Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I have used PT on (8 thru 10) and off with the subscription garbage, and still have a ton of stuff in my iLok account. The reasons I don't like PT...

1. Unstable. On a machine that ANY other DAW runs fine PT freezes, hickup, and crashes. More than Sonar & Reaper for sure.

2. Too many clicks to do simple things, like creating a track....it is like an interrogation and slow compared to every other DAW I have used.

3. Locked to an iLok, the BIGGEST reason I despise PT. Pace systems us a virus that you pay for IMHO.....

I own Sonar Producer (but still use Reaper & Mixbus more), and I am sure it will run solid for years, mainly because my OS NEVER gets updated since my studio system NEVER goes online.

This is bad news for sure, I know a few folks who have had a fit, and then just settled down, cleaned their systems, grabbed all the updates, and got back to work.....

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jcspro40
I have used PT on (8 thru 10) and off with the subscription garbage.....

Sorry to hear you've had so many issues with it. I've been lucky and as long as I keep my iLok and Pro Tools software with the latest version updates, I've been good. My machine stays online unless I'm recording/mixing.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I know a lot of folks that have zero problems, even checking emails while rendering a mix etc, but not me! LOL!

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Still confusing to people that can’t use a DAW without a fake mixing board on screen.

Not really, I own the newest Traction Waveform (because of a great deal on it!), so it has nothing to do with old & mixing boards....that is just what I have used my entire pro life..... grin

You can also hit the Traction Site and grab the Full Version 5 for free, a great way to try out the look and feel. cool

Last edited by jcspro40; 12/10/17 08:48 PM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Just FYI update Tracktion is now actually giving away version 6 of Tracktion!

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If anyone was interested in using Home Studio but Cakewalk closed before you purchased the software, there is a legal alternative method to obtain Home Studio, Rapture Session and about 5 GB of loops. +++ THIS +++ link to the Cakewalk forum provides the details.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
yep Jim I got that about three weeks ago through computer music, really impressed with Home studio.

Not 100% sure if offer is still live though with all that is going on with Cakewalk.

Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I have been using Sonar for years. I still have Platinum and many add ons that I will use as long as I can. As far as Gibson owning Cakewalk I found almost as soon as they took over good stuff coming from Cakewalk all but disappeared so I won't miss that.

In the past few weeks I have played around in BIAB a lot more than in the past even though I have been using it for several years. I found a number of the synths and things work nicely in BIAB. I can use TH2, Dimension Pro, Adictive Keys and Drums and in truth that is most of what I used anyhow. I would and do generate the rough in BAIB and mix and apply the synths in Sonar.

Since buying the UltraPak in 2016 I tend to use RealTracks and hardly use Sonar for anything other than the mix and setting the final levels. I find the concrete limiter helps keep things at a more constant level. I merge all tracks into a wav and put that onto a laptop for my backing. I have a template set up in Sonar so a lot is already laid out.

On stage I simply plug into a Roland Tri Capture, use TH2 all preset play the Wav using MediaPlayer and everything is set. All I need to do is flip though the songs.

I don't know ill miss Sonar when it dies as I have other ways to do stuff.

Well that's my two bobs worth

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
PG has Peak Limit that does the same thing, just slide it into the last effects slot. Also, have you worked with Real Band? It's not as elegant as some big name DAW's but it covers all the essentials, uses all your VST's plus it opens Biab files and has a completely different way of generating the RT's. I won't go into RB here, just check out the RB forum if you haven't already.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musiclover
yep Jim I got that about three weeks ago through computer music, really impressed with Home studio.

Not 100% sure if offer is still live though with all that is going on with Cakewalk.

Musiclover

Doesn't hurt for someone to +++ click on the link +++ Even if the downloadable content is no longer available Computer Music is a nice magazine. Having said that, I found out about this just a few days ago and was able to download the content.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I checked most recent link (above) and ended up at the site below.
I'm guessing Jim Fogle sees something different than my experience.
I'm pretty sure I was redirected more than once. Just FYI
Not anything against Jim, just guessing his cookies or something gave him a different option than I got.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
ZinioLink.jpg (40.48 KB, 131 downloads)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think you are suppose to actually subscribe to the mag (or site?) to get the deal but Jim should know

But I'm not going to go through the registration process just to find out

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah, I didn't want to scare anyone, but the link didn't behave as expected here .. hoping he may have a different link (?)

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hi Bob, I have only recently started to play around with RealBand, it's ok but I tend to export each track as a wav then import each track into Sonar that I have pretty much setup for the output I want with minimal work in Sonar. I guess as time goes by I'll do less in Sonar and eventually it might fade away.

The real expense was with the plugins and the ones I used most pretty much work in BIAB/RealBand.

Tony

Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yep, you can get a whole lot done in RB, once you get the hang of it.

Any new DAW has this issue; developing your workflow and learning the shortcuts.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
Yep, you can get a whole lot done in RB, once you get the hang of it.

You can get a whole lot done in anything once you get the hang of it.

Last edited by eddie1261; 12/14/17 02:44 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Exactly

Every new DAW has the same issue; you have to learn it.
It took me a while to learn ProTools, and Reaper, and .. just like it took a while for Realband.

/heh, maybe I'm just a slow learner
//happily, I'm still learning

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
Exactly

Every new DAW has the same issue; you have to learn it.
It took me a while to learn ProTools, and Reaper, and .. just like it took a while for Realband.

I have Pro Tools, Reaper, Samplitude and Sonar. And I mainly use Real Band. The caveat there is that IF I was a real studio, I would be using Pro Tools so bands coming to spend their money to record in my studio could bring me tracks they made at home without a lot of fancy importing. I only know 30-40 people here but most of who I know work in music as a hobby or a second income job, but none are really recording engineers as their main job. I have seen "industry standard" tossed in here a few times and I restate my doubts that any studio anywhere uses Real Band as their primary DAW.

I am a classic dabbler. Create stuff, get the mix close, and save it for a rainy year..... so it doesn't matter to me what I use. I bought Pro Tools mainly because I wanted to see it hands on, and I really do like it. Some of the logic is quite simple despite what many think.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hi,

The real difference I found with Sonar is there are a number of books out to show the ins and outs of Sonar and the various plugins. They showed not only the use but also explained the reasoning behind the methods. For example, the question arose in this forum regarding sfz files. The book on plugins had several chapters on how to create the files and what they are used for. Same for channel mixing and the uses of busses etc. How to get the best out of the tools.

It is books like this I find missing with BIAB/RealBand albeit BIAB is more self intuitive.

Tony

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,475
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195