Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Now there’s a calm and specific request I can support. I don’t use the piano roll editor so I don’t miss it, but if I did I would feel as you do.

+1

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
And I'm still scratching my head over that pointlessly vague "some users" remark, let alone the "snarky" bit... smirk

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Icelander
And I'm still scratching my head over that pointlessly vague "some users" remark, let alone the "snarky" bit... smirk

Well, you obviously failed to show the proper reverence for the software! Heretic! laugh

It is also curious that anyone would claim that the BIAB Mac version has features that the BIAB PC version doesn't have and that those "features" are...wait for it...that the Mac is a better platform than the PC! smile Oh and Garageband.

Full disclosure...I am a PC man. I've had Macs. They are clearly better. Always have been. But I am cheap and PCs have always been more popular so I have more options.

Would this be the right time to again suggest we need a 64-bit common version of BIAB for both PC and Mac? Same features. Same functions. (But not the same bugs; the Mac folks can keep those!!)

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 03/09/18 08:40 AM.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
hehehe, that whole post is just bloody brilliant from start to finish! grin

Thanks for that, Mr. John, you just made my day cool

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
N
Journeyman
Journeyman
N
<The main thing I miss is the Piano Roll Editor, you get so used to it using in the Win version so when you are on the Mac you go looking for it then remember, oh no that's right..>

ME TOO!

Its time there was parity. I can't think of a single other pro-audio software developer which sells to both PC and Mac markets and yet has - for decades had a policy of non-parity and eschews aiming for an exact parity and GUI look and feel match between platforms.

For heavens sake... there's even legacy GUi code in the Mac version that has been around since the Atari ST!.. And looks like it.

I mean ... seriously folks ! I love BIAB - but jeez! sheesh!

Last edited by nonchai; 04/03/18 12:21 PM.

Big Sur, Mac Mini i7 2018, 64GB RAM 2TB SSD
Yamaha PSR SX 900, Cubase, Ableton, UNIFY, OPUS ORCHESTRATOR, MASCHINE, Vienna Ensemble Pro ,Audiofuse, L6 HELI, KOMPLETE, Komplete Kontrol 88
Lockdown beard, podgy face, beer belly, bald patch ... yadda yadda
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
I
Expert
Expert
I
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

Well, you obviously failed to show the proper reverence for the software! Heretic! laugh

It is also curious that anyone would claim that the BIAB Mac version has features that the BIAB PC version doesn't have and that those "features" are...wait for it...that the Mac is a better platform than the PC! smile Oh and Garageband.

Full disclosure...I am a PC man. I've had Macs. They are clearly better. Always have been. But I am cheap and PCs have always been more popular so I have more options.

Would this be the right time to again suggest we need a 64-bit common version of BIAB for both PC and Mac? Same features. Same functions. (But not the same bugs; the Mac folks can keep those!!)

What bugs?

Computer: Macbook Pro, 16 inch 2021
DAWs: Pro Tools, Logic, and Maschine
plays drums, percussion, bass, steel pan, keyboard,
music producer/engineer
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Good idea Jim.
Also it would help Windows Users know how to support or recommend ideas to Mac users, by ensuring the feature exists before suggestion options.
+1

+1

I've jumped in to help someone only to find out that they have the Mac version and none of my suggestion would apply to Mac.

That led to my suggestion of a template for questions which would include version ( Windows or Mac ); Build number; System RAM; Exact computer details; all other details that could affect the problem. The same questions that Tech Support would ask/need to solve problems. This could be a template that users would fill out before posting a question/problem. It would save everyone time and frustration in the long run.

I don't read notation very well but with the piano roll mode I can drag things around and edit the music by ear. That's another vote for the Windows version.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
I
Expert
Expert
I
Icelander is brigging up the main two points I am trying to make. First, the fact that Macs have GarageBand is irrelevant to BIAB, RealBand or Powertracks as GaragBand is in now way similar to BIAB, RealBand or Powertracks. Second, the Mac version always lacks a lot of the features the PC version does and PG Music won't tell you that. A perfect example of this is the Jukebox. In the PC version, you can use it to create setlists of songs you made to perform live. It would seem like to no brainer to put that in the Mac version, but it's not there. Anyways, that's not the point.

My point is that I want to see PG Music be transparent. I should be able download a PDF explicitly layingout what bother versions offer to their commonalities and their differences. I want to know why RealBand or Powertracks has never been made for the Mac, or how the new Mac version comparies to the Windows version realesed six months before it. I should have been told when deciding on BIAB that the Mac version wasn't going to have all the features of the PC or have RealBand or Poertracks. That's all.

P.S. I've gotton off of the PC loving BIAB rant.

music producer/engineer
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
I
Expert
Expert
I
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
[quote=Matt Finley]Don't forget, there have been one or two features in the Mac version that the PC version did not have.
Oh really?! shocked
If you'll excuse me, but I don't think for a second you'll be able to back that statement up.
C'mon, I'll make it easier for you - Since you said "one or two", how about you name just two, then? No wait, I'll make it even easier for you - Name ONE! wink
i13 by Peter Gannon.

Also, the Mac version is much simpler in terms of audio. There are no issues with latency, or drivers. There is built-in MIDI on the Mac, and it syncs up automatically with the audio. On the Windows side, there are drivers to pick, and latency issues (making it difficult to play along), and ASIO driver problems etc.

Look at all the problems in the PC version threads and you'll see the beauty of not having to answer questions on these two subjects.

So why isn't PG Music capitalizing on the Mac's advantages when it comes to dealing with audio? That quote by Peter proves that RealBand and Powertrack what did be more efficient in the Mac OS.

music producer/engineer
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Sorry to resurrect this dated post, but wanted to point out that I (and probably others) have wasted 1+ hours to first find that some useful BIAB features can be controlled wIt’s a QWERTY keyboard or foot switches (via Conductor window), but that those capabilities do not exist in the MAC version.
It would be really nice, in fact very helpful, if the PC/MAC version differences would be documented somewhere. I might say, that even a clearly visible note stating that there are differences and how to discover them would have been already very helpful.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MartinDorr
It would be really nice, in fact very helpful, if the PC/MAC version differences would be documented somewhere.
It would be even more helpful if these differences would be eliminated altogether! smirk

Oh, and don't be "sorry", you're keeping the kindle lit on an issue that clearly is very much still present.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I agree, it would be nice if the differences were completely eliminated, with the understanding that there are differences in how the two platforms handle audio.

One of the earlier posts in this thread asked about 64-bit, and that has been accomplished. As part of that project, I recall it was explained to us that the same code base is now used for both Windows and Mac. Why there would then be any feature differences remaining, is a good question. But at least it has resulted in the Mac version arriving much faster after the Windows version than it used to.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
The missing Conductor is particular surprising to me given that there are other QWERTY keyboard input dependent features available and there seems to be no other system interface dependency. It looks almost like the SW developer did forget to remove #ifdefs in code that are no longer needed.
As somebody who is just considering to up/cross-grade to the latest version it is puzzling how different the BIAB Windows menu is between the PC and MAC Version considering the 2 versions are apparently built from the same source base. There are quite a few entries in the PC version that do not exist in the MAC, but also the other way around.
Maybe the missing feature entries in the PC version are accessible through other means. A PC version owner may want to check whether they can really do everything the MAC version can do ...

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Definitely agree that the best outcome is to have no functionality differences, however, while there are, a comparison chart could be beneficial for users looking for availability of features.

+1

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Bump

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Operating System Compatibility
JUCE is a cross platform framework allowing a single codebase to compile to native applications and plug-ins with the same user experience on Windows, macOS, Linux...

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195