You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#385722 - 12/22/16 01:06 PM [Beginners Forum] Compressor Basics For RealBand / Band-in-a-Box / PowerTracks
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Online   happy
Veteran

A compressor levels volume and is an essential tool. PG Music provides a very good compressor that can be used during recording, mixing or mastering. The link below provides some guidelines to using PG Music's compressor:

++ PG Music's Compressor Guidelines ++
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#386332 - 12/25/16 11:24 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Compressor Basics For RealBand / Band-in-a-Box / PowerTracks [Re: Jim Fogle]
railway mark Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing this, Jim! In my time dabbling with RealBand, I didn't realize that it included an upward compressor. They're nice for leveling things out so that you don't feel like you have to "grab a fader" and also help to bring out detail.

It's interesting that "sensible" software designers tend to err on the side of transparency and moderation with it comes to compression. The SAWStudio DAW includes a look-ahead compressor so good that you don't even knows it's there when it's running: it just evens out the mix beautifully. It sounds like PG Music took a similar approach when integrating compression.

Edited by railway mark (12/25/16 11:25 AM)

#430056 - 09/17/17 08:30 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Compressor Basics For RealBand / Band-in-a-Box / PowerTracks [Re: Jim Fogle]
Loc: West Virginia
Warren Keller Offline
Apprentice

Jim, Why are the Threshold and Ratio knobs linked? I'm trying to use the PG Dynamics Compressor as the article describes, but as I lower threshold to only affect the quiet parts of the solo, the ratio changes too, and vice versa. I needed a 2.5:1 'Ratio' to boost the weak beginning, and the 'Threshold' came up to -35 dB. That being said, it seemed to achieve the result I wanted, with the soft parts getting louder and the loud parts not getting louder. Thanks!

Edited by Warren Keller (09/17/17 08:40 AM)

Warren A. Keller- Woodwindist, Writer, Singer

"I have my ship and all her flags are a-flyin'
She is all that I have left and music is her name"

#430058 - 09/17/17 08:41 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Compressor Basics For RealBand / Band-in-a-Box / PowerTracks [Re: Jim Fogle]
Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

Warren, I don't see that happening, have you loaded a certain preset to observe this?

I do sometimes see the Output Gain dial move, but only if I have the AutoGain check box enabled.
I do not recall seeing the Ratio knob move.
Then again I'm old and may have forgot!

#430118 - 09/17/17 06:34 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Compressor Basics For RealBand / Band-in-a-Box / PowerTracks [Re: Warren Keller]
Jim Fogle Online   happy
Veteran

Warren,

As Rharv stated the Output Gain knob should not move unless the Auto Gain checkbox is checked. When the Auto Gain checkbox is checked the Output Gain knob will move as the compressor Ratio and Threshold knobs are adjusted.

Auto Gain adjusts the Output Gain knob to keep the output level at an approximate good level.

This action is explained in the Help file opened when the question mark button is depressed.

Attachments
dynamics.jpg

i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#430120 - 09/17/17 07:00 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Compressor Basics For RealBand / Band-in-a-Box / PowerTracks [Re: Jim Fogle]
Warren Keller Offline
Apprentice

Ahh, guys, I used the 'Audio Effects/Compressor' rather than the 'PG Dynamics' plugin. I'd generally stick with a plugin, but since the track had so much disparity, I wanted to apply/fix rather than depend on the plugin later. At any rate, it's the 'Audio Effects' Compressor that was exhibiting that behavior, with the two knobs working in conjunction.

I got the feeling it was an upwards compressor, while the plugin is a downward compressor, is that right?

And one more thing guys, I can open Help directly from the menu, but clicking any of the '?' or "Help' in a dialog, takes me out to a Microsoft website with error. Anyone know why? This happened both when I was running RB from the external drive, and now that I'm running from the C drive. Thanks guys!

#430124 - 09/17/17 07:43 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Compressor Basics For RealBand / Band-in-a-Box / PowerTracks [Re: Warren Keller]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Warren Keller
...And one more thing guys, I can open Help directly from the menu, but clicking any of the '?' or "Help' in a dialog, takes me out to a Microsoft website with error. Anyone know why? ...

1: What exactly is the Microsoft error message?

2: Can you provide a sample of the steps that you took to get to the '?' or 'Help' in a dialog?

Presumably, this Help button is the one that works:

Attachments
2017-09-18_12-37-09.jpg

BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#430143 - 09/18/17 12:47 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Compressor Basics For RealBand / Band-in-a-Box / PowerTracks [Re: Jim Fogle]
Loc: Pensacola, Florida
jford Offline
Veteran

My guess is that those are the old format help files that Microsoft no longer supports. You used to be able to apply a special patch in Windows 7 and Windows 8 to use those help files, but Microsoft dropped support completely from Windows 10 (no patch available). If you are running Windows 7 or 8, PM me and I can send you the patch file.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#430144 - 09/18/17 01:37 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Compressor Basics For RealBand / Band-in-a-Box / PowerTracks [Re: jford]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Good point John, I think you're on the money. Without knowing what version the O/P is running makes it hard to guess.
BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#430175 - 09/18/17 08:07 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Compressor Basics For RealBand / Band-in-a-Box / PowerTracks [Re: Jim Fogle]
jford Offline
Veteran

And if that's the case, those files need to be updated accordingly to support Windows 10 going forward.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#430187 - 09/18/17 08:31 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Compressor Basics For RealBand / Band-in-a-Box / PowerTracks [Re: Jim Fogle]
Warren Keller Offline
Apprentice

Right, the help drop-down menu takes me to the help file no problem. But again, if I click the question mark or help buttons within dialog boxes it takes me out to the web to a Microsoft support page- "Error opening help in Windows-based programs feature not included or help not supported." It goes on to say that it's not supported in Windows 10 and that developers shouldn't rely on .hlp files and rather to transition to CHM, HTML, or XML.

Let's get back to those compressor questions when you get time. :>) Thanks!

Edited by Warren Keller (09/18/17 08:48 AM)

#430226 - 09/18/17 02:16 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Compressor Basics For RealBand / Band-in-a-Box / PowerTracks [Re: Jim Fogle]
rharv Offline
Veteran

From the manual -

The PG Dynamics compressor is a downward compressor with make-up gain.
A downward compressor works by making loud signals softer. After loud passages have been made quieter by the
compressor, you can apply make-up gain to raise the final audio level.

If I recall, you are correct that the hard write Compressor is upwards.

From searching help and looking at the hard written effects section:
The RealBand compressor is an upward compressor. An upward compressor works by making quiet signals louder.

So you reached the correct conclusions

#462001 - 03/13/18 03:28 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Compressor Basics For RealBand / Band-in-a-Box / PowerTracks [Re: Jim Fogle]
Warren Keller Offline
Apprentice

I'd think that upwards compressors are the noisier of the two, pushing weaker signal to match stronger? I finally have a pretty good handle on the real-time downwards plugin! Anyone care to say more about the Expander/Gate and its settings? Thanks!

#462014 - 03/13/18 04:08 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Compressor Basics For RealBand / Band-in-a-Box / PowerTracks [Re: Jim Fogle]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Expander/Gate needs to be listened to in SOLO mode.
Sometimes you may not really notice in a mix when it is cutting out some sound and making it un-natural .. until later.

I avoid any Expander/Gate use whenever possible (disable).

It has a very defined use.
Mostly used in rare audio editing that is non music related for me (cleaning poor recordings, like removing background noise from a conversation recorded in a vehicle for example), or even more rare, when inverting a signal to cancel other noise.

Gates can be nice in live settings, but really shouldn't be needed much in a studio setting. IMHO

Edited by rharv (03/13/18 04:09 PM)

#462165 - 03/14/18 03:10 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Compressor Basics For RealBand / Band-in-a-Box / PowerTracks [Re: Jim Fogle]
Loc: South Australia
wish Offline
Apprentice

Loc: South Australia
Thanks Jim for the thread.
Should we use a compressor for backing tracks with no vocals?
I use Audacity to normalise and another program (MP3..something?) to try and get the volumes all the same.
Thanks
Windows10,INTEL CORE i3-330M Processor 2.13GHz 64bit
Coyote Forte DXi
JBL Eon speaker, Allen and Heath Mixer, TC HELICON Voice Solo
Vocalist Live 5, TC Helicon Play Acoustic Maton acoustic guitar, Onsong

#462168 - 03/14/18 03:48 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Compressor Basics For RealBand / Band-in-a-Box / PowerTracks [Re: Warren Keller]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Warren Keller
I'd think that upwards compressors are the noisier of the two, pushing weaker signal to match stronger? I finally have a pretty good handle on the real-time downwards plugin! Anyone care to say more about the Expander/Gate and its settings? Thanks!

When a downward compressor limits the sound there is also a gain dial to bring the volume back up (to compensate for lost volume).
What do you think happens to the noise floor once you start pushing the gain up on a noise level that has not been compressed? It goes up too .. just sayin'.
A compressor isn't about noise removal, that should already have happened with gain staging and signal routing.
Unless you got handed noisy tracks to work with, there's usually no reason to have them. <grin>
The gate/expander is meant to help condition the sound pre-compressor, but when used together with the compressor right after, the settings between the two can be tricky, you have to listen close so you don't cause some un-natural or sterile sound. Too much Gate making the compressor choppy, weirdness like that.
And every track will be different, so it's hard to recommend any settings. Try some presets. See what gets close then tinker with it.

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28441 Members
58 Forums
55262 Topics
460297 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
asdlz, Corrie, BBMaestro, Nightmare, truffaldino

28441 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 363
Pipeline 328