Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#453183 01/23/18 09:11 AM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I don't spend nearly as much time on this forum as I would like, but when I have a problem there is always someone here to help.

Well, today, I'd like to give back. Here is a HOW TO article I wrote up to make a special pick holder for people like me who have trouble holding on to a pick. And so, it's named...

Pick Holder for People
Who Have Trouble Holding On To Picks

Guitarists with hand injuries or arthritis often find it next to impossible to hold on to a guitar pick. Commercial options can cost from $10 to $25 for a contraption which is either poorly made or cumbersome. This invention of mine will cost very little, but offer a level of performance that the commercial ones can only hope for. Here is a HOW TO tutorial to make your own!

STEP 1: Everything you need: some picks of your choice, a few hook and loop cable ties (Amazon, Home Depot, etc), scissors and a hot glue gun.

[img:center]https://imgur.com/KQs2mtC[/img]

STEP 2: Cut the opening ends off so that you have
just a small rectangular pad left.

[img:center]https://imgur.com/LOX80vn[/img]

STEP 3: The angle that the pick is glued on depends upon how you hold your index finger when you play. To find the right angle, you may need to hold the pick and cable tie together and see what angle is best for you. For my use, I tried several angles before finding that if I made them straight like an arrow, they were perfect for me.

[img:center]https://imgur.com/S3pqRrP[/img]

STEP 4: Put a good sized gob of glue on the HOOK side of the cable tie (you want the softer LOOP side against your skin). Place your pick down firmly on to the hot glue until it's well bonded. Remember to tilt the pick angle according to your needs.

[img:center]https://imgur.com/9Y1JgsW[/img]

STEP 5: What the glued side of the pick holder should look like. This is the side that goes against your index finger. Very soft. No scratchies! And the added bit of glue gives more to hold on to.

[img:center]https://imgur.com/2Druk2R[/img]

STEP 6: What the pick holders look like from the top side, where your thumb goes.

[img:center]https://imgur.com/C8UYa1S[/img]

STEP 7: The pick holder in use. You can move it up or down on your index finger to get the right amount of "bite" on the pick. I couldn't take the pictures very well with my left hand, but the cable tie goes over the top of your finger between the knuckles, then around and down through the opening toward you, and then the "tail" of the cable tie gets pulled through and wrapped around the top. I've found that a loose noose is better! lol

[img:center]https://imgur.com/eoaSlsA[/img]

STEP 8: You can let go any time and the pick will still be there waiting for you! Very secure and easy to use. And it cost less for me to buy 120 cable ties and the picks than it would cost for one of those commercially made products which easily break. If these break, it will only be the glue letting go, or possibly a broken pick. So... just get out the glue gun and make another one!

[img:center]https://imgur.com/47fBb9G[/img]

Hope those of you that need this (like I do) can use it. Any questions, just ask! g33zrj1m

(The Pictures didn't come out on the post... I can email a .pdf of the whole article to anyone that's interested.)

Last edited by James Francisco; 01/23/18 07:04 PM.

BIAB 2020 with Reaper 6, on an AMD 8 core CPU, 16GB RAM, 240 GB SSD and 1 TB HD. Retired and trying to make some serious music, before Arthur Ritis spoils the fun.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You can also upload the pictures (up to 5 at a time), which display below the text of your post. You have to be in "full reply" mode to access the file manager. Each picture can also have a caption.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks, I didn't know how to do that and couldn't find it in the FAQ's. But... I still couldn't figure it out. Obviously I need to spend more time on the forum to learn this stuff!

If anyone wants me to send them the pdf, just email me at g33zrj1m at gmx dot com.

Thanks!

Jim

Last edited by James Francisco; 01/23/18 11:13 AM.

BIAB 2020 with Reaper 6, on an AMD 8 core CPU, 16GB RAM, 240 GB SSD and 1 TB HD. Retired and trying to make some serious music, before Arthur Ritis spoils the fun.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
you can also put a drop of superglue on the pick exactly where you would normally grasp and hold the pick to play.... pick it up carefully by the tip, with your other hand being careful not to touch the drops of superglue.....

Now.... grasp it in the exact position you intend to hold it with your playing hand, being sure that the drops of superglue are where your fingers are holding the pick....press your fingers firmly into the drops of superglue.

Hold it for 10 seconds as the superglue sets....

waaa laaaa... you ain't dropping that puppy tonight..... or tomorrow night either.

You can thank me later

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/24/18 10:25 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Well, you can use superglue if you want.

Jim

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: James Francisco
Well, you can use superglue if you want.

Jim

it's a joke.

One of those "hold my beer and watch this" kind of things

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/25/18 04:40 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Jim,

Great idea, and as you said.. very inexpensive to implement!

Several years ago I had a nerve compression which made it impossible for me to hold a pick securely. At that time I looked all over the place for an un-droppable pick... at the time I couldn't find any.

So, I broke out the 3d modelling program and designed several prototypes that I thought people could print at home on their 3D printer ( why bother investing in tooling to mass produce anything these days when you can just make a model that people can print at home?)

But I found that the rigidity of a solid plastic assembly was counter-intuitive to my style of guitar playing. What worked great for playing aggressive solos was too rigid for strumming.

The flexibility of your design solves most of the problems I experienced with my designs. Good job! And thanks for sharing!

FWIW, here is the best commercial solution I found. It is flexible, easy to hold and impossible to drop. Works for solos as well as for strumming:

ZERO GRAVITY GUITAR PICK

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Hey James Francisco,

That is brilliant! Thanks for the tip and the nice step-by-step!

-John

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat, it occurs to me after seeing that commercial solution that you could just use the pop top of a beer can. You could have a near endless supply, and after losing two or three on a gig, it wouldn't much matter anyway.

James, very nice. Thanks for sharing.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Pat, it occurs to me after seeing that commercial solution that you could just use the pop top of a beer can. You could have a near endless supply, and after losing two or three on a gig, it wouldn't much matter anyway.

;-) I bet that has been tried before. Guitar players will use just about anything for a pick. Coins, sea shells, bread bag clips, cut up credit cards, 2 liter plastic soda bottles trimmed to shape with scissors... and Pop tops.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I like the Herco picks, a cross between a plectrum and a thumbpick, and they come in three thicknesses.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HE112P

Chris
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert

Thanks James for posting your pick idea.
Will try it.
I usually use my fingers having learned swing bass years ago.
Guitar picks seem too small to me and too rigid
so I cut up a 2 liter ice cream container
which is nice and flexible into a shark fin shape about 3 inches long
and 1 to 1 and a half inches across the top.
Will try the zero gravity pick suggested by Pat also.

Cheers.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sinbad
I like the Herco picks, a cross between a plectrum and a thumbpick, and they come in three thicknesses.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HE112P

I use these too. I prefer them to traditional thumb picks because they aren't so rigid that they hurt my thumb (To me, traditional thumb picks are like having my thumb in a vise)

The feel of using one is also closer to that of using a regular guitar pick. Considering how much of musical performance depends on muscle memory, I don't like any gizmos that require me to change the way I play.

To me, that's the functional equivalent of practicing baseball with a whiffle ball bat, then trying to play live with a real bat. Timing will be different

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
When it came to picks....

I used the Fender Medium white picks. I would have half a dozen or so in a holder on my mic stand.

Drop one? no problem, grab another new one. Since it was white, it was easy to see on the dark floor of the clubs, and when it was notched from too many string slides... throw it to the audience.

I used to buy them by the gross.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I’ve used the the Herco picks for years but I have an additional little trick that I use with both them and my finger picks: Poster Putty! Put some on your nail and push the pick down on it and that pick isn’t going anywhere.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: KeithS
I’ve used the the Herco picks for years but I have an additional little trick that I use with both them and my finger picks: Poster Putty! Put some on your nail and push the pick down on it and that pick isn’t going anywhere.

great idea about the poster putty, Keith!

A similar trick used by some people: put a strip of black cloth-type electrical tape on the finger tips before putting on the finger picks. It's tacky on both sides, and finger picks won't slide off. The tape also creates a cushion between the sharp metal edges and soft fingers

Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
You guys have some interesting ideas to combat this pick-dropping issue! lol

I've tried a lot of things including gorilla snot and even medical tape. The bottom line is whatever works for you!

I don't claim my idea is the end all of designs for a non-droppable pick. Just that it's cheap and effective, at least for me. Glad it may help some of you. I do agree that playing fingerstyle is a good alternative, but unfortunately the same thing that makes it hard to hold the dang pick also makes it difficult to move your fingers. Old age sure is fun, huh?

Anyway, thanks for the comments, everyone. Hope you have a great time pickin and grinnin, no matter what you use for a pick!

Jim

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
James,

I guess we kinda hijacked your thread... but I want to conclude my participation in the topic by saying once again that I think your idea is excellent and I appreciate the fact that you took time to present it so clearly to the forum!

And just so you know, I will be trying your idea.

As an aside: you can see from the ideas in this thread that this is a fairly common problem for which there aren't a lot of commercial solutions available. You might want to consider selling your picks on ebay

Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks, Pat, for the words of encouragement, and the idea of selling them on eBay!

My daughters (all grown) thought I ought to patent the idea. But it takes a ton of money to bring a product to market. When you see how easy it is to make these, I just don't see too many people willing to spend their money on something they can make themselves in less than 10 minutes.

I have made about 15 or 20 of these with all types of picks from heavy plastic Vicks, Fender and Gibson to light nylon Dunlap. My favorite thing about 'em, though, is that I can hold a pick loosely or tighter depending upon what I'm trying to play. Couldn't do that before without dropping the pick every time.

g33zrj1m

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I don't want to sound like a smart alec or teach folk to suck eggs. Many years ago I would often flick plectrums and often by the end of a night have sore forearm from gripping nice and tight. I started to play golf and would flick golf clubs and was told by the pro that I was gripping the club way too tight and to loosen the grip so it felt as if the club would slide out of my hands. I applied this to guitar I and found if I held the plectrum so loosely it almost dropped from my fingers I rarely flicked the plectrum from my hands. Having a loose grip also stopped my arm tiring and allowed me to be faster. I have had this discussion with a number of guitarists and most find the same result.

Having said that I still keep spares handy (usually on top of my amp these days beside the laptop) just in case.

Just a thought

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,554
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199