Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#458227 02/19/18 06:12 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So this isn't exactly related to music but it's certainly off topic.

Many of you know that I'm training my dog Lilly for HRD. (human remains detection)

we spent the weekend out in the woods. 730 acres of woods, streams, a lake and fields. We arrived Friday afternoon and received a briefing on some missing campers.... 6 kids of varying ages and 2 with serious medical problems. We set out searching.... trying to determine what direction they might have gone. It was well after midnight before we were recalled to command. We used air scent tracking and trailing dogs to get some idea where they might have gone.

Saturday morning, we were back in the field with hounds. Saturday afternoon it was determined that several of the kids may not have survived the night and my dog (HRD) was sent out to find the body of one of the girls where the hounds had indicated she might have gone. Hounds only track living people.

So, as we were loading into the transport vehicle, it started raining. We searched the area where we were instructed to search and spent a good hour in the rain, poking through briars and thorn bushes and high weeds. We found nothing and called command for further instructions. They expanded our search area to include a section of woods between the ball fields and the clear cut along the stream. Within 5 minutes of moving to the new section we located the missing victim.

It was a good weekend of training. The outcome of the training scenario was that 2 of the kids didn't make it but 4 did. We continued the live tracking into Sunday morning when we had a dry sunny morning. Out of concern for the actual kids who were playing the parts of the survivors, we pulled them from the woods or didn't put them out to start with in the rain. So the dogs that were tracking them were following at least a 24hr old trail that had endured 5 hrs of rain..... amazing dogs.

This is Lilly. This was a photo from last year's SAREX. I rarely get pics of my dog when she's working because I'm too busy watching her for body language changes that tell me she's "in odor" as we call it. It's subtle and if I'm not paying attention it's easily missed. This pic was taken above the lake and in the general area where she made her find this year. Sunday morning, we did some HRD training. 3 small sources in a wooded half acre section. All dry bone.... which is low odor.... humans can't smell anything at all.... Lilly went first so she didn't have any "dog scent" to follow. I put her in the wooded area and she had all 3 bones indicated within 3 minutes or so. She's come a long way. The first find was 15 seconds into the sector. Very quick and very impressive.

We had a team from Georgia (non-K9) come up and participate, and individuals from several other states as well as a number of people from our own team were there. We always train with K9's so it was good to get out and do some man-tracking on foot. Totally different set of skills. Personally, I'll defer to the dogs on that skill.

Last year was a bad year for our team for a number of reasons.... medical and personal for our leadership, but this year we're hoping things go better and we can train more often. My hope is that very soon, perhaps before the summer gets here, Lilly and I will get the chance to take the NASAR K9 HRD Land certification. That lets us become "operational" on our team.

A lot of valuable lessons learned..... gotta have rain proof gear (gloves were the weak link) ..... you won't find a missing person where they are not, you only find them where they are. Not every search finds someone, in fact most don't, and when you do, the results are not always good....and having an HRD dog.... that's how our searches usually end.

But we had fun. Anyway, that's what we did this weekend. Lilly was one happy critter to get back to the house.... just saying.... so was I.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Very interesting read. I love dogs and respect what they can do. What you're doing certainly falls under the old cliche "It's a dirty job but someone has to do it". This is the definition of a community service. Sad, but also vital. It's gotta be tough to find a child like that.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Very interesting read. I love dogs and respect what they can do. What you're doing certainly falls under the old cliche "It's a dirty job but someone has to do it". This is the definition of a community service. Sad, but also vital. It's gotta be tough to find a child like that.

Bob

fortunately, the bodies we had to find were training mannequins and not deceased kids. we're certainly a different breed because our discussions over a meal involve such topics as the various stages of human decomposition up to and beyond liquifician... the kind of stuff to which my wife would say " do you mind? we are eating here."

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Dogs are SO much smarter than people. I see it with mine every day. Just the things she does in her day to day routine. She can't see yet comes to find me to get things she wants but can't reach, like when she hides bones and they fall to a place where her snout won't fit. Police dogs, service dogs, and yours is a cross between those two, just fascinate me.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
our discussions over a meal involve such topics as the various stages of human decomposition up to and beyond liquifician

You've probably read "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers"? I enjoyed learning about this topic. https://www.amazon.com/Stiff-Curious-Lives-Human-Cadavers/dp/0393324826

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent. I voted many, many times for Lily in that competition of 2016

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
our discussions over a meal involve such topics as the various stages of human decomposition up to and beyond liquifician

You've probably read "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers"? I enjoyed learning about this topic. https://www.amazon.com/Stiff-Curious-Lives-Human-Cadavers/dp/0393324826

I placed it in my amazon cart for the next time I order something. We study and discuss those sorts of things all the time. In fact there are several "body farms" around the country, with one being here in western NC run by a university, that allow HRD dog teams to come and train on various occasions. They study human decomp in a variety of settings.... surface, buried, clothed, wrapped in plastic, warm, cold, dry humid... taking scientific readings and recording everything and documenting it for forensic studies. Morbidly fascinating.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Excellent. I voted many, many times for Lily in that competition of 2016

I certainly appreciate that. They closed it for law enforcement only, for the last one. I think they had a bunch of K9 SAR teams get in and our team was in the top 10 the entire time. They probably didn't expect that. Since the company sponsoring it sells it's services to law enforcement mostly, they wanted a law enforcement agency to win it.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,

what impresses me about you is that you are very high-functioning in a bunch of different directions. Whatever you set your hand to do, you do it with all your might. It is a rare individual who absorbs information the way you do. This is just one more way in which you have earned my respect.

It's interesting to me that this forum has a number of such people.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Herb,

what impresses me about you is that you are very high-functioning in a bunch of different directions. Whatever you set your hand to do, you do it with all your might. It is a rare individual who absorbs information the way you do. This is just one more way in which you have earned my respect.

It's interesting to me that this forum has a number of such people.

Now that right there is a high compliment..... thank you

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Dogs are so fascinating! My friend's dog is trained as a police dog. It's so amazing what great senses our canine friends have!

Cheers,
Ember
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I like dogs because they wag their tails instead of there tongues ....

Cheers,
Keith
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I’ve spent only very short stretches of my entire life without a dog and I’m on the porch with our border collie as I type. We love dogs and everything they can do and enjoy reading about their amazing variety of skills.

Thanks for sharing your and Lilly’s story. And cool that she's smiling for the photo smile

J&B

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Wow - this was incredibly interesting to read! I so often forget just how capable and intelligent dogs can be.

Cheers,
Deryk
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
I’ve spent only very short stretches of my entire life without a dog and I’m on the porch with our border collie as I type. We love dogs and everything they can do and enjoy reading about their amazing variety of skills.

Thanks for sharing your and Lilly’s story. And cool that she's smiling for the photo smile

J&B

several team members have Border Collies. they're amazing dogs.

yeah... Lilly is doing a Mona Lisa kind of smile....

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My two wonderful pups, coming home from a spa day with the groomer. Charlotte Ann (on the left) is a Black Mouth Cur and Bella Donna (on the right) is Black Mouth Cur/American Bulldog mix.

They are strong and lithe, wonderful around kids, and a joy to have in the family.

Yes, dogs really are amazing.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Charlotte and Bella.jpg (58.59 KB, 106 downloads)

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My border collie and keeshond. They love to ride with me in the convertible....

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
un.jpg (181.9 KB, 99 downloads)
Dogs

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dogs are indeed family... sometimes more so than our own flesh and blood. I know that's true for us.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Have you heard about the 2 year old German Shepard that was shot three times, and lived, protecting his teenage owner? +++ Home Invasion Hero Dog +++

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Have you heard about the 2 year old German Shepard that was shot three times, and lived, protecting his teenage owner? +++ Home Invasion Hero Dog +++

yep....

www.herbhartley.com

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,476
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195