You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#453439 - 01/24/18 02:59 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Style Picker
jeb Offline

When I select the "Include Similar" in the style picker regardless of which category I have selected to search for, Band In The Box includes all styles. Example, if I have no style selected, Band In The Box shows 5847 styles. If I select, say for example, the Celtic category, I get 180 items. However if I select "Include Similar" Band In The Box shows all 5847 styles as being similar to Celtic. Are all of the other styles actually similar to Celtic? This happens regardless of which category I have selected. This seem to be a programming error. What's the point of having the "Include Similar" box if all styles are always shown to be similar?

#453446 - 01/24/18 03:39 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Style Picker [Re: jeb]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Jeb,

When I clicked on the "Help" button on the lower right of Stylepicker and used CTRL+F to search for 'Similar', I found the information shown by the below image.

Then when I used the example of "Amazing Grace" (American Trad, folk 3/4) as shown in the Help example, and tried without and then with "Include Similar", I had 8 styles listed first and then 425 styles listed second.

Because of this, I believe that "Include Similar" relates to the finding of suitable styles from requested titles and not the Categories. (Unless I'm missing something, because the categories are already defined, I'm not sure that "Include similar" could realistically add any extra information.)

Regards,
Noel

Attachments
Similar Styles.JPG

#456661 - 02/09/18 02:58 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Style Picker [Re: Noel96]
jeb Offline

Thanks for the info. However if you choose a song like "The Girl From Ipanema" 337 styles show up, but when I click include similar I get 4450 styles, which seems to me be be a little too inclusive of 'similar' styles. I don't know but to me it seems style picker is flawed. Everything or almost everything can't be similar to almost any song.

#456688 - 02/09/18 05:28 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Style Picker [Re: jeb]
PeterGannon Offline
PG Music Staff

))) if you choose a song like "The Girl From Ipanema" 337 styles show up, but when I click include similar I get 4450 styles, which seems to me be be a little too inclusive of 'similar' styles.

Show similar will show all styles, sorted by best to worst. If you don’t want that behaviour then don’t select shows similar styles. However maybe you’re interested in style for girl from Ipanema but you want to swing feel and a waltz. If you have shows similar style selected then you will see some styles for that if you don’t have it selected no styles will show up.

#456762 - 02/10/18 07:24 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Style Picker [Re: PeterGannon]
Loc: ny
axelrod Offline
Journeyman

Loc: ny
Even 337 seems like a lot, Peter. Reminds me of when Mel Brooks would do "Man of a Thousand Faces" for a Catskill crowd. Invariably, someone would yell out "I only counted 618 faces!"

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® - Freezing Tracks

Like what you hear in Band-in-a-Box®? Make sure to Freeze the track(s) or song! Once frozen, it won't be regeneraged or change when you play it again - and your choice isn't final, since you can unfreeze them just as easily:
-press the blue snowflake button within the track name of the mixer window
-press the blue snowflake button within the expanded toolbar of the program (Ctrl + T will swap between the two toolbar views), and select the track(s)

Note: If you want to force Band-in-a-Box® to generate tracks without adjusting the Freeze settings, hold down the Shift key as you press the [Generate and Play] button (the fly-by hint will remind you of that) or choose the menu command Play | Play Special | Generate (even if tracks are frozen).

To learn more about freezing your Band-in-a-Box® tracks or songs, visit Chapter 5: Playing Songs | Freezing tracks of our Online Manual.

With Band-in-a-Box®, Making Music Has Never Been Easier!

We came across this recent post, Music Making Software: Record, Edit, Create and Share Your Own Songs, which includes Band-in-a-Box® in their list of software you'll need to record and edit your own songs!

One of our favourite products, and one that doesn’t seem to come up much in discussions about music making software, is Band-In-A-Box from PG Music. This is probably the longest established and certainly one of the most popular music making software packages of all time. Already packed with features, the latest version has added functions that in our opinion make this an essential buy for musicians in any genre, for keyboard players, guitarists, singers, in fact any musician looking for an outstanding tool to make the most of their creative ideas.
-www.musicrepo.com

The Download Manager - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

The "Download Manager" within Band-in-a-Box® for Windows is a great tool to confirm or help with the installation of your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows program!

What does the Download Manager do?
Automatically installs Band-in-a-Box® content (RealTracks, RealDrums, etc.) in the background, so you don't have to sit there the whole time! It can also confirm that you've completely installed your purchase.

How do you use it?
Within the program, go to Help | Utilities | Run Download/Install Manager now. Using your activation code, the program will analyze the installation folders, and list anything that still needs to be downloaded and installed.

Learn more about the Download Manager with this tutorial, or check out the topic within the Online Manual.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows Online Manual - Chord List & Shortcuts

Visit the Chord List of our Online Manual, and you'll see all the chords that can be used within the program! The list includes a few Tricky Chords and Shortcut Chords that you may find useful too!

Tricky Chords:
C5b This is "C flat 5." It is spelled this way to avoid confusion.
C2, C5, C4, C69, C7alt, Cm7#5
You can type C-7 for Cm7 (i.e. use the minus sign) or C7-9 for C7b9.

Shortcut Chords
If you enter a lot of songs, you will appreciate these shortcut keys.
J = Maj7
H = m7b5 (H stands for Half diminished)
D = dim
S = 7sus

There's even information on how to add your own chord shortcuts - check it out!

Video Request Answered - Creating Intros, Bridges, and Endings in Band-in-a-Box®

Check out the newest support video created by Kent that explains how to create intros, bridges, and endings in Band-in-a-Box®! Click here to view...

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker Feature

If you have a folder of songs that you'd always like easy access to within Band-in-a-Box, make sure you familiarize yourself with The SongPicker feature, which access the folder that you choose and lock it to!

Access the SongPicker by clicking on the [Song] button next to the title of the song within the main screen of Band-in-a-Box. The first time the SongPicker is opened, you can choose the folder to use to create the list by selecting [Change] and navigating to your preferred directory. Once chosen, select [OK - Make Song List], and Band-in-a-Box does the rest... the next time you click on [Song], you'll be taken directly to your preferred folder!

Learn even more about this feature within Chapter 5 of our Online Manual, here.

Just Launched - The FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

If you have a question (or questions!) about Band-in-a-Box®, PowerTracks, RealBand®, or any other PG Music Inc. product - whether it be technical support or pre-sales, there's now an easy one-stop spot to find the answer - our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

Don't want to read through the 600+ posts? Use the Search FAQ option, and you can choose your key search terms to locate the topic and answer you're looking for!

Common pre-sales questions about our products, ordering, and delivery:
Pre-Sales

Technical support & troubleshooting by product:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Band-in-a-Box® for Mac
RealBand® for Windows
PowerTracks Pro® Audio for Windows
Other Products

There's even a Request New FAQs forum, if you didn't see your question answered anywhere!

Forum Stats
28227 Members
58 Forums
54207 Topics
453074 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Daveheller, porkchop sound, Richard68, JeffBro, sophie24

28227 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 167
Al-David 155