You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#448841 - 01/03/18 11:20 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Can't get past "counting candidate plugins" on 2018
jireland Offline

Hi all,

I'll try to put in as much detail as possible. This is regarding Band in a Box 2018 I'm running a current version of Windows 10. I installed the program to the default location (C:\bb and C:\RealBand), but put the real tracks in a folder at the root level of a portable hard drive with a fixed drive letter.

After attempting to start the program, I see a splash screen followed by a full screen window that says "counting candidate plugins". Then the program freezes while stating "counting candidate plugins". The menu bar will then give a message that the program is not responding.

If I click anywhere, I get a black box in the center of the screen, which then turns to a white box. The box is in front of everything else on the screen. Eventually a dialog asks if I would like to terminate the program or wait. Regardless of what I do, I cannot end the program/process (including via the task manager). The only way to end the program is to reboot the system.

I just recently did a system reset keeping personal files and have installed no other audio/midi programs since that reset so I don't know what could be conflicting with it.

The contents of the Plugin Scan Log are as follows:

Quote:
Plugin Scan Log

Calling Windows FFilterMapper2.EnumMatchingFilters...
... Windows FFilterMapper2.EnumMatchingFilters succeeded

Counting candidate plugins in the Enum...

Two times it did start up, but without plugins and only after the program wrote the file "MaxPluginsToScan" to the c:\bb folder. This file reads only:
Quote:
Max=0

If I delete the "MaxPluginsToScan" file, then the program goes back to freezing.

I have attempted to run it as administrator. I have turned off antivirus while installing. I have reinstalled it about 6 times, but the problem is persistent.

I did find a similar issue on the forum for version 2012 here:

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=388376&site_id=1

However, the resolution seemed to be to cripple one feature in order to fix another. Since this is six years later, I am hopeful that there is an actual fix.

I can't get a response from technical support either by email or by phone. Maybe just the holiday. Nevertheless, unless fixed, this is obviously a deal breaker. I've haven't had this severe of a problem with commercial software since Windows 95. Perhaps this was released too soon. I'm concerned about other issues that may be present in the software that I haven't even gotten to yet.

Any help would be appreciated, especially a solution. Thanks in advance.

#448857 - 01/03/18 12:28 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can't get past "counting candidate plugins" on 2018 [Re: jireland]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

If there is a faulty plugin, that's been known to cause software (not just BIAB) to freeze during the boot up process? Is it possible that this is the case?

Also, it's always best to use the "Run as administrator" option when starting BIAB and RB. This can be set permanently by right-clicking on the startup shortcut, selecting properties and setting the option that's found under the Compatibility tab.

#448871 - 01/03/18 01:32 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can't get past "counting candidate plugins" on 2018 [Re: jireland]
jireland Offline

Thanks for your reply.

I did a reset of windows so I don't believe that there are any plugins other than what BiaB installed. I've not installed any other audio software.

From poking around: In the 32-Bit programs folder, the only VSTs are the two installed by BiaB. There is no VST folder in the 64-bit programs folder. If there are other plugins, I don't know where to look.

And thank you for the advice on changing the shortcut to always run in admin mode.

Oh, and I did speak to PGMusic customer service. Apparently they received over 600 tech support emails over the holiday, which explains the delay in replies.

#448879 - 01/03/18 01:49 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can't get past "counting candidate plugins" on 2018 [Re: jireland]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Try this...

1. Close BIAB.

2. Restart the computer to guarantee that all memories are fully cleared.

Now with BIAB closed and the computer rebooted, in the folder bb\Preferences...

3. Rename INTRFACE.BBW to INTRFACE.BBW.OLD (note the spelling of 'intrface')

4. Rename MYSETUP.DK to MYSETUP.DK.OLD

Also...

5. Check if there is a "MaxPluginsToScan.txt" file in this directory or any other directory. If so, rename it to "MaxPluginsToScan.txt.old".

6. Now right-click on the BIAB shortcut and select "Run as administrator" to start BIAB.

Quote:
As a note... by renaming the files, it forces BIAB to create new ones. This is equivalent to forcing a factory reset. Also, by renaming files it makes it possible to get them back if needed.

Does this help? If not...

7. Recreate the "MaxPlugInsToScan.txt" and set it to max=0 (as you've already indicated).

8. Now, once more, right-click on the BIAB shortcut and select "Run as administrator" to start BIAB.

Any joy yet?

Regards,
Noel

#448901 - 01/03/18 03:27 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can't get past "counting candidate plugins" on 2018 [Re: Noel96]
jireland Offline

Noel,

Thank you for taking your time to help me with this.

I made the first set of changes you suggested, adding .OLD to those three files. BIAB still crashed at the start up, but it did recreate the MaxPluginsToScan file (but not the others).

I rebooted and restarted BIAB with the newly created MaxPluginsToScan file with "Max=0". BIAB did start up so thank you.

Question: does this solve the issue or does this mean it will only run without plugins?

I did attempt to install Coyote from the help menu and then restarted BIAB. It did restart, but does not show Coyote in the VST/DX Synths/Plugins window and states that there are no DXi synths installed. Is this related or is this a separate issue?

#448906 - 01/03/18 04:05 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can't get past "counting candidate plugins" on 2018 [Re: jireland]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE
What anti-virus software do you use? I'm finding myself wondering if maybe this is impacting on the program. Norton and lately McAfee have created issues for some users.

I suggest that you exclude c:\bb and c:\Realband from being checked by your antivirus software.

QUESTION
Regarding your question about plugins... I'm not sure about this but I suspect that setting max=0 in MaxPluginsToScan stops BIAB from loading any plugins. That BIAB boots up with this setting is also suggesting that there might be some faulty plugin that's failing the scanning process and causing grief.

ANOTHER LOCATION FOR VST PLUGINS
Another place to look for plugins is \Steinberg - if this exists on your computer it will be off the \'program files' and \'program files x86' directories.

PLUGINSCANLOG.LOG
There's a text file in \bb\Data\Logs called "PlugInScanLog.LOG". This would be worth looking at and seeing if it stops somewhere.

The below link is to my
"PlugInScanLog.LOG" for comparison purposes. Note that you will not be able to use my file in place of yours because the Windows Registry addresses will be different. At the end of my file you will see that it says that 37 plugins were counted successfully. It would be interesting to know if you get something similar.

PlugInScanLog.LOG (Noel96)

BBWERROR.LOG
The text file BBWERROR.LOG is also worth having a look at. The latter entries are the most recent (if I recall correctly).

This file might give some added insight.

COYOTE WT
To check if it installed, have a look under \program files(x86)\Coyote\CoyoteWT.

I find that I always prefer to install it by running the BIAB installer. To do it this way, just run the minimum install and make sure the CoyoteWT is selected.

WAS AUDIO DRIVER
Under "Options | Preferences | Audio", set the driver to MME. (See the below image.)

By default, BIAB 2018 chooses WAS as the default audio driver. My experience is that BIAB is much more robust when running the the Windows MME driver.

Hope something in the above is useful!

Regards,
Noel

Attachments
mme driver.JPG

#448908 - 01/03/18 04:25 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can't get past "counting candidate plugins" on 2018 [Re: Noel96]
jireland Offline

Antivirus is Windows Defender. I had already excluded the bb and RealBand folders from scans per another forum post recommendation.

No steinberg directories appear to exist. I did find a VST folder in the C: root directory for u-he's Protoverb and Zebra2. (I don't know how they ended up there.) However, I don't think those programs are still installed because of the OS reinstall, they do not appear in "add/remove programs", and there are no .DLL files in the folder. It must just be old data.

I'm not clear on how to upload a file to the forum so I've included the contents of the PluginsToScanLog below:

Quote:
Plugin Scan Log

Calling Windows FFilterMapper2.EnumMatchingFilters...
... Windows FFilterMapper2.EnumMatchingFilters succeeded

Counting candidate plugins in the Enum...
Plugin Enum Max was set by C:\bb\MaxPluginsToScan.txt
... 0 candidate plugins were counted.

If the number of plugins did not change since the last successful scan, this is an error-free end of the log.

Scanning candidate plugins...

The plugin scan apparently succeeded without fatal errors.

So that would suggest you are correct. That there is an errant plugin somewhere. But where...?

BBWERROR.LOG does not appear to exist in the bb folder.

COYOTE WT is installed under the PROGRAM FILES (X86)folder, but does not show up in BIAB, probably because it was never scanned. I attempted to rescan from VST/DX SYNTHS/PLUGINS > OPTIONS > SCAN FOR NEW DX PLUGINS but that had no effect.

Per your suggestion I did change the audio drive to MME.

Thank you again for your help.

Edited by jireland (01/03/18 04:39 PM)
Edit Reason: Additional items added

#448910 - 01/03/18 04:32 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can't get past "counting candidate plugins" on 2018 [Re: jireland]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Just to be sure...

1. Set the Audio driver to MME as per my instructions in the previous post.

2. Exit BIAB.

3. Rename "MaxPlugInsToScan.txt" to ".....txt.old".

4. Also rename "PlugInScanLog.log" to "....log.old"

5. Start BIAB by right-clicking and using "Run as administrator".

If BIAB halts during boot up, see what PluginScanLog says. Posting it on here is fine.

Regards,
Noel

#448911 - 01/03/18 04:37 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can't get past "counting candidate plugins" on 2018 [Re: jireland]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Also...

Check that you have the latest update of BIAB installed (my apologies for not mentioning this sooner... it's ALWAYS the best starting place).

To check this, have a look under "Help | About Band In A Box". Beside 'version 2018' there will be a number in (). This is the update number. The most recent is 508.

If your version if not current, go to the below link, download the update, install it while BIAB is closed using "Run as administrator".

http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#508

Now start BIAB after following the 3, 4, 5 in my previous post.

#448927 - 01/03/18 05:38 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can't get past "counting candidate plugins" on 2018 [Re: jireland]
jireland Offline

Hi Noel,

Thank you for your help. I have managed to find out the problem. There appears to be some sort of issue between BIAB and the Toshiba Dynadock, which is a USB hub that also has display outputs, audio in/outputs etc. When I disable the Dynadock audio, BIAB has no problem starting up and scanning plugins.

I found this out because after one of my reboots, a got a windows pop-up that said something called DIRECT SHOW crashed previously. So I started disabling hardware to troubleshoot and the Toshiba Dynadock was the culprit. If the audio adapter is disabled in the device manager, BIAB starts without issue.

Thank you for your help. I have no idea how to resolve the issue, but I have a work around.

Thanks again.

Of course, if you or anyone else has any idea how to resolve this conflict, any help would again be appreciated. But I don't use the audio part of the Dynadock so I'm not giving up much if its not possible. Take care.

#448929 - 01/03/18 06:16 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can't get past "counting candidate plugins" on 2018 [Re: jireland]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the update. That's most interesting. I haven't tried using BIAB over Dynadock but that hardware has caused me issues, from time to time, with a couple of other programs that I run.

I guess the moral of this thread is that when solving problems, it's always a good starting place to disconnect everything. Once that's done, get the program working with the computer alone and then start adding peripherals.

I've reported this thread to the developers as I'm sure it will be of interest to them.

Glad you got it all happening!

Regards,
Noel

#448939 - 01/03/18 07:38 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can't get past "counting candidate plugins" on 2018 [Re: jireland]
J. Larry Offline
Journeyman

I think PG Music needs to put Noel on the pay roll.

PG Music News
Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

NEW! Style-style-style Additions and Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

With over 64 new features and enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019, we've made sure to add to, enhance, and update some of the Style features within the program: StylePicker, StyleMaker, and Song Titles browser within the StylePicker!

StylePicker Enhancements:
-If the style list needs rebuild, it tells you that within the StylePicker, instead of a message that requires a response.
-The rebuild is faster than before by 75%. It takes 1/4 of the time now.
-While the style list is being rebuilt, you can see the progress inside the StylePicker.
-The style list can be filtered by a specific RealTracks/RealDrums/MIDI SuperTracks or RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks in a certain number range.
-You can filter the style list by a specific Xtra Styles PAK.
-The dialog to select an Xtra Styles PAK has a button to take you to the PG Music website that shows information about Xtra Styles PAKs.
-The StylePicker can list all styles (including N/A styles) in the default display.
-The Set number display is improved, including sort by type and Xtra styles.

StyleMaker Improvements:

-The new MIDI velocity offset allows you to make styles with altered loudness for MIDI tracks.
-Styles can be saved with information like a memo, examples, genres, and more, which will be displayed in the StylePicker.
-You can import information from another style. This is useful when you are making a similar style.
-A style can have a huge number of RealTracks (up to 70!) because the StyleMaker now supports RealTracks multi/medley feature, which allows a single track to have up to 10 simultaneous playing of RealTracks.

Song Titles Browser Enhancement

-We’ve added 300 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now over 10,600 titles.
-The chord density filter is available, and it’s also displayed in the memo.
-The chord complexity filter is available.

Review all the new features of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 here.

NEW! Traditional Celtic Tunes with Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you can add the 49-PAK to your order for just $49!

Among the great Add-ons included in the 49-PAK is our Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly, which includes 18 traditional Celtic tunes! You'll find beautifully performed songs like Boys of Bluehill, The Cliffs of Moher, Harvest Home, Rolling in the Rye Glass, and more!

The Celtic RealTracks backing up performances by Geoff Kelly sound amazing, and so do the duets with previous Artist Performance musician Daniel Lapp (on fiddle)! Listen to all the demos for these Artists Performances near the bottom of our Bonus PAKs page, here.

Here's a taste: Demo: Rolling in the Rye Grass

The Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Bonus PAKs!

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you'll receive a FREE Bonus PAK overflowing with great Add-ons, including MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses with 6 MIDI SuperTracks, 21 RealDrums Transcriptions, 120 guitar licks and riffs in Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks, and 15 new MIDI Styles!

Or, upgrade it to the 49-PAK for just $49 and you'll add 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" & Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, 6 more MIDI SuperTracks with Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion, 120 more guitar licks and riffs with Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks, 15 more MIDI Styles, and Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly!

Watch the video highlighting our 49-PAK here, or listen to demos and learn more here.

Free Bonus PAK Contents:
-Look Ma! More MIDI 1
-21 RealDrums Transcriptions
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses
-Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks

2019 49-PAK Contents:
-40 Bonus RealTracks!
-10 "Low Man" and Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks
-Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly
-Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks
-Look Ma! More MIDI 2
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes!

Get to know the new Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows with our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes! video: Click here to watch...

Forum Stats
28412 Members
58 Forums
55154 Topics
459303 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
MaS, Jan Guitar, Brassive, Pgh Steel Man, DJaroslav120

28412 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 328
Pipeline 305