You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#460207 - 03/03/18 12:12 PM [Off-Topic] Speaking of red-headed stepchildren…
Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Seems like it is fashionable to hate certain segments of the music business. Right now Behringer, a manufacturer of economical music electronics, is the target of much venom. (In the 70s and 80s it was Peavey.)

It has been my experience that Band in a Box is regarded as the Amway of music software. Using it is looked down upon, sometimes as a form of “cheating.” (Come to think of it, I have gotten that here about Master Writer, a songwriting aid.)

Why have people got to be like that?

Okay, my bourbon-fueled philosophical musing is at an end… cool

Richard

#460210 - 03/03/18 12:19 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Speaking of red-headed stepchildren… [Re: Ryszard]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Ryszard

It has been my experience that Band in a Box is regarded as the Amway of music software. Using it is looked down upon, sometimes as a form of “cheating.”

Maybe for some. But, the band always turns up on time. The drummer keeps tempo nicely and never plays over the top of the others. He also uses brushes when he's supposed to and only changes over the sticks when you actually want him to. And the bass player is never too loud and never loses his place on the chart while he's too busy checking for pretty talent on the audience. Is it cheating to get that? Nah.
BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#460234 - 03/03/18 01:58 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Speaking of red-headed stepchildren… [Re: Ryszard]
Loc: Michigan
ZUrlocker Offline

Loc: Michigan
In the case of Behringer, some of their reputation comes from having had some low-quality products early in their history. I'm not saying that reputation is deserved today, but it's something they occasionally have to overcome. And I think there's also a view among synth players (like guitar players) that the original designs from the early period (think 50's designs, 60s guitars from Fender, Gibson) are the only way to do things and anyone who tries to do something modern or derivative is misguided or worse.

Reminds me of Monty Python's "4 yorkshiremen"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE

#460246 - 03/03/18 02:21 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Speaking of red-headed stepchildren… [Re: Ryszard]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

I agree with ZUrlocker, Behringer suffered early for not only quality, but also a reputation for 'copying'. I had a mixer that was nothing but hiss. However, I now own a Behringer X-Touch control surface, and I think it's great. Others agree, the build quality seems to have improved. Now, about the lack of manuals...

And shall we dare mention newer Gibson guitars?
BIAB 2019 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#460249 - 03/03/18 02:29 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Speaking of red-headed stepchildren… [Re: Matt Finley]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I agree with ZUrlocker, Behringer suffered early for not only quality, but also a reputation for 'copying'. I had a mixer that was nothing but hiss. However, I now own a Behringer X-Touch control surface, and I think it's great. Others agree, the build quality seems to have improved. Now, about the lack of manuals...

And shall we dare mention newer Gibson guitars?

I have a Behringer Eurorack mixer and a headphone amplified hub that I have had for a number of years now and both work perfectly.

Ah lets not mention newer Gibson's ultra expensive and poorly made guitars.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#460250 - 03/03/18 02:34 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Speaking of red-headed stepchildren… [Re: Ryszard]
Loc: Florida
90 dB Offline
Veteran

"In the case of Behringer, some of their reputation comes from having had some low-quality products early in their history."

No, their reputation was earned by ripping off other people's designs.

"In June 1997, Mackie accused Behringer of trademark and trade dress infringement, and brought suit seeking $327M in damages[14][18] but such claims were later rejected by the court. In their suit, Mackie said that Behringer had a history of copying products by other manufacturers and selling them as their own.[19] The Mackie suit detailed an instance, in which Behringer was sued by Aphex Systems for copying the Aural Exciter Type F—in that case Aphex Systems won 690,000 Deutsche Mark.[19] The Mackie suit also mentioned similar cases filed by BBE, dbx and Drawmer.[19] On 30 November 1999, the U.S. District Court in Seattle, Washington, dismissed Mackie claims that Behringer had infringed on Mackie copyrights with its MX 8000 mixer, noting that circuit schematics are not covered by copyright laws.[20][21][22]

In 2005, Roland Corporation sued to enforce Roland's trade dress, trademark, and other intellectual property rights with regard to Behringer's recently released guitar pedals.[23] The two companies came to a confidential settlement in 2006 after Behringer changed their designs.[24]"

Regards,

Bob

Edited by 90 dB (03/03/18 02:34 PM)

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#460265 - 03/03/18 05:25 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Speaking of red-headed stepchildren… [Re: 90 dB]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Behringer’s quality issues were resolved over 10 years ago. Legalities that don’t affect anyone outside of the companies concerned don’t explain the degree of hostility I encounter when I merely mention them. It is as if they were an unpopular politician.

It is the degree of dislike I wonder about, not its origin.

#460267 - 03/03/18 05:36 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Speaking of red-headed stepchildren… [Re: Ryszard]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Ryszard
Behringer’s quality issues were resolved over 10 years ago. Legalities that don’t affect anyone outside of the companies concerned don’t explain the degree of hostility I encounter when I merely mention them. It is as if they were an unpopular politician.

It is the degree of dislike I wonder about, not its origin.

"The Mackie suit detailed an instance, in which Behringer was sued by Aphex Systems for copying the Aural Exciter Type F—in that case Aphex Systems won 690,000 Deutsche Mark.[19] The Mackie suit also mentioned similar cases filed by BBE, dbx and Drawmer.[19] On 30 November 1999, the U.S. District Court in Seattle, Washington, dismissed Mackie claims that Behringer had infringed on Mackie copyrights with its MX 8000 mixer, noting that circuit schematics are not covered by copyright laws.[20][21][22]"

That speaks to the degree of dislike in the Pro Sound community. Don't believe me. Go ask Greg Mackie. grin

Regards,

Bob

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#460272 - 03/03/18 06:28 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Speaking of red-headed stepchildren… [Re: Ryszard]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

I should point out that the problematic Behringer mixer I had was made 16 years ago. I will repeat, I think their quality now is OK.
BIAB 2019 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#460320 - 03/04/18 03:39 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Speaking of red-headed stepchildren… [Re: Matt Finley]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I should point out that the problematic Behringer mixer I had was made 16 years ago. I will repeat, I think their quality now is OK.

I agree. I worked with a band and now a Church that had X32's as well as owned a Behringer X32 digital mixer and it is an awesome mixer and worked flawlessly.

#460343 - 03/04/18 05:16 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Speaking of red-headed stepchildren… [Re: Ryszard]
Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
I've never owned a Behringer product, but a friend of mine has one. He plays at the same place that we do once a week, he has a mixer and powered speaeker. I've got to hear him, and haven't noticed any problems from the audience location, and I've never heard him complain about it.

I remember when musicians all dissed Peavey the same way. I've had some Peavey gear and I think it was all worth the money I spent for it.

Cheating?

I think the only thing that is really cheating in the music biz is auto-tune. I'm sure others will disagree.

Insights and incites by Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#460358 - 03/04/18 06:51 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Speaking of red-headed stepchildren… [Re: Notes Norton]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
Cheating?

I think the only thing that is really cheating in the music biz is auto-tune. I'm sure others will disagree.

Insights and incites by Notes

Although I use auto-tune I agree with you. I think that the worst cheaters are the rap/hip-hop guys that sample other people's music. YMMV

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#460379 - 03/04/18 08:56 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Speaking of red-headed stepchildren… [Re: MarioD]
Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I think that the worst cheaters are the rap/hip-hop guys that sample other people's music. YMMV

Not true Mario. That was going on way back when like the mid 80's or so when rap/hip hop started, everybody gets credit now and has for years.

Bob

#460384 - 03/04/18 09:44 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Speaking of red-headed stepchildren… [Re: jazzmammal]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I think that the worst cheaters are the rap/hip-hop guys that sample other people's music. YMMV

Not true Mario. That was going on way back when like the mid 80's or so when rap/hip hop started, everybody gets credit now and has for years.

Bob

Since I don't keep up with rap/hip-hop I didn't know that. Thanx for setting the records straight.

#460899 - 03/06/18 03:07 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Speaking of red-headed stepchildren… [Re: Ryszard]
Loc: Midwest
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Loc: Midwest
I liken it to just about anything that has done well. All of the companies mentioned seemed to get their worst reputation when they were REALLY growing.

Just like Nickelback, Britney Spears, McDonalds, Walmart. There seems to be a lot of haters...yet they are selling millions and billions anyway. Even Amway. I had to look it up...8 almost 9 billion last year. REALLY? Wow! They don't care that I didn't buy anything from them. They are too busy succeeding without me! lol

Rock on Behringer!

PG Music News
The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

Forum Stats
28436 Members
58 Forums
55248 Topics
460149 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
wetzelbuddyspear, Coskun, sbroach, GEORGES SCHIRO, Yellowkey

28435 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 362
Pipeline 328