Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Mus Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Pipeline

Type of shot
The type of shot needs to be either 0 or 1. If 0 is entered, the shot will be used when chords are entered with two periods (shot) or three periods (hold). If 1 is entered, the shot will be used when chords are entered with two or three carets before them (8th & 16th note pushes).

OK, that's some great info. I'll have to get used to editing and snappping to bars in RealBand to finish experimenting with this but I can see what is possible.

Bit of a disappointment that Shots and Holds can't be distinguished from one another.

Next step is what if you want a lead in fill to the next bar? Or is this getting too much to ask? :-)

Thanks
M

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Put a part maker on the next bar then bring the drums in only on beat 3 of the previous bar C.d then put the next chord where you want the instruments to come back in C or bring the bass in next with the drums C.bd then all C

That's where a custom shot RealDrum comes in handy

SurfRockDoubleTwo^01-Ride,Splsh
SurfRockDoubleTwo^02-Ride,HiHat
SurfRockDoubleTwo^03-Splsh,HHat
SurfRockDoubleTwo^04-Custom Shot,1
SurfRockDoubleTwo^05-Custom Shot,2
SurfRockDoubleTwo^06-Custom Shot,3
SurfRockDoubleTwo^07-Custom Hold,1
SurfRockDoubleTwo^08-Custom Hold,2
SurfRockDoubleTwo^09-Custom Hold,3
SurfRockDoubleTwo^10-Custom Push,1
SurfRockDoubleTwo^11-Custom Push,2
SurfRockDoubleTwo^12-Custom Push,3

or you can make a generic one for all RealDrums

DrumShots^01-Custom Shot,1
DrumShots^02-Custom Shot,2
DrumShots^03-Custom Shot,3
DrumShots^04-Custom Hold,1
DrumShots^05-Custom Hold,2
DrumShots^06-Custom Hold,3
DrumShots^07-Custom Push,1
DrumShots^08-Custom Push,2
DrumShots^09-Custom Push,3
then use F5 to change to the RealDrum Shot you need

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: Mus

Type of shot
The type of shot needs to be either 0 or 1. If 0 is entered, the shot will be used when chords are entered with two periods (shot) or three periods (hold). If 1 is entered, the shot will be used when chords are entered with two or three carets before them (8th & 16th note pushes).

OK, that's some great info. I'll have to get used to editing and snappping to bars in RealBand to finish experimenting with this but I can see what is possible.

Bit of a disappointment that Shots and Holds can't be distinguished from one another.

Next step is what if you want a lead in fill to the next bar? Or is this getting too much to ask? :-)

Thanks
M

Let me know how that works for you, if it works good I'll put it in the Tips n Tracks section as Matt suggested.

Veteran
Veteran
One minor correction is that pushes only use one or two carets (not two or three). One caret for an eighth note push and two carets for a sixteenth note push.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Mus Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice

Let me know how that works for you, if it works good I'll put it in the Tips n Tracks section as Matt suggested.

Will do, might be a while until I get a chunk of time to do it as I'm quite busy at the moment. Thank you for the pointers :-)

Perhaps PG could be looking at making this automatically easier too?

Cheers
M

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: jford
One minor correction is that pushes only use one or two carets (not two or three). One caret for an eighth note push and two carets for a sixteenth note push.

Yes I noticed that, PG will have to correct that on the webpage, it maybe in the manual also.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P

Cheers
M

Yes, but not sure how they would do it as each RealDrums has different shots at the end, some have just a few and some a lot of different ones, there's not a standard reference.
RealBand you can highlight the beat/bar/s and regenerate until you get what you need, but BB you have to regenerate the whole track.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Here's another option Custom RealDrum Solos\Hits Mac\Win you can also create an SFZ instrument from the same realdrums and use it in Sforzando VSTi on the midi track you can mute the realdrums on the bar/s with the shots/holds then add the midi notes you need in the piano roll on the bar/s that you need the custom shots/holds, then un-mute the realdrums after the shots/holds.

You can try it first with the PG Library in Sforzando > Drums > Rock Kit.

1. Use F5 to mute the drum track where the shots are.

2. Load Sforzando vst into a midi track.

3. In the Piano Roll view in the same midi track, hold the shift+ctrl and draw in a note, move the note up/down until you get the hit you want (make sure you have ASIO or MME Always On in the Driver Settings), draw in more notes if need be.

4. Use F5 to un-mute the drum track after the shots.

You never know the Rock Kit may be the same kit the surf drums were recorded on in the PG studio. You have some FX in the Sforzando GUI to adjust the sound to match the RealDrums or you can add some FX after Sforzando. You can copy and paste the midi shots if you need them again.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB-SFZ-Shots.png (363.34 KB, 309 downloads)
Mus Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Here's another option...

OK thanks, I'll investigate when I have time :-)

Mus Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice

Cheers
M

Yes, but not sure how they would do it as each RealDrums has different shots at the end, some have just a few and some a lot of different ones, there's not a standard reference.
RealBand you can highlight the beat/bar/s and regenerate until you get what you need, but BB you have to regenerate the whole track.

I think that PG should do the work you have suggested, instead of us, by merging the various kit sounds in some extra shots and holds at the end of the RealDrums files so that the shots and holds generate sounding like, um, 'real drums'... ;-)

BIAB would use these and the single hits would still be useful for those that have the time, inclination and technical nous to customise.

I think this is a bug that has been around since the beginning of RealDrums and I would class as a definite design fault.

I think you have generously and expertly provided them with some most excellent technical re-design suggestions, Pipeline :-)

M

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I have suggested fixes and improvements to give more control of realdrums for years n years n years but there is usually a ten year delay until PG catches on to things.
That's why I'm always having to find work arounds for so many things.

Mus Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I have suggested fixes and improvements to give more control of realdrums for years n years n years but there is usually a ten year delay until PG catches on to things.
That's why I'm always having to find work arounds for so many things.

Every year I always ask how many GB of extra RealTracks will be sold in the yearly update without the basics being fixed.

Grateful that you at least provide these detailed workarounds, so well documented :-)

M

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
This will give you just a few of the possible options.
Put these folders in your X:\bb\Drums\SurfRockDoubleTwo^

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yb7ficwz8nj1wj9/SurfRockDoubleTwo%5E01-Extra.zip?dl=1

Create a backup 1st then paste this over all the C:\bb\Drums\SurfRockDoubleTwo^ text
in X:\bb\Data\PGALLDrumFolderNames.txt (2018)
X:\bb\PGALLDrumFolderNames.txt (2017)
Code:
C:\bb\Drums\SurfRockDoubleTwo^\SurfRockDoubleTwo^01-Ride,Splsh
C:\bb\Drums\SurfRockDoubleTwo^\SurfRockDoubleTwo^01-Ride-SK,Splsh-SK
C:\bb\Drums\SurfRockDoubleTwo^\SurfRockDoubleTwo^01-Ride-SS,Splsh-SS
C:\bb\Drums\SurfRockDoubleTwo^\SurfRockDoubleTwo^01-Ride-ST1,Splsh-ST1
C:\bb\Drums\SurfRockDoubleTwo^\SurfRockDoubleTwo^02-Ride,HiHat
C:\bb\Drums\SurfRockDoubleTwo^\SurfRockDoubleTwo^03-Splsh,HHat

In the RealDrum Picker > Rebuild > then choose Shot=Kick or Shot=Snare or Shot=Tom1
you can create many different ones with one type for a shot/hold and another for a push. The above demos just uses the same for push/shot/hold.
More can be added to 01 02 03
But to have combined hits the wav file will need to be edited.

Memos can be added to RDPGMemos.txt and info to DrumGrooveNames.txt

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB-SurfRockD2.png (24.43 KB, 284 downloads)
BB-SurfRockD2-Picker.png (133.08 KB, 283 downloads)
Last edited by Pipeline; 03/11/18 07:37 PM.
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Dead fish slap?
Must be a half rotten octopus then ..

For PipeLine: Done, Mr PipeLine, hats off & thanks, it works; behold, you're my man!
But to find time to get a grip on this editing work's hows and wheres is a bit beyond my capabilities.

General PS: This is maybe why PG's BIAB is such a success, just like Windows; they leave a lot of client addressable open ends & unfinished business to fix. So every one jumps in to help out, and IMO with PG stuff quite acceptable, as their pricing is really fair. Maybe here's some business for f.i. you or Bob Norton? - F

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Just open up the text file inside the different shot folders then scroll to the bottom and you will see all shots are removed but the one being used.
The first one still has all the shots at the end of the text file so using that drum you will get random shots.
The one with 0 in front is used for shots n holds C.. C...
the one with 1 in front is used for the pushes ^C ^^C

So you can just make a copy of the first folder and rename it to the name of the shot and also rename the text file inside to the same name prefix.
Then just go down to the bottom of the text file and delete the shots you don't want, if the shot has a ; in front remove it to use it.
You can have the same shot for shots/holds and pushes or different just choose the 2 you want to use, one with 0 in front(shot/hold) and one with 1 in front(push).

K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
K
I have the same problem pretty much universally with holds and shots in all real styles. (Several friends do as well)
It seems like the “natural decay” and natural sounding holds in general should be the programs default and something more intrinsic is causing this syndrome- in fact one of the PG music folks uploaded some holds in an example using the same style I was- with a great sounding result out of the box. His all sounded like they should without a bunch of tweaking, weighting or re-building the style. Bass and drums seem to be the big issue. Maybe some master setting about ticks or somethin?
It’s hard to imagine that this isn’t a FAQ or a have been dealt with, as ubiquitous as it seems to be for some of us. There must be an easy answer.
It’s been maddening for years trying to find it for me though. (Otherwise I love the program so much!)

Last edited by karnak; 08/29/22 10:40 AM.
K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
K
Had you substituted (replaced) any tracks (particularly drums) for those originally in the style? I just discovered that was causing my ‘damp squibs’.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,487
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195