You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#458562 - 02/21/18 09:45 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] sonar studio
Mattox Offline
Enthusiast

I have been using sonar for my recording. They have closed their doors. Is their any recommendation for a new recording software that works like Cakewalk and will import the songs I saved in Sonar?

#458567 - 02/21/18 10:00 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: sonar studio [Re: Mattox]
Loc: Pensacola, Florida
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Each DAW stores content in their own proprietary format. There are some folks who tried to write some converters, with limited success. It requires fully understanding the source and target file formats (which are not necessarily published).

There are any number of powerful DAWs, although none will "be" Sonar, as each approach audio creating/editing/mixing/mastering in their own way. If you log onto the Sonar User Forum, you'll see lots of folks discussing what they are doing and how they are handling it (and also a lot of griping about the current state of Cakewalk and Gibson).

While not necessarily endorsing any one product (everyone's workflow is different) many have switched to PreSonus Studio One v3, or Reaper v5, or Magix Samplitude Pro X3, or Cubase, or MixBus. For many of these, you can still find some nice cross-grade offers, but I suspect the further away we get from the demise of Cakewalk, the fewer the offers will be available.

From what I've seen, the best bet is (while you can still use Sonar) is to save each track as a WAV file (even MIDI tracks, assuming you want to preserve the current sound you get). You should also save each project with MIDI as a MIDI file, although you will lose all softsynth and effects settings when you bring it into a new DAW. So, that would mean taking notes about each project so as to re-apply settings and effects you made within the confines of a new DAW after you import the file.

Once you have everything exported, you can import the content into the new DAW, but you'll still have to do do a lot of tweaking once there. Unfortunately, unlike notation with MusicXML, there isn't a common DAW format that you can save/export to and then import in to another DAW. They each do their own thing.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#458570 - 02/21/18 10:15 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: sonar studio [Re: jford]
Mattox Offline
Enthusiast

thank you, looks like I have a lot of work and learning ahead of me

#458647 - 02/21/18 06:08 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: sonar studio [Re: Mattox]
Loc: Goshen, Indiana
Takamine Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Goshen, Indiana
I second what John said. Personnaly, I use PreSonus Studio One as my DAW. I played around with Sonar in the past, like it but never made the switch. I thought the learning curve on Studio One was pretty easy, but nothing compares to Sonar/Cakewalk for handling Midi. If you're interested, you can download Studio One Prime, which is a free version of Studio One, but lacks some of the features and plugins.

Win 10, 64 bit | BIAB 2013 UltraPlusPak

#458655 - 02/21/18 07:04 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: sonar studio [Re: Mattox]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
If you're presently using an older Sonar version what you have will continue to work as good as it has in the past. There is little reason for that to change unless you're computer runs Windows 10 and Microsoft changes the operating system so drastically that the operating system "break" what presently works.

The issue is that what you have will not be updated so new and upcoming features such as VST3 or the midi improvements announced at NAMM 2018 will not be available for use to you.

The suggestion to check out the Cakewalk forum is a wise suggestion. One Cakewalk user is alpha testing a utility program that converts Cakewalk projects to Reaper projects. Information is available about how to download Cakewalk's consumer product, Sonar Home Studio, for free (the same info is available in this forum) and many marketing offers to attract Sonar users.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#458665 - 02/21/18 10:06 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: sonar studio [Re: Mattox]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
I'm about to purchase Studio One.
They were running a deal for Sonar users.
All the best.

https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-One

#458666 - 02/21/18 10:16 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: sonar studio [Re: Mattox]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
I'm an avid Reaper user.

#458704 - 02/22/18 06:55 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: sonar studio [Re: Rob4580]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
I'm about to purchase Studio One.
They were running a deal for Sonar users.
All the best.

https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-One

I went from Splat to Studio One Pro (SO3) and I have no regrets! As you know I work mostly in MIDI and while I do miss the ease of working with MIDI in Splat I can still do a lot of things in SO3. It's not as easy but it still can be done.

SO3 is a lot faster and very stable on my Win 10 system. I have been using it since December and I have never had a crash. The ease of adding MIDI instruments as well as all effects, MIDI and audio, is amazing.

I like SO3 so much that I took Splat off my system. YMMV

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#458733 - 02/22/18 11:12 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: sonar studio [Re: Rob4580]
Loc: New Mexico
Larry Kehl Offline
Veteran

Loc: New Mexico
if you ARE going to buy Studio One and ahven't pulled trigger yet see this thread it will save you about $30

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458330#Post458330

Yes I have bought lots of SW at JRR Shop

Larry

Edited by Larry Kehl (02/22/18 11:12 AM)
Win10Pro64,i78086K,32GB,2TBSSD+20TB HDDs,1080TI,Scarlett18i8,MIDI4x4,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,GR-50,Integra7,XV5080,Fantom-XR,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL20, SO3,MC8,AD2,ST3,Kontakt5,Amptube4,etc.. but I'm really a guitar player;AXE FX III+++

#458979 - 02/23/18 08:56 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: sonar studio [Re: Mattox]
Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Cakewalk was bought today from Gibson

#459446 - 02/27/18 07:50 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: sonar studio [Re: Mattox]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Cakewalk is now going to be a part of Bandlab. What they do with it is yet to be determined.

That said.... your present Cakewalk software will continue to run just fine. I'd suggest, if you haven't already done so, to set up a DAW that is a dedicated machine. Preferably off line so it doesn't get automatic OS updates and patches. I did that years ago and my DAW works as well today as it did the day I installed Sonar on it.

Until the computer itself dies, it should continue to run the same way. And even then, as long as I can get parts I can keep it running. Since I have the OS, I can reinstall that to a new machine w/o any issues, or perhaps it might be time to move up to 64 bits if the machine dies..... and when that happens, I'll have a look around at the market to see what's available.

In the mean time.... do good backup on your data. Always save your songs not only in the cakewalk format but also save the individual track files in a folder as waves. With waves, you can import them into ANY DAW and recreate the project if you need to do so. I tend to find that I rarely need to or want to go back to a project once it's completed.

Save as a cakewalk project, save as the individual track files, and save a clean wave of the finished song.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#461005 - 03/07/18 11:10 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: sonar studio [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

I am going to mostly agree with Herb here but add one thing:

Luckily, I do all my first recordings in Real Band and only mix in Sonar.

I really like Real Band for recording audio. I think it is easy, easy top work with, easy to edit in, clean, and never clips. I don't see why people are so harsh about it. I love Real Band.

Then, when I have everything, I export all to individual files.

So, no matter what happens with any DAW, I will always have those master files of each track.

For effects, I have a folder with presets for almost every VST I use so in a worst case scenario, I could start any song over in any DAW and be done in an hour, or heck, mix it in Real Band.

The world won't stop because Sonar went out of business, and I will still use it as long as I can.

I will cry for a little while though if it crashes and never comes back, because I love the interface.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#461039 - 03/07/18 04:44 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: sonar studio [Re: Jim Fogle]
Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Teunis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle

The suggestion to check out the Cakewalk forum is a wise suggestion. One Cakewalk user is alpha testing a utility program that converts Cakewalk projects to Reaper projects. Information is available about how to download Cakewalk's consumer product, Sonar Home Studio, for free (the same info is available in this forum) and many marketing offers to attract Sonar users.

I have been playing around with Reaper for several weeks now. Whilst I still prefer some things in Sonar there are many things Reaper does better. For example, Reaper makes slicing audio then moving or deleting parts and putting the audio back together much easier than Sonar. Reaper makes varying tempo easier.

As Jim said there is work on opening CakeWalk CWP in Reaper using ReaCWP. This does work fairly well but obviously there are issues with CakeWalk only VSTs but in general it seems to work pretty well.

My two bobs worth and personal experiences.

Tony

Edited by Teunis (03/07/18 04:46 PM)

#461052 - 03/07/18 06:55 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: sonar studio [Re: Teunis]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

There's just so much you can do with Reaper with scripts and actions. https://reapack.com/
Like I can import Biab musicXML then extract the chords from it to Regions, Markers or Text Items, what other DAW can you do that in ? Rather than going to the wishing well and waiting years you just create what feature you need.

PG Music News
Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

NEW! Style-style-style Additions and Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

With over 64 new features and enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019, we've made sure to add to, enhance, and update some of the Style features within the program: StylePicker, StyleMaker, and Song Titles browser within the StylePicker!

StylePicker Enhancements:
-If the style list needs rebuild, it tells you that within the StylePicker, instead of a message that requires a response.
-The rebuild is faster than before by 75%. It takes 1/4 of the time now.
-While the style list is being rebuilt, you can see the progress inside the StylePicker.
-The style list can be filtered by a specific RealTracks/RealDrums/MIDI SuperTracks or RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks in a certain number range.
-You can filter the style list by a specific Xtra Styles PAK.
-The dialog to select an Xtra Styles PAK has a button to take you to the PG Music website that shows information about Xtra Styles PAKs.
-The StylePicker can list all styles (including N/A styles) in the default display.
-The Set number display is improved, including sort by type and Xtra styles.

StyleMaker Improvements:

-The new MIDI velocity offset allows you to make styles with altered loudness for MIDI tracks.
-Styles can be saved with information like a memo, examples, genres, and more, which will be displayed in the StylePicker.
-You can import information from another style. This is useful when you are making a similar style.
-A style can have a huge number of RealTracks (up to 70!) because the StyleMaker now supports RealTracks multi/medley feature, which allows a single track to have up to 10 simultaneous playing of RealTracks.

Song Titles Browser Enhancement

-We’ve added 300 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now over 10,600 titles.
-The chord density filter is available, and it’s also displayed in the memo.
-The chord complexity filter is available.

Review all the new features of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 here.

NEW! Traditional Celtic Tunes with Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you can add the 49-PAK to your order for just $49!

Among the great Add-ons included in the 49-PAK is our Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly, which includes 18 traditional Celtic tunes! You'll find beautifully performed songs like Boys of Bluehill, The Cliffs of Moher, Harvest Home, Rolling in the Rye Glass, and more!

The Celtic RealTracks backing up performances by Geoff Kelly sound amazing, and so do the duets with previous Artist Performance musician Daniel Lapp (on fiddle)! Listen to all the demos for these Artists Performances near the bottom of our Bonus PAKs page, here.

Here's a taste: Demo: Rolling in the Rye Grass

The Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Bonus PAKs!

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you'll receive a FREE Bonus PAK overflowing with great Add-ons, including MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses with 6 MIDI SuperTracks, 21 RealDrums Transcriptions, 120 guitar licks and riffs in Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks, and 15 new MIDI Styles!

Or, upgrade it to the 49-PAK for just $49 and you'll add 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" & Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, 6 more MIDI SuperTracks with Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion, 120 more guitar licks and riffs with Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks, 15 more MIDI Styles, and Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly!

Watch the video highlighting our 49-PAK here, or listen to demos and learn more here.

Free Bonus PAK Contents:
-Look Ma! More MIDI 1
-21 RealDrums Transcriptions
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses
-Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks

2019 49-PAK Contents:
-40 Bonus RealTracks!
-10 "Low Man" and Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks
-Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly
-Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks
-Look Ma! More MIDI 2
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes!

Get to know the new Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows with our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes! video: Click here to watch...

Forum Stats
28403 Members
58 Forums
55135 Topics
459162 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Jurassic, Derek Deatherage, otcpub, MhH, jojolapraline

28403 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 329
Pipeline 309