You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#444043 - 12/10/17 01:43 PM [Best of YouTube] What Video Editor do you use/recommend for beginner?
Loc: Way too close to Palm Springs,...
Tobias Offline
Expert

I want to get started creating videos and slide shows with my music to upload to Youtube. I've sort of reviewed the free versions of nch VideoPad and the VSDC. Both seam to be suitable enough from what I can tell. But, I'd rather not get started learning a certain GUI, hit limitations or restriction, and then have to learn another. However, I won't mind learning, say, two, if they compliment each other such as Band In A Box and Reaper do for audio.
Thanks for your recommendations.

#444169 - 12/11/17 04:21 AM [Best of YouTube] Re: What Video Editor do you use/recommend for beginner? [Re: Tobias]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Do you want Free or Paid?

You have mentioned using Free already, but didn't say if you are only seeking recommendations on Free products.

I don't use Free, and actually the system I use is expensive and has a very steep learning curve.

Separately, Camtasia Studio (Techsmith) offers great value for the price. I use that also.
BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#444298 - 12/11/17 11:56 AM [Best of YouTube] Re: What Video Editor do you use/recommend for beginner? [Re: Tobias]
Loc: Central Ohio
edshaw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Ohio
I recently went through a similar odyssey, actually, still going through it. I settled on NCH Video Pad, installedc the trial and then bought it.
On the way, I made a mistake of buying one product, based strictly on name, and lived to regret it. It wouldn't install and they kept my money., after dancing around the moon.
The NCH results have been good, but there is a learning curve, as any visit to the online tutorials soon reveals. The good news is that results show promise -- just a little different way of working. NCH has picked up on some of the old Final Cut features, which is good to know. Still, I won't buy any video editor that does not offer free trial, if there are any of them.
I am waiting on the coders of Reaper. If you are familiar with SONY Acid and Movie Studio, you'll recognize many similarities in Reaper. I don't know why people did not embrace SONY audio and video. They were great products, but never seemed to catch on. Anyway, Reaper is making noises about a video editor in the works. If and when I'm there.
I will add, don't overlook the free Movie that comes with Windows. It is quite capable, esp for You Tubers.

Edited by edshaw (12/12/17 02:42 PM)
TEAC Digital deck

#444716 - 12/12/17 05:06 PM [Best of YouTube] Re: What Video Editor do you use/recommend for beginner? [Re: edshaw]
Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

YouTube has a very nice video editor that you can do most basic to intermediate work in.

If you're running Windows, Windows Movie Maker is built into most versions of Windows. Macs have something similar, forgot the name. They will all teach you basic editing.

Go to YouTube and click on or create a free account. Click on that account and then on Create video. An editor will open.

Donny

#444990 - 12/13/17 08:33 PM [Best of YouTube] Re: What Video Editor do you use/recommend for beginner? [Re: Tobias]
Tobias Offline
Expert

Thanks for the recommendations. I started using VSDC and had so much fun in one evening I paid the $20 for the full version. I also started trying NCH VideoPad and I like that one also.

#445011 - 12/13/17 10:26 PM [Best of YouTube] Re: What Video Editor do you use/recommend for beginner? [Re: Tobias]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
I use NCH video pad and have been very happy with it. Good luck with your video making!

#447281 - 12/26/17 06:58 AM [Best of YouTube] Re: What Video Editor do you use/recommend for beginner? [Re: Tobias]
Fldrummerman Offline

I've been using Magix products for 15 years and found them to be a wonderful value. I'm currently using Magix Movie Editor Pro MX Plus. It's an older version but I really like it.

#449622 - 01/06/18 06:56 PM [Best of YouTube] Re: What Video Editor do you use/recommend for beginner? [Re: Tobias]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Lightworks is free movie studio level video editor that has been used to do entire movie editing but the GUI is very intimidating and requires a thorough knowledge of esoteric terminology.

The brave at heart can download it here: ( it's 87 meg )

https://www.lwks.com/

#459169 - 02/25/18 11:36 AM [Best of YouTube] Re: What Video Editor do you use/recommend for beginner? [Re: Don Gaynor]
fiddler2007 Offline
Expert

Lightworks free?; it looks as if it's a version of Adobe Premiere. The main issue i (personally) have as with the latest Premiere too, is that you pay for a subscription period. I bought a Premiere license on ebay for the older CS6 version, more than adequate for me, and it was around 90 U$D, about the same for a years' Lightworks subscription fee. Price was probably lot less than originally. Drawback is that there will be no updates alas. I tried out several others, but i still like Premiere a lot. Some pro video editors use it too. - F

#459242 - 02/25/18 08:09 PM [Best of YouTube] Re: What Video Editor do you use/recommend for beginner? [Re: Tobias]
Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
A major step up from Windows Movie Maker and still free is VirtualDub. Highly recommended and there are several user forums about it.

http://www.virtualdub.org/download.html

Click on the link for Sound Forge.

Bob

#459537 - 02/27/18 09:13 PM [Best of YouTube] Re: What Video Editor do you use/recommend for beginner? [Re: jazzmammal]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

I remember VirtualDub from 15 years ago.

Reaper is easy if you are accustomed to DAW's

Reaper-Multicam-Mix.mp4

#460236 - 03/03/18 01:59 PM [Best of YouTube] Re: What Video Editor do you use/recommend for beginner? [Re: Pipeline]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

I squeezed in on the free download of VSDC Video Editor. I haven't used it yet but it looks like everything I'll ever need for making cool videos and slideshows. Nice GUI and audio feature set.

#460248 - 03/03/18 02:26 PM [Best of YouTube] Re: What Video Editor do you use/recommend for beginner? [Re: Don Gaynor]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

The VSDC Video Editor Pro is 60% off at the moment $19.99

#460540 - 03/05/18 01:35 AM [Best of YouTube] Re: What Video Editor do you use/recommend for beginner? [Re: Pipeline]
Loc: Germany
sinbad Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Germany
You can get the VSDC Video Editor Pro FREE at sharewareonsale.com

https://sharewareonsale.com/product-tag/giveaway+active-deals?os=windows

#460820 - 03/06/18 08:02 AM [Best of YouTube] Re: What Video Editor do you use/recommend for beginner? [Re: Tobias]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

I have a friend who works in video editing and he mentioned DaVinci Resolve, Lightworks, and Media 100 as good programs for beginners. They are free, too. I have never worked in any video editing software myself, so I'd absolutely suggest looking into these first!

Hope this helps you out, even if a little smile

#460860 - 03/06/18 11:00 AM [Best of YouTube] Re: What Video Editor do you use/recommend for beginner? [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

I did a tutorial on DaVinci Resolve here: Music Video Creation but I think Reaper was a lot easier.
There are also some links to multicam music videos to practice with.

#476143 - 06/04/18 01:30 PM [Best of YouTube] Re: What Video Editor do you use/recommend for beginner? [Re: ]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PatsFan6520
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
YouTube has a very nice video editor that you can do most basic to intermediate work in.

If you're running Windows, Windows Movie Maker is built into most versions of Windows. Macs have something similar, forgot the name. They will all teach you basic editing.

Go to YouTube and click on or create a free account. Click on that account and then on Create video. An editor will open.

Donny

Don, do you know if Windows 10 is compatible with Movie Maker? Can't seem to get it to work frown.

No, M$ has withdrawn support for WMM and have replaced it with Movie Maker 10 which is compatible with W10. I just began trying it yesterday and find it less user-friendly than WMM. In fact, I'm currently exploring other FREE programs that will allow editing of mp4 video format for a music video project that I am working on.

Movie Maker 10 is a free download.

#476359 - 06/05/18 05:37 PM [Best of YouTube] Re: What Video Editor do you use/recommend for beginner? [Re: Tobias]
guitar1 Offline
Apprentice

I don't do a great deal of video work, although I am leading up to it, but I also use NCH Video Pad. It has a lot of good features and so far I am satisfied with it. All of them have a certain amount of learning curve. Years ago, I used Premiere. Now that one has a real learning curve. Good luck in your search. Be well.

#476373 - 06/05/18 07:15 PM [Best of YouTube] Re: What Video Editor do you use/recommend for beginner? [Re: guitar1]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: guitar1
I don't do a great deal of video work, although I am leading up to it, but I also use NCH Video Pad. It has a lot of good features and so far I am satisfied with it. All of them have a certain amount of learning curve. Years ago, I used Premiere. Now that one has a real learning curve. Good luck in your search. Be well.

Guitar1,

By coincidence, a friend recommended NCH Video Pad to me yesterday. It looks like everything I will need to create a music video.

I sincerely appreciate your endorsement. It saves everyone the frustration of trial and error. There are so many free mp4 editors available that I could be weeks testing them all.

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28446 Members
58 Forums
55264 Topics
460331 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
dewar, claytonkyra, Warren G, Raymond Carrasco, asdlz

28445 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 360
Pipeline 329