Print Thread
Go To
#450479 01/11/18 05:47 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It's way OT but you all are my family.

My wife teaches yoga, and belongs to a loose association of yoga teachers at a community center. They currently are using Facebook but I think they need a site where they can post a calendar, some bios, and permanent info.

So can anyone recommend a free website? I don't think they want to register their own domain name (although I think they should), so something that might have THEIRYOGANAME@webprovidersname.com

I hope that explains it.

A "Leader" used to run everything, but she is moving away. I don't want to put it on the nortonmusic.com domain, but I don't mind working up a few web pages for them.

They are good teachers, but their philosophy is not to make huge profits, but to share the benefits. It's donation based and if people can't afford, they come anyway, and it's held at a community center.

They think the yoga studios that charge $15 per lesson is not the way to go.

Any suggestions?

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Notes, you can do what I've done in the past. You can get them their own domain name and use it as a sub-domain on your nortonmusic.com. Just a matter of working with your hosts to get it done. The yoga folks would have a sub-folder on your site but all references would just show their domain on the web.

I only pay like 10 bucks a year for my domains and maybe $20 a year for my storage space for those domains. It's definitely cheap.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wix has a pretty full featured free site. I used the free verson until I upgraded, And you get a lot. Free has some ads, and they are mostly unobtrusive and many were just for Wix itself.

Check it out at wix.com

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Second John's suggestion for +++ Wix.com +++ ? They can have a website for free, there are plenty of templates and stock material to choose from, videos and technical support give good FAQ / How To advice, Wix gives the website a distinct name and URL and it is super easy to upgrade to paid later on if there is a need to do so.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I hear lots of bad stuff about Wix. Main downside is they own your website. You cannot ever move it somewhere else. If that doesn't bother you though the price is right.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Many free services don't let to move your site. It's a matter of do you want free and easy, or are you going to be/hire an HTML programmer?

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with sslechta, as Notes has had a site for a long time.
He likely has a CPanel or other Hosting Account management tool.

If you understand simple DNS, and how to get the website alive, you could essentially only incur the cost of the additional domain name.

I've had 2 - 8 websites on my hosting account over the years, and actually they increased my storage to 'unlimited' for my plan recently. I use it for backups sometimes .. using FTP I can upload anything.

I pay a little more than sslechta ($100/year or so).
Not sure what Notes currently pays for hosting for a year.

GoDaddy, 1and1, Hostgator .. they all have ways to run multiple sites on a hosting plan. Most do.

Last edited by rharv; 01/11/18 02:30 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
In this part of the planet a number of ISPs in fact offer web space as a part of the services you pay for in your monthly fees. However, you have to design, setup and maintain your own site which usually gets neglected.

As far as domain goes it should be possible to create a sub domain and point it to wherever you have the server running the web site assuming you own the server and the original domain. Eg Fred.mydomain.com as a sub of mydomain.com or as is seen a lot au.mydomain.com or uk.mydomain.com all being parts of mydomain and these could be on different servers in different countries. ( it has been a while since troubleshooting these issues)

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 01/11/18 03:08 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've been with these guys for about 10 years. Great value, low price.

Host Cherry

My Plan, below:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Untitled.png (14.94 KB, 81 downloads)
HostCherry

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Back when I had a web page I had a sub page that didn't even have a link that showed. (It was for 6 of us to talk about things that were best not discussed in public.) Depending on what your wife's group is after something like that would suffice. If it is just for member to see calendars and notices, they don't need much. If it is also for the public, then it is probably better that they have their own domain. It could be nortonmusic.com/yogastuff or something more meaningful. It wouldn't show on your page and unless some adventurous soul would have any kind of inkling that there is a sub page called yogastuff. (I changed my hidden extension word every month or so due to what was there. And it was ridiculous words like vanillabaseballs or flamingunderwear. Nothing a normal person would guess.)

On the "however" side, it costs, what, 10 bucks to buy a domain name and Steve has steered you toward $12 a year for hosting.

Does anybody in that group know how to maintain a web page? How to use an FTP client to move the files up and down? Of course YOU do but this sounds like it could end up as a new science project for you.

Last edited by eddie1261; 01/12/18 06:17 AM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
one of many google sites 2/0 tutorials

What can you do with the new Sites

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks all.

I am my own webmaster and did my Norton Music site http://www.nortonmusic.com and my Sophisticats site http://www.s-cats.com

If you go to my Sophisticats site, you see that it points to a sub on the Norton Music site.

I talked putting the yoga on my site the same way and Leilani thinks some of the girls wouldn't like that because if Leilani move on, they would want to keep their site.

I'd prefer a site where I can do my own HTML but if I need to use a template I will.

I'll look at the wix.com and see if that would work.

Thanks again,
Bob

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, just so you know, there is very likely a way to have the s-cats site not show as a NortonMusic URL if desired.

This type of DNS, Domain and Hosting work is my main gig.
I set up a couple sites a week on average. Some of them pretty complex, all intertwined and sharing resources, but still separate.

WomenMarines.org is one example; regular website (www), members area, ecommerce, convention booking and donation subdomains. And running in one root folder.
/They are separate enough to use differing payment gateways, which is why we needed all the subdomains to begin with.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I don't mind s-cats.com showing nortonmusic.com once they get there, but a couple of the other teachers don't want the site to be hosted by me.

I don't mind hosting it on my site, but I don't want anyone else to be able to log into my site and I think a couple of the girls are looking for some control.

They have mass mailings at vertical response and every one of the teachers can log in with the same credentials and send out class announcements for their own classes. I suppose they want the site to be flexible and elect someone different each year to have main control.

It's a strange group. They have great intentions. Most yoga classes in the area are $15 a class, and they figure if someone takes a few classes a week, it will cost too much.

They feel that they can have it donation based, make a little money, but by using the city rec center they can do it with no overhead and share the knowledge without breaking the bank.

Good intentions, but they are running it as a committee - and that complicates everything.

I'm just offering to help without getting too involved.

Notes

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
if their only reason for wanting a web site is to host permanent documents that don't scroll away and a calendar, FB can already do that.

Once you create a group (which I'm guessing Leilani's yoga friends have already done) it automatically includes the following sub-groups:

ABOUT (where you post the purpose of the group and any special info you want to be known about it, such as addresses, phone numbers etc)

DISCUSSION (where members post messages)

MEMBERS ( a searchable list of everyone who has joined)

EVENTS (not a full-fledged calendar, but scheduled events appear here where they can be found without having to sort through hundreds of messages)

VIDEOS (in the case of a yoga group, they could post instructional video here )

PHOTOS (for whatever purpose they might need)

FILES (using tools that are built into FB, they can create and edit text files for such purposes as group rules, sets of instructions, contact information etc etc etc. The FILES area can also be used for uploads/downloads of files the members may want to share.

GROUP INSIGHTS (not sure what this is for)

Advantages of staying with FB are as follows:

1) the members are already using it so there's no learning curve (except to use the features that are already there, but which they may not have been using)

2) it's free

3) whereas a website needs to be promoted and advertised in order to drive traffic to it, FB groups are instantly connected to an audience of millions if you make it an open group. If you want to keep it a small close knit group of friends, then make it a closed group.

4) the ability to moderate the site can be shared by one, many or all members, so no problem if Leilani (or anyone else) leaves the group.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Nice idea Pat
I don't FB, but there is also the Google Docs option if they just need a Calendar and Documents (with revisions), etc.

https://www.google.com/docs/about/

However, both of these options are much different than a website. As Pat noted "a website needs to be promoted and advertised in order to drive traffic to it" .. but only if driving traffic to it is one of the goals.
If they just need common access to some files, that's even easier.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
I don't FB, but there is also the Google Docs option

I just went to Google Docs for the first time ever and in about 30 minutes I put together a web page for my life on the road, with 3 sub pages, links, pics....

Extremely simple to use.

Last edited by eddie1261; 01/14/18 05:21 AM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Why pick one? Maybe the best of both worlds would be to stay on FB and post a sticky link to Google Docs?

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
That's good to know Pat.

However, I'm not as enthusiastic about FB as a lot of others are.

Why? Facebook is exclusive. There are plenty of people who will not do facebook - period. Either they know it's voluntary spyware, or just don't want to follow the herd.

The www is inclusive, anyone with a computer and Internet connection can see it. And a bookmark makes it instant, no logging in, no wading through a dozen or more items demanding your attention, etc.

The yoga girls used to have a website. The woman who started the group was well-to-do, and took care of all the expenses herself. Like the other teachers, the object was to share yoga with the community for both those who can and those who can't afford the lessons that the gyms and yoga studios charge.

But the woman who used to foot the bill for everything is moving 'up north'.

The lessons are donation based, and 30% goes to the community center for the use of the room.

The blankets, blocks, mats and other props are a shared expense now, and the girls are trying to keep their expenses low.

They use the free version of Vertical Response to announce their classes to a mailing list and add a post on FB.

But the web site used to have bios of all the teachers, some yoga philosophy, and other permanent pages, along with a calendar so the students could plan ahead to attend the teacher(s) they like the most.

The teachers use different styles, one does flow, Leilani does Iyengar, another does Ashtanga, and so on.

They don't want to abandon the FB page, but having a nice permanent home that can be accessed without logging in, or for those who are anti-Facebook is IMHO essential.

I subscribe to my friends/competitors bands' FB feed, and if I don't go directly to their page, their announcements come way down in my news feed, between cat pictures, political rants, pictures of people's kids/grandkids, and food pictures. Plus they are advertising to the world when they aren't at home.

And I have very few FB friends. I don't accept invitations from people I don't know, I don't solicit friends, I'm mainly on there because my x-wife and children live about 1500 miles away and they do FB instead of e-mail.

I try to minimize my time on FB - and yes - I know it's voluntary spyware. But that's another subject.

Insights and incites by Notes

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,514
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195