Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Hi,

I am going through styles sequentially looking for something specific and marking them as Fav for future random use in live jams. They all must have a guitar part so I first step down the styles list until I find a guitar. However I have to play the style against a test song before I can choose to mark it as Fav or not. I am looking for guitar styles in (swing, bossa/latin, fusion, etc) that always land at least on beat #1 or on every beat. These are to serve the purpose of replacing a cowbell as a click track because I can not isolate the cowbell in the soloist track completely to the right channel and also I want a guitar so I can get the chords (like a super click track). The good news is I am managing to find excellent styles for this purpose.

Here is the problem:
When I find a potential candidate I click okay to hear it in the test song I am using. This of course closes down the style picker screen. Regardless of whether I have to go back and mark it as "Fav" or not when I go back to continue where I left off I am taken back to the very start of the styles every time. To deal with this I am having to use a yellow sticky to mark my place just before I click okay on a potential candidate to test. Not only that when I get down past the first screen's worth of these I have to mark on the sticky the number of screens I have to step down before I get back to my place.

It would be nice to have a checkbox that takes me back to my place so the very first style showing at the top of the screen is the last one I clicked okay to. Maybe it would be better to have it as a bottom half button option.

Thanks,
John

P.S. This is a feature worth paying for. It is too bad you do not have a way to notify wishlist posters their request has been put in. As an example while using BIAB 2012 I asked for a metronome count in when the drums is muted. Later I bought BIAB 2016 for other reasons. I discovered by chance that this feature had been put into BIAB 2016 and I was using it for a long time before I accidentally stumbled on it.

Last edited by bowlesj; 01/08/18 08:03 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
John,

Have you tried using the Play/Stop that I've highlighted on the image below?

These controls allow a user to generate the backing using the current chordsheet without having to exit Stylepicker.

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
play current chord sheet.JPG (27.78 KB, 87 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Also, if you place a check mark in the four bar preview, it doesn't take that long to generate the preview.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Hi Guys, I did try the "Play Using Current Chord Sheet for song". I also just now (after reading your suggestions) tried it with the guitarist track soloed which I need to do. However to do my test properly I need to hear the count in to be sure the guitar is playing on beat #1 at a minimum. It also helps to see the BIAB highlighting each new bar if I get tired of counting :-) I realized this when I was listening to one guitar track thinking it was landing on beat one but after a while I finally realized it was actually landing on beat two and not playing beat one at all. I don't want to throw the musicians off by 1 beat :-)

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Yes, 'Play Using Current Chord Sheet for song' doesn't provide a count-in, which would be a requirement in your case.
+1

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
On the style picker screen I was playing with the motion keys (home, end, page up, page down).

Page down does not seem to work properly. It would be best if it took the bottom entry and put it at the top for verification on the next page. It actually takes it several entries past one page.

A good key to take you back to your last selected item would be the backspace key. It would put the last selected at the top. Page up would then shift it to the bottom location (assuming there were this many before it).

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Page-Up and Page-Down keyboard keys are working correctly here for me.

I also resized the Stylepicker to smaller than full screen, and the keyboard controls adjust to the new window size correctly.

Home and End keys are also working OK.

When you mention 'motion keys' I presume these are navigation keys on the keyboard?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Yes thank you VideoTrack! I was trying to think of the proper term (navigation keys) but it had slipped me for a moment in all the commotion :-)

Home and end still work for me.

Actually page-down and page-up do work for me. I was expecting the first press of them to move the page. It isn't until the 2nd press of page-down that it works in that the lowest item has to be highlighted before it jumps a page. The same is true of page-up.

Last edited by bowlesj; 01/08/18 02:44 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Hi john,

Try the following.

Goto the Style Picker and click on the Action button (down at the bottom) then choose set Dialgue Options.
In there Set Show Current Style in list even if it doesn't match filter to always.

You should then see your current style highlighted and you can continue with the next style without having to go back to the beginning.

Regards

George

Windows 11 64 bit, Biab 2023 1006, Realband 2023 (1)
i7 Desktop Computer 16Gb Memory

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Hi George, it worked. Thank you very much.

I had to do it a bit different since I have 2016. The action button is missing from 2016. I had to click the options button to find the "Show current style in list even if it doesn't match the filter" then as you said I chose "Always".

This will save me a lot of time during my several days or weeks of searching for on the beat guitar/piano tracks. This will probably help many others too since I have had need for this to a certain extent several times in the past. In the past I generally just kept going until I found a style I was happy with. Even then I could go through several screens before I found a style I liked. I am sure many do at least this much and will appreciation your post.

Regards,
John

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Hi John,

Glad you got it sorted (even if I gave instructions for Biab 2018). blush

Regards

George

Windows 11 64 bit, Biab 2023 1006, Realband 2023 (1)
i7 Desktop Computer 16Gb Memory

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
Hi George,
Thank you so much for this solution - works a treat! This has been annoying me for the last couple of years and I literally raised it with the tech support team as a bug only yesterday - wish I'd read your post first.

What a lovely community this is!

Regards, Aubrey

If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199