Options
Index
#456838 - 02/10/18 01:52 PM [User Showcase] The Day That I Won't Love You
Loc: Alabama, USA
Al-David Offline
Veteran

The Day That I Won't Love You

A Work In progress - looking for constructive feedback. Thanks!

I attempted to write a lyric and music in the style of early Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller - simple, a bit sappy, cute love song. They wrote most of Elvis' early songs and a few of his later songs.The lead guitar was as close as I could get to Scotty Moore, Elvis' guitar player back then.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Setting: June, 1956 - Memphis, Tennessee - Sun Records & Recording Studio

Sam Phillips (Studio owner): "I listened to your demo. And, well son, you ain't no Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis or Carl Perkins. And you damn sure ain't no Roy Orbison."

Me: "Really?"

Sam Phillips (frowning): "Uh, yes, really."

Me: "Dang! I guess Mama was fibbing to me all this time!"

Sam Phillips: "Not to fret, son. I got something to help ya, if you can be helped."

Me: "Oh yeah, what's that?"

Sam Phillips: "It's called reverb and echo. And I got lots of it."

Me (excited): "So, let's do it."

Sam Phillips: "The guitar picker ain't as good as Scotty Moore, but he's okay. And against their better judgement, a Jordanaires impersonation group agreed to do some backup singing for ya. Follow me."

Sam Phillips (muttering and shaking his head as I follow him into the studio): "Hope I got enough reverb for this guy - he's gonna need it."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: The Day That I Won’t Love You

Style is ELVIS1.STY (Elvis1 - 50s Rock Shuffle-Blues), Key is F, Tempo is 145
Style MIDI Instruments are : Acoustic String Bass (33), Acoustic Piano (1),

RealTracks in song: 1015:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BluesRockCrispSteady Sw 140
RealTracks in song: 2975:Vocal Oohs-Aahs, Rhythm Pop3-part Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~960:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryBoogieMuted Sw 140
RealTracks in song: 2496:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm RockabillySwingBrent Sw 165
RealDrums in Song: NewOrleansShuffle^03-a:Snare , b:Flat Tire Hat, Shuffle

The Day That I Won’t Love You
© 2018 Alan D. David, BMI

(v1)
I’ve loved you since the day we met
Not a single day goes by
That I don’t know what a treasure you are
And I’m the world’s luckiest guy

(v2)
My love is strong, never ending
Forever and always be true
And when the clouds don’t float in the sky
That’s the day that I won’t love you

CHORUS
When the stars don’t twinkle and shine
And the moon don’t light up the night
The day the mountains don’t reach for the sky
And a baby’s not a beautiful sight
The day the birds don’t sing in the trees
And one plus one ain’t two
When the sea don’t rush to the shore

Instrumental Break

(v3)
You’re the perfect woman for me
I’ll never be in denial
I love the sparkle in your baby blue eyes
You’re the reason I always smile

(v4)
My love’s as true as the air we breathe
And as sure as the sky is blue
When birds no longer take to the sky

Repeat Chorus

Musical Outro

Edited by Al-David (02/10/18 02:19 PM)

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#456853 - 02/10/18 03:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Day That I Won't Love You [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Washington State
bluage Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Washington State
Dear Mr. David...

"Sappy"? Naw. "Cute"? Why sure smile !!! And, I'll add to that, danceable, singable, lovable, innocent, sweet, nostalgic, and...well, I think you get what I'm getting at, don't you?

If heartfelt lyrics that celebrate the power of truly committed love could be regarded as "sappy", well, then "sappy" will just have to become the new word for that rare(?) kind of love.

The RealTracks selections put you right out there on the hardwood dance floor -- the high school's gym, where the reverb would be a natural consequence of the size of that space.

It's great that folks at Band-in-a-Box included those absolutely gorgeous "Ooo-s" and "Ahhh-s", ain't it? In the case of "The Day That I Won't Love You", they transport the listener (if she/he is old enough laugh ), right back into 50's era you sought to emulate.

I think you succeeded in your attempt to recreate a time in the history of American music, Mr. David. Where you gonna take us next, musically speaking?

All ears,

LOREN

Edited by bluage (02/10/18 03:45 PM)

#456861 - 02/10/18 04:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Day That I Won't Love You [Re: Al-David]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Al,

One again you are very good at fitting BiaB into a period sound.
Really fun lyrics - warm with a bit of cuteness that fits the style perfectly.
Backing and oohs sound authentic though I`m no expert on that. Songs back then were usually a bit shorter?
A keeper `til the next opportunity for rockabilly submissions!

Robert

#457005 - 02/11/18 11:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Day That I Won't Love You [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Expert

Loc: Finland
Really nice to hear this kind of authentic rockabilly song smile Very catchy and happy mood. I can imagine a school dancing event, energetic band is playing and oohs&aahs truly sound like school girls - your voice fits very well among them wink and well mixed giving a good live sound.

Janne

#457007 - 02/11/18 11:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Day That I Won't Love You [Re: Al-David]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Sing it Elvis!!

Nice one.

smile

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#457031 - 02/11/18 12:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Day That I Won't Love You [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Expert

Loc: Missouri
Alan, I think you did a great job capturing some of Sam Phillips early sound here! The master eq on this sounds close to my ears! Thanks, Torrey

#457066 - 02/11/18 02:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Day That I Won't Love You [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Cremona-Italy
Sergio Guarneri Offline
Expert

Loc: Cremona-Italy

Great sound by you as usual; it invites me to dance.
It seems to listen to a 50's radio; authentic rockabilly atmosphere.

Sergio

Sergio

#457099 - 02/11/18 06:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Day That I Won't Love You [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Loved this Alan Well done. Super vocal. Guitar was excellent

#457143 - 02/12/18 06:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Day That I Won't Love You [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Nice job on this, Alan! You captured that Sun Records vibe well I think.

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Youtube page

#457144 - 02/12/18 06:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Day That I Won't Love You [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Alan,

Great job of capturing the era sound.

The write has the simplicity of the era. The BGVs work well. The guitar sounds authentic!

A fun listen. (and your introduction is a fun read).

fj

#457170 - 02/12/18 11:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Day That I Won't Love You [Re: Al-David]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Very well done, Alan smile Sappy as it may be - it shows a firm understanding of songwriting, and is the perfect level of catchiness. I love the groove and your vocal performance here. It's hard not to feel cheerful and tap your feet while listening to this.

Great work, and thanks for sharing!

#457242 - 02/12/18 09:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Day That I Won't Love You [Re: Al-David]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

What a fun feel good top tappin' little ditty! I thought it was great. I wasn't even expecting that! You sounded like you were having so much fun and I totally enjoyed it too!

#457248 - 02/12/18 10:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Day That I Won't Love You [Re: Al-David]
Loc: New Zealand
RichMac Online   content
Expert

Loc: New Zealand
Hi Alan,

Great lively band you've got there.
Smooth vocal takes me back a long way in the style of early Elvis.
Still enjoy Lieber and Stoller's songs. Kitschy and catchy.
Good job. Most enjoyable.

Cheers.

#457258 - 02/13/18 02:02 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Day That I Won't Love You [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Alan,

Great sound! I really enjoyed that.

Bob

#457311 - 02/13/18 07:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Day That I Won't Love You [Re: Al-David]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
What they all said above!

We love rockabilly and you did a fine job with this presentation.

Channeling your Elvis, eh? You can convincingly cover a lot genres!

J&B

PS As an upright player I (Bud) would love to hear some slap bass on this! Just sayin' smile
J&B Website

#457335 - 02/13/18 09:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Day That I Won't Love You [Re: David Snyder]
Loc: Suburban Stucco Tract House - ...
Ian Ferrin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Suburban Stucco Tract House - ...
Cool tune.

I like the 50s reverb on the vocal.

I don't like the EQ on the vocal.

I'd really suggest playing around with the eq in the 2k to 5k range on your voice. Some vocal articulations are completely lost.

Other than that, it sounds great. Good tune.

Peace,

Ian

#457372 - 02/13/18 12:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Day That I Won't Love You [Re: bluage]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: bluage
Dear Mr. David...

"Sappy"? Naw. "Cute"? Why sure smile !!! And, I'll add to that, danceable, singable, lovable, innocent, sweet, nostalgic, and...well, I think you get what I'm getting at, don't you?

If heartfelt lyrics that celebrate the power of truly committed love could be regarded as "sappy", well, then "sappy" will just have to become the new word for that rare(?) kind of love.

The RealTracks selections put you right out there on the hardwood dance floor -- the high school's gym, where the reverb would be a natural consequence of the size of that space.

It's great that folks at Band-in-a-Box included those absolutely gorgeous "Ooo-s" and "Ahhh-s", ain't it? In the case of "The Day That I Won't Love You", they transport the listener (if she/he is old enough laugh ), right back into 50's era you sought to emulate.

I think you succeeded in your attempt to recreate a time in the history of American music, Mr. David. Where you gonna take us next, musically speaking?

All ears,

LOREN

Hi Loren.

Thanks so much for all those great comments - loved it! I'm delighted it sounded convincing to you. And yeah, those oohs and ahhs are fabtastic - love them!

Thanks again.

Alan

PS: As far as what's in store for my next period song - I'm working on a Bob Seger-type song from the 80s. Hope to post it it within a couple of days. I'm trying to catch the sound of the various generations of music - it's just a challenge I bestowed upon myself.

Edited by Al-David (02/13/18 12:17 PM)

#457373 - 02/13/18 12:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Day That I Won't Love You [Re: Robertkc]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Al,

One again you are very good at fitting BiaB into a period sound.
Really fun lyrics - warm with a bit of cuteness that fits the style perfectly.
Backing and oohs sound authentic though I`m no expert on that. Songs back then were usually a bit shorter?
A keeper `til the next opportunity for rockabilly submissions!

Robert

Hi Robert,

I always enjoy hearing from you. Thank you for that kindness. I work really hard at getting an original sound for period-dated stuff. Thanks for the encouragement with those very nice comments. Thanks again!

Alan

#457374 - 02/13/18 12:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Day That I Won't Love You [Re: jannesan]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Really nice to hear this kind of authentic rockabilly song smile Very catchy and happy mood. I can imagine a school dancing event, energetic band is playing and oohs&aahs truly sound like school girls - your voice fits very well among them wink and well mixed giving a good live sound.

Janne

Hi Jannbe,

Thanks for the time to listen and for the really nice words. Thanks for everything - much appreciated!

Alan

#457376 - 02/13/18 12:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Day That I Won't Love You [Re: David Snyder]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Sing it Elvis!!

Nice one.

smile

Hi David,

Elvis has left the building but Alan is still here! Best to you,

Alan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Drum Notation Support in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

One of the newest features added to Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Drum Notation Support!
•All the MIDI Drums have drum notation. Play the MIDI Drums and open the Notation window. Then, select the Drums track and you will see drum notation.
•Drum notation can be entered by a user on the Melody/Soloist track.

Learn how to enter MIDI Drums notation when you jump to this topic in our New Features video:
35:18 - New Features: New Track Type - Drum Notation

Customers LOVE the NEW Xtra Styles PAK 6!

Here's what they're saying:
"I can't get enough of the Xtra Styles!"
"These RealStyles are phenomenal!!"
"These are AWESOME!"
"Gypsy Jazz? Yippee!"
"I want them ALL!"
"The Country Xtra Styles are perfect for my songs!"
"Everyone should have these!"

There are 162 more RealStyles now available with Xtra Styles PAK 6 for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 or newer - that means there are more than 900 RealStyles available with Xtra Styles PAKs 1-6!

We're having a SALE! During the month of December, purchase Xtra Styles PAK 6 for just $29! (reg. $49) In fact, each Volume (6 total) is available for just $29 each - we're also offering a special price for a purchase of ALL Volumes 1-6 - for just $159 you can receive ALL 900+ RealStyles!

Review all the different Xtra Styles PAKs for Windows here. Mac user? Click here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Order in Time for Christmas!

Looking to put Band-in-a-Box® under the tree? It's not too late!

USA/Canada: Order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 21st for Express delivery
Outside of North America: Order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 19th.

Order online anytime at www.pgmusic.com and be downloading most products within minutes!

Until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows, we've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2019 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2019 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Forum Stats
28478 Members
58 Forums
55398 Topics
461537 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
korelus, ckane, Brasso, Tchinn, Clyde001

28478 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 402
Pipeline 373