Print Thread
Go To
#452460 01/20/18 10:41 AM
Post your own Tips and Tricks here
edshaw Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
The forum members are usually so far ahead of me, it is rare that I have a chance to pass on anything new. But, did you know, ( I found this working on my "Tiny File" Project,) you can soften a track, bypassing EQ, by simply setting the export to a smaller sample rate? I stumbled on to this...who woulda' thought?

Last edited by edshaw; 01/20/18 10:43 AM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
edshaw #452502 01/20/18 02:45 PM
Veteran
Veteran
That's interesting, but I'm skeptical. Are we talking about BIAB? Could you give the steps you are using?

On the surface, this should not work as you describe. However, lowering the sample rate will lower the range of frequencies that can be reproduced (Nyquist Theorem), and a lot of high energy in the very high hearing range will be lost. Is that what you are experiencing as 'softer"? Like rolling off the very high treble? I could agree with that if you have the hearing of a young kid [or dog]; in other words, better than mine is now (and mine is still pretty good).

And how does this bypass any EQ you have in the signal path?

I don't mean to give you a hard time here. I'm willing to learn.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Matt Finley #452623 01/21/18 06:05 AM
edshaw Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hah! OK, Matt, I will confess to hearing a family of crickets more or less non stop. I wish they would get tired and go to sleep.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
I had a track which was my guitar played over a Band in a Box backing track, a song that I just could not get the "clang" out of. If it had just been the Band in Box tracks, pretty sure I could have gone back into the Box and EQ'd it. Same had it been in Reaper. But this was layed up in NCH Video Pad. Fairly new to Video Pad, I couldn't find an EQ panel among the audio effects.
It so happened I am at the same time working on a project that aims to reduce video file size to its smallest practical size for Facebook and some others. I was in the "export" function at the time. Without really intending to change the sound, I lowered the sample rate from something like 256 to 128, just to see. When I played it back, some of the rough edges of the guitar track were smoothed, as was the overall song.
I had never considered sample rate to be anything other than something we always wanted the most possible of.
Please bear in mind, some of us use Box as rehearsal and practice aids. In many cases, once the song has been learned, the Band in a Box has served its purpose, a mighty purpose, at that.

edshaw #452647 01/21/18 09:47 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Ok, I understand. Thanks for elaborating.

Were you making MP3s or WMAs? Huge difference. 128 sounds ok on WMA files but barely adequate on most MP3s.

Two things:

1) each online service sqashes the life out of your music in different ways; it’s hard to psych out how to beat it in advance

2) in general, you want to record, mix and master at high quality. Then only at the very end would you shrink the file by compression. Preserve the quality as long as possible.

Corollary of #2: best to use some EQ on the guitar rather than trying to go to a lower sample rate.

Have fun!

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
edshaw #452674 01/21/18 11:20 AM
edshaw Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks for taking the time, Matt.
I had an MP4 video on the timeline and was in "export." The soundtrack was a mixed down WAV. My objection was to a persistent clang in the guitar. Even if I had wanted to go that route, the original audio tracks were long gone.
Reaper, which has great EQ panel, claims to accomodate videos, though, have yet to find it. Still I didn't want to EQ the mix, just this one annoying feature that I could have lived with. Which brings us to exporting or rendering to an MP4 on Video Pad.

Exporting to MP4, they only give you AAC encoder and sample rate on the audio panel. I bumped it down to 128. That's when I received my pleasant surprise, when I heard it.

I should explain, You Tube contributed beyond all expectations to the world of content distribution.
Now, though, we are seeing more and more sites taking video, including Facebook. The host I use, In-Motion, recently added that feature for subscribers.
This is where that "file size project" comes into play.
HD videos of 6-8 Gb can be reduced to a matter of a few MB, for the internet. This is all reflected in the cost of streaming. Obviously, with YouTube, money is no object.

edshaw #452684 01/21/18 11:38 AM
Veteran
Veteran
That's becoming more clear now, thanks again.

Yes, when I've had videos made for the Internet, my video guy knows how large the file can be at each size point before they further ruin the sound by compressing. I suspect these file size points are a moving target.

As for YouTube, I consider much of what they do to be criminal pirating. But that's just me.

edshaw #452688 01/21/18 11:48 AM
Veteran
Veteran
When I render video for YouTube, I leave my clip on the highest quality audio/video settings when I upload. YouTube will set it to the highest quality their algorithm allows. I can usually upload 4K video without much audio/video quality loss.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
edshaw #452702 01/21/18 12:30 PM
edshaw Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Matt:
Once, You Tube was quite particular about submission specs. Over the years, though, I think that process has all been automated. Now to the point that it is not unusual for webmasters to put up video, even accept uploads from users. I have been away from FB for so long (It is a current course requirement, so I opened an account,) that I was surprised to see the amount of video activity.
The big hosts are notoriously tight lipped about operating costs. Still, we are told that You Tube, big as it is, still operates at a loss. Normal people can't do that. So, what is taken for granted by You Tube users is negotiable for mere mortals.

Sslechta: That's exactly right, when it comes to You Tube, whose achievements have been amazing.
I'd like to see one of those 4K videos. You are way ahead of me, on that note.

edshaw #452711 01/21/18 12:46 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Here's one: 2017-09-24 - Breezy Island Flight

You usually have to change to the higher resolution when the video starts.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
edshaw #452763 01/21/18 05:18 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Ok. Let me try to describe how it worked when I last put up a bunch of videos. If I uploaded the uncompressed audio, YouTube squashed the sound badly. But when I uploaded a slightly compressed audio, it was apparently under some arbitrary size limit and YouTube compressed it much less, with the result that it sounded better on YouTube that the original uncompressed one! My video guy knew several such size points, and the game was to make the file size as big as the nearest limit without going over. Make sense?

edshaw #452889 01/22/18 09:33 AM
edshaw Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I thought YouTube could handle pretty much anything thrown at it, at this point. Steve is uploading 4k video he shoots with his drone. 4k is a hot topic these days. The file sizes are massive. One limiting factor has been the storage cards, which have made great strides in speed and cost.

Yes, I think Matt's idea of uploading the best quality available will yield the best YT presentation. I hadn't known about an optimal window, though do not doubt it.

Last I heard, YT converts everything to Flash. As far as I know, the audio track code/decode on Flash is the same as it is on MP4; that is, AAC + MP3. The video track, I don't know. Most of us have experienced conversion from WAV to MP3 and know it seems to take no time or energy at all, very quick and easy.

For the purpose of my current interest, quality is not the issue, but rather quality/cost meaning, exporting to specifications that will be the cheapest possible acceptible quality.

One of the things that has helped me in the area of formats, size, and other specs is the lowly screen recorder. As you know, these things have exploded popularity, maybe for all the wrong reasons, but nonetheless, they can do a lot. I chose Flashback from the dozens out there. Those screen recordings are automatically in Flash (I think it is .flv)

Last edited by edshaw; 01/22/18 09:37 AM.

edshaw #452895 01/22/18 10:04 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Ed, keepvid.com kind of breaks down how YouTube stores the videos. From my discoveries I've seen that they store the video at the different quality resolutions and they derive an .mp3 from the audio track. One example when I upload a 4K video...... When it first uploads, it's only available as 240p. Then during the next hour, it derives the better quality versions up to the highest quality the original upload was.

See the screenshot. You can see these YouTube video breakdowns at keepvid.com.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Untitled.png (55.64 KB, 55 downloads)
KeepVid.com

Steve

edshaw #453264 01/23/18 04:11 PM
edshaw Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
The video hosting business is in a state of change. It was Vimeo and You Tube, both great companies. Now, though, a search or a look at the trade journals shows many new video hosting platforms.
Soundcloud dominates audio, I think. Good thing for us. Video has made itself complex, so we live with that. After a few years away from Facebook, I opened and account and have loaded a couple of videos. 5 Mb+- takes about 30 seconds
and a couple of minutes to process. Distribution on Facebook is unchallenged -- group blasting.

Last edited by edshaw; 01/23/18 04:14 PM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,499
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195