You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#445044 - 12/14/17 05:59 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Updated Windows, lost settings how do I change file explorer font
Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Well I updated Windows to the latest build, it took from mid afternoon to way past midnight.

All my settings were gone, the apps pinned to the start menu and so on.

What I'm trying to restore is the system font in file explorer.

I had a bold typeface, probably Verdana, and now it is not bold and hard to read. In the past I could figure out how to change the font, but now I'm flummoxed.

Any clues?

Thanks,
Bob

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#445063 - 12/14/17 08:03 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Updated Windows, lost settings how do I change file explorer font [Re: Notes Norton]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

What operating system are you using, Notes? Knowing would help us inform you smile

#445065 - 12/14/17 08:24 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Updated Windows, lost settings how do I change file explorer font [Re: Notes Norton]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Windows 10, latest release. I haven't found where to get the release number yet. Things are not in the same place they used to be.

I used to be able to go to the Control Panel and find Display Settings -- I found Display Settings with a right click on the desktop, but can't find where to change the font for the icons, file explorer, and drop down menus to bold typeface. It's all I need as I'm farsighted.

Bob

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove

#445070 - 12/14/17 08:31 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Updated Windows, lost settings how do I change file explorer font [Re: Notes Norton]
Loc: Pensacola, Florida
jford Offline
Veteran

Bob -

To get the version and build of Windows you are using, just open a command prompt and type: winver

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#445074 - 12/14/17 08:37 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Updated Windows, lost settings how do I change file explorer font [Re: Notes Norton]
jford Offline
Veteran

To change the size and boldness of text for various elements, right click on the desktop and select "Display Settings" from the popup menu. When the window comes up, click on "Display" in the left hand navigator, then click on "Advanced display settings" on the bottom right of the window. Scroll down the new window until you see "Advanced sizing of text and other items". Click on that, and from there, you can redefine the text size and boldness (but not the font used). The following elements can be changed:

• Title Bars
  • Menus
  • Message Boxes
  • Palette Titles
  • Icons
  • Tooltips

Hope that helped.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#445126 - 12/14/17 12:45 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Updated Windows, lost settings how do I change file explorer font [Re: jford]
Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Teunis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Hi Bob,

Do you have the Windows icon (usually at the bottom left hand side). If so do a right click and select Run. In the run box type "winver" (without the quotes) that should show you the version.

What I would do is shut down and once it is completely shut power on again, log in and pray.

When you power up you might get a little box telling you it can't find your profile let it sit there a while minute or two then press enter. With any luck the log in screen will appear. Let that sit for a minute or so then log in.

Make sure you keep the Windows.old file whatever you do if all else fails you might need to restore and the Windows.old is the restoration point.

Hope it works out

Tony

#445160 - 12/14/17 03:48 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Updated Windows, lost settings how do I change file explorer font [Re: jford]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

It's WINVER: 1709 OS Build 16299.125

Originally Posted By: jford
To change the size and boldness of text for various elements, right click on the desktop and select "Display Settings" from the popup menu. When the window comes up, click on "Display" in the left hand navigator, then click on "Advanced display settings" on the bottom right of the window.

That's what I tried via some instructions on google, but there is no "Advanced Display Settings" in the window of this build. There was on the version I just replaced.

More googling and I think I'm SOL.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=advanced+d...s=1513294681990

It says:

Select Start
Windows logo Start button
and select Settings
Gear-shaped Settings icon
> System > Display.
If you want to change the size of your text and apps, use the dropdown menu under Scale and layout. In Windows 10, you can no longer change the text size of a specific item.

(the bold type above is mine)

So I guess I can't make them bold either. That's all I really need.

Very rude indeed.

I can just change she size of all the fonts. At bigger sizes they create other problems.

Microsoft is getting more and more like the things I don't like about Apple. they are hiding things from the user and not letting us adapt the tool to our needs.

I've been farsighted since I was a teenager. Small, thin fonts are food for eyestrain.

Well, if there is nothing I can do about it, I'll just have to deal with it. I'm using a laptop (ThinkPad) but I can connect an external monitor if I find it too difficult to cope with.

Thanks for all your help.

Bob

Edited by Notes Norton (12/14/17 03:50 PM)

#445176 - 12/14/17 05:19 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Updated Windows, lost settings how do I change file explorer font [Re: Notes Norton]
Loc: New Mexico
Larry Kehl Offline
Veteran

Loc: New Mexico

#445411 - 12/15/17 07:25 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Updated Windows, lost settings how do I change file explorer font [Re: Notes Norton]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Thank you Larry. This looks like it might save the day.

Pardon me for taking so long to say "Thanks" I just got on-line. I went up to see the SpaceX launch and landing, and stopped off at my sisters on the way back. First day off in a loooong time.

I'll download it, make a disk image, and try it out.

Take care,
Bob

#445509 - 12/16/17 08:29 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Updated Windows, lost settings how do I change file explorer font [Re: Notes Norton]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
I've always wanted to see a take off. I've read that when the Saturn 5 or a Shuttle took off not only could you see and hear it but feel the vibrations in your chest.

I would imagine seeing a stage 1, automated landing is in a class by itself. Surely amazing times we live in.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#445641 - 12/17/17 05:02 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Updated Windows, lost settings how do I change file explorer font [Re: Notes Norton]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

I've done the shuttle a dozen times, it's worth the >100 mile (one way) trip up north. Night launches are really spectacular. It was loud but you really can't get close enough for ear damaging volumes. Security is tight (and rightly so). But even a couple of miles away it's truly awesome (and I don't use that word unless it's deserved).

This is the first time I've seen a first stage land. It was like a "Flash Gordon" moment. The rocket went up, the exhaust flame was a different color from the shuttle, We followed it with the binoculars, watched the first stage get jettisoned, it fell away and disappeared behind a wispy cloud.

So we were standing there, scanning the sky (I met a couple from Suriname and another from England) watching for close to 10 minutes. None of us knew just where it was going to land.

Then someone pointed and said "There it is!" and the rocket did a few second burst of flame orienting itself, the flames quit, it descended and then the flames started again as it slowed down in that vertical position.

Then we got the twin sonic booms.

And I remember the old Mercury days when the capsule splashed down in a target area as big as the ocean and the service ships would have to go fifty miles or so to get to it because we couldn't control the landing any finer than a few hundred mile target. And now they can land on a dime. Amazing.

When the space shuttle was in service, as it passed on the way to the cape, we would hear the twin sonic booms and we'd know she was home.

If you ever get there, take the tour, watch the IMAX movie and enjoy the exhibits. IMO it's worth the money to do at least once.

It was a great day.

Notes

#445693 - 12/17/17 12:20 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Updated Windows, lost settings how do I change file explorer font [Re: Larry Kehl]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

This worked perfectly.

First I had to backup, but after the Creators Update, Acronis wouldn't recognize my external drive. I e-mailed Acronis, today they answered, that I have to simply reselect the drive. I guess even though it showed, something between Acronis and Windows wasn't complete (layman's guess). Re-selecting allowed me to backup.

If you have Acronis and get updated to Creators, note this.

So I just got done installing that A+changesize.exe nudged the font size up 2 ticks and made it bold, and now it's perfect for these farsighted eyes on a hi-rez screen.

Thanks again Larry.

Bob

#445943 - 12/18/17 05:51 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Updated Windows, lost settings how do I change file explorer font [Re: Notes Norton]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

OK now the the problem is solved and we got off on a Kennedy Space Center tangent, here is my best KSC story.

We went up for a night launch of the shuttle and didn't want to park in the place where we usually do for day shots, so we drove up US1 to the causeway that leads to the space center.

It was blocked off, and we on the exit ramp to ask the guard where a good place to watch a night launch might be.

She looked around, moved the barricade and said, "Go in".

It took us to the viewing area you see on TV. With the bleachers where the press sits, near the news cameras, and that giant digital clock.

We've never been this close for a launch, and the shuttle is up there with spotlights on it at night, looking like a sci-fi movie.

We think, "Wow! We're really IN!"

And the clock tics down and right before the launch it stops. I remember 10 seconds, Leilani things it was 3. The 7 second difference doesn't matter. The launch was scrubbed over a computer problem.

And we were sooooooo close.

Notes

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

NEW! Style-style-style Additions and Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

With over 64 new features and enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019, we've made sure to add to, enhance, and update some of the Style features within the program: StylePicker, StyleMaker, and Song Titles browser within the StylePicker!

StylePicker Enhancements:
-If the style list needs rebuild, it tells you that within the StylePicker, instead of a message that requires a response.
-The rebuild is faster than before by 75%. It takes 1/4 of the time now.
-While the style list is being rebuilt, you can see the progress inside the StylePicker.
-The style list can be filtered by a specific RealTracks/RealDrums/MIDI SuperTracks or RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks in a certain number range.
-You can filter the style list by a specific Xtra Styles PAK.
-The dialog to select an Xtra Styles PAK has a button to take you to the PG Music website that shows information about Xtra Styles PAKs.
-The StylePicker can list all styles (including N/A styles) in the default display.
-The Set number display is improved, including sort by type and Xtra styles.

StyleMaker Improvements:

-The new MIDI velocity offset allows you to make styles with altered loudness for MIDI tracks.
-Styles can be saved with information like a memo, examples, genres, and more, which will be displayed in the StylePicker.
-You can import information from another style. This is useful when you are making a similar style.
-A style can have a huge number of RealTracks (up to 70!) because the StyleMaker now supports RealTracks multi/medley feature, which allows a single track to have up to 10 simultaneous playing of RealTracks.

Song Titles Browser Enhancement

-We’ve added 300 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now over 10,600 titles.
-The chord density filter is available, and it’s also displayed in the memo.
-The chord complexity filter is available.

Review all the new features of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 here.

NEW! Traditional Celtic Tunes with Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you can add the 49-PAK to your order for just $49!

Among the great Add-ons included in the 49-PAK is our Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly, which includes 18 traditional Celtic tunes! You'll find beautifully performed songs like Boys of Bluehill, The Cliffs of Moher, Harvest Home, Rolling in the Rye Glass, and more!

The Celtic RealTracks backing up performances by Geoff Kelly sound amazing, and so do the duets with previous Artist Performance musician Daniel Lapp (on fiddle)! Listen to all the demos for these Artists Performances near the bottom of our Bonus PAKs page, here.

Here's a taste: Demo: Rolling in the Rye Grass

The Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Bonus PAKs!

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you'll receive a FREE Bonus PAK overflowing with great Add-ons, including MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses with 6 MIDI SuperTracks, 21 RealDrums Transcriptions, 120 guitar licks and riffs in Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks, and 15 new MIDI Styles!

Or, upgrade it to the 49-PAK for just $49 and you'll add 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" & Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, 6 more MIDI SuperTracks with Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion, 120 more guitar licks and riffs with Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks, 15 more MIDI Styles, and Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly!

Watch the video highlighting our 49-PAK here, or listen to demos and learn more here.

Free Bonus PAK Contents:
-Look Ma! More MIDI 1
-21 RealDrums Transcriptions
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses
-Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks

2019 49-PAK Contents:
-40 Bonus RealTracks!
-10 "Low Man" and Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks
-Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly
-Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks
-Look Ma! More MIDI 2
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes!

Get to know the new Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows with our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes! video: Click here to watch...

RealBand 2019 is Here!

We've added over 30 new features to RealBand 2019, including Notation Window enhancements, Tracks Window enhancements, StylePicker enhancements - and more! Learn all about this new version here.

Snag your copy of RealBand 2019 with your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchase - upgrades on SALE until December 31st - save up to 40%! View all Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchase options here.

Forum Stats
28395 Members
58 Forums
55117 Topics
458894 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Michaeljones, prian, olderfellow, Ronny Nitz, oscar420

28394 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 320
Pipeline 316