Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

With RD’s I often double the snare (learned from floyd) so I have a max of two drum tracks - the kit and the snare.

Bud, how can you double the snare if you are using realdrums? Or, are you building a separate snare track using loops??

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Bud, how can you double the snare if you are using realdrums? Or, are you building a separate snare track using loops??

I had that same thought when I read it, since RealDrums are stereo recordings of the entire drum set.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
David S asked about this and this is what I sent him.

Several years ago floyd told me that he often doubled the snare by using a second track and positioning a snare hit snippet under each BiaB snare hit on the wave form. I later discovered that for each RD there is an audio file hidden in the depths of BiaB folders that includes several minutes of the drum track and at the end has the actual individual hits, e.g., snare, kick, tom, ride, high hat, etc.

So my method is to cut the snare hit out of the respective “hidden” RD drum audio file and use it for the double. Since the RD is, well, a real human, lining them up was tedious at first as the RD snare would not always be right on the beat but for a, say, three minute song it only takes about 15 minutes or so. Then you can process the snare track anyway you wish and it's the same snare that's in the original full kit. I used Ozone’s imager module to “spread” the sound a bit and them pan it dead center. Some times I'll pull out other hits from the RD audio file to build my own drum intro, etc.

Oh, my DAW (Logic Pro X) has a snare replacement function designed for it's drummers but it works pretty well on a RD; however, I think doubling them as mentioned above with the same sound works best. I love the snare sound that Mellecamp has had for decades and that's the sound I aim for. Farm rock smile

Bud

Veteran
Veteran
Very cool, thanks Bud! I'm going to try that technique on my next song smile

Veteran
Veteran
Do the same thing with the Kick on a separate track.

Then you can control both - Kick and Snare...

Veteran
Veteran
I later discovered that for each RD there is an audio file hidden in the depths of BiaB folders that includes several minutes of the drum track and at the end has the actual individual hits, e.g., snare, kick, tom, ride, high hat, etc.

Hey Bud, I dug up an old post from the "Post your own Tips and Tricks" forum where I went into detail a little more on that in case anyone is interested:

Changing drum style within existing song

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sslechta
I later discovered that for each RD there is an audio file hidden in the depths of BiaB folders that includes several minutes of the drum track and at the end has the actual individual hits, e.g., snare, kick, tom, ride, high hat, etc.

Hey Bud, I dug up an old post from the "Post your own Tips and Tricks" forum where I went into detail a little more on that in case anyone is interested:

Changing drum style within existing song

Thanks! I knew I couldn't have been the first to find that smile

Bud

Veteran
Veteran
OR,

for lazier people like me, you can double or triple the entire drum track then add a 10 band EQ to extract them snares and pull 'em out..

Technology can do it a lot of thangs...Tater Totts taught me this one...

You get double or triple your money with Band in a Box. It's almost as good as a Double Whopper with a super size side of fries at Thanksgiving.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Snare.jpg (123.83 KB, 118 downloads)
E
E
Originally Posted By: fantasyvn
Could you pls help me with this question. If you generate a song in BIAB, usually it only has a few tracks (bass, drum, guitar, piano, synth). If you add your own vocal singing the melody, and some harmony vocals, it seems you still only have about 10 tracks.

But when I saw some mixing tutorials on the web, especially for the professional songs, apparently a song may have 60, 70 tracks.

A typical EDM track has 60 to 100 tracks. The magic answer is 'layering'. A lot of layering goes into tracks that are done properly. On synths, atmosphere, kicks and other elements as well like claps, hi hats, etc. 60 kind of seems low actually but again, depends on what kind of music you are making. For EDM is super low. Maybe even for trap music too.

Also go on Google and type 'Hyperbits Revolution'. Click on the first link and half way through the page is a video tutorial. It's an hour long tutorial and you'll learn TONS! Even if you're not and EDM producer, it should give you a good idea on how to make real professional tracks. Dude easily has over 80 tracks.

Veteran
Veteran
Good points.

One observation--actually several. EDM is kind of its own thing. It is also constantly evolving.

You CAN make an EDM composition with 200 tracks but you can also use any one of the EDM or techno styles from BIAB and add in your own string parts and piano parts and such and make an EDM song with 10 tracks or less.

Put side by side, it's user's choice. The listener will decide.

(I found the guy's comment about the basic Compressor unit looking like something from NASA was funny. It was like "Man you haven't seen complicated. That's a cereal bowl full of fruit loops and warm milk, dude.")

Anyway, in music you can do anything you want. If you want to paste together a great song with 5000 samples, you can do it. But you can also do great song in EDM with 12 tracks or a great jazz song with 3 tracks. Or one.

Also, people who play instruments and who have been studying piano or guitar since they were two years old will never agree with loopers on how many tracks you need to make a professional song.

But, since you can do whatever you want in music, I say do it. If you write the greatest song in the world with two tracks and both of them done on the first take I say bravo. If you spend 4 days pasting together 100 synths to do as many variations of the same piano riff, well bravo to that too.

Come to think of it, though, I think I get the most goosebumps listening to Hilary Hahn do one track.

But, well, she has a lot going on, that Hilary Hahn.

Veteran
Veteran
One Track. One Take.

Hilary Hahn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3aloHY7I_g

No effects.

That's what I'm talking about.

Go Hilary.

Or wait.

Maybe 4 tracks.

Jeff Beck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKjHBd7nOiM

F.M.M. will know what I'm saying.

smile

Tal Wilkenfeld was 15 at the time I think....

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Tal Wilkenfeld was 15 at the time I think....

I think she was actually in her early 20's at the time of that Ronnie Scotts gig. And the ultimate track for me from that particular concert that showcases her talent is this one:

https://youtu.be/r3ZPWFKrocc

Doesn't get much better than that! I've probably watched that DVD 50 times, never gets old smile

Last edited by BlueAttitude; 12/30/17 12:05 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
I think she was actually in her early 20's at the time of that Ronnie Scotts gig. And the ultimate track for me from that particular concert that showcases her talent is this one:

Unfortunately that cannot be viewed in the U.S. from that link.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sslechta
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Unfortunately that cannot be viewed in the U.S. from that link.

Man, that's too bad! Maybe this one will work for you: https://youtu.be/0Hg2zZ_7p0U

Well worth watching, she is amazing!

If not, do a search for "jeff beck cause we've ended as lovers ronnie scotts"

Last edited by BlueAttitude; 12/30/17 08:11 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
No luck in the U.S. again: "This video contains content from Eagle Rock. It is not available in your country."

This one does it: https://youtu.be/NCRvSe_YiGs

Steve

Apprentice
Apprentice
I keep readindg here about how double tracks fattens up the sound.how does that work?If I copy and paste my vocal to a second one surely it just makes itlouder.Then I'd have to knock a few db off both and I'm back where I started.
Open to offers!lol
Wendy

BiaB2022PLUS,927. every extras pack I can find ;-),Sonar7XL,Win 10
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: WendyM
I keep readindg here about how double tracks fattens up the sound.how does that work?If I copy and paste my vocal to a second one surely it just makes itlouder.Then I'd have to knock a few db off both and I'm back where I started.
Open to offers!lol
Wendy

Hi Wendy,

If you just copy and paste your vocal onto a new track then yes; when you combine them you will just end up with a vocal twice as loud.

To get a fatter or bigger sound the best way is to actually sing the same part twice. The reason it then sounds fatter is because it is just about impossible for you to sing them identical both times, they will be off slightly in pitch and in timing.

There are tools that simulate this doubling effect, but best way is to just sing it twice IMHO.

Last edited by BlueAttitude; 12/31/17 10:23 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Wendy,

Dave's advice is very good. If you can't or don't want to sing it twice there are a few tricks you can try:

1-Copy your vocal twice. Pan you first track dead center. Pan the second track far left and detune it down a couple of cents. Then pan the third track far right and detune it up a couple of cents. You would do this in a DAW. If your DAW doesn't have detune the use your pitch bend.

2- using either two vocal tracks panned left and right or the above three tracks put a different subtle effect on the far left and right tracks. Maybe a little delay, or reverb or chorus.

3- on a single track put a very subtle chorus effect on it. This can thicken vocals.

4-there are doubling effects out there that combine panning and effects. Waves has one https://www.waves.com/plugins/doubler and it is very good.

5-Copy you vocal twice. Pan you first track dead center. Pan the second track far left and move it forward a tick or two. Then pan the third track far right and move it back a tick or two. You would do this in a DAW. Combine this with #1 and/or #2 if you wish.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Very similar to Mario's step 5: I getter a fatter sound by duping the main vocal twice, especially on the chorus. Pan those two new copies one hard left and one hard right. Shift the left track 10ms earlier and right track 10 ms later than the original vocal in the center. Thickens up nicely.

Steve

Veteran
Veteran
I think this last series of posts gets at what I was trying to offer earlier.

I ALWAYS copy the main vocal to at least two other tracks. The main stays center and the other two go left and right--slightly, I mean ever so slightly--panned.

The left and right vocals get some treatment, different for each track, maybe something from Nectar on one, and one of my own "homemade" effects chain strips on another with some tape saturation, or plate reverb, and additional EQing.

The MAIN vocal track on my stuff is sometimes completely dry and set just a little higher than the others--this gives my voice a more natural sound, but the other tracks add sweetness.

For my genre, I want to hear the grit and emotion in my voice, even the imperfections, because I am doing rock, or folk rock, or pop rock.

There are many ways to approach this but that is my recipe.

Also, your vocals will never sound twice as loud with a doubled (duped) track. The only way to make it louder is to increase the volume or gain.

Finally, signing along with yourself for another take is a whole different ball game and effect--it creates exactly what it sounds like--you singing along with yourself.

If this is not the effect you want (which is immediately evident) you need to copy and paste the track.

Hope that helps.

Happy New Year everyone.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195