Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Mus Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi all,

Here is a fix request for 2017 - RealDrums Shots and Holds trigger a seemingly random single drum hit (a tom, a snare, a hi-hat, a bass drum etc.)

Is this fixable or is there a workaround? Been like this for years afaik.

Thanks!
M

Last edited by Mus; 11/23/16 09:09 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
There is a setting to reduce the volume of Shots and Holds in Preferences for RealTracks and RealDrums. But I don't hear what you describe. Is it every instrument? Could you post a link to an audio snippet that demonstrates what you hear?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Mus Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks Matt,

As an example type 16 choruses of bars 1-4 of Holds and Shots then solo the drums. _POPBRIT.STY. I also recently used a New Orleans Shuffle style which did the same thing.

Can happen on full bars or half bars. Often a song can end on a shot or a hold and it's a bit of a damp squib.

Should be easy to replicate, I think, but it would help to know what rules BIAB applies to shots and Holds i.e when would there be a cymbal hit or when should there be Bass Drum, Tom or Snare etc.

M

Veteran
Veteran
I have no idea what a damp squib is, but it sounds unpleasant.

I am sending you a PM with my email address. If you would like, freeze your song and send it to me as an attachment.

Matt

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Matt, I believe what he's talking about is the same thing I mentioned in the Rio Blues file I sent you at least concerning a shot. Those punches in Rio Blues all work fine except for the drums. The full drum kit plays through that shot, all that happens is a bit of an accent on the kick drum. A damp squid hit if you will, (I called it a dead fish slap once) when you're expecting a solid full drum kit punch. You know, a cymbal, hi hat, snare and kick hit. BAM!

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Dead fish slap?

Seriously, your explanation helped. I have his files and now I can listen for that.

Apprentice
Apprentice
I just made a simple test file to listen for the shots and holds: couple bars of rhythm A, 2 bars of C., 2 bars C.., 2 bars C..., then repeat for B style. Mute all but the drums and generate/listen several times. Change style, repeat.

Some VERY different approaches to S&H and volumes. I almost always have to change drum volume for a bar, then reset. Would be nice to be able to do that for the second half individually make the first beat down 2, then back on beat 3... Oh well, 2018... smirk

Last edited by The Soundsmith; 11/25/16 10:03 AM.

It's all about the music.
(I keep telling myself that...)
http://www.davidkempton.com
Veteran
Veteran
Murray, I'm a bit stumped by what I just saw. In your file, the first one BIAB Drums, I changed it to be E...,C. in the first half of the cell at bar #3. Then ALL the holds were obeyed by all the instruments, including drums that had previously continued to play through the holds in the rest of the song.

I have no answer to the other part of the question, about specifying the drums sound you want.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Dead fish slap?

Ha, it was when the Forte Dxi first came out and the developer was posting on the forum. I had a SRV type of Texas shuffle song and the Forte had exactly that for the snare. A dead fish slap with no attack and rattling snares when what was needed was a solid tight snare hit. He did change it to what the Forte has now. It's not Jamstix but better than it was.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Mus Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Matt, I believe what he's talking about is the same thing I mentioned in the Rio Blues file I sent you at least concerning a shot. Those punches in Rio Blues all work fine except for the drums. The full drum kit plays through that shot, all that happens is a bit of an accent on the kick drum. A damp squid hit if you will, (I called it a dead fish slap once) when you're expecting a solid full drum kit punch. You know, a cymbal, hi hat, snare and kick hit. BAM!

Bob

This is exactly it. Just came back to BIAB after a while and the drums are still the same in the 2018 version after all these years.

This time I was on a different song using _HANGTEN.STY Vintage Surf.

BIAB is great when everything is playing normally at full tilt but as soon as there is a Hold or a Shot the drums fall apart, sound amateurish and render the track pretty unusable.

Are PG listening? Can they get the drums to play a natural unison combination of BD, SD, Tom and Crash etc. as required on the first beat of a Hold or Shot?

Thanks!
M

PS Google 'damp squib':

'Often misheard as "damp squid", the phrase "damp squib" has since come into general use to mean anything that fails to meet expectations. The word "squib" has come to take on a similar meaning even when used alone, as a diminutive comparison to a full explosive.'

K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi Mus,

I think I'm hearing what you're referring to. These RealDrums have more than one shot recorded, so you're not getting the same one on every bar, is that it?

I'm not getting the drums playing through shots or holds like they aren't there, just a variety of shots, some of which you might prefer to others. Is that what you're getting, and do you just want the ability to choose which shot gets generated?

Feel free to freeze the Drums track in a song where you don't think they're working correctly to support@pgmusic.com, we'll be happy to check it out.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
In RealBand you can regenerate each shot to get what you want or copy and paste.
With Biab 2018 you can use the audio editor to edit the drum track how you like but you would need a bit of enthusiasm.
You can save the drum track to a Performance track then move it to the audio editor, copy a good shot from one section to another, OR open the original realdrum track in another instance of Biab and copy the shots you need from the end of the track to the other Biab with your drum track.

and..
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=459905#Post459905

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=460040#Post460040

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=447121

The text file in the RealDrums folder will show where and what shots you have:

Shot{ Kick (applicable for Brushes & Sticks) },1,289,0,543,1,90
;Shot{ Kick (applicable for Brushes & Sticks) },0,289,0,543,1,90
Shot{ Snare with Sticks },1,290,64,543,1,90
;Shot{ Snare with Sticks },0,290,64,543,1,90
Shot{Flam},1,291,128,434,1,90
;Shot{Flam},0,291,128,434,1,90
;Shot{ HiHat },1,292,84,380,1,90
Shot{ HiHat },0,292,84,380,1,90
;Shot{ HiHat Open },1,292,465,543,1,90
Shot{ HiHat Open },0,292,465,543,1,90
Shot{ HiHat Open 2 },1,294,49,815,1,90
;Shot{ HiHat Open 2 },0,294,49,815,1,90
;Shot{ Tom 1 },1,295,385,1087,1,90
Shot{ Tom 1 },0,295,385,1087,1,90
;Shot{ Tom 2 },1,298,34,1087,1,90
Shot{ Tom 2 },0,298,34,1087,1,90
Shot{ Floor Tom },1,300,162,1087,1,90
;Shot{ Floor Tom },0,300,162,1087,1,90
Shot{ Crash },1,302,291,1904,1,90
;Shot{ Crash },0,302,291,1904,1,90
Shot{ Crash 2 },1,306,275,1904,1,90
Shot{ Crash 2 },0,306,275,1904,1,90
Shot{Ride },1,310,260,2176,1,90
Shot{Ride },0,310,260,2176,1,90
Shot{ Side Stick },1,315,37,543,1,90
;Shot{ Side Stick },0,315,37,543,1,90

Mus Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks PipeLine, I'll have a play with that :-)

Mus Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Kent - PG Music
Hi Mus,

I think I'm hearing what you're referring to. These RealDrums have more than one shot recorded, so you're not getting the same one on every bar, is that it?

I'm not getting the drums playing through shots or holds like they aren't there, just a variety of shots, some of which you might prefer to others. Is that what you're getting, and do you just want the ability to choose which shot gets generated?

Feel free to freeze the Drums track in a song where you don't think they're working correctly to support@pgmusic.com, we'll be happy to check it out.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

Thanks Kent, sounds like you can hear exactly what I mean but can send some examples if you wish. Actually, it's not that I prefer any of the single kit-piece shots/holds - none of them sound convincing or like what a real drummer would play at all.

Surely, they would play a combination of a closed HH, SD and BD for a shot or perhaps a Crash, SD and BD for a hold. I'm not a drummer but a single HH is not exactly effective where the rest of the music has paused dramatically for dynamic impact!

I'm not sure how you go about programming these automatically but it would be such an improvement in realism.

Many Thanks!
M

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You could create your own RealDrum set to play just the shots/holds you need but you would need to use F5 to change drums then F5 again to return to normal drums.

Or you could edit the real drum text file (use ; in front to comment lines out) so it only has one shot to choose from, and even add that shot as a custom made one to the end of the wav/wma file, just backup the original text & wav file and experiment with it.
292 is the bar that the shot is on (with the track starting on -1 then 0 as the 2 bar countin) just drag the real drum track into RealBand set to the same tempo as the drums.

more info:
http://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_realdrums_stylemaking.htm

Here are some examples of defined shots:

Shot,1,82,-2,455,1,100
Shot,0,83,5,360,1,90
Shot,1,171,240,200,1,80

The six elements that come after the text "shot" are explained here in further detail:

Type of shot
The type of shot needs to be either 0 or 1. If 0 is entered, the shot will be used when chords are entered with two periods (shot) or three periods (hold). If 1 is entered, the shot will be used when chords are entered with two or three carets before them (8th & 16th note pushes).

Bar number in style wave file
Like with patterns, you need to remember that RealDrums styles use -1 based numbering, so you need to subtract 2 from the bar number as you see it in your audio editor. More than one shot can be played in a single bar, and you would use the tick adjust amount to distinguish between the two.

Tick Adjust
The shots do not necessarily have to occur at the bar lines, and the tick adjust can be used to tell Band-in-a-Box® exactly where the shot starts. Simply measure the number of ticks from the downbeat of the bar number entered to the start of the shot, and that is the number that should be entered here. If the shot starts before the bar number that was entered, a negative number should be entered here.

For example, if a shot is recorded at bar 82, but on closer examination it appears that

Shot,1,82,-2,455,1,100

In another example (see example 10 below), a shot is played at the third beat of bar 171. In this case you need to use the tick adjust to indicate that it a full two beats after bar 171. Since one beat is 120 ticks, two beats would be 240 ticks, and it would therefore be entered as such:

Shot,1,171,240,200,1,80

RealDrums Style Example 10

Example 10: Here the shot begins at bar 171 (173-2), at the third beat, or 240 ticks into the bar.

Duration
Unlike patterns, which use numbers of bars for durations, the shots use ticks for durations. So, for example, if a shot lasts for three beats, you would enter 360 (3 beats * 120 ticks per beat).

Here is an example of a shot that lasts for three beats:

Shot,0,83,5,360,1,90

For the best effect, the sound of the shots should decay naturally, and the entire length of the shot including the decay should be entered in the text file. This is especially important when all other instruments are silent, and all you hear is the decaying sound of the drum hit.

Weight
The weight for shots works exactly the same as the weight for patterns, except that there is no need for the use of 0 or 9 weights. This number should be between 1 and 8, with higher numbers representing a greater chance that the shot will be selected each time.

Volume
The volume of the shots is represented by a number between 1 and 127. If 90 is entered, the volume will not be adjusted at all. If a number between 1 and 89 is entered, the volume will be lowered accordingly, and if a number between 91 and 127 is entered, the volume will be raised accordingly. It is generally easiest to test the volume amounts once the style has been completed.

Veteran
Veteran
Pipeline, this info is too good to lose. Perhaps make a post in Tips and Tricks?

Mus Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks guys,

So, for example, can I edit the SurfRockDoubleTwo^01-Ride,Splsh_165_Style.txt file to have several shots play at once
in BIAB or do I have to use RealBand?

Cheers
M

Last edited by Mus; 03/06/18 04:52 AM.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Create a backup copy of SurfRockDoubleTwo^_165_Style.wav(wma)
and SurfRockDoubleTwo^01-Ride,Splsh_165_Style.txt
So set RB to 165bpm then drag SurfRockDoubleTwo^_165_Style.wav in onto the track name,
go to the end of the track and highlight the first hit you want, zoom in to get it accurate making sure you get all the sustain in the selection,
Ctrl+C check Events only,
Select "Snap to Beat"
Set cursor @ bar 251
Ctrl+V check Merge & Events
DeSelect "Snap to Beat"

Copy the next hit you want and repeat the above, if you don't want the hit on a beat don't use Snap

Delete SurfRockDoubleTwo^_165_Style.bt1

Save to wav with original name (drag the new wav back into RB to check it saved correctly)

Remove all the shots in the text file and just add this and save :

Code:
Shot{ My Custom Hits                 },1,251,0,2244,8,90
Shot{ My Custom Hits                 },0,251,0,2244,8,90

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
RB-Custom-Shots.png (399.83 KB, 336 downloads)
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Pipeline, this info is too good to lose. Perhaps make a post in Tips and Tricks?

So what Tip am I posting ? How To Create Custom Drum Shots, Hold, Pushes ? How To Have The Same Consecutive Drum Shot ?

Mus Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
Create a backup copy of SurfRockDoubleTwo^_165_Style.wav(wma)
and SurfRockDoubleTwo^01-Ride,Splsh_165_Style.txt
So set RB to 165bpm then drag SurfRockDoubleTwo^_165_Style.wav in onto the track name,
go to the end of the track and highlight the first hit you want, zoom in to get it accurate making sure you get all the sustain in the selection,
Ctrl+C check Events only,
Select "Snap to Beat"
Set cursor @ bar 251
Ctrl+V check Merge & Events
DeSelect "Snap to Beat"

Copy the next hit you want and repeat the above, if you don't want the hit on a beat don't use Snap

Delete SurfRockDoubleTwo^_165_Style.bt1

Save to wav with original name (drag the new wav back into RB to check it saved correctly)

Remove all the shots in the text file and just add this and save :

Code:
Shot{ My Custom Hits                 },1,251,0,2244,8,90
Shot{ My Custom Hits                 },0,251,0,2244,8,90

Thanks, I shall give that a go!

M

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195