Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Where's WIN7?

Given that vista and *win7 use the same underlying kernel I would expect vista drivers to work in win7. The only vista drivers you may have problems with are the ones that vista had trouble with too. This is a result of the huge number of changes m$ made to driver specs. for vista during the pre-release lead up.

*Despite claims to the contrary, win7 is little more than an efficiency tweak of vista - pretty much what vista should have been when it shipped. Kinda like vista SP 2.5...

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

For anyone trying to contact M-Audio technical support - let me know if you actually get through. I can't. I set up an account years ago and of course forgot my password.

Password resets are so buggy, that M-Audio has a page on what to do when you get a buggy password reset: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=00bf1e831cad948bf1068450d9374f3e

Problem is - that process doesn't work either.

Right now, I'm support-less with my M-Audio products (Fast Track and Oxygen 49)

I have found the M-Audio forum pretty good acutally: M-Audio Forum

They also have done a good job with Win7 drivers in general. Older gear is what is falling off the map. I do happen to have my password to the forum, if there is something specific you want to know I can look it up or post a question. Otherwise, can't you simply set up a new account??

Dan

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
I don't have it and I don't know that I will buy it, but the Zoom R16 looks really cool: USB 2 audio interface, controller, AND 8-input recorder. You can plug it in your computer as an interface and even control your DAW software (if it's compatible). Or you can take it on the road. It really does everything that you could want. Now, how well it works, I don't know...and it's also twice the $200 that you wanted to spend.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=2009

Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Dan,

That Zoom unit does look cool, but that's way beyond my humble needs. Maybe even something as basic as the m-audio Fast Track would do, though the Fast Track Pro does provide midi input, option for 2 mics, more output options, etc. Mostly what I would do is play BIAB or other audio files thru the computer, while playing along/practicing the guitar. If I can be loud, just playing thru the guitar amp is fine. But at night I need to be quiet - which is where the ability to monitor with headphones would be really nice. I've been doing this by plugging the amp into a mixer, along with the computer audio output. It would just be nice to have a single unit that could do all of this. If there are some decent software guitar effects included, I wouldn't even have to bother with the amp. Again, thanks for everyone's input.

Bruce

Macbook Pro 2018
2.6 GHz 6-core Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM
OS Monterey
BIAB for Mac 2022
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Plug your amp into the US-122 and away you go!

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Thanks again. Mac, you'd commented that usb limited you to one stereo channel - what about a device like this m-audio Fast Track Ultra

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUltra.html

Couldn't this record to more than one track at once? Or would all those inputs just be recorded to a single stereo track? Maybe I'm missing the boat on all of this? I don't really have the need for all this input, but I'm just curious and think maybe I'm just not getting it. Or are you saying that usb just doesn't provide enough throughput to reliably perform with a device like this - resulting in drop outs or "pops", crashing your system, or some other such catastrophe?

Don't mean to be a pest about this, but like I said, I'd just like to feel like I understand this.

thanks again,

Bruce

Ignore Sam. Hasn't a clue. He's apparently too busy typing replies to be bothered with going to the website and consulting their manual. Looks like a desirable piece to me.

YES, the Ultra has 8 available inputs if you count the two digital inputs, which all manufacturers do.

Realworld, you could connect up to four Mics and two Lines or use some of the four mic inputs as Line Inputs also, say, two Mics and four line inputs. Plus MIDI at the same time.

What you should be aware of is that this is very likely only to work a the lower bitrates, like 44.1 or 48, USB 2.0 may be fast, but it is not going to handle the bandwidth of six 96khz channels of input all at once. Check the manual, likely is the case that input count goes down at higher rates. But this is certainly not a kill, for recording at 16/44.1 is a very good idea anyway, since that is what CDs are burned at.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This is getting enjoyable. Can we duel at 10 paces with hardware? Never count out the Brits in a duel/war. ON guard!

This likes me well. These foils have all a length?..

Whoops, Hamlet just invaded my grey matter. Or in the US it's gray. Of course I played Hamlet...in the 13th grade at the school play... in 196..never mind.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman

YES, the Ultra has 8 available inputs if you count the two digital inputs, which all manufacturers do.

Realworld, you could connect up to four Mics and two Lines or use some of the four mic inputs as Line Inputs also, say, two Mics and four line inputs. Plus MIDI at the same time.

What you should be aware of is that this is very likely only to work a the lower bitrates, like 44.1 or 48, USB 2.0 may be fast, but it is not going to handle the bandwidth of six 96khz channels of input all at once. Check the manual, likely is the case that input count goes down at higher rates. But this is certainly not a kill, for recording at 16/44.1 is a very good idea anyway, since that is what CDs are burned at.

--Mac

That clears up part of my puzzlement... it sounds like the throughput of this audio data could be too much.

I think the other part of my misunderstanding deals with the "counting the two digital inputs, which all manufacturers do." For this Ultra unit, would ALL of these four mics be recorded to ONE stereo channel in Real Band? or would one be able to assign two of them to track A (L & R) and the other two to track B (L & R)? If you then added two more line inputs, could these then be assigned to track C (L & R), or would ALL of these various inputs all have to go to the same track?

In the instance of the Fast Track Pro, would I be able to use 2 mics (to the same track, L & R) AND also use the two line inputs (to another track), or would ALL the inputs just go to one stereo track?

Bruce

Macbook Pro 2018
OS Monterey
BIAB for Mac 2022
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
My hardware choice requires 7 lbs of pull.

3-1/2 if you cock it.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
LOL, btw, the other guy cut my hand during the foil / sword fight during Hamlet and it got all over my white puffy 'blouse', and dripped down my arm, and everyone thought it was a cool effect. Good thing it was the last performance, needed 12 stitches later.

Great memories, I should post some pics of that performance from the yearbook on my website. The football team QB was Hamlet until the week before when they ditched him and put me in. Huge fight amongst the non nerds. I was the AV/tech for Physics total nerd, who setup the labs for physics, and passed the Senior physics 3 years to soon. I remember we had a 10 foot slide rule on the wall that worked.

Long time ago....

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Here in the States, we had an 11 foot slide rule.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That's just bad. LOL.

Sure dates us.. the big slide rule in the class room.

i tried to explain that to my 22 year old son who does not believe me. A computer on the wall....

It think it was 2 metres. LOL.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Help! I think my questions from 5:28 PM got lost amidst foiling and slide ruling. I also have an engineering degree and once learned to use a slide rule years ago...

Macbook Pro 2018
OS Monterey
BIAB for Mac 2022
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
An engineer should be able to spec their own sound device.

I'm an engineer also. EE

One more question and I'm going to have to bill you for the referral.

Because an engineer should be able to spec their own sound device.

--Mac said that

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
PGMusic forum member "Seamus" posted this great tip for using USB Audio Devices with Windows this morning.

I thought it apropos to cut and paste it here:

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have an M-Audio Black Box which will mix a guitar & microphone together to a USB port.
Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use the same device. Aside from one little issue a while back, it has been set it and forget it. I use it as my standard soundcard, and can plug the guitar in any time. Have also used the mic.

Someone asked about USB. The m-audio website documents a little fix which cured an issue for me. A problem with USB ports - perhaps the problem - is that powersaving is turned on by default. This means that some committe at Microsoft came to a decision about saving the .01 miliamps of power to the USB port when "no activity" is taking place - based upon some stupid algorythm. Long story short, it would work fine then it would disappear. After I learned how to disable power-saving for the particular USB port always connected to the black box - i've never had a problem with it.

Google m-audio black box USB and it should take you there.

OK here is the link:
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=6a9f49d7baa4fcc087d25acbdd34f27f

Problems with USB devices - USB Root Hub Power Management problems (XP)

Q: My M-Audio USB Audio- or MIDI interface fails to install, doesn't work after installation, or drops out of the system every now and then. What could be the cause of this?

A: A common reason for such problems is the Power Management function of the USB Root Hub. Under Windows XP, disabling the Power Management for all USB Root Hubs in your system should resolve this problem:

1. Open the Device Manager (Start-> right click on "My Computer", click on "Properties" -> Hardware -> Device Manager)
2. Look under the category Universal Serial Bus controllers and find the USB Root Hub.
3. Right click and select Properties, go to the Power Management tab
4. Uncheck the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." and click "OK".

Repeat this for each of the USB Root Hubs shown in the Device Manager.

Hotlink to the actual post (with live hotlinks to the references) here:

http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/showfl...;gonew=1#UNREAD

Cut and paste the directions to a file stored on your computer for later reference and use.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Mac,

Thanks for all the helpful input - I think this will really help getting one of these usb devices to work without hopefully chucking the whole thing. The warning about power management is greatly appreciated. I searched these forums, but think I only went back 1-2 years, so didn't find that.

I have a degree in engineering (chemical), but have never actually been an engineer. Seems kind of funny to consider that, but I doubt I'm the only person who ended up in some field outside their undergraduate degree.

I'm also certainly no computer guru. Again, appreciate your input.

Bruce

Macbook Pro 2018
OS Monterey
BIAB for Mac 2022
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My undergraduate degree was a BSc Hons in Business Computing Systems and I am not working in that field but I am in Business, I use Computing and PG software is one hell of a system, as far as I am concerned.

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I got her Phd. In general life. My wife is amazed at the cr** I know. The P stands for Piled. the h for high. And the d is for deep.

I did get one of my polished silver medals with my name on the rim from Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth. She couldn't make it in person so I got to go meet her Canadian representative at Rideau Hall. They have nice hors d'oevres, and wine was nice. I got that for being a good boy for 20 years, never got in trouble once. I think the next time she comes to Canada she should drop by and suck some maple syrup with the family and I and she could polish the medal.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,510
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195