Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#460082 03/02/18 07:35 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I can read music - sort of - I was taught as a child but lost it when I began playing in bands. I can read basic charts, but note durations throw me. As do notes way above or below the stave

I've downloaded BIAB songs from the internet and tried to play along, however, I have a fairly good ear for music and I tend to play what I think "should" be there, as opposed to what is really there. and once I've played it a couple of times I memorise it and I tend to ignore the dots and play what I think is right.

And when I do get a song that I don't know, I have no way of ascertaining if I'm playing it correctly.

Apart from going back to music lessons, can anyone suggest a (perhaps) a program that might assist me?
TIA

Cheers,
Keith
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Keith from Oz
I can read music - sort of - I was taught as a child but lost it when I began playing in bands. I can read basic charts, but note durations throw me. As do notes way above or below the stave
Apart from going back to music lessons, can anyone suggest a (perhaps) a program that might assist me?
TIA

This is not meant to be funny. You can fix it yourself: Practice. Set yourself some targets that are a little out of your comfort zone, and just practice. Isn't that just exactly what the music lessons program is going to do?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Get either a beginners method book for your preferred instrument or a basic music theory book. This will refresh your memory.

After that it's just doing it, the method book should have some easy examples, and then you could go to an intermediate one, or just start finding music to read.

Sight-reading doesn't happen immediately but it comes in time with practice. Sometimes we forget when we were children and struggled with words like cat and hat and dog, but today we can read the majority of what is presented to us without opening a dictionary.

The same thing happens with music. But instead of a dictionary, you have to count it out and play it slowly until it's under your fingers.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
BIAB is the program you need, and already have.

If you enter the melody of the song you don’t know, and play along, you have a good ear and will immediately know when what you play is different.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
I had a lot of trouble with the dots since childhood. Just could not get over it for decades. But in the last 5 years sang in a choir and gradually got familiar with how they work.

Lately I have been going through some old songbooks in simple keys and melodies and playing along with a 25 keyboard. I get about 90% in the first pass, and if its got a tune I like I note it down and go back to rework it later on.

Eventually I hope that I can get sight reading up to an acceptable level, so that I can pick up unknown music and do a reasonable job from the start.

Using: Dell 3268 i3, 8 GB ram, windows 10. Biab version 2017 standard package, no extras.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Don’t forget one of BIAB’s greatest strengths: note entry by mouse. You don’t have to know the duration of notes! BIAB will figure that for you. Just put the note heads in the right place, and add a rest here and there if needed. No other software (and I’ve tried most of them) does this so easily.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This will be of use to those don't know very much music theory: https://www.earmaster.com/music-theory-online/course-introduction.html

Last edited by raymb1; 03/04/18 03:51 AM.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Biab comes with hundreds of public domain folk songs in Midi format. Just open one in notation mode and press play and play along. You can also slow the tempo right down until you get the hang of it and then slowly increase the tempo to full speed.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Remember the old "Every Good Boy Does Fine" for the lines and "FACE" for the spaces thing from your early theory?

For the ledger lines above the staff, note that the top line (F as in Fine) is also the first letter of the spaces mnemonic, FACE. So just add it to the lines mnemonic.

EGBDFACE

Every Good Boy Does Fine At Composing Efforts

That takes you a whole octave off the staff.

And since you know the lines, you also know the spaces are "Line minus 1"

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Asking the question "How can I learn to read music" is the EXACT same question "How to I learn to speak German (or whatever language).

The answers are fairly obvious and it takes about as long to become fluent in music as it does to become fluent in German.

Sight reading a single note melody line is the easiest, adding some harmony is harder, then reading treble clef chords is harder then reading two handed piano music with bass clef in the LH is the hardest.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...

20 odd years ago I was friends with a woman who's a graduate of the Warsaw Conservatory on piano. Talk about being able to read fly specks at 20 feet. I had a transcription of the intro to Be Bop. That tune flies along at a tempo of about 300 or something. I couldn't get the fingering on parts of it so I called her up and faxed it to her. We stayed on the phone until she got it and I told her it was insanely fast. She walks over to her piano, put the phone down and played it. It was perfect, not one clam and in tempo. She said "What's so difficult about that?" I just laughed and said can you give me some fingerings on bars such and such? She did and it helped but I still can't play that intro cleanly.

That's what a high level schooled sight reader can do and it just blew my mind. I thought maybe she would do it slower at least once but oh no it was BAM here it is perfect the first time and in your face.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If you need to translate the dots on the page to the keys on a keyboard and you can try the app “music theory pro” by Joel Cift. I use it on my iPhone, not sure if it is available for Android.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
The book I used recently which made the most sense to me is called the National Song Book. A UK book used in schools. But the songs were selected with the emphasis on rhythmic quality. This helped because I like a beat and a rhythm and the melodies coincided at good rhythmic positions. All of a sudden I was wading through the book at a fine old pace and getting it mostly right.

But at some point you really just need to throw yourself into it and work with yourself the dots and a keyboard. Till you all get along together and it stops being a learning thing and starts to sound like a piece of music.

Using: Dell 3268 i3, 8 GB ram, windows 10. Biab version 2017 standard package, no extras.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
When in school band, the band director taught us, "If you can say it, you can play it".

So we broke down eight notes as "1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &" sixteenths as "1 e & a 2 e & a ..." triplets a "1 a ly ..." and so forth.

Making sure that the 1, 2, 3, 4 were always on the beat (with the help of foot taps to start).

Used in combination when notes are mixed and you can 'say' any rhythm.

So a dotted eighth and sixteenth would be "1 (e & ) a" the (e &) are counted in the head but not said.

Once you can count the rhythms, the only challenge is the pitches and Eddie covered that quite well.

After a while, they both become as automatic as reading the words on a page in your native language.

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
raymb1 #460495 03/04/18 05:11 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: raymb1
This will be of use to those don't know very much music theory: https://www.earmaster.com/music-theory-online/course-introduction.html
Ray, thank you for sharing this site. That's a nice find. I should point out that the site has free interval training in addition to the free music theory link Ray posted.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Jim Fogle #460635 03/05/18 08:12 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Jim. I just hope those who need it will use this free information.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Everyone,
Thank you all for your very helpful suggestions and recommendations; I'll certainly take them all on board.

I guess the common message is practise, practise and practise some more.
I think I need to learn to recognise patterns over a full bar, rather that look at each note/duration separately.

I think I might also try getting BIAB to create a MIDI solo over a chord progression, then mute the solo instrument, and play the chart. I will then be able to see how I fared.

Lots of options, and lots of practice.
Thanks again to everyone.

Cheers,
Keith
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Break down difficult music into small segments, a couple of measures at a time. Most brains learn things better in small chunks.

Here is a trick I use when learning something difficult. Practice it as fast as I can without making a mistake for 2 minutes. Then do something non-musical for 2 minutes. Repeat as needed.

This was suggested to me a long time ago, with some information about the resting phase allowing the brain to 'fortify' the new connections so to speak. I find I learn things quicker that way. Of course YMMV.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I think I need to learn to recognise patterns over a full bar, rather that look at each note/duration separately.

Everyone learns differently, but what you are talking about is the difference between understanding the alphabet versus being able to read words. And then learning to recognize note patterns in chords quickly (and especially when there are very small differences) are akin to understanding the difference between the words there, they're, and their.

Also understanding convention such as the key signature carries through the entire song, unless otherwise modified by accidentals (sharps, flats, naturals), and that all accidentals go away at the next measure (unless tied across from the previous measure), and that an accidental carries forward throughout the current measure so you don't have write it on every note in the measure, or knowing that some sheet music applies an accidental to the applied note and any octave of that note, but some sheet music requires an explicit accidental on each octave of the note.

Like learning the English language, there are the rules and then there are all the exceptions to the rules.

But practice, but also analyzing and cogitating what is happening on the score in front of you, will get you there. And then when you are not sure, just ask for help. As you already know, the folks here are very happy to oblige.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Keith from Oz
TIA

Although you stated this getting music lessons, either on-line or through a teacher, at least to get you going is the best path IMHO. I have taught guitar and bass for many years and I have found that correcting a bad habit takes a lot longer then starting fresh.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,469
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195