Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#454406 - 01/29/18 09:10 AM [User Showcase] "Bottom Dollar Blues" with lyrics by "Belladonna"
Loc: Washington State
bluage Online   content
Journeyman

Any of you who have given your undivided attention to Ms. Belladonna's posts to the User's Forum should already know that she writes lyrics you can see, taste, feel, hear, and smell. She conjures up a sense a place, of time, and reveals character with an economy of poetic expression that I personally find stunning.

The lyrics she dreamed up for "Bottom Dollar Blues" were so electrifying to me that the music came to me almost immediately upon reading them. This is my second collaboration with a User's Forum member, and it was absolutely, positively, e-x-h-i-l-a-r-a-t-i-n-g smile.

Ms. Belladonna, you are an artist. Thank you for allowing me to keep the ad-libs!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1321235&songID=13686052

Style is _BCJO110.STY (Boom Chick Joe Train Guitars 110)
Key = Ab, Tempo @ 120, Meter = 4/4
8 bar intro.

RealTracks in style: 2421:Bass, Acoustic, RockabillySlapBoomChicka Ev16 100 (Dave Roe)
RealTracks in style: 2514:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking BoomChickJoe Ev16 110 (Joe Robinson)
RealTracks in style: 2513:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking BoomChickHighJoe Ev16 110 (Joe Robinson)
RealTracks in song: 433:Banjo, Bluegrass Ev 130 ( Scott Vestal, Soloist)
RealTracks in song: 601, Fiddle, Soloist, Train, Country, Ev 130 (Wanda Vicks, Soloist)
RealDrums in style: Country Train: a: Brushes Soft b: Brushes Hard (Shawn Soucy)

Thank you for listening, folks!

LOREN

Verse 1
She’s a candy, red hot
Fire whiskey, tequila shots
She’s waitin’ for me at the bar
Spends my money like a wild fire
Think I’m scorin’ but I lose
Got the bottom-dollar blues

Verse 2
Hopin’ she’s my Lucky Star
She plays me like a lotto jar
We cruise and smooze around
My ticker tape’s a-runnin’ down
Then, some final rounds of pool
Goes my bottom-dollar blues

(16-bar instrumental fiddle and banjo solos)

Refrain
Sunday church I’m confessin’
Can’t seem to learn my lesson
Party girls and booze
Give me the bottom-dollar blues

Verse 3
She always revs my engine
Sparing an intervention
I’m addicted to the night life
We live the weekends right
For her I’ll be the fool
With the bottom-dollar blues…

“Ain’t got no shoes…‘cause I got those bottom-dollar blues..”

“No gas in the tank…’cause I ain’t got no bank..”

“Folks lookin’ at me strange…’cause I’m begging for their change…”

“Think I better make like Dolly, and git t’ Parton from this hear woman, know whut a’ mean?”

#454417 - 01/29/18 09:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottom Dollar Blues" with lyrics by "Belladonna" [Re: bluage]
Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
sslechta Offline
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
Hey Loren, nice version of the song on Donna's lyrics. Really loved the brush percussion. Your vocal blended with the song greatly. Keep 'em coming!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2018, Pro Tools 2018, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#454441 - 01/29/18 12:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottom Dollar Blues" with lyrics by "Belladonna" [Re: bluage]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Loren,
I like the way your vocal gives the train sound a jazzy feel... and the ad-libs at the end are nicely done.
Enjoyed!

Robert

#454444 - 01/29/18 12:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottom Dollar Blues" with lyrics by "Belladonna" [Re: bluage]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Love this version. Really dig the acoustic jazz feel of this.

Nice!

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#454448 - 01/29/18 12:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottom Dollar Blues" with lyrics by "Belladonna" [Re: bluage]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
LOREN,

Really nice job on that.

A very engaging vocal - a lot of feeling.

Nice musical bed for this. All well mixed. I liked how you brought the fiddle and banjo in the raise the heat a bit.

(I'm hearing the vocal panned to the left. Is that intentional?)

Well done. Enjoyed.

fj

#454466 - 01/29/18 01:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottom Dollar Blues" with lyrics by "Belladonna" [Re: bluage]
Loc: Virginia
Belladonna Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Virginia
Loren what a great take on the song. Really brought my lyrics to life. Music and vocal style adds so much to the story of lyrics. Thank you so much for putting your personal touch on these lyrics. I have been pleased and impressed by all the talent on this site.

#454477 - 01/29/18 02:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottom Dollar Blues" with lyrics by "Belladonna" [Re: bluage]
Loc: New Zealand
RichMac Online   content
Expert

Loc: New Zealand
Very enjoyable Loren.

Had the feel to me of something I might hear in a speakeasy in the 1920's.
You make the backing sound more jazzy. Good one.

Cheers.

#454504 - 01/29/18 04:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottom Dollar Blues" with lyrics by "Belladonna" [Re: bluage]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Loren,

This is excellent! You've got a great voice - love what you did with Donna's lyrics. I really enjoyed this.

Bob

#454535 - 01/29/18 06:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottom Dollar Blues" with lyrics by "Belladonna" [Re: bluage]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Super vocal and backtrack Loren. Excellent version of Donna's excellent lyrics..

#454576 - 01/30/18 12:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottom Dollar Blues" with lyrics by "Belladonna" [Re: sslechta]
bluage Online   content
Journeyman

Hello, Mr. Sslechta...

Yeah, that brush percussion really kept that country train rhythm chugging on down the track, didn't it smile ?

Thank you for listening, and thank you for your comments.

Sincerely,

LOREN

#454577 - 01/30/18 12:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottom Dollar Blues" with lyrics by "Belladonna" [Re: Robertkc]
bluage Online   content
Journeyman

Dear "robertkc"...

Well, you can take the boy out of jazz, but you can't take the jazz out of the boy, eh cool ???

I wasn't trying to do that intentionally, but I'm pleased that it pleased you.

Truly,

LOREN

Edited by bluage (01/30/18 12:34 AM)

#454578 - 01/30/18 12:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottom Dollar Blues" with lyrics by "Belladonna" [Re: David Snyder]
bluage Online   content
Journeyman

Mr, Snyder...

You're the second person who felt the song has a "jazz" feel to it frown. But...but I was trying to sing a country song (sniff, blubber, wail) !!!

But then, come to think of it, those "country train" RealTracks and Real Drums could be said truly to raise some jazz dust, huh?

Thank you, Mr. Snyder!

LOREN

#454579 - 01/30/18 12:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottom Dollar Blues" with lyrics by "Belladonna" [Re: floyd jane]
bluage Online   content
Journeyman

Mr. Jane...

I'm particularly grateful for your comment about the "mix" because whatever I did to earn your approval I learned entirely from User's Forum members such as yourself.

The fiddle and banjo solos did "raise the heat a bit", didn't they? Had me clapping my hands to all that joyful noise. Should have recorded it.

That left-panned vocal wasn't intentional. In the recording audio track I selected "stereo" output, but the sound came out of the left speaker. Was going to correct it, hopefully, by playing around with the "audio in" options, and then re-record the vocal, but the first take exhausted me because I am not used to singing notes that high and --truth be told -- I'm as lazy as all get-out laugh !!!

Thanks for your close listening, Mr. Jane. I appreciate it!

Sincerely,

LOREN

#454580 - 01/30/18 01:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottom Dollar Blues" with lyrics by "Belladonna" [Re: Belladonna]
bluage Online   content
Journeyman

My dear Ms. Belladonna...

Well, thank YOU for allowing me to live in the world -- if only for three minutes and twenty seconds -- that your lively, finely realized lyrics for "Bottom Dollar Blues" created. Because of them, I discovered that I have another musical soul inside of me.

Most sincerely and respectfully,

LOREN

Edited by bluage (01/30/18 01:09 AM)

#454581 - 01/30/18 01:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottom Dollar Blues" with lyrics by "Belladonna" [Re: RichMac]
bluage Online   content
Journeyman

Hi, there, "RichMac"...

And yet another listener who likened what they heard to jazz!

Glad it sounded that way to you, "RichMac"!

I'm grateful to you for listening to it.

LOREN

#454583 - 01/30/18 01:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottom Dollar Blues" with lyrics by "Belladonna" [Re: rsdean]
bluage Online   content
Journeyman

Mr. "rsdean"...

Believe me when I tell you that Ms. Belladonna's lyrics inspired me to sing. They tell a story...that had to be told!

Thank you, "rsdean"!

LOREN

#454584 - 01/30/18 01:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottom Dollar Blues" with lyrics by "Belladonna" [Re: Scott C]
bluage Online   content
Journeyman

Dear "Scott C"...

Interpreting Ms. Belladonna's lyrics was a pleasure and a treasure without measure. What you heard out of me was what she inspired in me.

Thanks a whole lot, "Scott C"!

LOREN

Edited by bluage (01/30/18 01:32 AM)

#454630 - 01/30/18 07:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottom Dollar Blues" with lyrics by "Belladonna" [Re: bluage]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Wow - I thoroughly enjoyed this! I love how you kept it minimalist, and gave the voice room to breathe. Not to mention, the groove on this is wild! I was tapping my foot the whole way through. I would have never thought something could be a little jazzy and country-ish at the same time, and come out this well!

Great work, and thanks so much for sharing smile

#454661 - 01/30/18 08:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottom Dollar Blues" with lyrics by "Belladonna" [Re: bluage]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Callie - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
Thank you for sharing this - I LOVE IT!

#454664 - 01/30/18 09:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Bottom Dollar Blues" with lyrics by "Belladonna" [Re: bluage]
Loc: Scottish Highlands
furry Offline
Veteran

Loc: Scottish Highlands
NICE, Not usually my scene, but I enjoyed this one.

Whenever I have a problem, I just sing, Then I realize my voice is worse than my problem.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® - Freezing Tracks

Like what you hear in Band-in-a-Box®? Make sure to Freeze the track(s) or song! Once frozen, it won't be regeneraged or change when you play it again - and your choice isn't final, since you can unfreeze them just as easily:
-press the blue snowflake button within the track name of the mixer window
-press the blue snowflake button within the expanded toolbar of the program (Ctrl + T will swap between the two toolbar views), and select the track(s)

Note: If you want to force Band-in-a-Box® to generate tracks without adjusting the Freeze settings, hold down the Shift key as you press the [Generate and Play] button (the fly-by hint will remind you of that) or choose the menu command Play | Play Special | Generate (even if tracks are frozen).

To learn more about freezing your Band-in-a-Box® tracks or songs, visit Chapter 5: Playing Songs | Freezing tracks of our Online Manual.

With Band-in-a-Box®, Making Music Has Never Been Easier!

We came across this recent post, Music Making Software: Record, Edit, Create and Share Your Own Songs, which includes Band-in-a-Box® in their list of software you'll need to record and edit your own songs!

One of our favourite products, and one that doesn’t seem to come up much in discussions about music making software, is Band-In-A-Box from PG Music. This is probably the longest established and certainly one of the most popular music making software packages of all time. Already packed with features, the latest version has added functions that in our opinion make this an essential buy for musicians in any genre, for keyboard players, guitarists, singers, in fact any musician looking for an outstanding tool to make the most of their creative ideas.
-www.musicrepo.com

The Download Manager - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

The "Download Manager" within Band-in-a-Box® for Windows is a great tool to confirm or help with the installation of your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows program!

What does the Download Manager do?
Automatically installs Band-in-a-Box® content (RealTracks, RealDrums, etc.) in the background, so you don't have to sit there the whole time! It can also confirm that you've completely installed your purchase.

How do you use it?
Within the program, go to Help | Utilities | Run Download/Install Manager now. Using your activation code, the program will analyze the installation folders, and list anything that still needs to be downloaded and installed.

Learn more about the Download Manager with this tutorial, or check out the topic within the Online Manual.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows Online Manual - Chord List & Shortcuts

Visit the Chord List of our Online Manual, and you'll see all the chords that can be used within the program! The list includes a few Tricky Chords and Shortcut Chords that you may find useful too!

Tricky Chords:
C5b This is "C flat 5." It is spelled this way to avoid confusion.
C2, C5, C4, C69, C7alt, Cm7#5
You can type C-7 for Cm7 (i.e. use the minus sign) or C7-9 for C7b9.

Shortcut Chords
If you enter a lot of songs, you will appreciate these shortcut keys.
J = Maj7
H = m7b5 (H stands for Half diminished)
D = dim
S = 7sus

There's even information on how to add your own chord shortcuts - check it out!

Video Request Answered - Creating Intros, Bridges, and Endings in Band-in-a-Box®

Check out the newest support video created by Kent that explains how to create intros, bridges, and endings in Band-in-a-Box®! Click here to view...

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker Feature

If you have a folder of songs that you'd always like easy access to within Band-in-a-Box, make sure you familiarize yourself with The SongPicker feature, which access the folder that you choose and lock it to!

Access the SongPicker by clicking on the [Song] button next to the title of the song within the main screen of Band-in-a-Box. The first time the SongPicker is opened, you can choose the folder to use to create the list by selecting [Change] and navigating to your preferred directory. Once chosen, select [OK - Make Song List], and Band-in-a-Box does the rest... the next time you click on [Song], you'll be taken directly to your preferred folder!

Learn even more about this feature within Chapter 5 of our Online Manual, here.

Just Launched - The FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

If you have a question (or questions!) about Band-in-a-Box®, PowerTracks, RealBand®, or any other PG Music Inc. product - whether it be technical support or pre-sales, there's now an easy one-stop spot to find the answer - our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

Don't want to read through the 600+ posts? Use the Search FAQ option, and you can choose your key search terms to locate the topic and answer you're looking for!

Common pre-sales questions about our products, ordering, and delivery:
Pre-Sales

Technical support & troubleshooting by product:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Band-in-a-Box® for Mac
RealBand® for Windows
PowerTracks Pro® Audio for Windows
Other Products

There's even a Request New FAQs forum, if you didn't see your question answered anywhere!

Forum Stats
28227 Members
58 Forums
54207 Topics
453074 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Daveheller, porkchop sound, Richard68, JeffBro, sophie24

28227 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 167
Al-David 155