Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#451279 - 01/15/18 10:16 AM [User Showcase] Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman)
Loc: Florida
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

I just recently started working with a talented lyricist I met on Facebook named Skipper Laman. He was looking for someone who does country music to transform his lyrics into songs. He sent me these lyrics and let me have a go at it. I'll be releasing this later in the week as a single.

Never Gonna Be That Guy

Tempo: 114bpm

Real Tracks...
2578: Bass, Synth, Retro Pop
2670: Pedal Steel, Background Hippy Train
2635: Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Country Rock High
2634: Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Country Blues Rock
1170: Guitar, Electric, Soloist Rock Medium Brent
Real Drums: Driving Pop 8ths

This song uses all real tracks from BIAB 2018. I Exported each track to Cubase 9 for editing and mixing. There was a fair amount of compression added to all of the guitar tracks (Including pedal steel.) For the drum I used a trick that David Snyder posted in the forums. I tripled the drum track then isolated the kick on one track and the snare on another using EQ. Then I mixed them with the original drum track to give it a little extra kick and snap. The solo was made from 2 different renderings of the Brent Mason solo real track.

For vocals I recorded one lead vocal track and tripled it. I then added various (yet similar) effects to each track and mixed them together to my liking. Backup vocals were doubled then panned hard left and right.

I tried something new in the mastering of this piece in an attempt to streamline things. It seems to work well and will probably be using it again. I created 2 group channels on the end of my channel chain. The first one has all the tracks sent to it to add saturation. Then that group is sent to the second for mastering where I add final compression, EQ and maximizing. The mix is then exported to a separate track for normalization before final exportation.

For the first time in my recording process I also used a reference track which seemed to help with getting the sound I wanted. I will definitely be using this in future productions.

Lyrics:
Girl I like you, you say you like me too
But what you want from me I can't give to you
I just want you to know before things go wrong
I wanna live my life like a country song

I wanna hop in my truck, and take it for a spin
Watch a football game, drink a beer with a friend
I wanna fish all day, and party all night
Maybe go to a bar, maybe get in a fight
Life's too short and damn it I'm too young
To just call it quits before I've had my fun
I know you wanna settle down, but I won't lie
I ain't ever gonna be that guy
No I'm never gonna be that guy.

You want a little white house with a big back yard
A couple of kids and a family car
You want happy ever after, like in your dreams
But that white picket fence, girl it ain't my thing

Well, I love hot women and I love cold beer
I love a sad country song that will bring a year
I wanna party till I die, then do it all again
So maybe you and I, should just be friends

(Spoken) I just can't be that guy.

Edited by Samuel Davis (01/15/18 10:49 AM)

www.sammycountry.com

#451315 - 01/15/18 02:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Every thing does come together well on this Samuel.
Lyrics are very well constructed as is the tune.
Thanks for the tips may give some ago myself.
Very well done. Rob

#451327 - 01/15/18 03:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
sslechta Offline
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
Nice song Sam. Sounds very well produced.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2018, Pro Tools 2018, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#451339 - 01/15/18 03:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Expert

Loc: Missouri
Samuel, everything sounds great to me! Looks like you have a good partner to collaborate on songs with! Wishing you all the best! Thanks, Torrey

#451370 - 01/15/18 06:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Very cool country tune Samuel. Super vocal and backtrack. Super mix. Drums were excellent..

#451467 - 01/16/18 06:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Torrey Bliss]
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Samuel, everything sounds great to me! Looks like you have a good partner to collaborate on songs with! Wishing you all the best! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks torrey. Yeah, I already am working on 2 more sets of lyrics Skipper sent me and we are probably going to team up for FAWM to knock out a bunch of songs.

www.sammycountry.com

#451468 - 01/16/18 06:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Scott C]
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool country tune Samuel. Super vocal and backtrack. Super mix. Drums were excellent..

Thanks Scott. I like the way the drums came out on this as well.

www.sammycountry.com

#451471 - 01/16/18 06:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Samuel, this sounds pro all the way - great job!

Bob

#451534 - 01/16/18 11:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Samuel,

Hot women and cold beer and all the requisite Country items...

Guitars sound good... drums, too... a nice opening.

You have a great voice for these type songs.

fj

#451604 - 01/16/18 03:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
The guitar sounds so nice in this one! And the lyrics are really fantastic. You guys did an awesome job!

#451642 - 01/16/18 07:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Expert

Loc: Middletown, PA.
Great country rocker

strong vocals, good write, cool song

enjoyed,

Kenny

#451858 - 01/17/18 03:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Samuel,
Very enjoyable - this rocks as snappily as you intended and your vocal really carries the energy.
Thanks for including your work process - the end product sounds excellent!

Robert

#451901 - 01/17/18 07:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: floyd jane]
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Samuel,

Hot women and cold beer and all the requisite Country items...

Guitars sound good... drums, too... a nice opening.

You have a great voice for these type songs.

fj

Damn strait. Got to have the women and beer lol. Thanks Floyd.

www.sammycountry.com

#451903 - 01/17/18 07:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

Thank you everyone for your comments. I'm glad you all enjoy it.

www.sammycountry.com

#451910 - 01/17/18 09:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: New Zealand
RichMac Offline
Expert

Loc: New Zealand
Wow Samuel.
Sounds like a very danceable line dance song.
Fascinating technical notes and all very well done fun.
Cheers.

#451999 - 01/18/18 10:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: RichMac]
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: RichMac
Wow Samuel.
Sounds like a very danceable line dance song.
Fascinating technical notes and all very well done fun.
Cheers.

I hadn't thought about that Rich but your right. Cpuld easily electric slide or boot scoot to it.

www.sammycountry.com

#452033 - 01/18/18 11:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Another great country rocker Samuel. Love!

Catchy! Awesome hook.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#452058 - 01/18/18 01:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Samuel,

I enjoyed that! As others have said, the production sounds excellent, first class. Everything about this shines with confidence and competence.

Regards,
Noel

#452084 - 01/18/18 02:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: Samuel Davis]
Loc: Midwest
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Loc: Midwest
Samuel, from beat one I was interested. Really nice groove and arrangement. You obviously put time into your production too.

Now one thing I want to very specifically mention is, I am always impressed with your vocal delivery of rhythms. You are so good at that!

Great job all the way around.

#452527 - 01/20/18 09:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Never Gonna Be That Guy (Collab with Skipper Laman) [Re: HearToLearn]
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Samuel, from beat one I was interested. Really nice groove and arrangement. You obviously put time into your production too.

Now one thing I want to very specifically mention is, I am always impressed with your vocal delivery of rhythms. You are so good at that!

Great job all the way around.

Thank you much. I've studied vocal music since I was young and done many kinds of music. It kind of comes as second nature now.

www.sammycountry.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows Online Manual - Chord List & Shortcuts

Visit the Chord List of our Online Manual, and you'll see all the chords that can be used within the program! The list includes a few Tricky Chords and Shortcut Chords that you may find useful too!

Tricky Chords:
C5b This is "C flat 5." It is spelled this way to avoid confusion.
C2, C5, C4, C69, C7alt, Cm7#5
You can type C-7 for Cm7 (i.e. use the minus sign) or C7-9 for C7b9.

Shortcut Chords
If you enter a lot of songs, you will appreciate these shortcut keys.
J = Maj7
H = m7b5 (H stands for Half diminished)
D = dim
S = 7sus

There's even information on how to add your own chord shortcuts - check it out!

Video Request Answered - Creating Intros, Bridges, and Endings in Band-in-a-Box®

Check out the newest support video created by Kent that explains how to create intros, bridges, and endings in Band-in-a-Box®! Click here to view...

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker Feature

If you have a folder of songs that you'd always like easy access to within Band-in-a-Box, make sure you familiarize yourself with The SongPicker feature, which access the folder that you choose and lock it to!

Access the SongPicker by clicking on the [Song] button next to the title of the song within the main screen of Band-in-a-Box. The first time the SongPicker is opened, you can choose the folder to use to create the list by selecting [Change] and navigating to your preferred directory. Once chosen, select [OK - Make Song List], and Band-in-a-Box does the rest... the next time you click on [Song], you'll be taken directly to your preferred folder!

Learn even more about this feature within Chapter 5 of our Online Manual, here.

Just Launched - The FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

If you have a question (or questions!) about Band-in-a-Box®, PowerTracks, RealBand®, or any other PG Music Inc. product - whether it be technical support or pre-sales, there's now an easy one-stop spot to find the answer - our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

Don't want to read through the 600+ posts? Use the Search FAQ option, and you can choose your key search terms to locate the topic and answer you're looking for!

Common pre-sales questions about our products, ordering, and delivery:
Pre-Sales

Technical support & troubleshooting by product:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Band-in-a-Box® for Mac
RealBand® for Windows
PowerTracks Pro® Audio for Windows
Other Products

There's even a Request New FAQs forum, if you didn't see your question answered anywhere!

Over 190 Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Today's the day we say "Happy Birthday" to Adolphe Sax, the creator of the Saxophone!
(Adolphe was born November 6, 1814 - 32 years later he patended his saxophone creation!)

We have more than 190 Saxophone RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box with the following RealTracks Sets - review the complete list here.

Check our our Saxophonist programs for Windows:
The Jazz Saxophonist
The Rock Saxophonist

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box®!

Here's some of the amazing feedback we've received lately, from program users just like you!

Arthritic fingers means I find it very difficult to play anything. This program is amazing - and it does use real musicians!
-Bob E.

The power of this program is just unbelievable! It's been a best kept secret for a couple of decades now. A song writer's dream!
-Mike D

This band can practice any time of day ...LOL
-William G

Band-in-a-Box works so simple you could teach a child to do it within minutes - the RealTracks are amazing. Doing an album as we speak. I challenge you to give it a try. I am 60 years old and even though I've played 50 years, I am no engineer. But as a song writer I needed some effective tools to create quality production of my work. This is IT! It's as easy as typing and filling in the blanks. The instructional videos allow you to change settings while watching the pro. I myself purchased every "RealTrack" I could get... Take it from me, don't let this overwhelm you. It is absolutely a writer and solo artist dream!
-John S

Best part of Band-in-a-Box is that it saves me having to program drums, the Real Drummer part of the software is brilliant and natural sounding. I then layer real instruments with guys from my band. As a songwriter, Band-in-a-Box has saved me so much time it's ridiculous.
-Andy B

Incredible Software. Great for ignorance and experts and for anyone who wants to deal with music. If you do not have a hobby and want to have one "Band-in-a-Box" is the best choice. Simple, but if you want to be an expert on it, you need to make an effort to master it perfectly for perfect use. The only disadvantage is if you do not want to become a musician, and use it, you will become a perfect musician. Therefore, be cautious. It's not a toy. ;)
-Ilija B.

Been a BIAB man since '92, such a comprehensive source for music making! So much more to offer than "loops", it allows actual music composition to be realized. Evolve from harmonic ignorance and find out what REAL music is made of!
-Don D.

A must for any musician who wants to improve on his own, or to share his musical ideas in a professional high quality rendition.. You just play with the best musicians and that's great ♪ :)
-Jean-Marie D.

I use Band in a Box all the time. I couldn't be more pleased. It's easy to use and it sounds super-big time!
-Max R.

An excellent tool for generating backing tracks. Saves me hours of MIDI programming. Combines the best of MIDI and live audio samples.
-Steve A.

Video Help - My Band-in-a-Box® Won't Open!

Our NEW I want a video that shows me how to .... forum is off to a GREAT start! We've answered the common question/issue of "My program won't open!" with the following video: How To: Return to Factory Settings outside Band-in-a-Box (Win).

Want to see a video about a particular issue your having with the program? Post your request here, we're happy to help!!

Forum Stats
28179 Members
59 Forums
54849 Topics
454546 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
donshar0584, ronlomax, exnavyabfc, Pimanpepper, Lasseens

28179 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 194
Rustyspoon# 134