Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#458552 - 02/21/18 08:17 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] How create midi file with chord names as lyrics played by Yamaha
Loc: Noord-Holland
J R Offline
Apprentice

I like to save the biab songs as midi files with chord names as lyrics so I can play them by my Yamaha keyboard. When I use the option "Save special, midi file, write lyrics in GM format", those midi files will play by Yamaha but no lyrics in the display. I want to read the chord names with each bar.

I looked to the forum but couldn't find a topic about this.

#458574 - 02/21/18 10:26 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How create midi file with chord names as lyrics played by Yamaha [Re: J R]
fiddler2007 Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Jan Ronday
.. "Save special, midi file, write lyrics in GM format" ....
¿Qué?

#458580 - 02/21/18 10:50 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How create midi file with chord names as lyrics played by Yamaha [Re: fiddler2007]
J R Offline
Apprentice

Yes. Left top corner: file/save special/ save song as midi file/ etc. Is that not the right way? But the lyrics (chord names) are not on the Yamaha display. I understand it should work. How?

#458587 - 02/21/18 11:25 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How create midi file with chord names as lyrics played by Yamaha [Re: J R]
fiddler2007 Offline
Expert

Guess a karaoke midi expert here should be able to tell you more. You can export the chords ad midi data on a track (number 9?) as option somewhere, but lyrics?

#458589 - 02/21/18 11:35 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How create midi file with chord names as lyrics played by Yamaha [Re: J R]
Loc: Pensacola, Florida
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Did you enter the chord names as lyrics in your BIAB file, or were you expecting BIAB to do that for you? I don't believe it currently does. Also, there is currently no MIDI standard for chord name designations, so the chords from the chord grid does not get exported out of BIAB into a MIDI file.

The setting you selected, "Write Lyrics in General MIDI Format" is used strictly to either save lyrics in the standard MIDI format or in the older proprietary PGMusic format (not really used anymore). It has nothing to do with the song chords (unless, of course, you have manually entered them as lyrics on the lyric line.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#458590 - 02/21/18 11:36 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How create midi file with chord names as lyrics played by Yamaha [Re: J R]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Jan,

As far as I'm aware, chords from the BIAB chord sheet cannot be automatically converted to lyrics and saved in a midi file.

I'll investigate this further but it's not an option that I remember seeing (not that that means it's not available).

It would certainly be possible to enter the chord symbols in the lyric line manually and this would only take about 10 or 15 minutes for most songs. It's not a challenging process.

What did you read that led you to the conclusion that "I understand this should work"? If I know this, it might help me solve the problem.

Regards,
Noel

#458595 - 02/21/18 12:10 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How create midi file with chord names as lyrics played by Yamaha [Re: Noel96]
J R Offline
Apprentice

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think I am wrong about it should be possible to save the chords grid in midi files as lyrics. I will try to enter the chord names as lyrics. I am not using a melody part in my songs. Just bass, drums and piano. Is that a problem to create lyrics?

#458596 - 02/21/18 12:16 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How create midi file with chord names as lyrics played by Yamaha [Re: J R]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jan Ronday
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think I am wrong about it should be possible to save the chords grid in midi files as lyrics. I will try to enter the chord names as lyrics. I am not using a melody part in my songs. Just bass, drums and piano. Is that a problem to create lyrics?

No, not at all.

In version 2018 (Windows) of BIAB...

1. go into Editable Notation Mode

2. right-click on the staff where you'd like to add the chord

3. select 'Insert lyrics' from the menu

Regards,
Noel

#458599 - 02/21/18 12:35 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How create midi file with chord names as lyrics played by Yamaha [Re: Noel96]
J R Offline
Apprentice

I inserted the lyrics. I can see them on top of the bars. I saved the song with midi format 1/0/KAR. None of the midi files are showing the lyrics on my Yamaha. I can't find in the Biab Help what I do wrong.

#458600 - 02/21/18 01:01 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How create midi file with chord names as lyrics played by Yamaha [Re: J R]
J R Offline
Apprentice

I think I found a solution or work around. When I insert the lyrics as Section Text this will be displayed on my Yamaha on the bass clef. In lyrics mode too but there is no space between the chord names. But I am happy for now. I will work on it, but not tonight. It is late in the evening.

#458609 - 02/21/18 02:29 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How create midi file with chord names as lyrics played by Yamaha [Re: J R]
Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Jan, I think you just discovered an excellent workaround for getting the chords in a midi file, write them as lyrics. I know I never would have thought of that because I don't sing, I ignore anything to do with lyrics. Good job!

Bob

#458681 - 02/22/18 01:32 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How create midi file with chord names as lyrics played by Yamaha [Re: J R]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Does the Yamaha show Midi Markers ?
In RealBand you can insert Markers in the Midi file (still waiting for that request "Chords to Midi Markers").

Biab exports the chords in MusicXML as Notation Events, if you drag a musicxml file into Reaper, split it to separate tracks then open a track in the midi editor by double clicking it, down the bottom where the velocity lane is, add a Notation Events lane and you will see the chords.
You can copy the chords from the Notation Events lane to the Text Events lane, then save the track to midi and import back into Biab or do it all in Reaper.
See how you go with that, I could probably put a script together for you to copy Notation Events to Text Events in Reaper.

You could also Opt > Prefs > Chord Output > Save in Midi file
Save As Special ABC > Chords only
then http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=372872
choose the BB Chord Output to sync the lyrics (ABC Chords, clean the text up wordpad to remove the characters you don't need).
You can also get chords from the big lyric window Print > Copy to clipboard, you just need to add 1 lyric in the track to get it to copy the chords.
This will insert the chords as lyrics where the chord changes occur in the BB Chord Output track.
But hey, it should just do all this in BB/RB.

Attachments
Reaper-NotationEventsChords.png

#458683 - 02/22/18 02:06 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How create midi file with chord names as lyrics played by Yamaha [Re: Pipeline]
J R Offline
Apprentice

This is a lot of information and solutions. Thanks. I will try them all but that will take some time. Thank you.

#458770 - 02/22/18 03:53 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How create midi file with chord names as lyrics played by Yamaha [Re: J R]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

In Reaper Menu > Actions > Show Action List > Reascript > New
copy and paste code below,
select a track from the imported musicxml
in the Reascript window > Ctrl+S to save and run script
close script window
to run the script next time just type the name you save it to in the filter box
in the midi editor File > Export to New MIDI file
Biab File > Import > Import Melody from MIDI file.
You can also import the Midi from Biab into Reaper and copy the BB Chord Track Midi notes to any one of the musicxml track replacing the existing notes, this will give you a BB Chord Track as well as Chord Lyrics.

Code:
reaper.Undo_BeginBlock2(0)
reaper.Main_OnCommand(40421,0) --Item: Select all items in track 40421
reaper.Main_OnCommand(40153,0) --Item: Open in built-in MIDI editor (set default behavior in preferences) 40153
take = reaper.MIDIEditor_GetTake(reaper.MIDIEditor_GetActive())
reaper.MIDI_Sort(take)
MIDIOK, MIDI = reaper.MIDI_GetAllEvts(take, "")
tChords = {}
stringPos, ticks = 1, 0
while stringPos < MIDI:len() do
    offset, flags, msg, stringPos = string.unpack("i4Bs4", MIDI, stringPos)
    ticks = ticks + offset
    if msg:byte(1) == 0xFF then
        chord = msg:match("text (.+)")
        if chord then
            tChords[#tChords+1] = {chord = chord, ticks = ticks}
        end
    end
end

for i = 1, #tChords-1 do

reaper.MIDI_InsertTextSysexEvt(take, true, false, tChords[i].ticks, 5, tChords[i].chord)

end
reaper.Undo_EndBlock2(0, "Convert Notation Event Text to Text Events", -1)

Or in Karakan select the BB Chord Output track, (you can add bar numbers or bar characters with the chords, just join them so there are no spaces \1.|Bm|\2. \3.|Em|\4. or |Bm///|//// |Em///|//// or ??? )

Attachments
KK-Chords.gif

Reaper-NotationEvents-to-TextEvents.png

#459493 - 02/27/18 02:11 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How create midi file with chord names as lyrics played by Yamaha [Re: Pipeline]
J R Offline
Apprentice

Thanks Pipeline, but sorry this is too much information for me. I like to do it in BB only. Or is that not possible? Can you please mention again the steps to follow just by simple instructions.
-----------
Update: I discovered MixMaster. Easy tool to edit midi files. I can add Chord Names and Text Events. The midi files saved in BB and loaded into MixMaster do not contain text or chord names. I will try this tool and hope I can see the chord names as lyrics on my yamaha piano.

Edited by Jan Ronday (02/27/18 03:41 PM)

#459525 - 02/27/18 06:26 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How create midi file with chord names as lyrics played by Yamaha [Re: J R]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

That MixMaster looks good and it's donationware.
But it will take a lot longer than the other to methods.
I think the easiest way right now is save the midi file and save to ABC.

1. Download Karakan https://sites.google.com/site/karakankaraoke/

2. Biab > Options > Preferences > OutputChords (see pic below)

3. Biab > File > Save Special > Save Song as ABC Notation

4. Drag ABC file into NotePad

5. Notepad > Edit > Replace > copy the characters you don't need
and paste in "Find What" and in "Replace With" leave blank to remove or add new character to replace with. If your chords have numbers in them find 7 replace with \7
6. Open Karakan > open the midi saved from Biab > Select Voice track > BB Chord Output.

7. Copy and paste the chords from notepad into Karakan > Play Karakan

8. Karakan menu > Karaoke > Save to MIDI file with Lyrics

Attachments
BB-Chord-Output.png

Notepad-ABC.png

Notepad-ABC-2.png

Notepad-ABC-3.png

Notepad-ABC-4.png

#459526 - 02/27/18 06:26 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How create midi file with chord names as lyrics played by Yamaha [Re: Pipeline]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Attachments
Notepad-ABC-5.png

Notepad-ABC-6.png

Notepad-ABC-7.png

#459549 - 02/28/18 01:56 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How create midi file with chord names as lyrics played by Yamaha [Re: Pipeline]
J R Offline
Apprentice

Thanks Pipeline. You spend a lot of time to help me, and other members I guess. I will try this today. A real challenge.
-------------------
Update: it works. The only issue is that because of the 2-bar lead in the lyrics (chord names) and score is not in sync during playing on the Yamaha. It is in sync with the Karakan tool. But I will figure out that.

Thank you. I am very pleased.

Edited by Jan Ronday (02/28/18 03:12 AM)

#466834 - 04/12/18 01:18 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How create midi file with chord names as lyrics played by Yamaha [Re: J R]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Try PSRUTI http://www.heikoplate.de/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=67&Itemid=83
http://www.heikoplate.de/zips/psruti817_setup.zip
http://www.heikoplate.de/pdf/psruti_eng817.pdf

I saved a bb song to mid in Biab with Options > Prefs > Chord Output
Open midi in PSRUTI
Compute Chords, choose BB Chord Output channel and Save as text
Chords/Lyrics Import/Export > Import the exported text as lyrics
Save As midi file.

If you Output Chords during Lead In you will get the chords on bar -1 and 0
Or Midi Option uncheck Include 2 bar lead-in

Attachments
BB-Output-Chords.png

PSRUTI01.png

PSRUTI03.png

BB-Midi-Options.png

Edited by Pipeline (04/12/18 04:07 AM)

#466839 - 04/12/18 02:07 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How create midi file with chord names as lyrics played by Yamaha [Re: J R]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Wow!

Pipeline, I'm blown away by your incredible tutorial.

It's outstanding work.

Noel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Drum Notation Support in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

One of the newest features added to Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Drum Notation Support!
•All the MIDI Drums have drum notation. Play the MIDI Drums and open the Notation window. Then, select the Drums track and you will see drum notation.
•Drum notation can be entered by a user on the Melody/Soloist track.

Learn how to enter MIDI Drums notation when you jump to this topic in our New Features video:
35:18 - New Features: New Track Type - Drum Notation

Customers LOVE the NEW Xtra Styles PAK 6!

Here's what they're saying:
"I can't get enough of the Xtra Styles!"
"These RealStyles are phenomenal!!"
"These are AWESOME!"
"Gypsy Jazz? Yippee!"
"I want them ALL!"
"The Country Xtra Styles are perfect for my songs!"
"Everyone should have these!"

There are 162 more RealStyles now available with Xtra Styles PAK 6 for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 or newer - that means there are more than 900 RealStyles available with Xtra Styles PAKs 1-6!

We're having a SALE! During the month of December, purchase Xtra Styles PAK 6 for just $29! (reg. $49) In fact, each Volume (6 total) is available for just $29 each - we're also offering a special price for a purchase of ALL Volumes 1-6 - for just $159 you can receive ALL 900+ RealStyles!

Review all the different Xtra Styles PAKs for Windows here. Mac user? Click here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Order in Time for Christmas!

Looking to put Band-in-a-Box® under the tree? It's not too late!

USA/Canada: Order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 21st for Express delivery
Outside of North America: Order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 19th.

Order online anytime at www.pgmusic.com and be downloading most products within minutes!

Until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows, we've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2019 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2019 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Forum Stats
28480 Members
58 Forums
55411 Topics
461608 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
MDelto, 546213, korelus, ckane, Brasso

28480 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 404
Pipeline 376