#455683 02/04/18 07:16 PM
Beginners Forum
M
mbsmike Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Hello all! I'm a relatively new user. Have read the forum for a couple months and must say it is very informative and a pleasure to read.

Today I ran into an issue that searches have not help to answer. I'm using 2018 BIAB on a Windows 10 machine. I've done two songs with mostly no issues at all. But today changed all that.

I put a lot of time in perfecting my third song. At some point in the project I noticed that when I hit the stop button the "cursor" would jump well past the end of the song, don't know if this relevant but never have seen that before. Anyway now when I export to .wav (individual files) they do not contain the count in although it is checked in the song export screen. Time is left at the beginning of each file but no count in is heard. I've unchecked and rechecked the box several times with no joy.

Again not sure how relevant this is but during the second "take" (regenerated) BIAB gave a write fail error then locked up. I run BIAB from the USB drive but write the wavs to an internal hard drive. Also the computer is less than a year old and a powerful machine. This happened once on one of my first two songs and I had to reboot before BIAB would allow me to do anything else. But on this reboot the computer sat at the "restarting" prompt forever. Nothing would happen until I unplugged the USB drive then reboot went as normal.

Gave it another shot and on "take 4" the same error forcing a reboot happened. But this time Windows said it had to repair the USB drive (chkdisk). Said all is well after the process.

Each time I did a new take I did a save as so I have 6 song files. The part that confuses me most is that the crash did not happen until take 2 yet none of the files from the first take have a count in either???? I did a test by exporting the default startup song (just a C chord) using the same style with the same instruments I changed, that export indeed had a count in. But if I load any of the 6 songs files I saved no count in!

So lastly I was going to copy the chord sheet from one of my song files into the default startup song but I could not select and scroll down my song. I could go from bar 1 but when I hit the bottom of the visible page it would not scroll for the rest. Tried it in reverse, bottom to top, but again no scroll.

So I'm seeking advice. Is it corrupt and beyond repair? Does this write fail lockup happen often. Can I do something different to avoid it?

Sorry for the novel but wanted to give as much detail as possible. Thanks in advance!
Mike

Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen
Windows 10 pro 1709 16299.125
Intel core i7 6700k CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.01 GHz
16 gig memory
BIAB UltraPak version is 2023 (Latest)
Cubase pro 9
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the forum.

You write a very clear problem statement.

Yes, BIAB files can be corrupt. No, it's not often. I would say, quite rare.

In your case, since a problem occurred on writing the file, your odds of the file being corrupt went higher.

You can go to the display options and give yourself many more rows (I think the default may only be 12) so you can see more of the song to highlight and copy.

I take it you are running BIAB from the USB drive and did not install it to your PC. It works fine, but it would be faster if you installed at least the program to your internal drive.

When BIAB doesn't start, there are two files you can delete (BIAB will rebuild them): intrface.bbw and mysetup.dk I may have the spelling wrong by memory, but that first one really is spelled wrong. BIAB should then start. And always Run BIAB As Administrator.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I have had problems with some USB drives keeping my laptop from booting, but then never any problem with the drive itself.

We have also seen instances of where the connection inside the USB drive comes loose and operates intermittently.

I run my BIAB/RealBand locally on the internal hard drives; however, rather than run from the USB drive PGMusic sent you, I would probably opt to copy everything to another USB drive and put the master away as a backup. But that's me.

The good news is that if you find your BIAB is corrupt (and it's possible that since you had to run CHKDSK, there may be some files that didn't get fully repaired), as long as you have registered your serial number in your account on the main page, you can log into your account and download the complete BIAB 2018 package (should it come to that).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Beginners Forum
M
mbsmike Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Thank you for replying gentlemen.

I haven't had anytime in the studio since posting. I do believe that my BIAB usb drive is fine? As stated I opened a new song and exported and all seem to be fine. Good ideas on installing the program on my local drive and getting another USB drive to house the rest.

Would this require a uninstall and reinstall? Would I have to reupdate everything?

Fortunately I downloaded everything off the website and made a copy of the USB drive when I received it.

The write failure stumps me? All "save as" went fine, no errors. The audio export that had write failures was writing to my local drive. Seems odd?

Lets assume that these failures were separate from the main problem. Can anyone think of any reasons why there would be space for a count in but no actual count in on this export?

Thanks again
Mike

Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen
16 gig memory
Cubase pro 9
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome!

By default, when exporting tracks Band-in-a-Box insets two bars to account for the count-in.

You may be able to eliminate the two bars by changing some of the count-in options available at Options > Preferences > Count-in/Met. The Help file indicates these options affect playback, not exporting so these options may not change exported track files.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
It's not likely that the program is corrupted. The problem can occur in the process of working on and saving/writing files.

I had this happen one time and nothing I seemed to do would fix it. My fix was simple. I first copied the chords in the song..... highlight the entire song and select copy.....

then I opened a new project and simply pasted the chords back in and the new one worked perfectly. Give it a slightly different name and save it. Reopen it to test. If everything is fine, simply delete the old file from the computer.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
M
mbsmike Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
It's not likely that the program is corrupted. The problem can occur in the process of working on and saving/writing files.

I had this happen one time and nothing I seemed to do would fix it. My fix was simple. I first copied the chords in the song..... highlight the entire song and select copy.....

then I opened a new project and simply pasted the chords back in and the new one worked perfectly. Give it a slightly different name and save it. Reopen it to test. If everything is fine, simply delete the old file from the computer.

Thanks a ton.
Glad to know I'm not the only one to experience this.

I was going to copy into a new song but could only select what was visible on the screen. Was going to try (I believe Matt suggested) but I just took it into Cubase and made my own count in.

Thanks again and any other suggestions are welcome for future challenges!
Mike

Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen
16 gig memory
Cubase pro 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,491
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195