Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Has anyone successfully used the LoopBe1 virtual midi cable program to send an extra midi signal to a synthesizer or harmonizer while using realtreacks and coyote in biab? I need help with settings. Midi/Audio driver setup recognizes that it is there and I have it set as midi in/ midi out. I have dxi checked (also tried without). I have biab setting for "vocalist" (ch5) and have set my vocalist pro to ch5 and "all" but no midi signal to the harmonizer so far. Any suggestions?

Mike

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
The LoopBe1 driver should not be selected for both In and Out. This will cause MIDI feedback. I believe it has a fail-safe that mutes the driver if it detects MIDI feedback, so that could be what is going on.

If you are using the driver for output, then you need another program to use it as input. For example, PowerTracks or RealBand could receive MIDI signals and play out through a DXi synth.

If the Vocalist is hardware, then the LoopBe1 driver would not be necessary. In that case their should be some kind of output driver available in the Band-in-a-Box MIDI output driver list.

Blake

PG Music Inc.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks Blake, but that is my problem. BIAB does not support multiple midi and therefore when playing realtracks you can't use another piece of midi hardware like the vocalist. That's why if I want midi instruments playing along side my realtracks I have to use the dxi setting (coyote) and it will not send a separate midi signal out using this configuration.

Veteran
Veteran
I don't have LoopBe1 but I've used MIDI YOKE. It's a virtual cable as well.You can have up to 16 virtual cables. You need only one.So here's what you do assuming your soundcard is OK with it. It should be.
1. Use midi yoke 1 as your output driver in BIAB
2. In your host program use midiyoke as your input driver for as many tracks as you need.And assign the approprite channels for those tracks that coincide with the BIAB instrument channels
3. assign each of those tracks to a particular DXi/VSTi
4. Route the audio from those DXi/VSTi to your sound card.
5. In BIAB route the audio to your sound card.RTs & RDs
6. In BIAB go to :OPT./PREFS/output channel
7. In this screen check off "output chords" as set up it'll output basic chords on channel 5.
8. In the host again set a track to receive midiyoke 1 on channel 5
9. set this track to output to your hardware midi interface that is plugged into the midi in of your Vocalist
10. Make sure the Vocalist is set to receive the chord info on channel 5.

This is how I did it in the olden days. Hope this helps.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Veteran
Veteran
I'd get the midi out working first.

I clean out the soloist part.

I change the solo part to Midi ch 5

I set the output chords to Midi ch 5

You should just be able to plug a usb to midi cable into the computer, plug it into the harmonizer and it should work.

On my harmonizer there are presets numbered 1.1 to 9.9

If I embed using f5 at bar 1 a 32 it will set the harmonizer to 3.2 so you can change from one harmony to another on the fly.

I would the the above working, and set Midi out (No in yet) in Opts Prefs Midi Driver

I'd use all Realtracks and watch to see my box work on harmonies.

Once you get that working you can decide if you want to try going back in and using the Dxi, I have not tried that as I use a Ketron or My Jv1010.

I think one step at a time is best, like I said no midi plugged back in.

Once you get that to work I'd simply try clicking on the Dxi and see if the soloist track is still firing midi out on ch 5.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks guys, but still no joy. I'll try again tomorrow. BIAB does list my vocalist pro (usb) under midi outs, so if I choose that and not select dxi it will get me through tonight's gig with my midi harmony. I'll just have to stick with songs that only use real tracks (or take the time to change the midi options for the songs with both realtracks and midi).
I really appreciate you taking the time to help!
Mike

A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A
I'm responding to this old thread-wanting to use BIAB with midi tracks and an external harmonizer.

1. It seems 32 bit midi yoke won't support my 64 bit Iconnectivity MIO...which is a USB to midi converter and supplies the signal to the harmony machine. So I must look elsewhere

2. The choices are loopbe1 ..... or midiloop software by Tobias Erichsen

Anyone have experience with either for supplying multiple midi outs?
Thanks-

Veteran
Veteran
LoopBE works fine on 32-bit and 64-bit Windows; however, I would suggesting buying LoopBE30, which gives you up to 30 virtual MIDI in/out ports for $19.90.

I have used it with, for example, Noteworthy Composer (which doesn't support DXi or VSTi synths) by sending MIDI data out to LoopBe and then configuring a standalone synth to receive data from LoopBE.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A
John-
One external midi channel is sufficient for me. But I have a question:
Since the BIAB "Route all DXI/VST" checkbox now doesn't make sense, will LoopBe offer synth options? In other words what will be the NEW order of midi routing, and how will that interface with BIAB?

Looking at the posts above, i believe "Silvertones" addressing of MidiYoke...will likely apply to LoopBE. You choose it as your output device, check "Route DXI/VST" to a Coyote, etc...... specify a midi channel in Output Chords...and let LoopBE assign that channel to my MIO - USB to Midi hardware converter.

I'll wait till you weigh in on this before the install, John. Thanks as usual for your giving and comprehensive attention.
Dan

Veteran
Veteran
I believe that is correct, but it's free and easily installed/uninstalled. Just give it a try and you should have your answer in about five minutes. And it doesn't hurt to have it installed. It just adds another MIDI port to your system.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A
Well...... LoopBe1 is installed but nothing is happening. I click on the tray icon or in Programs, and no midi or monitor window comes up..... just the mute screen. I would happily purchase the 8 port version if it does work. I'm now awaiting a response from the creator.....though a bit skeptical at the moment. And others online have recently expressed difficulty. We'll see

A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A
O.k. here's the story......LoopBe1 does NOT offer one additional port...it's ONLY one port, so useless for a second midi out in BIAB. I would install LoopBe30- there's a trial. But some user notes first, would be helpful- I don't want to open a midi can of worms. There's another thread about this on the forum. I'll look there.

Veteran
Veteran
That's why it's called LoopBe1, because it's only one port. LoopBE30 is up to 30 ports, but you decide how many you want installed (default is two).

I've had it on my computers for about a decade now and it has never caused problems and has always worked. The only thing to be careful of is to not inadvertently set up a MIDI feedback loop.

And you can just try the trial version. The trial version of LoopBe30 works for 60 minutes after its first use. After every reboot, it will work again for an additional 60 minutes. As I said in the previous post, it is also easily uninstalled if you don't want to use it.

John

Veteran
Veteran
First here is some reading that may help with what you are trying to do

http://bandinabox.wikia.com/wiki/Accessing_Multiple_Midi_Ports

Second, I seem to have lost the bubble on this how many outputs that you want BIAB to eventuality feed, sounds like at LEAST two? If yes then you are correct Loopbe 1 BY ITSELF won't help, (see above) – and John already said that (but stand by).

Also if yes, besides a multi-port driver you will ALSO need something like MIDI OX (you knew that right?) if trying to go DIRECT form BIAB OUT to your i Connectivity port. You COULD take BIAB OUTPUT via MIDI Yoke, Loopbe 1, or Loopbe 30 into ANOTHER DAW or standalone VSTi (that has with ability to send MIDI out) and THEN using that DAW/VSTI (as a patch bay) route its MIDI thru or OUT to your iConnectivity port.

Yes I saw you already said MIDI Yoke didn't work (more later). I have and do USE BOTH MIDI Yoke and LoopBe 30, I have and do use MIDI Yoke with a 64-bit Yamaha USB MIDI for my Montage 7 and my Fishman Triple Play (installed using its 64 bit drivers)

Like you and John said Loopbe30 has a trial, TRY IT - it won't hurt anything.

Now about MIDI Yoke:

I’m not doubting you have issues but MIDI Yoke SHOULD work fine with your iConnectivity so not sure why you are having issues??

Even if you know this I’ll mention for others who may not know . You need to route BIAB MIDI OUT to a MIDI Yoke port (#1, # 2, #3, … or #8) THEN use MIDI OX (or similar or another DAW) to connect that single MIDI Yoke port to the multiple MIDI IN’s your trying to drive. And if not using MIDI Ox you are using a a similar "software patch bay" or a DAW that can route MIDI ins to one or more MIDI outs

And if having trouble installing MIDI Yoke in Win 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kORFzILrdmA

BTW the single Loopbe1 port would work just as well in conjunction with MIDI OX as a single port of MIDI Yoke

===================
Next just me rambling

A MIDI port is a MIDI port as far as the OS (or MIDI) is concerned. Again, I use MIDI YOKE/OX with the 64-bit "drivers" for Yamaha USB support for use to/from a Montage 7 while also using my Fishman Triple Play (and its 64-bit driver) to other VSTi's and DAWS for recording/playing and routing.

The iConnectivty uses a "run of the mill" USB 2 interface (it is backward compatible to 1.1 and the whole thing peice of HW is backward compatible to Win XP SP3 - which is ONLY 32 bit)

the iConnectivty MIDI input (if designed to MIDI spec) is listening for a handshake and data from ANY MIDI input source it cannot tell if the handshake and data at its "input" was generated using 32 software, 64 bit software, or another piece of dedicated MIDI hardware, which is independent of ANY OS

The MIDI Protocol is only 8-bit; furthermore, MIDI data itself is only 7 bits since one bit is a STATUS bit (7 bits can represent 128 things)

good luck
Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 02/12/18 10:06 AM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: Mike Lucich
Thanks guys, but still no joy. I'll try again tomorrow. BIAB does list my vocalist pro (usb) under midi outs, so if I choose that and not select dxi it will get me through tonight's gig with my midi harmony. I'll just have to stick with songs that only use real tracks (or take the time to change the midi options for the songs with both realtracks and midi).
I really appreciate you taking the time to help!
Mike

https://www.thepiz.org/plugins/?p=midiOut
https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html
LoopMidi is better than LoopBe (LoopBe tends to mute itself), it's free and can set many ports.

Is it the midi chords you want to send to vocal pro ?
If so then in Options > Prefs > Output chords enable

Chord Types
Channel
Ticks before 0 or early ?
Write track to midi file.
Save Midi > file on disk
File > Import > Melody or Soloist from Midi file

Import saved midi and same channel only

Load midiOut into that track and set it to the usb hardware device or LoopBe or MidiLoop.

A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A
Larry-
You didn't ramble a bit, and gave me a most generous answer. Thanks so much. With a Windows 7 machine and a Yamaha 144 sound module, I never had an audio or midi issue. Also, Midi Ox/Yoke was my religion during a long, XP tenure. But things changed this weekend.
I suddenly got the whim to pull out my old Helicon Voice Live, and while many Ox/Yoke 64 bit postings seemed discouraging, I took the Ox plunge. But after installation....more posts made me second guess this, and I uninstalled Ox.
The moment of grief arrived after that uninstall, Larry....when BIAB suddenly would play nothing without a yellow error message that there is no Audio driver present in Windows. The message would disappear, and the program would then play. But how an OX uninstall could corrupt my Yamaha 144 audio driver was a mystery. Other audio apps gave the same message. So I tried to reinstall my Yamaha audio driver..... and that FAILED ...saying 'Please telephone the company' A system restore to the pre-OX state brought things back in line. But as the Chinese say, "Once bitten by a snake, for 10 years you're even afraid of a rope"
My second venture of this past weekend involved LoopBe, but emails to creator Daniel Schmidtt, failed to garner help. So in light of your vast knowledge on these specific subjects, I guess you're my guide on 64 bit BIAB midi.
If there is an Ox version other than the latest standard 896 KB version whose uninstall somehow corrupted my Yamaha audio driver, please point the way. And if Yoke and OX still work as efficiently ina 64 bit system as you claim, there's no need for LoopBe at all. Any insights would be helpful. Thanks again.

Veteran
Veteran
Don't know what to tell you. So try Pipeline's Loopmidi

I'll now ALSO try LoopMIDI just for grins(thanks Pipeline!) .

but as an FYI I am NOT running Win 10 version 1709 (aka fall creators edition) - so maybe....???

I'm still on last springs version (1703) and will SKIP 1709 completely (and may even skip next one version 1803 coming VERY soon to a PC near you) - depending on what the Win 10 Home users (AKA guinea pig's or uncompensated beta testers) report as issues.

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A
Pipeline's method of just using Real Tracks is what I've been doing until a more viable solution materializes. Yes, ....I currently output chords to the IConnectivity MIO...my selected midi output driver that gives chord info to the Helicon Voice Live But this forces me to solely use Real Tracks. PG support says the idea of multiple MIDI drivers has been bandied about by the developers for years, but since the vast majority of users prefer Real Tracks exclusively, midi is a dinosaur.

Personally, I couldn't disagree more. From stride piano to cha cha backgrounds, I find that to this day,a mix of midi and Real....often provide the most satisfying tracks.

Perhaps someone will offer a safe, easy, and definitive workaround for achieving multiple MIDI outputs in BIAB.

And Pipeline, ....does LoopMidi actually work here without a need for midi ox to distribute the midi? If so, and if it integrates easily, please share a bit more about this. Hard to tell from your post if it actually achieves multiple MIDI without complication in BIAB. Thanks.

A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A
And just in csse the developers are listening, the fix for this issue seems simple..... Put 1 more entry into OUTPUT CHORDS.....a dropdown that reads
MIDI DRIVER FOR OUTPUT CHORDS

P
Veteran
Veteran
P

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,487
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195