Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#457705 02/15/18 09:44 AM
RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Recently i have been 'testing' RB 2018 v4. This as i haven't been using it much sofar compared to BIAB 2018.

I loaded a BIAB MGU file, which works OK there, and which has a few beat count bar changes. Imported in RB it has some issues (see picture}:

1) (a & b). a RT switches to a new track leaving a gap.
2) Gaps appear ...
3 and 3b) not all MIDI tracks are loaded completely.

What's up here? -F

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Realband 2018 v4 errors.jpg (334.79 KB, 221 downloads)
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Re: "Imported in RB it has some issues"
Can you describe the exact method used to 'import'? This might have some bearing.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi VT. tried various imports, MGU, Frozen MGU, SGU, and i guess the errors are popping up after a beat count change at a bar is far as i can see. Also some bars have a lot of internal chord changes; i like to steer the bass note at times. example:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BIAB temp.jpg (62.19 KB, 201 downloads)
RealBand
Expert
Expert
IMO BEST WITH A DEDICATED DAW.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Just figured out why the tracks switched .... had some style changes set halfway through, style picker variations on a similar style in this case.

And the gap was ONE chord set to HOLD on a 3rd beat within a bar. And in Biab all this played smoothly.

So I guess REALBAND v4 cannot handle style changes, and you cannot approach them as set in BIAB on a certain bar in the chords layout page. Worse is that RB doesn't 'know' how to handle a hold - break.

Picture of the same BIAB MGU Songfile, and without the style changes and holds: looks normal ... Alas sounds quite boring now; guess i wont be using realband much LoL. Time for a huge set of fixes here .... - F

Realband 2018 v4 errors fixed.jpg (234.46 KB, 187 downloads)
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Fiddler2007; they are different programs.
RB is not BiaB. If you are content with BiaB that is great, but I always worry when people suggest they 'fix' RB to act more like BiaB ..
I worry one day that will happen and RB will stop being what it is.

Changing styles on a track in RB is easily doable, and many more variations can be layered, auditioned, etc.
It does many things much better than BiaB, but it is NOT BiaB, so yes there are some differences.
That doesn't mean RB is broke. Your statement that it is 'time for a huge set of fixes' implies that RB is broke.

There are trade offs due to the differences.

For my workflow I'd have given up on all the convoluted work to get a track to change styles in BiaB and simply generated different tracks to my heart's content in RB. Then sliced/diced the results if needed.

Like I said, they are simply different programs. Use whatever works for your workflow.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Sorry, thanks for your input; guess i am a rookie regarding Realband, and i will look in to matters a bit further ... F

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Fiddler

I think Rharv (and me too) are worried that one day there might be only one 'merged' product called something like: "Real Band In A Box".

I'm concerned (scared?) about the trade-offs that might occur if that ever happened.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I think the way RealBand and Band-in-a-Box approach a song project has a lot to do with what features can be implemented and how the features are implemented.

RealBand "sees" a song project as one long timeline while Band-in-a-Box "sees" a song project as intro, chorus, repeats and ending chunks. The different approaches require different solutions and lets both programs have distinct strengths and weaknesses.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
..... I think Rharv (and me too) are worried that one day there might be only one 'merged' product called something like: "Real Band In A Box". I'm concerned (scared?) about the trade-offs that might occur if that ever happened.

Well, i must say that BIAB could use some of RB's features, like an extra audio track, and a visual overview of what happens 'down the tracks'. BTW, just installed and checked v5. Seems that the switching to different tracks at a style change has been fixed, but some hold files are still missing. Not all though it seems. - F

Realband 2018 v5 hold errors.jpg (257.52 KB, 142 downloads)
RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Hi Fiddler2007, Do you know although BIAB has only one Audio channel that it can be used multiple times? A second, third or a number of additional audio tracks are available in BIAB as either mono or stereo tracks as needed.

Not sure whether that would be useful to your project or not. Just letting you know the capability is there in the event you were not aware.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Hi Fiddler2007, Do you know although BIAB has only one Audio channel that it can be used multiple times? A second, third or a number of additional audio tracks are available in BIAB as either mono or stereo tracks as needed.
Not sure whether that would be useful to your project or not. Just letting you know the capability is there in the event you were not aware. Charlie

Nope, i only thought that one can mix audio channels together to ONE mono or stereo mix audio track .. you got me curious now ... thanx, -F

RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C

Thread 1

Thread 2

Here are two forum threads that explain the procedures in greater depth. I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hello Charlie. Looks (sounds) promising ... never used a "performance" track, guess i have to get me a BIAB deep sea diving course now .... -F

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
IMO BEST WITH A DEDICATED DAW.

RB is a dedicated DAW. The big difference between RB and a standard DAW is it will work directly with Biab files.

BUT, RB IS NOT SIMPLY ANOTHER VERSION OF BAND IN A BOX.

That phrase needs a second read.

If you treat RB as the DAW it is then when you open a Biab file all you really want is the chord grid. The first thing you do is check the box that says "Treat all Biab tracks as standard tracks". That means they will not automatically regenerate. You may or may not want to keep them but for now assume you want to keep them as is.

Now you have all the normal DAW functions PLUS the ability to add more Biab tracks but under your full control, one track at a time. You may not really like one of the Biab tracks you imported. Fine, generate another version using a different style if you want. Then generate another version using another style. And another, and another. You have 48 tracks to mess with, see what I'm talking about now? You can do that with every instrument from the original Biab file. You may wind up with a song that has ZERO tracks from the original Biab file. All you really needed the Biab file for was the chord grid. Opening a Biab file saves you from having to reenter the chords.

Now, this is the tip of the iceberg. Keep reading the RB forum and watch the RB vids. There's a whole lot more you can do with it like adding a midi file for example. Combining Biab tracks with parts of a good well made midi can do wonders for a song assuming you have a high quality synth. No, the Coyote Wavetable or the Forte Dxi are not high quality synths. I use Sampletank 3 others use Kontakt, Garritan or other softsynths. Those cost real money but the sound quality definitely compares with the Real Tracks so they blend in very well.

People have said that RB's midi editing capabilities are not that good. I don't know because it's all I've ever used and I think it's pretty good but like anything else you have to jump into the help files and mess with it yourself. I can do quite a lot with midi in RB. I've read that Cubase is great with midi and that could very well be but Cubase costs $700 while RB is free. Free works for me.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
... but Cubase costs $700 .... Bob
There are various versions, cheaper ones with more limitations, and some even come free, usually with some audio hardware combined. But the MIDI editing capacities are some of the best IMO. - F

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
True, but Cubase also requires iLok and mention that around these forums and see what most think of it.

A serious question for you though, do you know if the killer midi capabilities is included with all versions or only the higher priced ones?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
For the 9.5 Elements version i think you don't need an eLicenser dongle, but it has a 'software' protection system, and it costs 100. I think the midi is on par with the more extended pro version, and the drum editor too. Strong point for MIDI is the 'logical editor', and i don't know if it's included. One of the very useful things for MIDI already included in the old ATARI pro24 midi only pre-cubase version. You can download a 30 trial version here (lower section): cubase trial download .F

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
What exactly does the 'logical editor' do?

Most users never get deep enough into MIDI to see how things like the Data Filter and other MIDI features of RB/PT work, so it may just be a matter of knowing how to do stuff in RB.
Like JM stated above, I have no trouble editing MIDI in RB, and sometimes bring MIDI into RB from other DAWs for editing .. maybe because I am familiar with it, but I haven't often been stymied using it.
RB also supports SYSEX, if you want to get deep into MIDI editing.
That was one of the features that first brought me to PT about 25 years ago.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
If you do a lot of MIDI edits very useful:
-F

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195