Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#455622 - 02/04/18 12:31 PM [User Showcase] One (Acoustic Version)
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Expert

One (Acoustic Version)

I showcased the original version of this song in early 2017 (http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=60316&Number=410049#Post410049 ).

That version was rock oriented, but Miira's voice did not come to its full potential in it. Miira made a better vocal track later but it was not used because it would not have changed much. Then one day accidentally an idea hit my mind that this song should be performed with the accompaniment of an acoustic piano. I noticed how well it worked, so I added couple of simple acoustic instruments and this version was born.

Because this new version is radically different than the original, and I think also better both musically and vocalwise, I want to share it with you. The message of the song is still valid, you can think that 'one' could mean this forum.

Some of you compared Miira's voice and singing style in the original version to the Cranberries vocalist Dolores O'Riordan. Since Dolores died a while ago, this version is dedicated to her memory.

Real Drums: Brushes Pop 8ths Swirl
Real Tracks:
Acoustic piano #1006
Acoustic bass #2475
Acoustic guitar #1595, #2916
Cello: 1856
Viola #2236

Vocals: Miira (audio harmonies in some parts generated by BIAB)

Mixed in Adobe Audition 2017

Lyrics:

You don't need a crowd to praise you
when you play guitar
You only need one to tell you
how important you are
you only need one to find you
among brighter stars
to show you your worth
you are her caviar.

Often I look for more favor
but I am too blind to see my own greed
one is enough for the blessing of life
I already have what I really need.

You don't have to live from the likes
of the virtual mind
you only need one whose feedback
is thoughtful and kind
you only need one who follows
the path you've designed
who's honest and real
and won't leave you behind.

[Chorus]

I still cling to the fleeting moments
those time grains in a sandglass,
I should seek the rare things
that won't go with the first tide
dissolve when decades pass
but stay by your side.

Are you the one not afraid of
throwing herself out off the safe ground?
Are you the one who wants to dive deep
knowing there's a pearl waiting to be found?

-----
Janne

#455641 - 02/04/18 02:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Originally Posted By: jannesan

Because this new version is radically different than the original, and I think also better both musically and vocalwise, I want to share it with you. The message of the song is still valid, you can think that 'one' could mean this forum.

-----
Janne

Janne, I agree 100%. This is outstanding and Mira sounds tremendously better in this version. I also like the arrangement and instrument selections a lot better.

Two thumbs up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#455650 - 02/04/18 02:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
Wow, what a difference! Both versions were good, however I do significantly prefer this one. The style of the song just matches the lyrics and vocal style so well here. Fantastic job!

#455794 - 02/05/18 11:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: MarioD]
jannesan Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: jannesan

Janne, I agree 100%. This is outstanding and Mira sounds tremendously better in this version. I also like the arrangement and instrument selections a lot better.

Two thumbs up.

Thanks Mario, I appreciate your very positive words smile I'm glad you prefer this version, it is strange that it took me 6 months to realize that I could make this kind of an arrangement.

Janne

#455797 - 02/05/18 11:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: Ember - PG Music]
jannesan Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
Wow, what a difference! Both versions were good, however I do significantly prefer this one. The style of the song just matches the lyrics and vocal style so well here. Fantastic job!

Thanks Ember for your kind feedback smile Yes, the difference is really striking, same song, but totally different style. I'm really happy that you find that the lyrics match the style better here.

Janne

#455803 - 02/05/18 12:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: jannesan]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
I don't know that I would go about comparing the two versions, but I think this is gorgeous.

I love the vocal and the simple instrumentation.

It reminds me of latter day Bjork in a way (e.g. Utopia), and I mean that as a huge compliment.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#455805 - 02/05/18 12:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: jannesan]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
That is a terrific arrangement and it well showcases the vocal.

Enjoyed it.

J&B
J&B Website

#455812 - 02/05/18 12:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: jannesan]
Loc: New Zealand
RichMac Offline
Expert

Loc: New Zealand
Hi Janne and Miira.

Beautiful song . Thumbs up from here.
I particularly like this.

"Often I look for more favor
but I am too blind to see my own greed
one is enough for the blessing of life
I already have what I really need."

Great when lyrics ring so true.
Cheers.

#455999 - 02/06/18 10:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: David Snyder]
jannesan Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
I don't know that I would go about comparing the two versions, but I think this is gorgeous.
I love the vocal and the simple instrumentation.
It reminds me of latter day Bjork in a way (e.g. Utopia), and I mean that as a huge compliment.

Thanks David for your gorgeous words smile Bjork reference is surely a huge compliment laugh

Janne

#456007 - 02/06/18 11:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Janne,

Miira sounds magical singing against the piano accompaniment. I thoroughly enjoyed listening. You've done a really good job creating this acoustic arrangement.

Yet another fine creation to add to your ever-growing songbook!

All the best,
Noel

#456026 - 02/06/18 12:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: jannesan]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

I don't recall the first version, maybe it was so different from this version.

Anyway, this version is really well done and good.

Sometimes simple is better. We have all these tracks and want to use them, but paring back to the basics sometimes is the absolute best way to go and this proves that.

Nice work and well done.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#456035 - 02/06/18 12:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Cremona-Italy
Sergio Guarneri Offline
Expert

Loc: Cremona-Italy

Excellent performance and arrangement.
Super vocal as usual.

Great harmony.

Sergio.

P.S. I am still working... smile

Sergio

#456447 - 02/08/18 09:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: Janice & Bud]
jannesan Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
That is a terrific arrangement and it well showcases the vocal.

Enjoyed it.

J&B

Thanks Janice and Bud for your positive feedback, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our song smile

Janne

#456449 - 02/08/18 09:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: RichMac]
jannesan Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: RichMac

Beautiful song . Thumbs up from here.
I particularly like this.
"Often I look for more favor but I am too blind to see my own greed
one is enough for the blessing of life I already have what I really need."
Great when lyrics ring so true.
Cheers.

Thanks RichMac, I appreciate your kind words, glad you liked the lyrics, it's good to remember those quoted lines when you feel let down because there is not enough likes etc.

Janne

#456453 - 02/08/18 09:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Virginia
Belladonna Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Virginia
This one does really showcase the vocals. Nice song and lyrics.

#456463 - 02/08/18 10:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Janne !:))

Absolutely superb tune
and performance !
a wonderful mix of
Bacharach style sounds
as well as Wilson too !

Very good Janne and that goes
for Mira too !

Cheers
Dani

#456510 - 02/08/18 03:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Expert

Loc: Missouri
Janne, this a beautiful song and performance with great chord changes and melody! A real pleasure to listen to! Thanks, Torrey

#456559 - 02/08/18 11:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Washington State
bluage Online   content
Journeyman

Loc: Washington State
Dear "jannesan"...

Out of a title as simple and stark as "One", you and Ms. Mira have created something that will surely appeal to many, in and out of the User's Forum.

Your sudden intuition that an acoustic piano would greatly enhance this new version was an inspirational moment of transporting musical clarity, in my opinion, at least. The piano along with Ms. Mira's voice crying out the imaginative lyrics turns "One" into a duet of sound and singing. To be emotionally moved by this composition required only a single listen, after which I wanted to just sit still and replay the performance in my head and heart so I could keep it there, close to me.

The cello and viola in concert with the RealTracks nearly obscures the fact that the piece was created using Band-in-a-Box. I think it could cause someone, anyone to argue that it couldn't have been produced with software, no matter how sophisticated or accomplished that software is. It simply sounds like it was performed and recorded in concert hall. I expected to hear applause when it ended, after a long pause held by a stunned audience.

I don't know how you did it, but you did. This is what the word "beautiful" was meant to describe.

Lost in it,

LOREN

#456717 - 02/10/18 12:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: Noel96]
jannesan Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Miira sounds magical singing against the piano accompaniment. I thoroughly enjoyed listening. You've done a really good job creating this acoustic arrangement.
Yet another fine creation to add to your ever-growing songbook!
All the best,
Noel

Thanks Noel for your magical words, they are always so uplifting smile I totally agree that Miira and piano is a great combination smile

Janne

#456719 - 02/10/18 12:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: Guitarhacker]
jannesan Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I don't recall the first version, maybe it was so different from this version.
Anyway, this version is really well done and good.
Sometimes simple is better. We have all these tracks and want to use them, but paring back to the basics sometimes is the absolute best way to go and this proves that.
Nice work and well done.

Thank you Herb for your kind words smile I agree that sometimes simple is better. When you start composing with BIAB you find many nice sounding realtracks and you want to use them all and finally the arrangement is too complex. Sometimes you should think outside the Box, Band-in-a-box in this case smile , and then you can realize what the song really needs.

Janne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
With Band-in-a-Box®, Making Music Has Never Been Easier!

We came across this recent post, Music Making Software: Record, Edit, Create and Share Your Own Songs, which includes Band-in-a-Box® in their list of software you'll need to record and edit your own songs!

One of our favourite products, and one that doesn’t seem to come up much in discussions about music making software, is Band-In-A-Box from PG Music. This is probably the longest established and certainly one of the most popular music making software packages of all time. Already packed with features, the latest version has added functions that in our opinion make this an essential buy for musicians in any genre, for keyboard players, guitarists, singers, in fact any musician looking for an outstanding tool to make the most of their creative ideas.
-www.musicrepo.com

The Download Manager - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

The "Download Manager" within Band-in-a-Box® for Windows is a great tool to confirm or help with the installation of your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows program!

What does the Download Manager do?
Automatically installs Band-in-a-Box® content (RealTracks, RealDrums, etc.) in the background, so you don't have to sit there the whole time! It can also confirm that you've completely installed your purchase.

How do you use it?
Within the program, go to Help | Utilities | Run Download/Install Manager now. Using your activation code, the program will analyze the installation folders, and list anything that still needs to be downloaded and installed.

Learn more about the Download Manager with this tutorial, or check out the topic within the Online Manual.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows Online Manual - Chord List & Shortcuts

Visit the Chord List of our Online Manual, and you'll see all the chords that can be used within the program! The list includes a few Tricky Chords and Shortcut Chords that you may find useful too!

Tricky Chords:
C5b This is "C flat 5." It is spelled this way to avoid confusion.
C2, C5, C4, C69, C7alt, Cm7#5
You can type C-7 for Cm7 (i.e. use the minus sign) or C7-9 for C7b9.

Shortcut Chords
If you enter a lot of songs, you will appreciate these shortcut keys.
J = Maj7
H = m7b5 (H stands for Half diminished)
D = dim
S = 7sus

There's even information on how to add your own chord shortcuts - check it out!

Video Request Answered - Creating Intros, Bridges, and Endings in Band-in-a-Box®

Check out the newest support video created by Kent that explains how to create intros, bridges, and endings in Band-in-a-Box®! Click here to view...

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker Feature

If you have a folder of songs that you'd always like easy access to within Band-in-a-Box, make sure you familiarize yourself with The SongPicker feature, which access the folder that you choose and lock it to!

Access the SongPicker by clicking on the [Song] button next to the title of the song within the main screen of Band-in-a-Box. The first time the SongPicker is opened, you can choose the folder to use to create the list by selecting [Change] and navigating to your preferred directory. Once chosen, select [OK - Make Song List], and Band-in-a-Box does the rest... the next time you click on [Song], you'll be taken directly to your preferred folder!

Learn even more about this feature within Chapter 5 of our Online Manual, here.

Just Launched - The FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

If you have a question (or questions!) about Band-in-a-Box®, PowerTracks, RealBand®, or any other PG Music Inc. product - whether it be technical support or pre-sales, there's now an easy one-stop spot to find the answer - our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

Don't want to read through the 600+ posts? Use the Search FAQ option, and you can choose your key search terms to locate the topic and answer you're looking for!

Common pre-sales questions about our products, ordering, and delivery:
Pre-Sales

Technical support & troubleshooting by product:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Band-in-a-Box® for Mac
RealBand® for Windows
PowerTracks Pro® Audio for Windows
Other Products

There's even a Request New FAQs forum, if you didn't see your question answered anywhere!

Over 190 Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Today's the day we say "Happy Birthday" to Adolphe Sax, the creator of the Saxophone!
(Adolphe was born November 6, 1814 - 32 years later he patended his saxophone creation!)

We have more than 190 Saxophone RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box with the following RealTracks Sets - review the complete list here.

Check our our Saxophonist programs for Windows:
The Jazz Saxophonist
The Rock Saxophonist

Forum Stats
28211 Members
59 Forums
54895 Topics
455248 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
devotrain990, layton, TomTowle, Dische, rolandmammoliti

28210 Registered Users