Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
S
sqig Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Just bought BB2016 and want to use the patches ( non GM ) from my Korg M1 VST, but I cant get BB to play the right patch. It seems to randomly chose a patch that bears no rsemblance to the one I am chosing. I am picking the same GM NUMBER in the Plugin part of the mixer, that correspondes with the number of the the patch I want in the drop down menu shown in the Korg VST window, and I get a different patch playing, and cant see the relationship between the two? how do I match up my chosen Korg patch with what BB wants to play?

Veteran
Veteran
Are you using the Korg M1 Patch Map
It's available from the PGM Web Site

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
S
sqig Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
I looked at that but it is only a DK file for drums not an instrument patch file

Veteran
Veteran
Here is a complete list of Korg Legacy Collection M1 and all cards (programs and combis)
it was in Japanese - this is the translated to English link

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://i16.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2013-03-30-1&prev=search

The LIST can be cut and pasted into a text editor - from there you'll have to figure out how to make bank/program changes for BIAB or RB or PTPA that work properly in the M1 VSTi

just an FYI, turns out Sonar comes with an Korg M1 .ins file but its ONLY for the internal ROM presets (100 programs and NO combi's)

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013272/Instrument-Definitions#Explained

look down until you see

"Download Download Instrument Definitions included with the latest Cakewalk software "

when you unzip that there will be a Korg.ins file (it will have a lot of Korg synths beyond M1 but you can find the M1 factory list "Korg M1 Factory Default" starting at line 2440)

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
S
sqig Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Wow...thank you. how would I have ever figured that out! What you are saying is I get the list and use it to manually direct BIAB to the right patch based on the "map list " ?
Conversely what would I do with the sonar .ini file, if I was happy to just use the 100 ROM presets ?
Thank you so much for taking the time to help. Its much appreciated.

Veteran
Veteran
±+ HERE ++ is a link that describes how to convert a Cakewalk INS file to a BiaB INS file.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
S
sqig Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Thank you...I have some work to do !
and thank you for your kind welcome.

Veteran
Veteran
I looked at this a little more. So far (and I'm still looking at this ), for now, it looks like you must MANUALLY set the M1 for Program mode or Combi mode. However, the

MSB (aka controller 0, or 2nd column in a .pat file) and LSB's (aka controller 32, or the 3rd number in a .pat file) to select individual Program's/Combi's from all the cards are as follows:

To select one of the ~2600+ PROGRAMS:

Any MSB (is immaterial - so far - so leave it at 0 or 1):

LSB 0 - 21 are "Cards 1" thru "KLC," and

LSB 22 - 25 are "User 1" thru "User 4" cards respectively, and

LSB 26 - 36 are the T1 cards 1 thru 11 respectively

To select one of the ~1650+ COMBI's 's use the SAME LSB to obtain the Combi from the SAME card as the respective programs:

Any MSB (again is immaterial - so far - so leave it at 0 or 1):

LSB 0 thru 21 are "Cards 1" thru "KLC," and

LSB 22 thru 25 are "cards" "User 1" thru "User 4" respectively, and

LSB 26 -36 are the T1 cards 1 thru 11 respectively

While converting the Sonar Korg M1 .ins to a BIAB .pat file will work, it only converts what is there. and until someone does entire M1, right now that is only CARD 1 programs (or the first 100 factory ROM programs), as I mentioned previously.

But it does give you a starting point like [CARD 1-prgs] sample below, you need to add cards 2 thru KLC. I started CARD 2 sample (set LSB=1, 3rd column), and then repeat all that for the Combi's if you want to be able to call those up as well.

[CARD 1-prgs]
1.0.0=00 Universe
2.0.0=01 Piano 16'
3.0.0=02 Brass 1
4.0.0=03 Ooh/Ahh
5.0.0=04 Guitar 1
….
[CARD 2-prgs]
1.0.1=00 One World
2.0.1=01 Piano2 16'
3.0.1=02 Alto Sax
4.0.1=03 Spectrum 2
5.0.1=04 E.Bass 2

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
S
sqig Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
This is very interesting, if perhaps a little beyond my normal comprehension of how to make things work in any software, never mind BIAB.
If I'm understanding so far... I can convert the Sonar .ini file automatically in BIAB using the method in the link above. At that point the first 100 patches should connect by assigning the relevant patch number in BIAB.
If I want to do the same for more patches, I have to change the numbering system as per your last post. Do you do that by opening the new .pat file in Notebook??? Make the numbering changes. Then save it as a new .pat file. Or is there some other way to make those changes?
Sorry I'm really not as deeply conversant with this stuff as you are!

Veteran
Veteran
First, aside from our discussion on building a .pat file, based on what you said I think you might be confused on how these VSTi's get called up by BIAB (and ANY DAW). Assuming you have a pat file for a certain synth (VSTi), or you do convert the Sonar .ins file to a .pat file, you must STILL tell BIAB, or ANY DAW not just BIAB, to load the Korg M1 or whatever synth/VSTi you want.

BIAB will not CALL UP the Korg M1 VSTi by simply using the Korg M1 .pat file.

Next, what I was explaining above was how to CREATE a FULL .pat file that has ALL of the Korg M1 patches, not just first factory 100, but all 2600+ programs (aka patches).

I was just suggesting a STARTING point: by using the one converted from Sonar (the .ins) by BIAB into a .PAT and ADDING to it.

I was NOT suggesting you keep editing the same file over and over or even creating a separate .pat file for each 100 patches (one per card as it were) that would be tedious to use - you'd have to remember which Korg M1 "Card" had which patch and call up that .pat file.

Good luck
Larry

S
sqig Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Thanks Larry, I've got the Korg M1 working with the sonar ini file converted. I was already ok with the loading the M1 first, so that wasn't a problem. I'm way ahead now thanks to the forum for your help.
My next adventure will be to write these new .pat files.
Again I think you are saying use the .pat file I have now and add to it with the numbers you gave an example with. And now you are saying make one .pat file with all the cards included. Am I right?
Regards

Veteran
Veteran
Correct one big PAT that has ALL of the M1 Cards - unless there are some you NEVER plan to use (like the drums or special effects, etc.)

If you had a programmers text editor that allowed COLUMNAR marking, editing, & cut/paste it makes making these big .ins, or .pat, or.ini's a lot easier and faster (something like Multi-Edit, not even sure that's sold anymore?)

but there are other ways-like brute force typing or

Creating the number lists (e.g., "n.0.m = p " where n goes 1-128 and m goes 0-127 and P goes from 1-128 or 0-127 or whatever the synths patch, MSB, LSB, = program numbering scheme is) in Excel (or MS Acesss or ...) then cut & pasting in the card's (bank, etc.) 128 patch/program text names from the big list you linked to in that Japanese site into the column next to that now created number list (which you COULD/SHOULD steal from and existing .pat file), then merging the two columns.

Then export that card (bank) list of 128 patches and simply open your MS text editor and add those to your existing .pat file at bottom with a delimiter like [CARD X - name], rinse and repeat.

There are multiple ways to do it - some slicker than others - some faster than others- some dumber than others - some worse than others

When your all done you might want to share your work here for others. Test it, then send to PG support so they can post it for others to use (that's how a lot of the ones you see over at support got there)

good luck
Larry

Hi Larry, I just did a Korg M1 .PAT file, from a .INS file I also created which works in Sonar LE etc.,, just the programme names on the 32 cards, so over 2500 patches, no Combis
- do you think these will be useful?
I don't seem to get any reliable results in BiaB when trying to select the Higher Bank patches, it doesn't seem to list all the patches unless i manually change the patch banks (in the same box)

IMHO it seems the iM1 VST in not really a suitable VST for BiaB unless we can manipulate the choices directly in the VST window from the Biab Mixer window, much like you can do with the same iM1 VST in Cubase...

Every blessing
Tim
===============
One man band with keys/guitar in iPad MIDI backing/looping with Korg tone modules (iM1 seems favourite).
Looking for a good MIDI looper to use with OnSong on the iPad
===============
Veteran
Veteran
I sort of lost the bubble on this one but (old guy disease = can't remember s&!*)

...did you manually type (or cut & paste) in all programs from all cards and make a .INS and or .PAT file? If so GREAT, AND you really need to send a COPY to PG Support so they can post it with all the other user made .pat files

If not where did you get a full .ins or pat file (at least for the programs if not the combis)?

Now back to your question:

IN MY OPINION only: No the KORG M1 along with a LOT of synths (hardware and software), and I OWN a lot of synths and ROMplers (for the purists out there) and early on I even wrote .INS, .INI. and .PAT files for my synths, are not exactly "simpatico" with BIAB.

When using BIAB with MIDI, this obviously doesn’t apply when using RT’s, IMHO it’s a WHOLE lot easier to use a fully GM compliant synth (Sound Canvas's, Ketron SD-2's, TTS-1, Forte, etc. or synths that have a dedicated GM/GS/XG MODE).

Before the pitch forks come out, yes you can, and I HAVE over the many years of using BIAB, used a lot of NON-GM equipment and non-GM patches from a lot of synths(HW and SW) inside BIAB but it can be a little more cumbersome in BIAB then inside a dedicate DAW. Besides I usually only use BIAB to SKETCH out a song, or as an easy way to get charts entered, not finalize the song’s “studio band” as it were, I do that in a dedicated DAW(s) but that’s just me.

Larry

Hi Larry,
I cobbled together the .ins file first as I've done it in the past to try to add features to existing .ins'. I collected the M1 card listing from a couple of sources, including that Japanese one you listed above and the other this guy:
http://bobbyblues.recup.ch/korg_m1/m1_soundbanks.html#Korg
With some whizzo manipulation using Excel and saving to a text file.... and a bit of manual stuff.... and several coffees.... then using the BiaB import function.
I'll email them to PG Support

Every blessing
Tim
===============
One man band with keys/guitar in iPad MIDI backing/looping with Korg tone modules (iM1 seems favourite).
Looking for a good MIDI looper to use with OnSong on the iPad
===============
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,745
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191