Page 1 of 2 1 2
Beginners Forum
S
Steevus Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
I want to e-upgrade my Ultraplus 2016 pack to the 2018 version. Now I have everything installed on my internal drive. With upgrade I want to move BIAB to an external drive.
- How should I do that, withouthaving to install the whole program and losing a licence
- How much space is involved with the upgrade?

Thank you for your help

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Welcome to the forum.

My records show I have an activation code for BIAB 2016, so they used the same system then as now. You get three activations with BIAB, so you could deactivate your existing copy, but I'm not certain if it matters since you are buying 2018. When you run BIAB from the PG Music-supplied external USB drive, it works fine but you do have to do what we call a minimal install. It is one of the (I think) four choices on Setup. It will write just a few files to your hard drive, including the activation status and some needed fonts, and a few other small files. Very little space on your hard drive is required.

If you are concerned about losing an activation, deactivate your 2016 copy first before doing the minimal install of 2018. You could give PG Music Support a quick call and verify what I'm saying. Go to the grey Support tab at the top of this page for their contact info.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Also, I don't remember when the first XTRA styles PAK came out, so if you really want a complete package, make sure you pick up the ones you are missing along with your order.

One thing you didn't say was whether you wanted to have everything on the external drive you get from PGMusic or your own external drive. I highly suggest using your own external USB drive and keeping the PGMusic drive as a backup in case you ever need to re-install.

If it's your own external drive, here's what I would do, assuming you want to ensure you preserve everything you already have from 2016 (additional bonus paks, XTRA style paks, etc):

Copy your BB folder and any RealTracks/RealDrums folders (in case you installed them somewhere other than in the main BB folder location) to your external USB drive. Then, when you get your new BIAB USB drive, just run the installer and install as if you are installing to your local hard drive, but specify your plugged in USB drive instead and the appropriate folder names to install "over" BIAB2016. Once installed, make sure your desktop shortcut points to your external USB drive, not your main local hard drive.

Once you have verified everything works fine from your USB drive, you can delete the BB folder on your local hard drive.

If you want to install 2018 "over" 2016, but run it from the USB drive PGMusic sends you, then it's a little trickier, but doable. Let us know which way you want to go.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Beginners Forum
S
Steevus Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Thank you for your quick answers and additional questions.

I didn't buy the usb drive but the download 2018 upgrade. The 2016 program I have on BIAB disk. I installed that one on my laptop, but it takes a lot of space, and will even be more after 2018 upgrade. So that is why I want to transfer the whole program to an external drive when I upgrade. I only have one 2016 license left, so I want to keep that in case...

I am not sure what the upgrade does. Will it overwrite the 2016 program? If that is the case then it likely will not be a problem to assign a different location. But if it only adds new facilities to the existing one then it will be different, I guess.

I also don't know how much space the upgrade will need. I have read somewhere that the downloadable version will need 100 Gb plus 100 Gb for the instellment.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Not sure what you mean by the term 2018 upgrade. Did you arrange a "download only" UltraPak, or the PlusPak?

The total size is a little over 100GB (as I remember), but there is a lot of commonality between the 2016 files and the 2018 files, so it's not a matter of adding the two sizes together.

Assuming the complete download version (that will show up in your account), just download all the files. Then copy your BB folder from your hard drive to the external USB drive (again, don't forget the RealTracks and RealDrums folders). Then just run all the installation files that you downloaded and specify the location of your external drive. Since BIAB 2018 uses a new folder structure, initially, you will need a little additional space, but then make sure you run the "cleanup" routine once you are done.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Beginners Forum
S
Steevus Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Thanks, that will help. Indeed, it is the "download only" ultrapack.

Would it make sense/be possible to download the program files on the internal drive and run the core program from there and all the music files from an external drive?

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I do something like that. The program is on an internal SSD drive. All the RealTracks and RealDrums are on a different very large drive. In Preferences RealTracks you can specify where they are; same for RealDrums.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
S
Steevus Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Thanks, does this mean you have the 100Gb on your ssd drive? If not, what part of the program?

I did as the both of you suggested. I copied the program from my internal drive to my external one and then installed the 2018 update. However, the screen is different, with everything hidden in the upper task bar. Not sure why...

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
That's the new screen you can revert back to the old one their is a small square box up on the top left corner to change it just under the boxes with wav,mid etc.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Beginners Forum
S
Steevus Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Ahhh, thanks so much, life can be so easy! smirk

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Or use the keys Ctrl+T to toggle between old and new.

I encourage you to spend time learning the new GUI. After I added icons to the Custom Toolbar (upper right), I haven’t used the old in a year.

Beginners Forum
S
Steevus Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Thanks, I will do that.

Matt, could you perhaps let me know how you organised BIAB on your computer? What part(s) did you install on your SSD internal drive and how many Gb does it include? Now I have everything on an external drive, but I am not sure f this is the best way.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Sure. Nothing difficult but probably extravagant, showing how important BIAB is to me:

I have two main computers for BIAB use. Both are I7 desktops I built. Side note: I was a comp. sci. prof.

My main production machine is at home. The boot drive is a 256 GB SSD. It has Windows and most programs but not BIAB.

I have a second 256 GB SSD for the BIAB program. I also keep copies of all downloaded software here. SSD drives are best when you read from them but don’t write as much. BIAB loads incredibly fast from an SSD, generally in about 2 or 3 seconds.

I have a Western Digital Caviar Black hard drive, 2 TB, for just the RealTracks and RealDrums. Note, I have the audiophile version, which requires about 1.5 TB for everything.

I keep the PG Music external drive with the audiophile version in storage off-site as a backup. I also used it to load BIAB onto a second computer at my summer cabin which is setup similarly except I don’t run BIAB from an SSD there. I use this computer for composing but very little production, so speed isn’t as important.

I maintain two other ‘normal’ computers (one desktop, one laptop) I keep as emergency backups with all programs and all backup data including my BIAB songs. Overkill, I know, but even when lightning took out my studio four years ago, I was only out of business one day.

Does that help?

Beginners Forum
S
Steevus Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Thanks Matt, I don't have so much disk space. I travel a lot, so decided to do everything with a i5 laptop with 256 Gb SSD, and a few external disks. BIAB 2016 I had on my internal disk. 2018 is bigger, so I want to split between the program itself on the SSD and all audio and video files on an external disk.

Beginners Forum
S
Steevus Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
If that makes sense...

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Yes, I would use the external drive for RealTracks and RealDrums on a laptop. My laptop is also an i5 with an SSD boot drive I put in, and BIAB runs very well.

Beginners Forum
S
Steevus Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S

I have the whole BIAB 2018 program (100Gb) now in one bb folder on my external drive. This includes the folders Realtracks (80Gb), Drums (5Gb) and Soloists (11Gb). Do I understand it correctly that I should leave these folders on the external drive but better sh/could move the remaining program files (about 5Gb) to the internal drive?

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
The preferred method for many is to 'install' (not copy or move) the BiaB program to the main internal drive (C:) from the shipped hard drive.

'Installing' adds the fonts, PGMusic FX, etc. where copy/move would not.
Leave everything else on the external drive and let BiaB read them from there. This is an option that can be set from both the Install and Preferences. During install just opt to install only the program on C: and locate the RTs elsewhere.

You can use whatever drive you want for the RTs and RDs pretty easily, using Prefs.
Like Matt, my original external drives from PGMusic get used only when needed, like on a laptop. Otherwise I copy the RTs and RDs to a separate internal drive when possible. In this case 'copy' (as opposed to install) works; you can copy your RTs or RDs to any other drive and point the program there. But the program itself should be 'installed' to the C: drive, not copied.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Beginners Forum
S
Steevus Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Thanks, I did as you suggested, but somehow it doesn't work. BB is now on my internal drive and I tried to install RT and Drums on the external drive. Now the program can't find the RT folder (only midi sound) and there is no Drums folder created. I tried to install the program again, same result. I guess I must have done something wrong. Also my own songs are not connected and when I open them it's only Midi. Any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks and a great 2018!

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
in the options - preferences - Realtracks, you need to tell BIAB where the RTs are - see picture below. Then you need to do the same for the realdrums.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (46.95 KB, 67 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,510
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195