Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
A compressor levels volume and is an essential tool. PG Music provides a very good compressor that can be used during recording, mixing or mastering. The link below provides some guidelines to using PG Music's compressor:

++ PG Music's Compressor Guidelines ++

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing this, Jim! In my time dabbling with RealBand, I didn't realize that it included an upward compressor. They're nice for leveling things out so that you don't feel like you have to "grab a fader" and also help to bring out detail.

It's interesting that "sensible" software designers tend to err on the side of transparency and moderation with it comes to compression. The SAWStudio DAW includes a look-ahead compressor so good that you don't even knows it's there when it's running: it just evens out the mix beautifully. It sounds like PG Music took a similar approach when integrating compression.

Last edited by railway mark; 12/25/16 09:25 AM.

Mark
2020 BIAB Audiophile, Mixcraft Pro 9
Band: http://www.midwesternlull.com
Beginners Forum
Apprentice
Apprentice
Jim, Why are the Threshold and Ratio knobs linked? I'm trying to use the PG Dynamics Compressor as the article describes, but as I lower threshold to only affect the quiet parts of the solo, the ratio changes too, and vice versa. I needed a 2.5:1 'Ratio' to boost the weak beginning, and the 'Threshold' came up to -35 dB. That being said, it seemed to achieve the result I wanted, with the soft parts getting louder and the loud parts not getting louder. Thanks!

Last edited by Warren Keller; 09/17/17 05:40 AM.

Best, Warren

Warren A. Keller- Woodwindist/Producer
Spontaneous Groovin' Combustion
Tune 9 Music- SESAC
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Warren, I don't see that happening, have you loaded a certain preset to observe this?

I do sometimes see the Output Gain dial move, but only if I have the AutoGain check box enabled.
I do not recall seeing the Ratio knob move.
Then again I'm old and may have forgot!

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Warren,

As Rharv stated the Output Gain knob should not move unless the Auto Gain checkbox is checked. When the Auto Gain checkbox is checked the Output Gain knob will move as the compressor Ratio and Threshold knobs are adjusted.

Auto Gain adjusts the Output Gain knob to keep the output level at an approximate good level.

This action is explained in the Help file opened when the question mark button is depressed.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
dynamics.jpg (52.39 KB, 125 downloads)

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
Apprentice
Apprentice
Ahh, guys, I used the 'Audio Effects/Compressor' rather than the 'PG Dynamics' plugin. I'd generally stick with a plugin, but since the track had so much disparity, I wanted to apply/fix rather than depend on the plugin later. At any rate, it's the 'Audio Effects' Compressor that was exhibiting that behavior, with the two knobs working in conjunction.

I got the feeling it was an upwards compressor, while the plugin is a downward compressor, is that right?

And one more thing guys, I can open Help directly from the menu, but clicking any of the '?' or "Help' in a dialog, takes me out to a Microsoft website with error. Anyone know why? This happened both when I was running RB from the external drive, and now that I'm running from the C drive. Thanks guys!

Best, Warren

Tune 9 Music- SESAC
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Warren Keller
...And one more thing guys, I can open Help directly from the menu, but clicking any of the '?' or "Help' in a dialog, takes me out to a Microsoft website with error. Anyone know why? ...

1: What exactly is the Microsoft error message?

2: Can you provide a sample of the steps that you took to get to the '?' or 'Help' in a dialog?

Presumably, this Help button is the one that works:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2017-09-18_12-37-09.jpg (44.44 KB, 120 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
My guess is that those are the old format help files that Microsoft no longer supports. You used to be able to apply a special patch in Windows 7 and Windows 8 to use those help files, but Microsoft dropped support completely from Windows 10 (no patch available). If you are running Windows 7 or 8, PM me and I can send you the patch file.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Good point John, I think you're on the money. Without knowing what version the O/P is running makes it hard to guess.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
And if that's the case, those files need to be updated accordingly to support Windows 10 going forward.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Beginners Forum
Apprentice
Apprentice
Right, the help drop-down menu takes me to the help file no problem. But again, if I click the question mark or help buttons within dialog boxes it takes me out to the web to a Microsoft support page- "Error opening help in Windows-based programs feature not included or help not supported." It goes on to say that it's not supported in Windows 10 and that developers shouldn't rely on .hlp files and rather to transition to CHM, HTML, or XML.

Let's get back to those compressor questions when you get time. :>) Thanks!

Last edited by Warren Keller; 09/18/17 05:48 AM.

Best, Warren

Tune 9 Music- SESAC
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
From the manual -

The PG Dynamics compressor is a downward compressor with make-up gain.
A downward compressor works by making loud signals softer. After loud passages have been made quieter by the
compressor, you can apply make-up gain to raise the final audio level.

If I recall, you are correct that the hard write Compressor is upwards.

From searching help and looking at the hard written effects section:
The RealBand compressor is an upward compressor. An upward compressor works by making quiet signals louder.

So you reached the correct conclusions

Beginners Forum
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'd think that upwards compressors are the noisier of the two, pushing weaker signal to match stronger? I finally have a pretty good handle on the real-time downwards plugin! Anyone care to say more about the Expander/Gate and its settings? Thanks!

Best, Warren

Tune 9 Music- SESAC
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Expander/Gate needs to be listened to in SOLO mode.
Sometimes you may not really notice in a mix when it is cutting out some sound and making it un-natural .. until later.

I avoid any Expander/Gate use whenever possible (disable).

It has a very defined use.
Mostly used in rare audio editing that is non music related for me (cleaning poor recordings, like removing background noise from a conversation recorded in a vehicle for example), or even more rare, when inverting a signal to cancel other noise.

Gates can be nice in live settings, but really shouldn't be needed much in a studio setting. IMHO

Last edited by rharv; 03/13/18 01:09 PM.

Beginners Forum
W
Apprentice
Apprentice
W
Thanks Jim for the thread.
Should we use a compressor for backing tracks with no vocals?
I use Audacity to normalise and another program (MP3..something?) to try and get the volumes all the same.
Thanks

BIAB 2022 UltraPAK
Xtra packs 1,2,3,4,5,6,13
2019 and 2018 49pak
Asus Zen Book UX533F 1TB ssd
Windows10 pro, 16g i7 64bit
Allen and Heath Z10fx mixer
Alesis V25 controller

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Warren Keller
I'd think that upwards compressors are the noisier of the two, pushing weaker signal to match stronger? I finally have a pretty good handle on the real-time downwards plugin! Anyone care to say more about the Expander/Gate and its settings? Thanks!

When a downward compressor limits the sound there is also a gain dial to bring the volume back up (to compensate for lost volume).
What do you think happens to the noise floor once you start pushing the gain up on a noise level that has not been compressed? It goes up too .. just sayin'.
A compressor isn't about noise removal, that should already have happened with gain staging and signal routing.
Unless you got handed noisy tracks to work with, there's usually no reason to have them. <grin>
The gate/expander is meant to help condition the sound pre-compressor, but when used together with the compressor right after, the settings between the two can be tricky, you have to listen close so you don't cause some un-natural or sterile sound. Too much Gate making the compressor choppy, weirdness like that.
And every track will be different, so it's hard to recommend any settings. Try some presets. See what gets close then tinker with it.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,466
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195