#458562 02/21/18 07:45 AM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
M
Mattox Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
I have been using sonar for my recording. They have closed their doors. Is their any recommendation for a new recording software that works like Cakewalk and will import the songs I saved in Sonar?

Mattox #458567 02/21/18 08:00 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Each DAW stores content in their own proprietary format. There are some folks who tried to write some converters, with limited success. It requires fully understanding the source and target file formats (which are not necessarily published).

There are any number of powerful DAWs, although none will "be" Sonar, as each approach audio creating/editing/mixing/mastering in their own way. If you log onto the Sonar User Forum, you'll see lots of folks discussing what they are doing and how they are handling it (and also a lot of griping about the current state of Cakewalk and Gibson).

While not necessarily endorsing any one product (everyone's workflow is different) many have switched to PreSonus Studio One v3, or Reaper v5, or Magix Samplitude Pro X3, or Cubase, or MixBus. For many of these, you can still find some nice cross-grade offers, but I suspect the further away we get from the demise of Cakewalk, the fewer the offers will be available.

From what I've seen, the best bet is (while you can still use Sonar) is to save each track as a WAV file (even MIDI tracks, assuming you want to preserve the current sound you get). You should also save each project with MIDI as a MIDI file, although you will lose all softsynth and effects settings when you bring it into a new DAW. So, that would mean taking notes about each project so as to re-apply settings and effects you made within the confines of a new DAW after you import the file.

Once you have everything exported, you can import the content into the new DAW, but you'll still have to do do a lot of tweaking once there. Unfortunately, unlike notation with MusicXML, there isn't a common DAW format that you can save/export to and then import in to another DAW. They each do their own thing.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #458570 02/21/18 08:15 AM
M
Mattox Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
thank you, looks like I have a lot of work and learning ahead of me

Mattox #458647 02/21/18 04:08 PM
Apprentice
Apprentice
I second what John said. Personnaly, I use PreSonus Studio One as my DAW. I played around with Sonar in the past, like it but never made the switch. I thought the learning curve on Studio One was pretty easy, but nothing compares to Sonar/Cakewalk for handling Midi. If you're interested, you can download Studio One Prime, which is a free version of Studio One, but lacks some of the features and plugins.

Rich

Windows 10, 64 bit | BIAB 2019 PlusPak | Studio One 2 Artist
Mattox #458655 02/21/18 05:04 PM
Veteran
Veteran
If you're presently using an older Sonar version what you have will continue to work as good as it has in the past. There is little reason for that to change unless you're computer runs Windows 10 and Microsoft changes the operating system so drastically that the operating system "break" what presently works.

The issue is that what you have will not be updated so new and upcoming features such as VST3 or the midi improvements announced at NAMM 2018 will not be available for use to you.

The suggestion to check out the Cakewalk forum is a wise suggestion. One Cakewalk user is alpha testing a utility program that converts Cakewalk projects to Reaper projects. Information is available about how to download Cakewalk's consumer product, Sonar Home Studio, for free (the same info is available in this forum) and many marketing offers to attract Sonar users.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Mattox #458665 02/21/18 08:06 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I'm about to purchase Studio One.
They were running a deal for Sonar users.
All the best.

https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-One

Mattox #458666 02/21/18 08:16 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I'm an avid Reaper user.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Rob4580 #458704 02/22/18 04:55 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
I'm about to purchase Studio One.
They were running a deal for Sonar users.
All the best.

https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-One

I went from Splat to Studio One Pro (SO3) and I have no regrets! As you know I work mostly in MIDI and while I do miss the ease of working with MIDI in Splat I can still do a lot of things in SO3. It's not as easy but it still can be done.

SO3 is a lot faster and very stable on my Win 10 system. I have been using it since December and I have never had a crash. The ease of adding MIDI instruments as well as all effects, MIDI and audio, is amazing.

I like SO3 so much that I took Splat off my system. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Rob4580 #458733 02/22/18 09:12 AM
Veteran
Veteran
if you ARE going to buy Studio One and ahven't pulled trigger yet see this thread it will save you about $30

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458330#Post458330

Yes I have bought lots of SW at JRR Shop

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 02/22/18 09:12 AM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Mattox #458979 02/23/18 06:56 PM
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Cakewalk was bought today from Gibson

Mattox #459446 02/27/18 05:50 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Cakewalk is now going to be a part of Bandlab. What they do with it is yet to be determined.

That said.... your present Cakewalk software will continue to run just fine. I'd suggest, if you haven't already done so, to set up a DAW that is a dedicated machine. Preferably off line so it doesn't get automatic OS updates and patches. I did that years ago and my DAW works as well today as it did the day I installed Sonar on it.

Until the computer itself dies, it should continue to run the same way. And even then, as long as I can get parts I can keep it running. Since I have the OS, I can reinstall that to a new machine w/o any issues, or perhaps it might be time to move up to 64 bits if the machine dies..... and when that happens, I'll have a look around at the market to see what's available.

In the mean time.... do good backup on your data. Always save your songs not only in the cakewalk format but also save the individual track files in a folder as waves. With waves, you can import them into ANY DAW and recreate the project if you need to do so. I tend to find that I rarely need to or want to go back to a project once it's completed.

Save as a cakewalk project, save as the individual track files, and save a clean wave of the finished song.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran

I am going to mostly agree with Herb here but add one thing:

Luckily, I do all my first recordings in Real Band and only mix in Sonar.

I really like Real Band for recording audio. I think it is easy, easy top work with, easy to edit in, clean, and never clips. I don't see why people are so harsh about it. I love Real Band.

Then, when I have everything, I export all to individual files.

So, no matter what happens with any DAW, I will always have those master files of each track.

For effects, I have a folder with presets for almost every VST I use so in a worst case scenario, I could start any song over in any DAW and be done in an hour, or heck, mix it in Real Band.

The world won't stop because Sonar went out of business, and I will still use it as long as I can.

I will cry for a little while though if it crashes and never comes back, because I love the interface.

Jim Fogle #461039 03/07/18 02:44 PM
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle

The suggestion to check out the Cakewalk forum is a wise suggestion. One Cakewalk user is alpha testing a utility program that converts Cakewalk projects to Reaper projects. Information is available about how to download Cakewalk's consumer product, Sonar Home Studio, for free (the same info is available in this forum) and many marketing offers to attract Sonar users.

I have been playing around with Reaper for several weeks now. Whilst I still prefer some things in Sonar there are many things Reaper does better. For example, Reaper makes slicing audio then moving or deleting parts and putting the audio back together much easier than Sonar. Reaper makes varying tempo easier.

As Jim said there is work on opening CakeWalk CWP in Reaper using ReaCWP. This does work fairly well but obviously there are issues with CakeWalk only VSTs but in general it seems to work pretty well.

My two bobs worth and personal experiences.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 03/07/18 02:46 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Teunis #461052 03/07/18 04:55 PM
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
There's just so much you can do with Reaper with scripts and actions. https://reapack.com/
Like I can import Biab musicXML then extract the chords from it to Regions, Markers or Text Items, what other DAW can you do that in ? Rather than going to the wishing well and waiting years you just create what feature you need.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,513
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195