You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#449874 - 01/08/18 07:30 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Laptop & Amp...Sound Problem
Loc: Spring Bay IL.
Geneoh Offline
Enthusiast

So Im running my HP Laptop into a Fender FM25DSP.
And yes Im new at this..anyway Im doig this to simply run Band In A Box
through the amp to blend with guitar.
Its a 2 ch amp with RCA inputs, so headphones out of LT to RCA inputs.
Problem is everything sounds wavy on the RCA ch...out of Laptop.
The laptop plays fine when not connected to the amp.
The sound is best described as wavy...high & low every 2-4 seconds?
Could this be a line out level issue? My laptop also has Beats Audio.
The only way to control the volume of my input ch is from the LT
Im just trying to learn to play with some backing tracks and its very annoying.
I just got the 2018 BIB & dont think it has anything to do with my issue.
I used BIB for a short while 10 years ago..
BTW Im running windows 10
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
Gene

#449897 - 01/08/18 10:22 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Laptop & Amp...Sound Problem [Re: Geneoh]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Geneoh

Its a 2 ch amp with RCA inputs, so headphones out of LT to RCA inputs.

So, if I understand you correctly you are feeding the RCA input of the amp with a headphone output from the laptop?

That won't work very well because the RCA input of the amp is expecting a high impedance, low output signal (line level) and a headphone output will be just the opposite, low impedance, high output.

Do you have a line out on the laptop?

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Youtube page

#449898 - 01/08/18 10:53 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Laptop & Amp...Sound Problem [Re: Geneoh]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

This is one of my personal goals, to ensure no one does it that way (grin).

Dave is correct; the headphone jack is not a line-level signal. The gain can be close if you turn up the laptop maybe two-thirds (varies, of course). The impedance will still be wrong and degrade the sound.

What I really hate, in addition to poor quality sound, is the horrible static-like blast you will hear when the headphone connection isn’t perfect, especially when it is jostled. This can clear a room worse than feedback. And those mini headphone jacks will fail, just by their design.

A much better solution is to get an audio interface that connects to your laptop USB port. You can find these with a gain knob and RCA output jacks.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#449906 - 01/08/18 11:33 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Laptop & Amp...Sound Problem [Re: BlueAttitude]
Geneoh Offline
Enthusiast

Yep, You are understanding me correctly HP out of LT to RCA amp.
The amp manual states, (RCA)for CD MP3 Drum Machine..
But as you mention those devices would or should have RCA out to work properly...
And no I dont have Audio Out on my LT, I surely would have used it rather than the HP jack.
With all respect, Thank you for taking the time.
Gene

#449911 - 01/08/18 11:45 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Laptop & Amp...Sound Problem [Re: Matt Finley]
Geneoh Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks Matt, I'll check with Guitar Center & head that way if they have it?
Gene

#449915 - 01/08/18 11:53 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Laptop & Amp...Sound Problem [Re: Geneoh]
Veteran

I like this for you: a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. Copy this link.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Focusrite/Scarlett-Solo-2nd-Generation-USB-Audio-Interface-1500000010205.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyszSBRDJARIsAHAqQ4psxluOe9TVRrvou7G0N9J7S0S7uCETGi86j2rRNLcNmeEE0-RY45oaAtfGEALw_wcB&kwid=productads-adid^57619015002-device^c-plaid^140858361861-sku^1500000010205@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

Of course, that's a minimum. You can get more inputs and outputs in other Scarlett models. I have a pair of 18i20s and a 6i6 I keep as a spare. Even the 2i2 is good; just get their 2nd generation units (better specs, and in the higher models, better software).

Other brands include Behringer, M-Audio, Apogee etc.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#450032 - 01/09/18 03:55 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Laptop & Amp...Sound Problem [Re: Geneoh]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Adaptors are readily available online and are actually the right tool for the job this time. They are also inexpensive, require no usb or power. This is a common problem with an easy solution. Nearly every church, community center, night club and gigging musician wants to plug their I-device into mixers now days... Here's a high quality cable at B&H Photo.

- Attenuator cable h4n -

Matt is correct that using USB is physically more stable and a better connection, this method is also widely used.

Edited by Charlie Fogle (01/09/18 04:11 AM)

#450053 - 01/09/18 06:42 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Laptop & Amp...Sound Problem [Re: Geneoh]
Veteran

Yes, I skipped that solution because it uses the headphone connection. Potentially very bad. But Charlie is correct that this is the least expensive way to match the signal. It still depends on setting the headphone volume correctly for the right gain staging.

#450070 - 01/09/18 07:44 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Laptop & Amp...Sound Problem [Re: Geneoh]
Loc: Pensacola, Florida
jford Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
This Behringer unit should be arriving in a week or so. I'll let everyone know how it does. I would have liked the Focusrite, but budget constraints for now. My old FastTrack Pro seems to give me more and more problems with each update on my computer (of course it's almost 10 years old and the available drivers are almost as old).

That being said, when it works, the external USB FastTrack Pro plays nicely with my amp and the sound is great.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#450076 - 01/09/18 08:24 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Laptop & Amp...Sound Problem [Re: Geneoh]
Geneoh Offline
Enthusiast

I appreciate the advice here men!
Matt, I have not made it to Guitar Center yet, still scratching my head here! Ive got some odd things going on with this Laptop!
1st off the sound out of the headphone jack is remarkably clean going into the amp other than the volume flex. Obviously a cheap fix would be idea. We also need to keep in mind that I have No Volume Control on the amp for that channel (RCA INPUT), what ever device thats plugged into it controls the volume! So Im assuming the cable alone too level it would not work?
Matt, can you tell me if the USB Audio Interface that you suggested will
control the volume in my situation?
Now..from my recent research on my Laptop (HP Envy 17) Ive found there is an issue with the audio driver, same issue Im have with the HP jack!
What I dont understand is why does it sound clean & just has volume swings, who knows...
Also..Matt will the USB AI bypass my LT sound card & run by itself?
If my LT truly has an audio driver output issue will the other device have the same issue?
Sorry for all the questions & confusion it aint easy being a newbie LOL.
Thanks again guys!

#450089 - 01/09/18 09:04 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Laptop & Amp...Sound Problem [Re: Geneoh]
Veteran

Yes, the Focusrite (or Behringer etc.) would bypass the laptop's sound card (which is a good thing), and yes, it has its own volume control.

#450145 - 01/09/18 01:18 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Laptop & Amp...Sound Problem [Re: Geneoh]
Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

I second (or third) the USB-to-Audio interface.

For your purposes, I think the fewer knobs, bells and whistles will be best.

I use an Edirol UA-1A that I bought in the 1990s. It works great and they come up on E-bay all the time.

The simplicity for live performance is nice. Plug into the USB port, and connect a line from the output of the UA-1A to the amp (in my case the PA).

USB->Audio devices generally have wider bandwidth than the headphone or speaker jack and don't make static connection noises if accidentally jarred.

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#450152 - 01/09/18 01:54 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Laptop & Amp...Sound Problem [Re: Notes Norton]
Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Teunis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
When playing I use a Roland Tricapture into a PA. I plug my guitar into the Tricapture and use TH2 on the laptop for the guitar. That way I have a balance between the backing and guitar. I often play through others equipment doing it the way just mentioned I don't have to play around looking to get a balance just overall volume. I only need one port in a PA or whatever. At home I use a Roland Quadcapture for similar reasons.

I notice some folk use BIAB when performing I use .wav files and Windows media player. I looked at the very good article http://www.nortonmusic.com/backing_tracks.html Bob Notes Norton put out and am considering converting to MP3s. That way I might get a more even volume mix by running the MP3 files through MP3 gain before transferring them to the laptop.

Thanks to all and Bob Notes Norton.

Tony

Edited by Teunis (01/09/18 02:22 PM)

#450425 - 01/10/18 09:09 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Laptop & Amp...Sound Problem [Re: Geneoh]
Geneoh Offline
Enthusiast

Here's an update on what Ive decided to do with some advice here.
I went ahead ordered the Focusrite 6i6 along with a pair of Yamaha HS8 Monitor Speakers. Those Yamaha's not only sound pricey they are pricey!
Anyway I think in the long run Ill be better off this way...
It least I'll have more options and much better sound.
Stay tuned guys, Im sure Ill have more questions once I get started.
Thanks to all !
Gene

#450468 - 01/11/18 06:02 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Laptop & Amp...Sound Problem [Re: Geneoh]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the kind words, Tony.

And let us know how your new system works out Gene.

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#450493 - 01/11/18 10:00 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Laptop & Amp...Sound Problem [Re: Geneoh]
Veteran

I love my Focusrite 6i6 for portable use. You should do well with it.

#450823 - 01/13/18 07:31 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Laptop & Amp...Sound Problem [Re: Geneoh]
Geneoh Offline
Enthusiast

My 6i6 showed yesterday, I mail ordered it & the HS8's..still waiting on the speakers. Anyway got a question about the 6i6 as far as downloading all of the software & drivers, I'd like to install all the software that comes with it on 2 different PC's, my Laptop & Desktop.
So, will I be able to do both or is the downloads only good for one PC?

#450834 - 01/13/18 08:02 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Laptop & Amp...Sound Problem [Re: Geneoh]
Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
sslechta Offline
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
The Focusrite software should work fine on multiple systems. I have mine installed on both laptop and PC.

I use my PC most of the time on the 18i20 and for mobile recording I use it on the laptop.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2018, Pro Tools 2018, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#450845 - 01/13/18 09:09 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Laptop & Amp...Sound Problem [Re: Geneoh]
Veteran

Yes, it will be fine on both.

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® - Freezing Tracks

Like what you hear in Band-in-a-Box®? Make sure to Freeze the track(s) or song! Once frozen, it won't be regeneraged or change when you play it again - and your choice isn't final, since you can unfreeze them just as easily:
-press the blue snowflake button within the track name of the mixer window
-press the blue snowflake button within the expanded toolbar of the program (Ctrl + T will swap between the two toolbar views), and select the track(s)

Note: If you want to force Band-in-a-Box® to generate tracks without adjusting the Freeze settings, hold down the Shift key as you press the [Generate and Play] button (the fly-by hint will remind you of that) or choose the menu command Play | Play Special | Generate (even if tracks are frozen).

To learn more about freezing your Band-in-a-Box® tracks or songs, visit Chapter 5: Playing Songs | Freezing tracks of our Online Manual.

With Band-in-a-Box®, Making Music Has Never Been Easier!

We came across this recent post, Music Making Software: Record, Edit, Create and Share Your Own Songs, which includes Band-in-a-Box® in their list of software you'll need to record and edit your own songs!

One of our favourite products, and one that doesn’t seem to come up much in discussions about music making software, is Band-In-A-Box from PG Music. This is probably the longest established and certainly one of the most popular music making software packages of all time. Already packed with features, the latest version has added functions that in our opinion make this an essential buy for musicians in any genre, for keyboard players, guitarists, singers, in fact any musician looking for an outstanding tool to make the most of their creative ideas.
-www.musicrepo.com

The Download Manager - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

The "Download Manager" within Band-in-a-Box® for Windows is a great tool to confirm or help with the installation of your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows program!

What does the Download Manager do?
Automatically installs Band-in-a-Box® content (RealTracks, RealDrums, etc.) in the background, so you don't have to sit there the whole time! It can also confirm that you've completely installed your purchase.

How do you use it?
Within the program, go to Help | Utilities | Run Download/Install Manager now. Using your activation code, the program will analyze the installation folders, and list anything that still needs to be downloaded and installed.

Learn more about the Download Manager with this tutorial, or check out the topic within the Online Manual.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows Online Manual - Chord List & Shortcuts

Visit the Chord List of our Online Manual, and you'll see all the chords that can be used within the program! The list includes a few Tricky Chords and Shortcut Chords that you may find useful too!

Tricky Chords:
C5b This is "C flat 5." It is spelled this way to avoid confusion.
C2, C5, C4, C69, C7alt, Cm7#5
You can type C-7 for Cm7 (i.e. use the minus sign) or C7-9 for C7b9.

Shortcut Chords
If you enter a lot of songs, you will appreciate these shortcut keys.
J = Maj7
H = m7b5 (H stands for Half diminished)
D = dim
S = 7sus

There's even information on how to add your own chord shortcuts - check it out!

Video Request Answered - Creating Intros, Bridges, and Endings in Band-in-a-Box®

Check out the newest support video created by Kent that explains how to create intros, bridges, and endings in Band-in-a-Box®! Click here to view...

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker Feature

If you have a folder of songs that you'd always like easy access to within Band-in-a-Box, make sure you familiarize yourself with The SongPicker feature, which access the folder that you choose and lock it to!

Access the SongPicker by clicking on the [Song] button next to the title of the song within the main screen of Band-in-a-Box. The first time the SongPicker is opened, you can choose the folder to use to create the list by selecting [Change] and navigating to your preferred directory. Once chosen, select [OK - Make Song List], and Band-in-a-Box does the rest... the next time you click on [Song], you'll be taken directly to your preferred folder!

Learn even more about this feature within Chapter 5 of our Online Manual, here.

Just Launched - The FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

If you have a question (or questions!) about Band-in-a-Box®, PowerTracks, RealBand®, or any other PG Music Inc. product - whether it be technical support or pre-sales, there's now an easy one-stop spot to find the answer - our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

Don't want to read through the 600+ posts? Use the Search FAQ option, and you can choose your key search terms to locate the topic and answer you're looking for!

Common pre-sales questions about our products, ordering, and delivery:
Pre-Sales

Technical support & troubleshooting by product:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Band-in-a-Box® for Mac
RealBand® for Windows
PowerTracks Pro® Audio for Windows
Other Products

There's even a Request New FAQs forum, if you didn't see your question answered anywhere!

Forum Stats
28231 Members
58 Forums
54264 Topics
453235 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
JungleDrum, online alfred, nnygns01, Daveheller, porkchop sound

28230 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 168
Al-David 157