Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
[Link no longer valid]

Belladonna posted the words to a song she wrote and invited anyone to write music for it. I heard it as a jazz thing and I'll add that it was a lot of fun as I'm always looking for an excuse to Croon! The vocal was so dynamic It gave me fits. I wound up downloading and using "Waves Vocal Rider" plugin.

RealTracks in style: 2126:Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Half,Half Sw 110
RealTracks in song: ~771:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Jazz Sw 110
RealTracks in style: ~938:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm JazzFreddie Sw 110
RealTracks in style: 2593:Horn Section, Background CroonerBigBand9-Part Sw 110
RealDrums in Song: JazzBrushesSticks: a: Brushes b: Snare, Ride

Bottom Dollar Blues words by Donna Evans, music by Lawrence Olivier

Verse 1
She’s a candy red hot
Fire whiskey, tequila shots
She’s waitin’ for me at the bar
Spends my money like a wild fire
Think I’m scoring but I lose
Got the bottom dollar blues

Verse 2
Hoping she’s my Lucky Star
She plays me like a lotto jar
We cruise and schmooze around
My ticker tape’s runnin’ down
Then some final rounds of pool
Goes my bottom dollar blues

Bridge
Sunday church I’m confessin’
Can’t seem to learn my lesson
Party girls and booze
Give me the bottom dollar blues

Verse 3
She always revs my engine
Sparing any intervention
I’m addicted to the night life
We live the weekends right
For her I’ll play the fool
With the bottom dollar blues

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 08/24/20 10:37 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Lawrence

That's a hell of a big amazing vocal! Wonderful stuff.
Excellent song, nice use of the band and a good set of lyrics.
Really nice all round.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lawrence & Belladonna

This is simply outstanding.

You've got those horns piping hot. You got the vocals sitting there just great.

This cooks, from start to finish.

Top effort, team!

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Lawrence and Donna
Great job in this. Wonderful lyrics and a wonderful interpretation. More collabs please!

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Donna & Lawrence - a nice combination of lyric & music...

Lawrence, your vocal on this is powerful and free. There is "fun" in the sing - a real delight in a vocal.

The horns sound great! They fit so well and really carry the underlying track.

Especially like the way you handled the bridge.

A truly excellent listen.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice collaboration!

Fun lyrics and production, enjoyed the listen.

Re: the vocal rider plugin, great tool! I use it all the time here too.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great collab, Lawrence, I always know it's going to be a great vocal and it is, but I thought the real star of this production was the arrangement. Especially the bridge and outro. Inspired chord choices. All of it was unexpected and a rewarding listen, Tom Also that vocal rider is one of my go to plug-ins.

Last edited by tommyad; 01/28/18 03:05 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Awesome vocal Lawrence. Loved what you did with these awesome lyrics. Super tune to listen to.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That was great Lawrence...the crooner side of gruverider. Who would've thought? We've used the bass rider but have never thought about the vocal rider...interesting.

This was the first type of music Bud ever heard -- from my parents in the 50's -- Janice was yet to be born smile but we both love the genre and sometimes mix in Frank, Tony and others along with our love of Americana.

We've always felt that a really great singer can handle about any genre and, man, does this ever support that notion.

Your arrangement, chord choice, RT and vocal are over the top good.

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!

Wow!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Really good job. Smooth vocals. Now where did I put that Zoot Suit?

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Lawrence

That's a hell of a big amazing vocal! Wonderful stuff.
Excellent song, nice use of the band and a good set of lyrics.
Really nice all round.

Peter
Thanks Peter. Glad you enjoyed it.

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Lawrence & Belladonna

This is simply outstanding.

You've got those horns piping hot. You got the vocals sitting there just great.

This cooks, from start to finish.

Top effort, team!
Thank you for listening and commenting. It was fun.

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Hi Lawrence and Donna
Great job in this. Wonderful lyrics and a wonderful interpretation. More collabs please!
Hi Joanne! So far this is the year of the collabs. More indeed!

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Wow!!!! Wonderful take on my song lyrics. I love it. I would have never thought to do it that way. It's really great seeing others creativity. Loved your vocals. My husband's favorite music is the big band sound as he used to play alto sax. He thought it was really COOL!!! Thank you so much and really appreciate how you made the lyrics come to life in a big way.

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Donna & Lawrence - a nice combination of lyric & music...

Lawrence, your vocal on this is powerful and free. There is "fun" in the sing - a real delight in a vocal.

The horns sound great! They fit so well and really carry the underlying track.

Especially like the way you handled the bridge.

A truly excellent listen.

fj
Hello Floyd. I did five takes of the vocal and comped the final from three of them. It was a work of joy. The chord changes were partly inspired from the "generate intro" function. And I massaged it from there. Especially For jazz, after you've typed in your arrangement that function is a wonderful idea expander.

Last edited by gruverider; 01/28/18 06:58 AM.
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice collaboration!

Fun lyrics and production, enjoyed the listen.

Re: the vocal rider plugin, great tool! I use it all the time here too.
Dave, I've never used the vocal rider before this song. And at first I overused it, I set the sensitivity to high. But after I dialed it back and got comfortable with it I wound up using it on the horns and the piano, and bought the Bass Rider and put it on the bass and drums (just a touch). To my ear it adds a bit of focus. Thanks!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Lawrence, loved the style of the song and your voice as well. Thanks for mentioning the vocal rider! I spend so much time on setting levels for vocals. This sounds like the perfect solution!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lawrence,

This is really outstanding - a great interpretation of Belladonna's lyrics. I love the vocal styling and big band sound.

You should sing more in this style - you really have a feel for it...

Production and mix is excellent as well.

Bob

User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
Dear "gruverider"...

Man, let me tell you something, and I mean right now. I compose music mostly in the jazz genre, and there is no way in the world I would EVER, ever have imagined Ms. Belladonna's lyrics for "Bottom Dollar Blues" being set in a big band arrangement. This has got to be one of the most original takes on a set of lyrics that I've ever heard. Step up, step up to the podium and accept your award, "gruverider"!!!

Your music combined with Ms. Belladonna's vividly descriptive lyrics makes the song sound as though it was composed during the 30's at the height of the Depression, when damn near every American was suffering from the real "Bottom Dollar Blues" and attempting to lift their spirits a little by listening and dancing to upbeat numbers such as "We're In The Money". It would have been a sure hit because your danceable, cheek-to-cheek, smooth-as-silk arrangement would have enabled folks to put just enough distance between themselves and the hard reality of their Depression-era woes so that they could look down at them -- if only for no longer than the time it took to dance to it -- rather than look forward to more suffering, which was certain.

I tip my hat to your originality, "gruverider". Bravo -- and would you ask the waiter to bring us more champagne with that order of caviar, please laugh ???

LOREN

Last edited by bluage; 01/28/18 11:30 AM.

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Amen Bluage. I second the post.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,494
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195