was much too late
That you stole my heart, like a thief in the night

INSTRUMENTAL BREAK

(v3)
I wasn’t looking, for love or romance
Just some affection, in pieces and bits
But just like candlelight, teased by a breeze
Your kisses danced, so soft on my lips

(v4)
Slowly you taught me, that love’s not to blame
It’s just the victim, of a cheater’s delight
You soothed the hurt, then you made your move
When you sole my heart, like a thief in the night

Repeat CHORUS

Last edited by Al-David; 12/07/17 07:11 PM.

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Alan,

The vocal processing sounds really nice. Like you said, there is a "warmth" to it. I don't think it is too up-front...

Nice backing. Good mix. A good listen.

Best to you both...

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Al,
I can also hear the warmth in your vocal and enjoyed the old meets new sound.

Its not easy to make a common saying sound fresh, but these lyrics do!

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

The vocal processing sounds really nice. Like you said, there is a "warmth" to it. I don't think it is too up-front...

Nice backing. Good mix. A good listen.

Best to you both...

floyd

Thank you, Floyd. This one was a vocal stretch for me - the range. But, I think I got pretty close to getting it done. Thank you for the nice words.

Also, I'll take your word on the vocal placement in the mix. I'll leave it as is. I appreciate the feedback on that. wishing you and yours well.

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

User Showcase
Expert
Expert

Really nice; very well done as usual.

Sergio

Sergio
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Al,
I can also hear the warmth in your vocal and enjoyed the old meets new sound.

Its not easy to make a common saying sound fresh, but these lyrics do!

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for taking the time to listen and leave a few words. I'm glad the effects of the vocal processor are evident. I have a rather thin voice with a limited range but the processor tens to "beef it up" a bit! I need all the help I can get with vocals.

It's interesting you mention that particular verse - for two reasons. First, it's my favorite of the four. Second, on another music site for posting original music, several folks said the verse didn't make any sense to them. That was back in 2009. So, I was happy to see your comment on the verse.

As far as lyrics, with the few exceptions that that appear now and then, there are but a few subjects to address in a lyric:

I love you
I hate you
I miss you
I love being with you
You did me wrong
I did you wrong
I have a problem
I solved a problem
I drink to forget
I love my truck
Spiritual/Religious
It's a great day
It's a crappy day
She's gone
She came back
Social/Political rants
Love hurts
Love heals

There are probably a few others, also. Considering the many thousands (millions?) of songs written, that's a very narrow range of subjects.

One measure of writing a good lyric is finding a new and fresh way of saying things that have been said countless times in the past. Thus you comment on that last verse made me particularly happy. Thank you!

Wishing you the best,

Alan

Last edited by Al-David; 12/07/17 10:29 AM.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Really nice; very well done as usual.

Sergio

Thank you very much, Sergio! I'm happy to liked it. Wishing you the best.

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent tune Alan Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great lyric vocal and production.
Good work Al. Rob.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Very nice tracks.
I'm going to have to agree with Floyd that the vocals are not too much up front. To the contrary, the tendency with Biab is to let the backing track run unmodulated, which is not so good. The BB onboard mixer and DAW multi track volume controls help.
When you are playing live, and it is time for the vocalist to shine, do you not instinctively butt out? Isn't that really the mark of an amateur to just hog along, stepping on the soloists lines?
No, your vocals are not up front too much. If anything the BG could use more modulation. Just sayin'

Here'as an example, a friend of yours:
https://soundcloud.com/user-484637010/a-feeling-for-the-blues
Note that no lines compete.

Last edited by edshaw; 12/08/17 02:18 PM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello, Alan

Very nice tune!
It is just like a fusion version of Sinatra song.
The standard style melody has become a very good finish with backing fusion arrangement.
The effect of TC-Helicon vocal processor is also pleasant.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Nice one Alan.
The title grabbed my attention and the chorus also really lifts the song.
Cheers.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Excellent tune Alan Well done
\

Thank you very much, Scott. I really appreciate that. merry Christmas.

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Great lyric vocal and production.
Good work Al. Rob.

Hi Rob,

Glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the very kind words! Merry Christmas.

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Very nice tracks.
I'm going to have to agree with Floyd that the vocals are not too much up front. To the contrary, the tendency with Biab is to let the backing track run unmodulated, which is not so good. The BB onboard mixer and DAW multi track volume controls help.
When you are playing live, and it is time for the vocalist to shine, do you not instinctively butt out? Isn't that really the mark of an amateur to just hog along, stepping on the soloists lines?
No, your vocals are not up front too much. If anything the BG could use more modulation. Just sayin'

Here'as an example, a friend of yours:
https://soundcloud.com/user-484637010/a-feeling-for-the-blues
Note that no lines compete.

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the listen and interesting comments. Personally, I'm fine with the lyrics' place in the mix. So much of today's music is focused on the beat and rhythm more so than the lyric. I had 2 songs declined for licensing because the lyric was to "forward" in the mix. The voice was no louder than the vocal track in this mix.

I agree with what you're saying, but the music directors of those 2 projects didn't.

And yes, I was a lead guitarist for over 50 years and the lead players should always back down and allow the singer to be the top dog. that was in country music. I've found a lot of the newer pop music has the vocalist buried deeper in the mix. but, as I said. I agree with you & Floyd. I never did post the version with the vocal buried deeper. I'll keep this one as is.

Always appreciate constructive comments like yours. Thanks!

Merry Christmas,

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Alan

Very nice tune!
It is just like a fusion version of Sinatra song.
The standard style melody has become a very good finish with backing fusion arrangement.
The effect of TC-Helicon vocal processor is also pleasant.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thank you, Shigeki!

"A fusion version of a Sinatra song" ... I like that analogy. I never thought of of it as such, but your comment makes sense. Thanks for that insight!!!

I'm delighted you enjoyed it. I'm still learning the best way to use the TC-Helicon. I thought it came out pretty good on this one. Thanks for the affirmation. And thank you, again, for the very nice comments. Wishing you the very best.

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Nice one Alan.
The title grabbed my attention and the chorus also really lifts the song.
Cheers.

Hi Rich.

Thank you! I am so happy you liked it! I always appreciate your comments. Wishing you the best.

Merry Christmas.

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
For a country guy you always have a great feel for these jazzy pop things. Really well sung. The processing works and the mix sounds good. Nicely written and the thing I like best is the outstanding chord progression. I do hope Di is feeling better and able to rest comfortably. Best to y'all, Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Al & Di !

I´d say this must be one of
your absolute best Al !!!
Wonderful music so delicately
processed and mixed too !

Liked it really much !

Merry X-mas and Happy New Year
to both of you !

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: tommyad
For a country guy you always have a great feel for these jazzy pop things. Really well sung. The processing works and the mix sounds good. Nicely written and the thing I like best is the outstanding chord progression. I do hope Di is feeling better and able to rest comfortably. Best to y'all, Tom

Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for the very kind comments. I playee country almost all my life for two reasons: 1. I like it 2: It paid excellent money!

But ... I would often go home after a gig and put on A Sinatra or Lou Ralls records. I currently listen to Diana Krall and Steve tyrell a lot. Soft Rock also appealed to me in the 70s and 80. I've always liked Genesis, Stix, Foreigner, Kansas and the like. but professionally, I followed the money. And, as I said, I really like country. My favorite singer of all time, any genre, is Pay Price. I've had the great opportunity to play guitar behind him twice. I can listen to ray Price, Gene Watson, george Strait and Merle Haggard all day. I'm also a huge Lionel Ritchie fan.

Anyway, thank you for the nice words. I'm still working with that TC-Helicon processor. it's lots if fun experimenting with it!

Merry Christmas!

ALan

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,491
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195