Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here's a new one. This is a song inspired by a musician I know and have played with. He loved playing and lived one heck of a life.... been on stage with some of the big names, and opened for so many others. Now, he finds himself without a permanent residence (homeless or incarcerated) and not many options at this point.

EDIT: This is version 2.0 what is different is that the EQ on the drums has been rolled off a bit to smooth the cymbals high end....and the overall drum track is about 1dB lower in the mix. Nothing major.

The song is called

Nowhere Left To Turn

I'm playing a very short section on guitar.

The band:

LA hard rock drums
Bass 995
Guitar 999 & 996
Acoustic 405
B3 686
Steel 2670
Piano 2026
Fiddle 1878

Mixed in Sonar

5 vocal tracks: Lead, 2 layers, 2 harmony

Enjoy.

The lyrics:

he wonders what went wrong
he blinked and it all was gone
living life and playing in a band
had a kid when he was 20
figured he be rich and one day
he could buy that big old mansion on a hill

there's a cold wind blowing on the highway tonight
no place warm to lay his head until the morning light
no rest for the weary that's what he's heard people say
one day he hopes to make it home, there's no where left to turn

there is no money in the bank
and just a dollar in his hand
chasing dreams that disappear just like the shifting sand
worn out coat against the cold rain
living in the past where he's been
standing right beside the fortune and the fame

he's just a free spirit living day to day
he wouldn't have it any other way

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/25/18 04:02 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice work Herb. Good tune!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,

I really love this. It may be one of my very favorites of yours.

The hook and the lyrics are great.

It reminds me of Marshall Tucker and Charlie Daniels and the "glory days" of country.

Great performances all around.

P.S. On the Road is awesome as well. Did you post that? I might have missed it, but it sounds super too.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Steve: Thank you, glad you liked it.

David: Thank you.... yes, On the Road was a few weeks back.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Herb

Nice big sound - excellent memorable chorus and a well written lyric.
Excellent work all round.

Peter

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hello Herb.

Well done and enjoyable like all your songs.
Sounds like a major production.

Cheers.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,

Good song, vocal and production. Excellent job!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb, Sad story but a great song! I've witnessed this same thing happen more than once to some very talented musicians who just couldn't deal with the trappings of success. The feel and flow of this one, chord structure/instrumentation are all so beautiful and appropriate! The Hard Rock LA drums used here are so versatile. They lend themselves well to more than a hard rock style as evidenced here! I think a lot of folks turn away from using these because of their title. Mistake! Great work!! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
What a cool lyric Herb. In my thoughts I always wondered what it would have been like to have music as primary source of income after high school. Lots of dreams of being a millionaire rock star. I have read so many stories of how hard life has been for those wanting to be a full time musician.

Your guitar work is always top shelf but I must say how much I enjoyed your vocal and how well it brought out the angst of the lyrics. This is one of my favorite songs of yours. A sad story and awesome delivery... Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Well done! As other have said, good lyrical story, not so happy story in practice.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A very catchy chorus, Herb. As David said, very Marshall-Tucker-Charlie-Daniels sounding.

"standing right beside the fortune and the fame" That was a nice line.

A good vocal. But it's kind of being stepped on by the ride (and crash) cymbal in the drum track. It (the ride) is really stepping on the piano, too - they seem to be fighting for the same sonic space. It's really loud - almost drowning out the snare. It dominates the mix. It is particular evident the few times is stops (for drums fills) - when it starts again, it pulls your ear away from the song itself.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
PeterF: I love a big sound. The E Street band is one of my favorite "big bands". Full and fat sounding. Thanks for listening.

RichMac: Thanks, I'm glad you liked this song.

RS Dean: Again, thanks for dropping in for a listen.

Torrey Bliss: I love using rock styles in so many ways for country songs. It does in fact, work exceptionally well. Regarding my friend..... yes, we played in a number of bands together through the years and had a ton of fun doing it. He was in a few bands that really had a shot at being something, and opening for the big Nashville stars, unfortunately, they were involved with illegal pharmaceuticals and that ended with several band members including my friend spending quite a bit of mandatory vacation time courtesy of the State of VA and NC corrections depts. Sad but that's how things turn out.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb, I can surely relate to the lyrics having seen this same thing happen to many fellow musicians I have known. A sad story indeed. Great idea for a song and executed brilliantly with the write and performance. You surely have a feel for this genre. I really enjoyed it. I agree with floyd that the cymbal was a bit hot. Nevertheless I really loved the song, Tom

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
A very catchy chorus, Herb. As David said, very Marshall-Tucker-Charlie-Daniels sounding.

"standing right beside the fortune and the fame" That was a nice line.

A good vocal. But it's kind of being stepped on by the ride (and crash) cymbal in the drum track. It (the ride) is really stepping on the piano, too - they seem to be fighting for the same sonic space. It's really loud - almost drowning out the snare. It dominates the mix. It is particular evident the few times is stops (for drums fills) - when it starts again, it pulls your ear away from the song itself.

I felt the same way about the mix, particularly during the verses. The song itself is really, really good!! I think you sang it well too but the drums seemed to piercing and too dominant. Some great lyrics and a super catchy melody. Chorus is great! Come around more often. We don't see you as much as I'd like to. Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,
I liked the big stirring country band sound and the contrast with the sad picture your lyrics paint - very well sung too, especially on the bridge.
Fine song!

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Scott C: I made my living at music for a number of years and several of those were in bands with the fellow this song is about. It was fun but it was also a hard life. Sometimes we were wondering how we were going to eat until the next gig. I had learned a trade and had that to fall back on. Others didn't plan so well for the future. Most left the music scene for other more lucrative endeavors. Some continued to play music on the side for fun....and some didn't have anything else that they knew how to do to make money. Time slips by...and well.... here we are.

dcuny: thanks for listening.... yes, a sad story

Floyd: glad you like the chorus. so do I. as far as the production and the drums, yeah, I agree, the drums are a bit hot.... maybe I'll remix it when I have the time.... but here's an interesting side note. The guy this is about is a drummer. We were playing a gig in a little honky tonk hole in the wall juke joint one night. We had bought some new PA gear and since the amount was over a certain amount, the store gave us a pretty nice sound pressure meter. We used it quite a bit. Some clubs actually required the SPL at the bar to be a certain level. Other clubs had city cops stand outside with SPL meters and the clubs were fined if the SPL at 5' from the door exceeded 95dB. So we were used to having it on stage and running. In this club, there were no level requirements. So during the song.... a country song... the on stage SPL was 118dB.... yup... we were loud. In that song, there was a drum solo. During the solo, the SPL actually rose to 121dB.... He was a loud drummer. I'm paying for those nights of musical indiscretion now with a constant ringing in the ears from the damage we did.

Tommyad: kind words indeed. Thank you. I'm glad you liked this song. ditto on the drums... yep, might do a remix on this later.

Greg Johnson: I'm glad you like this tune and agree with FJ. I'm planning to write and record more fun tunes and post them here. I've been tied up with other things going on, but finally seeing my way through the swamp to where I have the time to work on some music again.

Robertkc: Thanks for noticing the big country band..... Yep, I love that sound. I appreciate you taking the time to listen

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I get a little Bruce Hornsby thing, like Hornsby meets Chris Isaak with some Neil Young mixed in. And there are touches of Levon Helm (RIP - I miss you!) in there.

If the protagonist was female I would interpret this as a woman who turns to prostitution because that is all she can do to make money to feed kids. That kind of desperation is what I take from it through all the metaphor.

Last edited by eddie1261; 01/24/18 07:31 AM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
I get a little Bruce Hornsby thing, like Hornsby meets Chris Isaak with some Neil Young mixed in. And there are touches of Levon Helm (RIP - I miss you!) in there.

If the protagonist was female I would interpret this as a woman who turns to prostitution because that is all she can do to make money to feed kids. That kind of desperation is what I take from it through all the metaphor.

Interesting way to look at it... and probably closer to the truth than one might imagine. He was quite the promiscuous fellow. But man it sure seemed like a good idea at the time..... right? Oh the stories I could tell on that one topic.

A life that was lived with little thought to next week and what's to come with the greater focus on tonight and let's party. So many choices that could have been made with more thought as to the results. Several years spent in prison for stupid things. Several dozen DUI/no license driving offenses, ( yeah, you read that right...several dozen) just hoping for that big payday of getting in a band that made a few chart topping hits, that never came. But several bands were so close he could almost taste it.... opening for the big names in country music.....

A life lived in quiet desperation. Alienating many of his friends and all of his family along the way, parents are gone, siblings and daughter aren't talking to him or stepping up to help... no one is opening any doors to let him sleep in a warm bed or even on the couch......And now, looking at 65, there's nowhere left to turn.

The song kind of wrote itself.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice one !

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: furry
Nice one !

Thanks Furry

www.herbhartley.com

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195