Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So as I understand it, music does not get forwarded to music supervisors for film or t.v. unless it sounds legit and meets spec.

These two things came straight outta Band in a Box. I guess it can be done. I don't really care if they finally end up in the film or not, I am just tickled pink that I have proof that a BIAB cut can make it to the front of the line. SongTradr also added these songs to a special playlist for this type of music for other music supervisors looking for this genre.

So, all this garbage I read on other forums about BIAB is just for "demos" or "not even for demos" is just that. Garbage. This proves it to me. Herb Hartley told me this a long time ago though when he uttered his immortal words in to me in 2014" "Let me tell you something about the best money you will ever spend..."

I'm sticking with BIAB.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Running From the Law.jpg (24.82 KB, 424 downloads)
Junk Yard Blues.jpg (24.86 KB, 422 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
Congratulations, David. Yep, BIAB is awesome!

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Journeyman
Journeyman
Very cool. I would love to hear them. Can you provide the links?

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
They are on my page:

https://www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

Running from the Law is on my profile page. Just type in Junk Yard Blues David Snyder and you can hear the other.

Let's hang together and follow/favorite one another. Send me your link so I can follow you, and favorite some of your songs. I think we should all do that. A rising tide lifts all boats.

I just got final selection for another one: a Kenny G replacement called Kenny Please!!!!

Please don't tell anyone in my family or anyone I know I just got picked for a Kenny G. replacement. Oh my God, what have I become!!!

smile

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Kenny Please.jpg (32.07 KB, 391 downloads)
Journeyman
Journeyman
lol, that's too funny. I won't say a word, but congratulations.

I saw that listing for slide guitar but thought they wanted more of a solo type deal from the demo.

My profile link is https://www.songtradr.com/user/profile/samuel.davis.jr

I followed you and I'll go back and favorite some of you songs when I have a chance to listen. Good plan

Samuel Davis Jr
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Veteran
Veteran
Well done David! That is such great news.. I wish I had time to submit to these opportunities but am working full time at the moment. I am doing weekly submissions to cover in a week and had some success with my first attempt. I think we should get other folks from the forum involved there to.

Here is the thread http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=463253#Post463253

You can do anything with BIAB!

Will post the link to my songtradr profile a little later when I am at my computer.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Expert
Expert
Well done David, you are a very talented and clever man. BIAB has limitations and in my case they are huge limitations. One is imagination, that plus a little faith both of which you have in abundance.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Samuel,

Saw your site and started following you and favorited some songs. Will go back for a more in depth listen to all today.

You have a great looking site and a real "artist" flavor to your site and songs like you are a "Man on a Mission."*

It's only a matter of time bro.' Only a matter of time....

* In two or three editions, and

Everyday
Everyday
Everyday
Every I write the hook...

Nah.. it will never work

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Tony!

I appreciate those kind words.

I guess I might be a little crazy but I have never understood what people mean when they use the word "limitations" in the context of band in a box.

I mean, you can slow things down, you can speed things up, you can solo instruments, you can bring parts in and out, you can alter styles in the middle of a tune, you have more than 3,000 instruments and styles at your disposal 24/7, you can add your own midi stuff. I don't see any limitations, especially when you go in there and start adding in your own guitars, piano, violin, bass, midi, strings, vocals, shakers, tambourines, harmonica, cello, whatever it is you happen to play over top of the the BIAB studio musicians.

For that particular song submission, I was in a really bad mood about something else unrelated to SongTradr, so when I saw that posting, and I went "Okay then, take this..."

And I turned in 14 submissions in about 3 hours.

3 of them stuck.

I don't see the word "limitation" anywhere in that scenario, is what I'm saying.

smile

I say thanks Band in a Box!!! Thanks for helping me go to war!!

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Congrats David! You definitely deserve it - and I listened to the sounds at that links. They sound top notch! Fingers crossed they make it in the film smile

Cheers,
Deryk
Journeyman
Journeyman
You deserve it David!!! great work

Veteran
Veteran
Well... there you go....!!!! Next step is hearing that you got a cut.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
F
F
Hello David- I recently purchased BIAB for windows 2018 Audiophile version.
It is on its way to me now. Found your recording of "Running From The Law"
and was impressed with the production quality. I assume you played the slide
guitar with BIAB being your backing tracks. Was wondering which version you use
and any tips for a new user?

I used to belong to NSAI (Pittsburgh Ares). This would have been a time saver for demos.
I still have everything from a TASCAM R2R 4 Track to various digital recorders but hope
this will be a time saver as I still work full time.

I may use it for producing a CD's to sell at gigs.
Good luck with your music endeavors. Excellent musicianship
and recording techniques

Thanks in advance for any advice. Kevin

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Fingers,

Audiophile 2018 is killer. All you have to do is type in steel guitar and you will come up with about 15 styles to audition.

One of those is going to fit.

The audiophile tracks need some Eq-ing but not much. It would be easier for me to explain it to you on the phone.

Then you go in and add your own parts, bass, cell, fiddle, whatever you play.

When you get done and you mix and master properly you have a professional recording--not a demo, a recording.

That is what drives me crazy when people keep saying Band in Box can only do a demo. It can do a production.

Film and movie people don't take demos. They take finished product PRODUCTIONS that meet all professional specs.

You can do this in Band to Box now with the vast improved quality.

That is the miracle.

Let me know how I can help.

Expert
Expert
David, I guess I said it wrong again. What I was getting at is BIAB is only as limited as ones imagination. Well done again.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 03/21/18 09:25 PM.

Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Just curious, out of all your submissions to songtradr how many have been forwarded?

Veteran
Veteran
Best to you David! Creating specifically for a request is, I think, the shortest and best path to a license. And you are well equipped to do that.

Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Just curious, out of all your submissions to songtradr how many have been forwarded?

We’ve made it through the finals (forwarded) 23 times on the “music wanted” side which is around 25% of our submissions. But we have yet to be accepted by the requesting company, i.e, their music supervisor. We’ve had more luck with ST’s “deals request” with 14 songs recently licensed by Mood Media. But if you are in it for the money the “music wanted” is where the bigger bucks reside.

J&B

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Hey Tony,

No offense taken man. I understand what you are saying.

I only said that because some other people (not you) on other forums (not this one) keep talking incessantly about what BIAB can't do.

That really blows my mind because I am still in a state of pure dumbfoundment about what it CAN do.

smile

Thanks for the post! We are good man!

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I think about 3 or 4 in the past 4 days have gone to music supervisors. Maybe more. There have been a lot this week.

I think I have been shortlisted about 20 times now, something like that. Some of my early stuff was not right, but I think I am getting the hang of it now. You just have to dive in and start learning, and I am enjoying the learning process.

Here are a few things I have learned along the way.

1. ) When you are submitting, try and get as close to the exact sound and tempo of the sample as you can. Use a tool to inspect the BPM. If the sample is at 120 BPM and goes G C D, send them something at 120 BPM that goes G C D. Don't send anything at 80 BPM that goes Bm, Dm, Am, C#m7

2.) Send in various takes or different styles. Why not? One of mine taken for steel guitar was really stripped down but the other was a full country band. You can never be sure exactly what they are looking for, so try and get close and then send a few different approaches.

3.) Be REALLY careful on the mix. They use algorithms in this industry to test for loudness, BPM, dynamic range, things out of tune and everything else. Anything out of spec will not make it.

I am a big fan of Xtra Styles because they are sort of "pre-mixed" if you will. Everything I have had that was accepted used an Xtra Style and I applied only the most gentle mastering to it in Ozone, just the very light polishing stuff, none of the harsher ones that make it loud and over-compressed. That is the kiss of death. It has to be gentle on the ears even if it is rock. Make sure your .wav looks like a wave and not a brick. I am sure they are using an algorithm to see if the music rises and falls and has nuances and is not all at the same brick like loudness all the way through.

4.) It is totally possible to do work in BIAB with a home studio that will pass all the barriers to entry in music supervision. You just have to "trust" Band in a Box to do its thing, and be super careful in the mix. Spend a lot of time working out your drum, bass and guitar presets and get it down to a science. Then, go EASY on those mastering plug ins.

F
F
David- Thanks for your input on BIAB.

Here is my current computer setup. Let me know if I need a USB soundcard,
or specific DAW program to add my live tracks (I play guitar, keys, a little lap steel
and bass).

1. Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit, 4 Gig Ram, 500 Gig HD, 2 TB internal 2nd hard drive.
2. Sound Card is REALTEC High Definition Audio from 2009 - Set at 16 Bit 44100 Hz but can be set up to 16 Bit 192000 HZ
2. The only DAW programs I have are Audacity (Used for years) and Cubase LE (Never used it).
3. I have a Behringer USB mixer and a Soundcraft non USB Mixer.

Over the years, I have made track by track recordings using a drum machine and playing most
of the instruments with some help from friends on vocals and sax. Although I love the process, it can be time consuming. Looking forward to using BIAB to do some full versions of many tunes that I never got around to "arranging" I have written over 150 songs (and IMHO a few are pretty good).

Once BIAB arrives and I have spent a little time with it, I will contact you again for some tips.
Appreciate any advice on the computer, sound card and DAW. Kevin (Fingers55)

Veteran
Veteran
Your Band-in-a-Box for Windows purchase includes RealBand. You'll find the features of RealBand and Band-in-a-Box complement each other. Both are great additions to have in your musical toolbox.

Audacity is another tool many of us use but technically Audacity is not a DAW, it is an audio editor. It's not a DAW because DAWs work with both audio and MIDI. Audacity doesn't work with MIDI.

You may be able to use the Behringer USB mixer as an audio interface. If Audacity can use the Behringer USB mixer then Band-in-a-Box and RealBand will be able to use the mixer to move audio in and out of your computer.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Fingers,

I will try and make this as simple as I can. I am glad you have Audacity because that will come in handy toward the end. Everything I am saying is to help you stay within "spec" and not get kicked out. For stuff you want to play for your friends, you can do whatever you want. But if you want it to get passed on this is what I recommend.

1. Less is more. The more effects, or more tools you add to your process, the greater the risk you run of sounding thin and metallic. Same goes for tracks. Seven or eight are enough, though when you start getting fancy you may triple the vocals or double the drums, but in terms of instruments don't go over four or five. Deadly.

2.You need a simple decent DAW and an a good audio interface and a great condensor mic and good solid cables for your guitar. Everything has to be shielded. You have to spend at least $300 on the mic. Go to a music store and ask for help on buying a good condensor mic that has the different patterns, such as the cardioid pattern which you will use most frequently.

3. Get a microphone stand shield for your mic. This is critical. It will save you hours later trying to fix vocals or anything recorded with that mic. It traps the sound around the mic, short non-scientific version.

Mic Shield

4. Get a good audio interface like the Focusrite. That also comes with a bunch of free Eqing software to get your started.

5. Avoid mixers. Go straight into the audio interface. Anything that has electrical power that comes before the audio interface input will add some electrical noise and alter the cleanness of your signal. That will add to the brittle metallic sound later.

6. Your condensor mic will require "phantom power." That button is on the Focusrite. Remember to turn it on when you are using the mic. Turn it off for everything else going direct (like guitars.)

7. If possible, record all your parts dry (no effects) and then add effects to them later. In the free DAW "Real Band" that comes with BIAB, you get Amplitube for free. There are some awesome Band in a Box amp and pedal presets in the free Amplitube that comes with Real Band. Check out all of them. There is some stuff in there that will make your dry electric sound like Keith Urban but it is under control and won't make you sound metallic. There are some Amplitube bass presets that will clean up the bass part well.

8. If you are using a Real Track electric that already has an effect (Not a DI or Direct Input choice) leave it alone. Adding an effect on a track that has an effect is the kiss of death in mixing for these purposes. It will sound thin and metallic. You can add an EQ to it, but you can't add an amp effect on top of an amp effect unless you really know what you're doing. The explanation on that is too long for these purposes.

9. Keep it really simple and let Band in a Box do its thing insofar as the mixes that come with Xtra styles, which I highly recommend if you are going into production work. Get all 4 packs and buy all of them that come out. Trust me on this one. They are pre-mixed. They have all of the modern sounds and modern mixes you are looking for. Again, less is more. They have done the work for you. You can flip through the demos on the web real fast to find what sound you want for a certain sound that is being asked for.

10. Use audiophile version if you can. The sounds are ready to go and you don't need to hardly touch them. If you use the regular version, export the files for each track and then use audacity to do a gain change and shape the tracks until they sound great.

11. Inside your DAW (like Real Band) record just a few really good tracks on your own but KEEP IT SIMPLE. You HAVE to invest in some EQ tools, there is no way around it. I don't use Real Band for mixing, so ask people here who do what EQing tools they use in Real band on drums, Vocals, guitars bass. Create presets you can use over and over. Spend a lot of time finding those Eqing tools and building those presets. Again, I don't use Real Band for mixing, just track generation so I can't say. I use Sonar still for mixing and have about a thousand dollars worth of VSTs I suppose (or maybe more) so I am afraid I won't be of much help in the beginning stage set up.

12. Whatever you do, keep it very very simple and only add the effects you have to to give the vocals some richness, add sparkle and thump to the drums, or tame the bass.

13. Export.

14. Go into Audacity and look at that file. I almost always do three things.

A. I do a 1.5:1 compression on the file to bring it into line. Compressed based upon peaks box unchecked.

B. Then I do ONE pass at compress based upon peaks. "Check" the box.

C. Then I normalize to -0.9. That gives me some head room.

Finally, I go into Ozone and use the simple of very gentle polishing.

I use the TT_DR Meter to make sure I am not clipping, and that my dynamic range is at least 9 but preferably 12. If you can find this meter, get it. It will be your most valuable tool. If it says "over" on the TT DR meter they will kick you out. If the dynamic range is like "5" they will kick you out. Overcompressed. In audacity, if your .wav looks like a big blue brick they will kick you out. It is overcompressed and maxing out at every area of the loudness meters.

Making a production ready song BIAB is very possible, but it takes a village to raise a song.

Dive in and start learning and ask as many questions as you can of the pros and they will help you.

You can start right away using audiophile version if you are doing just instrumentals.

Just create a song in BIAB, let BIAB do its thing, export (save as .wav) go into audacity, do that compression routine, normalize, cut out the click track, give it a one sec moment of silence, a slight fade out at the end to get rid of any noise and a one sec or two sec silence at the end, print, and you are good to go.

Submit.

That's about it for the day.

Let me know how else I can help.

FYI: My song "Running from the Law" was mastered usually EXACTLY the same steps described in Audacity above with only a very mild polish in Ozone. I think it is now on about 15 internal playlists at SongTradr in addition to being forwarded. Check out the .wav form. If you ADD anything to BIAB you should not take a .wav form that looks like this and turn it into a brick or add anything that sounds harsh or metallic. You have to stay warm. The warmth of the tone is EVERYTHING.

Be careful.

https://www.songtradr.com/user/song/david-snyder/running-from-the-lawd120

https://www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

Veteran
Veteran
Great info on your last couple of posts David!

For Fingers..... The RAM on your PC is a little low at 4 Gig. If you upgrade some of those software tools that David referred to, you may need to at least double your RAM. Some software eats a lot of resources.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yeah, Steve you are right. 8 gigs of RAM is what you will need. Your computer uses 2 while it is idle.

But 8 is more than plenty for what you will be doing, as long as you aren't running Google Chrome in the background.

wink

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Yeah, Steve you are right. 8 gigs of RAM is what you will need. Your computer uses 2 while it is idle.

But 8 is more than plenty for what you will be doing, as long as you aren't running Google Chrome in the background.

wink

David brings up another good point with his Google Chrome remark. Have nothing running in the background that can interfere with your recordings. That is disable your Ethernet card and turn off you anti-stuff like anti-virus, anti-spyware etc. Just be sure to turn them back on when you are finished with your music session.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Well, I am not sure I will ever turn off my firewall while I was connected to the Internet, or EVER, or not sure you need to turn off Norton (I wouldn't ever), but definitely go into task manager stop all that other junk that gets going if it isn't a system program. Mario has a point there.

Some people don't realize that if you have 8 tabs open in Chrome you have 8 instances of Chrome running.

And you go, Gosh, why is my computer not running???? Is it something evil???

Amazon "music helper" or whatever it is called is atrocious. Yeah, suck up all my memory and CPU. Very helpful. Thanks Amazon.

F
F
Jim Fogle - Thanks for the information and input.

Last edited by fingers55; 03/23/18 12:14 PM.
Expert
Expert
I was under the impression that BIAB being a 32bit application it could only access up to 4gig. Even though other applications could use more. Limiting the number of plugins and/or rendering tracks can greatly reduce memory use. Having a really good sound card however is paramount.

My thoughts

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 03/23/18 01:03 PM.

F
F
David-

I really appreciate you taking the time to give me all this information. I just met you but, in my life. I have found that people like you who are generous with their time and talents will have great blessings & positive outcomes in their endeavors. Best of luck with your submissions.

If you want to hear some of my previous home studio recordings, go to this link

http://www.theskynotes.com/new.htm

(This is a website for a band I play in once a month.)

(I am addressing your comments below in parenthesis)

1. Less is more. (I agree with this philosophy).

2. Mics & DAW (I have some great mics and will get a decent DAW.)

3. Get a microphone stand shield for your mic. (Have one of these as well).

4. Get a good audio interface like the Focusrite. (I will check this out)

5. Avoid mixers. Go straight into the audio interface. (Kind of figured this)

6. Your condensor mic will require "phantom power." (Got it - been there done that)

7. If possible, record all your parts dry (no effects) and then add effects to them later. (Always have recorded this way)

8. If you are using a Real Track electric that already has an effect (Not a DI or Direct Input choice) leave it alone.
(I try to use minimal effects)

9. Keep it really simple and let Band in a Box do its thing insofar as the mixes that come with Xtra styles, which I highly recommend if you are going into production work. Get all 4 packs and buy all of them that come out. Trust me on this one. (I will check this out)

10. Use audiophile version if you can. (OK will do)

11. You HAVE to invest in some EQ tools, there is no way around it. (Got it - I have 100's VST's from my days of using Yamaha DSP FACTORY with Minnetonka MTRAX software They might be outdated but I have them somewhere)

12. Whatever you do, keep it very very simple and only add the effects you have to to give the vocals some richness, add sparkle and thump to the drums, or tame the bass. (AGREE)

13. Export.

14. Go into Audacity and look at that file. I almost always do three things.

A. I do a 1.5:1 compression on the file to bring it into line. (I usually do 1:2:1)

B. Then I do ONE pass at compress based upon peaks. "Check" the box. (I will try this)

C. Then I normalize to -0.9. That gives me some head room. (I will try this)

Finally, I go into Ozone and use the simple of very gentle polishing. (I will try this)

Making a production ready song BIAB is very possible, but it takes a village to raise a song. Dive in and start learning and ask as many questions as you can of the pros and they will help you.

(Thanks again for your encouragement and advice. I did submissions for NSAI reviews 4-5 years ago, entered song contests etc. Have some friends who have gotten songs on TV through TAXI and also and a friend with a connection to NEW LINE CINEMA.

Right now, I am looking to make some great recordings of my originals and to be inspired to write new ones with BIAB. I do have 8-10 instrumentals to do with BIAB and may consider sending them off them to
some song submission sites.

Have a great weekend - FINGERS

Veteran
Veteran
32gb here. I like having BiaB, Logic Pro X, Ozone 8, Nectar 2, Neutron 2, a few Waves products and Safari open simultaneously with no speed issues. smile FWIW I just bought a new iMac with 8gb and upgraded it myself for < one half what Apple wanted.

Bud

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Sounds great Fingers!

I went your site. Hey, I like your songs man. If you ever want advice on NSAI give me a shout. I am a coordinator.

Sounds like you are off to the races. Let me know how I can help.

BTW, I see I have 64 new messages from SongTradr. Looks like 6 more songs just got forwarded and made the final cut and are being listened to by people all over the place and have been added to 8 to 10 more internal playlists.

Hmmmmmmm. I'm starting to really like Band in a Box.

smile

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

You are an animal Bud.

I was just sayin' I think for what Fingers is doing, 8 is all he needs.

But since you are recording Rush in your living room and need 32 mics for the drums I can see how you need the extra horsepower.

I can't wait to hear Xanadu Redux: Return of the Steely Eyed Gargoyle and the Crimson King on Bastille Day: Part Five.

Get on with your bad self.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Well, thanks to this thread, I joined the Songtradr site today and will be getting some of my stuff uploaded over the next few days. Although the site recommends highest quality possible - they list 48kz I usually save my files at 44.1/16 and will continue to do so and see how that flies.

I've followed a few BIAB forum members I've found on the site so far and a few have already followed me in return. Thanks for that.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
David,

Congrats on your songs getting through to music supervisors. That's no easy feat to accomplish these days!

Also, thank you for taking the time to post such explicit information on software, settings and how to use. This insight into your recording and processing techniques provides very valuable information for all of us.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
F
F
David- Congrats on your songs making it to the final cut. Glad you enjoyed my tunes. Have not had time for NSAI but if I get back into it, will hit you up for advice. Thanks again, Kevin (Fingers)

Last edited by fingers55; 03/23/18 04:04 PM.
Journeyman
Journeyman
David, after reading your post earlier about Songtradr possibly using analizers for loudnes I took a closer look at the songs I was uploading and submitting today. After making the adjustments I ended up having 3 out of six songs shortlisted and 2 forwarded.

I look at my other songs on there and I came to the realization that I need to remix a lot of them. Luckily I just got some new VSTs that will help with this.

Thanks for sharing your tips and observations on this.

Samuel Davis Jr
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

That's great Charlie. Hey I followed you too! Hey man, you need to post a pic! Everybody else has one!!

smile

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks great Samuel. Which category was that?

I am really happy for you. We all need to hang together. It's us against 100,000!

smile

Hey I see there is a Hank Williams request going on. I KNOW there are some people on here who could slam dunk that one!

Yeah everyone out there selling plugins is telling you need to max it out and make it as loud as you.

No---you don't. You don't need to do that at all. That trend is going backwards.

Let's do this together y'all!!!!

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Thanks Noel.

I have always found that success is a team sport.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C

That's great Charlie. Hey I followed you too! Hey man, you need to post a pic! Everybody else has one!!

smile

Yes I saw that you followed me. All of the BIAB Forum members I found, I followed and they reciprocated. Great fellowship. Thank you for following and thanks to the others as well.

I also saw that Hank Williams posting and submitted "My Sad Story" after uploading it. I now have 3 songs uploaded with more to come.

Picture? Hmmm that's a challenge but my page on that site is still a work in progress.

I also agree 100% with you that BIAB is completely capable of producing top level, commercial releases. On many different levels.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 03/24/18 03:32 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Journeyman
Journeyman
The songs forwarded were for the Irish music wanted.

I saw the listing for Hank Williams alts last night and got excited. I need to remix a bunch of my songs for that one and might even write a new one for it.

I agree we all need to stick together. I've tried to start that trend in the Songtradr Facebook group too. So far a couple people have jumped on board.

Samuel Davis Jr
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
That's great Samuel. I got a few on that one too.

Good job.

smile

P.S. If anyone could do Hank that would be you man!!

Ok, Hey Pretty Hazel eyes is GREAT. You do that Irish singing PERFECTLY. Ha ha. Awesome.

What was the other one??

Last edited by David Snyder; 03/24/18 04:24 AM.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Charlie,

That's a great song. Good luck with that! Going to listen to it now!

Ok, Just listened to it.

Write five more just like that in the same style while you have a chance and a I think you are shoo in.

Sounds just like him.

smile

Veteran
Veteran

You are an animal Bud.

I was just sayin' I think for what Fingers is doing, 8 is all he needs.

But since you are recording Rush in your living room and need 32 mics for the drums I can see how you need the extra horsepower.

I can't wait to hear Xanadu Redux: Return of the Steely Eyed Gargoyle and the Crimson King on Bastille Day: Part Five.

Get on with your bad self.

Hahahaha! Me? Four-five tracks Bud? I just like to not have to close things out if I want to do something else...like check some things on the net or maybe even open a photo or video editor. And you are right...if I just run my DAW and a boat load of plug-ins I'm hitting around 6-7gb fo my ram...but even that is going to cause a lot of swapping out to disc given the overhead of the OS.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis
The songs forwarded were for the Irish music wanted.

I saw the listing for Hank Williams alts last night and got excited. I need to remix a bunch of my songs for that one and might even write a new one for it.

I agree we all need to stick together. I've tried to start that trend in the Songtradr Facebook group too. So far a couple people have jumped on board.

A big ole FWIW.....I think that it helps if you can establish yourself at ST as a specialist, so to speak, in a certain genre -- not that you shouldn't have a lot of other stuff in your catalog. Without even informing us ST featured three of our blues songs in different blues styles sections under their consumer page genre section. Under the Roots section we are in three very short playlists within Delta Blues, Contemporary Blues and Louisiana Blues. We didn't use any "points" to submit to one of their showcases or anything like that. They just appeared there. We would never known it if we had not just been looking around their genre section on the opening buyer's page.

All meaning that I'm guessing that the number of blues songs we have submitted must have triggered somebody at ST to take a look at our catalog and pull a few to feature. Worth considering, I think.

Veteran
Veteran
Congrats David!! Great info too. If I join, there appears to be two options. Is the free okay or are the real opportunities limited to the paid one? What is the difference?

TIA,
Josie

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Josie,

Free is same as paid, but you get to see a few more opportunities for music wanted with paid I believe. Free allows you about 5 submissions per month, 4.99 gives you about 245 credits vs. 35 for fee and it takes 6-7 credits for a submission. I made about 20 submissions this week and have had about 13 forwarded to music supervisors, 65% hit rate (hard to keep track though, but it's been good.) I don't think that's bad. Yeah BIAB.

I only go for the music needed section (right hand side) for two reasons.

1.) It is where the money is.

2.) Under "monetization" or blanket licensing it is impossible to track and I don't know anyone who has ever made a dime on blanket licensing deals of this sort with anyone.

BUT, I have my own Spotify artist account and I get paid every month there so I don't need it.

smile

Veteran
Veteran
We’ve been paid for years via CD Baby through what I would consider to be a blanket license. The invoice shows a world of streaming entities I’ve never heard of in addition to the bigger players. And this was all for one CD that was released in 2003. It’s only $50-80 a check but somebody is collecting it and CDBaby is getting it to us.

I’m clueless as to how it works smile Our licenses from Songtradr are with Mood Media. They are the largest providers of overhead music in the world and own a zillion other companies and have half a million customers. I suspect they will pay up - albeit small amounts but hopefully at least a dime!

And I think having a song licensed even if it’s a blanket license gives it at least a little cred to perhap a music supervisor on the music wanted side who’s looking at it. But what the hell do I know? For practically nothing a month I’ll play the game for a while.

Veteran
Veteran
Glad to see the folks going over to songtradr! Let’s start a Biab revolution! Let’s show them exactly what this wonderful tool can do!

I have had loads of songs selected for the “deals” with the first being nearly a year ago but have yet to see any money. The guy who mixed some of my stuff got a $80 payout the other day,

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
Veteran
Veteran
Looks like an interesting place.

Can you upload music to songtradr that you have already released on other platforms?

We have music up on CDBaby and that automatically goes to all the digital sites, iTunes, spotify, etc. Can I upload those same songs to songtradr?

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Joanne,

Send me your link. Let's all follow, favorite and help one another.

smile

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Dave,

Don't know about CD Baby, I do mine through Reverb, and I have all my songs published through my own publishing company, and I own everything, so I can do whatever I want, so I would guess you could do.

One catch, I only do the music wanted stuff, I don't do the blanket licensing, though maybe one day I will get over it. My own Spotify account through Reverb is pretty active.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Yeah, I am using Songtrader and sentric, just started have not had any luck yet, I would like to hear from anyone who actually gets selected on these songs. Keep us posted. My concern is , do they actually select someone and pay them on all of these listings?

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: cliftond
Yeah, I am using Songtrader and sentric, just started have not had any luck yet, I would like to hear from anyone who actually gets selected on these songs. Keep us posted. My concern is , do they actually select someone and pay them on all of these listings?

As far as selecting goes ST has a daily feed of licensed songs. But that could include a license for a one time event, a blanket license or a film placement. There is obviously no way to tell how much anybody got paid or for what nor should there be IMO. We are contracted with Crucial Music and we had to sign a LONG non disclosure agreement. If a company licenses you for background music they aren’t interested in you posting everywhere “that’s me on tv!”

Also you mentioned do “they” select someone. Songtradr reviews your submission and rejects it or “short lists” it for further review. That further review may result in it becoming a “finalist” which means it is then submitted to the music supervisor of the company that requested the song. Of course the music supervisor has probably looked at other song libraries. Meaning their ultimate choice may likely not even be from ST’s referrals. It’s a long shot.

Regarding our eight months on ST we have been shortlisted 59 times, made the finals many times and been licensed 14 times (all for a blanket license). Our nearly 300,000 views/plays come from being added to various playlists - some featured by ST and others for which I’m clueless as to the origin as they do not let you know anything other than you were added.

ST apparently wants you to submit your whole catalog and use them like SoundCloud. I have some doubts regarding their longevity but hope they do well.

Bud

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Guys

Here is my profile on ST.
http://www.songtradr.com/joanne.cooper

Veteran
Veteran
Okay, I joined but just the free for now until I find my way around and understand it all better. I haven't uploaded any music yet. I've followed Joanne and David. I tried to follow others but unsure what names to search for ...so if you want me to follow you, please put your link on here or just follow me and I'll follow you back.
http://www.songtradr.com/josie.beck

Last edited by Sundance; 03/25/18 07:51 AM.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Okay, I just followed you and favorited your first song. Will go back and do more later.

Sounds great!

Feel free to follow me too!

smile

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Josie,

I am now following you and I DEMAND a song to favorite!!

smile

Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks for the info Bud, I think this is my address on ST. www.songtradr.com/cliff.dykes

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I am following you Cliff. Your first song is great and I favorited it.

Will listen to more later.

All for one and one for all!!!

smile

Veteran
Veteran
David that made me laugh. Thank you.

C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C
Congratulations David, my songs aren't worth posting on that site yet, but you definitely have some skills.

Windows 10 build 16299
2018 Ultra
Intel i5-3550 @ 3.3GHz
p8z77-v pro
RAM: 32GB
Roland V-Studio 100
Alesis VX49

https://soundcloud.com/dirtbom/
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Thanks Cool Breeze,

Can't wait to hear your stuff.

If you are like the rest of us, you are probably a lot better than you think.

D
Apprentice
Apprentice
D
FWIW, and this is but a tangent just to weigh in, YMMV: 4 Gigs of ram seems to work fine for me...nary a glitch, low latency, running lots of tracks and effects. Reaper, Focusrite (firewire), Windows 7 Pro (64), Intel 2.67 GHz processor

I had 6 gig but after many years (this is a really old machine...like well over 10 years now maybe?) had to pull two bad sticks..and I found that 4 gigs seems to work just fine, at least so far. Weird.

Last edited by DIOECHOOTO; 03/29/18 03:06 AM.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
That is not strange at all actually.

I read a post on another forum not too long ago where someone was bragging about having 16 gigs and a producer/engineer posted back:

"16 gigs? Who do you think you are, Max Martin?"

smile

Veteran
Veteran
It’s more than simply whether it will work. It’s how tolerant one is of slow routines. How long do you want to wait to regenerate multiple realtracks. How long to render a video for test purposes. It’s all in what you do. I just happen to like minimal disc swapping out, etc. I’ve run maxed out ram home computers for 30+ years. It’s nothing to brag about - the is cost not much if you do the installation. If you don’t need more horsepower no worries.

For me patience has always been a virtue hard to come by. smile

FWIW!

D
Apprentice
Apprentice
D
It seems unlikely that anyone has less patience than I, but I'm willing to concede the remote possibility.

But seriously, good point J&B. My implausible patience is probably this simple: I don't use BIAB all that much; and, now that I think about it, it is the only tool in my music production pipeline where there's any kind of waiting around. Not a whole lot, but some. In Reaper or elsewhere, even final renders are really fast. In fact, only with renders is there ANY waiting! Everything else happens in a blink, or less.

But now that I'm thinking about it, there's no need for me put up with it if I decide it's a problem (here's hoping for a flush of inspiration if not impatience) ...it's so easy to install some memory, and it would only cost me...hold on a sec... 46 bucks for 8 gigs of brand new ram.

Last edited by DIOECHOOTO; 03/29/18 07:42 AM.

Journeyman
Journeyman
David,

Did you opt for the free or pay version of Songtradr? Just wondering if there's any real benefit to paying for their perks.

Thanks,
Buford

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

I used up all of my submission credits last month to submit about 40 songs I guess, of which half got forward to music supervisors.

That was 240 credits used. Free is 35 credit. I am playing the numbers game.

Since I never visit Starbucks even once a month I am breaking even at 4.99

If I had joined another place I won't mention to submit some songs that might not have gone anywhere I would have spent $300 pus 5 x 40 which I believe is $500.

Any more questions?

smile

Journeyman
Journeyman
Yea...I tried the "other place" on and off over the years. I always thought it was a rip. Just taking advantage of songwriters desperation, whatever, to line their own pockets. The proof is in the pudding. If you get a check, that's the proof. I watched this review before I joined and opted for the free version for the time being. We'll see what happens. Here's the review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk3_9exuR-M

Newbies to the music biz still think it's a shortcut to fame and fortune. If it EVER was, those days are long gone. Especially with the advent of streaming and the pitiful returns to songwriters. Seems there's always someone coming up with a new way to rip the poor old musicians and songwriters. Gotta be a labor of love to keep you in it. grin

Journeyman
Journeyman

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Following you too man.

smile

Your songs are great by the way.

I will try to listen to more of them as I go along...

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Yeah,

I saw the video and I don't think it makes a lot of sense--to me. Since I am going for music wanted. They have to pay their start up light bills and listen to a lot of songs and pay their kids at least $12 an hour so they can vet them before they send the songs to a music supervisor or their name will be mud. I get that. I have no problem with 4.99 for 250 credits.

I just like having the cues to write to every day--it is forcing me to write fast, hooky, punchy and get 'er done. I am also trying to flex muscles I haven't tried to flex in a while. And it is forcing me to get serious about mixing, and that is good for me.

So that alone is worth it--the fun factor. And if you have looked around, there is some serious talent on that site. You're in good company.

Again, if they aren't lying that they have sent 20 songs from me in the past two weeks to music supervisors they can keep taking my 4.99. It's a cup of coffee. Go for it. I am having fun.

The other place you mentioned I feel and always have felt is a total rip.

Journeyman
Journeyman
I'm with David. I love the challeng of writing to the specs wanted. It is also forcing me to try out different genres and styles of music.

Samuel Davis Jr
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well, good luck to everybody!!

smile

Veteran
Veteran
The first person who lands a sync on Songtradr needs to brag about it here.....

But of course we will.....

Compared to the other California company named after a car...... ST is a GREAT deal at $5/mo for access to the listings. As long as it stays affordable.... I'll stay but when they start jacking the cost to pay for that California beachfront mansion on the hill.

However......

So far, NONE of my placements have been through any of the paid sites. All of them are through the companies I have found by myself that cost nothing other than the time and effort to locate them and send them the music.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 04/10/18 03:24 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

Journeyman
Journeyman
roger the above, any one that lands a deal needs to let us all know, I pay the 5 bucks, which is nothing for the amount of submits allowed. I am happy with ST so far.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
The first person who lands a sync on Songtradr needs to brag about it here.....

But of course we will.....

Compared to the other California company named after a car...... ST is a GREAT deal at $5/mo for access to the listings. As long as it stays affordable.... I'll stay but when they start jacking the cost to pay for that California beachfront mansion on the hill.

However......

So far, NONE of my placements have been through any of the paid sites. All of them are through the companies I have found by myself that cost nothing other than the time and effort to locate them and send them the music.

I have one "Sync Licence" through ST already on the deals section. I'm concentrating on the "Music Wanted" listings now. Honestly I'm not even sure how the "Deals" board is working now that it has switched to "Monitization"

Last edited by Samuel Davis; 04/10/18 09:02 AM.

Samuel Davis Jr
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Veteran
Veteran

We have a two year, auto renewable, license with Mood Media for 14 songs obtained via Songtradr. FWIW, etc.

J&B

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Teunis
I was under the impression that BIAB being a 32bit application it could only access up to 4gig.

This comes up a lot on the forums. If you're on an older 32 bit system then you're correct, more memory is irrelevant. But, if you are running a 64 bit system then you're incorrect. A lot of confusion comes from people thinking they can't run a 32 bit program on a 64 bit system. Not true. Then there's a program called JBridge that PG sells that allows you to use 64 bit plugins with a 32 bit host such as Biab. The plugins (meaning VST's and VSTi's) now think they're running on a 64 bit host so they can access all the memory you have including 32 gigs or more if you needed it. The big software sound libraries can be using 2 or 3 gigs just for one piano instrument so if you have a bunch of tracks and they're all using large sample libraries, all that has to get loaded into ram before you can hear anything. In the old days using something like Gigasampler, we had to record one or two tracks at a time then freeze them, remove the VST from those tracks and record another 2 because of lack of ram. That's not a problem now usually. That's the main reason for extra memory. That and speed of course.

To the main topic of this thread you people here are awesome! This is some of the best info I've ever seen in one place and a huge thank you to you, David.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
So is anyone getting paid yet? I'm very skeptical of most of these licensing services, since I don't hear of any paying company actually using them except for musicbed. I do hear several sponsored podcasts which mention they use musicbed.

Veteran
Veteran
If you are getting licensed by the heavy hitters, irrespective of the library that got you there, there may be a non-disclosure contract. We are Crucial Music artists and we signed a contract with them and later the NDC. My guess is that if you are in a HBO film they aren’t very interested in you disclosing what you learned about the production, etc. With some libraries there are private chat channels for you to work directly with the production’s music supervisor, etc. I will say that the NDC is tight enough to keep me from ever saying a word! I had a lawyer read it before signing on. That may be why some folks don’t say much about their placements. smile

The blanket licenses are another world. Songtradr says we can expect quarterly payments for our Mood Media licenses and gave us the dates. It’s in their interest to carry through as they get a percentage. Mood Media is the world’s largest provider of overhead music with a half million customers. I anticipate they will pay. I don’t anticipate much with this type of license. But the potential exposure is huge.

FWIW,

Bud

Journeyman
Journeyman
You always give us good info Bud, Thank You for sharing!!!! and best of luck on your songs, they stand on their own!!!!

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Bob. That was nice of you to say. smile

This may be a little off topic but since I started this thread I guess I am allowed.

I am so dumbfounded by the POSSIBILITIES surrounding me I hardly have time for thinking any worrisome thoughts. I just plan on writing some kick a..... tunes and I will let the universe take care of the rest.

Now here is something that blows my mind:

I have a “matching set” of my studio software on my laptop and my PC (the main studio.)

I just did an orchestral piece on my laptop with heavy duty orchestra samples using a template that is utilizing both Miroslav Philharmonik2 (love it) and Garritan Personal Orchestra. Embedded in the tracks were mastering plugins from IK Multimedia’s new TR5 Studio Max bundle. (Mind boggling. Like almost 50 high end EQS, amps, bus compressors, and on and on.) Plus I found some cool Band in a Box Real Track stuff with awesome trance loops and stuff that will be killer for movie stuff once I add in those .wav files too.

So, I just sent myself an email and the finished work (including the BIAB file which will extrapolate the .wav audio on the other end) in template code was 256K.

256K.

I opened it up on the PC and it was like unpacking a NYC studio with 1000 pounds of hardware.

Hit play and it sounds like it is already mixed and mastered, and I don’t even need to do anything before submitting to film licensing companies. Just hit render.

The thought that I can sit under a tree in a park, produce a movie trailer score, email it to myself, open it up on my PC, hit render and upload: man, I am way too busy thinking of new chord progressions and melodies to think anything but happy, shiny, golden thoughts.

What PG Music and other companies have made available to us all is jaw dropping.

In that context it is really hard for any other thought to enter my head except what chords I am going to use next and what I am going to play on the melody line with a virtual piano or Prophet V.

smile

I am one happy camper.

Veteran
Veteran
So is anyone getting paid yet? I'm very skeptical of most of these licensing services, since I don't hear of any paying company actually using them except for musicbed. I do hear several sponsored podcasts which mention they use musicbed.

I guess it depends on who you sign with and what's in the contract.

I'm getting paid.... not much. I'm not shopping for Lear Jets and private islands just yet. I have a few placements in some film and TV shows. Nothing in those deals address confidentiality. My checks come from BMI and they cash just fine at the local bank.

I would expect to see confidentiality agreements if you're working on a yet-to-be-released project that's planning to be a box office hit or from a new season on a show like The Walking Dead, for example. They don't want any details leaked beforehand. In the case of the placements I have had, heck, I didn't know it had happened until I got the check from BMI. So far, I have not worked on a project where the producer was coming back to me looking for me to make edits for him.

Regarding the placements I have had.... none of them, not one, came through a service like TAXI or Songtrader. All the cuts I have gotten were from me going out and finding them, asking if I could submit, getting s positive response and sending in some examples of my work. I've had forwards and gotten my music into some pretty prestigious libraries through the services, but nothing has come from it so far.

www.herbhartley.com

Journeyman
Journeyman
I'm getting paid.... not much. I'm not shopping for Lear Jets and private islands just yet. I have a few placements in some film and TV shows. Nothing in those deals address confidentiality. My checks come from BMI and they cash just fine at the local bank.

I'm following you on Songtradr, Herb, just in case you hit it big I can say I knew you. smile

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
I have 28 songs licenced on various “deals”. Some of them were licensed nearly a year ago. Still no $ in my account though. But I am expecting the millions to start coming in soon....

Encouraged by David’s recent posts I am starting to submit more to the “music wanted” section and have had quite a few short listed in the last couple of days.

I think the site is quite saturated with quality music but, hey, if you wanna win the lotto you gotta buy a ticket!

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
...... but, hey, if you wanna win the lotto you gotta buy a ticket!

I almost believe your odds of getting rich in the lotto is better than the odds of getting rich writing music, looking for that big break.

www.herbhartley.com

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Herb,

I WAS just doing it for fun, and joy, UNTIL...

Five minutes ago I got a call from a big streaming television show that is not NETFLIX that wants me to sign a secret, exclusive 400 page document that requires a level five security clearance and I have to wear an ankle bracelet at all times, but they are going to pay for it...

Nothing but heavy, heavy hitters here, only 5 people, I can't utter their names or I will get shot but they named a guitar after one of them.

I can't say a word BUT, the new show is kind of like Even Stranger Stuff than You Saw Last Time But Ten Times Stranger and *THINGS* (OMG I might get shot now) like that, but not quite. I can't even talk to my wife about it or I have to swallow cyanide.

BUT it is HUGE man, HUGE. I can't even use the forum anymore because they are afraid I might mention some of my real tracks and then other people will copy my riffs.

Nice knowing everyone!!!!

I have to get on the helicopter now Herb.

Thanks for all the help bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Journeyman
Journeyman
HA, David you have the knack, but your captivity on the planet Ztradr will be short lived I hope. Keep your secret songs to yourself and share no molodies, rhymes or good one liners. All top secret societies go through this occasionally, remember , the grassy knoll was just a grassy knoll.

Veteran
Veteran
I have 28 songs licenced on various “deals”. Some of them were licensed nearly a year ago. Still no $ in my account though. But I am expecting the millions to start coming in soon....

Encouraged by David’s recent posts I am starting to submit more to the “music wanted” section and have had quite a few short listed in the last couple of days.

I think the site is quite saturated with quality music but, hey, if you wanna win the lotto you gotta buy a ticket!

Joanne, there is one sure way to have a million dollars playing music. Marry someone with two million dollars!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
R
Veteran
Veteran
R

Regarding the placements I have had.... none of them, not one, came through a service like TAXI or Songtrader. All the cuts I have gotten were from me going out and finding them, asking if I could submit, getting s positive response and sending in some examples of my work. I've had forwards and gotten my music into some pretty prestigious libraries through the services, but nothing has come from it so far.

One of my online collaborators is one of the TAXI favorites - he's based in LA, and has been on their video chat with the main TAXI guy - forgot his name - but Steve has had placements on some fairly big TV shows. He's also incredibly prolific and wide-styled. He writes a ton of crap music. He admits this. But he also writes gems now and then, and several of those have been placed through TAXI.

However, these others that seem to pop up each week - I don't see them getting anyone placed - most of it seems to be the modern day equivalent of 'I can get your music on the radio' lies.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Joanne, there is one sure way to have a million dollars playing music. Marry someone with two million dollars!

Ha ha! Yes I am trying out that one too!

Veteran
Veteran
Of all the songs "forwarded", has anyone got any actual cuts through Songtradr?

Not promises, actual CUTS.

Regards,

Bob

Journeyman
Journeyman
Not yet but I got one that's been sitting in final selection for the last month that I'm hoping makes it.

If you join the Facebook group for Songtradr artists there are some success stories on there from users. Like Joanne stated it's a very saturated and competitive field. You just have to keep plugging away and hopefully something gets picked up.

Samuel Davis Jr
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Veteran
Veteran
Not yet but I got one that's been sitting in final selection for the last month that I'm hoping makes it.

If you join the Facebook group for Songtradr artists there are some success stories on there from users. Like Joanne stated it's a very saturated and competitive field. You just have to keep plugging away and hopefully something gets picked up.

That's one no. Anyone else?

Regards,

Bob

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I'm curious about this too. Anyone seen actual $$?

Veteran
Veteran
$13.98 currently reflecting in my account whoop! I have several songs in final selection lately. In general you wait about two or three months for them to come back to you after final selection.

BUT the good news is that I am building up quite a catalogue and they are often looking for the same type of music again and again. Recently they wanted circus music and on the off chance I submitted something I wrote about 6 months ago for another opp (for which it was not even short listed) and now for this opportunity ithe same track has gone to final selection.

Only one song with my vocals has gone to final selection, the rest (probably about 20 of them) have been instrumentals.

Last edited by JoanneCooper; 08/09/18 07:30 PM.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Great news Joanne, you are making money!!!, I had one make final selection, but did not get selected by the music supervisor, a--hole obviously, just joking HA, have one in the chicago blues, shorlisted. I may not get any actually used, but, its fun just to submit them and see, kind of like the dog races, or horse races. Thanks for the news, and good luck on your submissions.

Last edited by cliftond; 08/10/18 07:00 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
We had 18 songs licensed thru ST to Mood Media. FWIW, MM is the world’s largest supplier of overhead music and has 500,000 customers. First payments are due before September 30. We don’t expect much. Another six songs have been licensed for compilation albums. Don’t expect much there either. On the music wanted side (film, tv, ads,etc.) we made the finals about a dozen times and have been shortlisted 23 tines.

We also have three songs on the short feature lists under roots on ST’s public genre page. Each feature list only has about a dozen songs so we are happy to be there.

What does it all mean. Well, since we aren’t in it for the money and since we’ve never written anything for a placement what we get is some validation that some folks in library land like what we are doing - only for fun.

We are contracted artists with Crucial Music but that’s a different game.

J&B

Last edited by Janice & Bud; 08/10/18 09:50 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
On the (hopefully) humorous side ..
Back when MP3.com just got started I joined early.
Got free bling from them multiple times and a few checks (yes physical checks).

I mention they were physical checks because the first one I received cost them more to mail it to me than the check was worth to me.
Obviously not a good business model.
Then the next check doubled (so was worth more than the postage anyway).
Then the next month it doubled again and more free stuff. And again ..

I told my wife "If this keeps doubling every month you won't be laughing at those checks"
/The checks stopped coming soon after.
//At least I didn't actually 'lose' any money <shrug>

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
We get about $80-100 every 2-3 years from
CDBaby for digitial distribution of a CD we released in 2003 during our bluegrass days. The album featured a Grammy nominated friend and that contributed to good CD sales for a couple of years. We donated all the proceeds in honor of him - he passed too early and we continue to donate the digital payments.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Not yet, Bob, but I consider I am still in a learning phase and still trying to find my own "sweet spot" as an artist.

BIAB is helping me with that as it is giving me the opportunity to create hundreds of worktapes with every idea that pops into my head and the ammunition for mixes on stuff I think deserves a production.

SongTradr gives me lots of ideas and impetus for taking a whack at song concepts I would not have even thought of until I looked at the wanted listings. It is not taking skin off of my back because I just keep adding stuff to my catalog. I have had quite a few "final selections" from stuff I wrote four months ago, where I saw the posting and just hit click. After a while I will be able to go click click click all day long. It costs about 20 cents to submit a song.

I don't need them for Spotify because I have my own outlets for digital and am actually doing ok on Spotify with my classical and "relaxation" stuff.

Now, is it legit? I have watched videos of the staff in their office, and their creative director or A&R lady (the one who posts opps and makes final selections, supposedly) seems legit.

But quite honestly, they are pulling some "amazing opps" from the same posting boards everyone else is--so folks have to realize EVERY licensing company is vying for the same opps, and SongTradr is just one.

Bud and Janice are lucky and blessed to be with an outfit like Crucial for their genre, but for people in super packed genres (singer-songwriter, pop, EDM, rock, film scoring) there about 2.5 million artists with home studios in the world (at least) doing what we do.

I think I got it from you Bob that about 20,000 new songs are dropped to Spotify EACH Day, like 5,000 new books are added to Kindle EACH Day.

I guarantee you that every person dropping those 20,000 Spotify songs per day is chasing sync.

So I think it is safe to roughly quesstimate that if you see a SongTradr opp and submit for it, you have 20,000 competitors coming from somewhere if is gets down to the music supervisor level.

Where does that leave us?

I can only say where it leaves me.

I just try and keep writing and mixing better songs every day and not even think about the rest of it or keeping up with the Jones.

Your brain would cave it.

I just keep hitting click and then go back to the screen to see how my new mix is coming along. It is the only way I can stay focused and happy.

Veteran
Veteran
David, If we could create music "on demand" and at that were prolific in many genres and were we something other than rhythm players we might well follow your path. The Crucial think was a fluke...they are big players and for the hell of it I listened to their bluegrass stuff and realized they were IMO lacking. So we slipped in.

I admire you ability to be creative in so many directions.

Bud

Veteran
Veteran

Not yet, Bob, but I consider I am still in a learning phase and still trying to find my own "sweet spot" as an artist.

BIAB is helping me with that as it is giving me the opportunity to create hundreds of worktapes with every idea that pops into my head and the ammunition for mixes on stuff I think deserves a production.

SongTradr gives me lots of ideas and impetus for taking a whack at song concepts I would not have even thought of until I looked at the wanted listings. It is not taking skin off of my back because I just keep adding stuff to my catalog. I have had quite a few "final selections" from stuff I wrote four months ago, where I saw the posting and just hit click. After a while I will be able to go click click click all day long. It costs about 20 cents to submit a song.

I don't need them for Spotify because I have my own outlets for digital and am actually doing ok on Spotify with my classical and "relaxation" stuff.

Now, is it legit? I have watched videos of the staff in their office, and their creative director or A&R lady (the one who posts opps and makes final selections, supposedly) seems legit.

But quite honestly, they are pulling some "amazing opps" from the same posting boards everyone else is--so folks have to realize EVERY licensing company is vying for the same opps, and SongTradr is just one.

Bud and Janice are lucky and blessed to be with an outfit like Crucial for their genre, but for people in super packed genres (singer-songwriter, pop, EDM, rock, film scoring) there about 2.5 million artists with home studios in the world (at least) doing what we do.

I think I got it from you Bob that about 20,000 new songs are dropped to Spotify EACH Day, like 5,000 new books are added to Kindle EACH Day.

I guarantee you that every person dropping those 20,000 Spotify songs per day is chasing sync.

So I think it is safe to roughly quesstimate that if you see a SongTradr opp and submit for it, you have 20,000 competitors coming from somewhere if is gets down to the music supervisor level.

Where does that leave us?

I can only say where it leaves me.

I just try and keep writing and mixing better songs every day and not even think about the rest of it or keeping up with the Jones.

Your brain would cave it.

I just keep hitting click and then go back to the screen to see how my new mix is coming along. It is the only way I can stay focused and happy.

So, that's a total of $13.98 to Joanne's account. Not very impressive. I only posed the question because I too have submitted material to ST. So I have some skin in the game.

"Your brain would cave it."

Could you clarify that statement? It doesn't make sense.

Regards,

Bob

Journeyman
Journeyman
I like ST, I had The Brown Arrow, make a shortlist today, but, did not make final selction, and I had Hwy 49 Blues get final selection and sent to the music Supervisor, if an a--hole isn't the supervisor, i should get selected, HA. It is fun to submit and see what happens. Most of mine just get rejected. It is fun to see congratulations! every now and then. Cliff

Journeyman
Journeyman
After reading prior posts on this subject, I really dont try to write to fit the submission, if I have a song that I think may fit i will submit it, not very many genres that i submit to. I am not in the todays pop world at all. My stuff is fairly old school, not a lot of requests for that style, all that being said, this month I have used over half of my credits for a change. Last month, I may have submitted 2 songs. Everyone, let us know how it is going with you on these submissions. Good info here. Cliff

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dear Bob,

I extend my most heartfelt and deepest apologies and beg your kindness and forgiveness for this typo when I meant to say your brain would cave in, not cave it.

My meaning was that I spend zero time thinking about anything negative or comparing my "success" (or lack thereof) in any field to what anyone else is doing, or what is happening out there. I am very methodical in what I do, and just stay focused on my "to do" lists, try and not second guess myself and just keep plugging away. I learned a lot from the book publishing world where I got through all the crazy hoops you had to jump through to get successfully published before Kindle came along and burned the industry to the ground. What I learned was this: most people in the industry (I think) aren't really reading anything, and most of the market is run by hype. I won't get into specifics but it is pretty shallow out there, in my opinion. But if I sat around thinking about that too much, I would get nothing done.

If you have skin in the game, I see 2 costs.

1. Opportunity costs. It takes a lot of time to write, post and upload a song. If you ever come to the conclusion that it is not for real, I would stop. I do not sense an opportunity cost at this point because I would be writing anyway and their wanted sections give me some good ideas.

2.) 4.99 a month. I don't see this as a lot, and the opportunity costs far outweigh it.

As I stated and I think said clearly, the Catch-22 in all of this is you never know how many other Song Tradrs and Taxis are pitching their stuff to the same opps even if you do make final selection. They all draw from the same openings, and all of the A&R people all know the same crowd.

So the competition is fierce and the odds are in no one's favor.

I just do it because I think it is fun and relaxing when I look at the headaches of my day job.

Hope this answers your questions and is useful.

Veteran
Veteran
"Dear Bob,

I extend my most heartfelt and deepest apologies and beg your kindness and forgiveness for this typo when I meant to say your brain would cave in, not cave it."

Cute.

Journeyman
Journeyman
RIding Hwy 49 got shortlisted again today, it is at the music supervisor on one listing. Lots of fun this stuff. They have just posted a Gram Parson alt, I was a big Gram Parsons fan, have done several of his covers, but, really never wrote anything similiar to his style of the song they want, it is an odd song and not one of his better ones. Why would anyone want that style that knows Gram Parson songs? Oh Well CLiff

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Weird scenes inside the goldmine Clifton.

smile

Hey, come to think of it, I wish they would beg for a Jim Morrison alt.

I would mojo the you know what out of them brother.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Weird scenes inside the goldmine Clifton.

smile

Hey, come to think of it, I wish they would beg for a Jim Morrison alt.

I would mojo the you know what out of them brother.

Ha David, I only like one of his songs, and i cant think of the name of it, but, would probably send something in if they asked for an alt. Cliff

Veteran
Veteran
So David's B.S. notwithstanding grin. that's $13.98 for Joanne. Still not impressed.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Yeah, on the money side of this, I havent seen any. CLiff

Journeyman
Journeyman
Well Bob, maybe not a lot of money being seen by us here but we're having fun making music and there is the possibility of recouping some of the expenses through licensing using Songtradr. I don't think any of us are purely in it for the money and if you are then you are in the wrong business and should just stop. We make music because we love to and if we can make a little cash off of it why not?

I'm probably one of the few people on this forum that makes a living off of playing music but very... VERY little of that comes from songwriting and recording. What little extra money I make performing usually goes right back into my art so I can get better tools and skills to get better at recording and producing. Maybe one day I'll make that next hit song or get a $50k licensing deal (which would be great) but that's not why I make music. I do it because I love it.

Samuel Davis Jr
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Veteran
Veteran
Well said Samuel! I also do it because I love it. It sure beats watching TV in the evenings. That said, I am not about to give up my "real" job (I write the specifications and document processes for custom built financial software projects).

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
RIding Hwy 49 got shortlisted again today, it is at the music supervisor on one listing. Lots of fun this stuff. They have just posted a Gram Parson alt, I was a big Gram Parsons fan, have done several of his covers, but, really never wrote anything similiar to his style of the song they want, it is an odd song and not one of his better ones. Why would anyone want that style that knows Gram Parson songs? Oh Well CLiff

Congratulations on your shortlist. I'm a big fan of Gram Parsons music too. Relative to this discussion, I have written songs similar to his style and actually sold an original recording to be included in a Gram Parsons documentary. While I can't pitch that particular song, I may have another one I can.

Encouragement to the forum not to quit writing, that song collected dust for 44 years before it was 'discovered'. The record company that purchased the rights has received 6 Grammy nominations over the years. And, I've netted more in royalties from that song than the entire album it was released on grossed....

Veteran
Veteran
Well Bob, maybe not a lot of money being seen by us here but we're having fun making music and there is the possibility of recouping some of the expenses through licensing using Songtradr. I don't think any of us are purely in it for the money and if you are then you are in the wrong business and should just stop. We make music because we love to and if we can make a little cash off of it why not?

I'm probably one of the few people on this forum that makes a living off of playing music but very... VERY little of that comes from songwriting and recording. What little extra money I make performing usually goes right back into my art so I can get better tools and skills to get better at recording and producing. Maybe one day I'll make that next hit song or get a $50k licensing deal (which would be great) but that's not why I make music. I do it because I love it.

Well, Sammy, you don't know me at all. Judging by your videos, though, I was making money playing music before you were even born. In New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston, Miami...you've heard of these places, right?

I've paid more dues than you could even imagine, so have a little respect.

Regards,

Bob

Last edited by 90 dB; 08/17/18 03:28 AM.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

Congratulations on your shortlist. I'm a big fan of Gram Parsons music too. Relative to this discussion, I have written songs similar to his style and actually sold an original recording to be included in a Gram Parsons documentary. While I can't pitch that particular song, I may have another one I can.

Encouragement to the forum not to quit writing, that song collected dust for 44 years before it was 'discovered'. The record company that purchased the rights has received 6 Grammy nominations over the years. And, I've netted more in royalties from that song than the entire album it was released on grossed....

Charlie that is great, when is the doc coming out, I would love to see it and sure would like to your song!!!! Cliff Yeah, I like Gram, with Emmy lou and with the Flying burrito bros and the submarine band, he brought country around the rock world. My favorite song of his is the return of the grievous angel, I have a song with that in it. Thanks for the info Charlie Cliff

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
The documentary is an audio and booklet release in vinyl and cd media and was released back in 2016.

I'm unsure if it's allowed to pitch commercially released material but the record company and apparently a private individual that purchased a copy of the documentary each released a YouTube copy of my song used in the documentary. Since that has nothing to do with me and YouTube links are allowed, here is the link to my song - I Saw Her Cry

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 08/18/18 03:41 PM.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

Well, Sammy, you don't know me at all. Judging by your videos, though, I was making money playing music before you were even born. In New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston, Miami...you've heard of these places, right?

I've paid more dues than you could even imagine, so have a little respect.

Regards,

Bob

I think you took that the wrong way. All I'm saying is that your comments make it sound like all you care about is how much money people have made off of Songtradr but that's not why everybody does it. Some people just do it for fun.

I'm sure you've been around the block a few more times than I have and I consider myself lucky to be doing music full time at my age. Yes I've heard of those places and have been to a couple of them. Not my cup of tea though. However, I have performed in England, Itally and China. Now those are some places I wouldn't mind returning to someday.

Last edited by Samuel Davis; 08/18/18 09:57 PM.

Samuel Davis Jr
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Veteran
Veteran
We used to play in places y’all have likely never heard off. Little Georgia towns they were smile

Oh yeah, the topic...we had three finalists this week. Nice given that our Americana styles are rarely requested.

J&B

Journeyman
Journeyman
Congrats Janice and Bud

Samuel Davis Jr
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We used to play in places y’all have likely never heard off. Little Georgia towns they were smile

Oh yeah, the topic...we had three finalists this week. Nice given that our Americana styles are rarely requested.

J&B

You guys are on a roll!!!! Cliff

Journeyman
Journeyman
Thank You Charlie, I will give a listen and look for the doumentary, I actually think I may have seen it a couple of years back, but, will look again. Cliff

Journeyman
Journeyman

Where abouts? My wife is from Savanah area. She probably knows some of those places.

Have you ever heard of Unadilla? They do a big motorcycle event there called the Angel City Rally. I would like to go one year.

Samuel Davis Jr
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Journeyman
Journeyman
I'm guessing a lot of folks from this forum submitted on ST for the 2018 country music listing. I sent a bunch, got one shortlisted, Montgomery 1947, who else put in for this one? Cliff

Veteran
Veteran
I'm guessing a lot of folks from this forum submitted on ST for the 2018 country music listing. I sent a bunch, got one shortlisted, Montgomery 1947, who else put in for this one? Cliff

"We are looking for new hit Country songs that were recorded and released in 2018. In the message box, please confirm the year of the song to be considered."

That made no sense to us. New "hit" Country songs huh? Recorded and released in 2018 huh? So if our song is not a "hit" and was recorded in December we are twice outa luck?

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

I got shortlisted on some stuff at 3 a.m. Los Angeles time.

Do you think somebody was in the office listening?

Or did a robot steal my curator??

smile

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Veteran
Veteran
I would not assume that the email notification time reflects when the song was listened to. They do work in mysterious ways.

Expert
Expert
Do you guys pay them ?.

Or is it like Soundcloud you just post free and they pick your song if your lucky enough.

Or ?.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Like God?

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Beat,

4.99 a month pro subscription to get enough monthly credits to really do anything.

I said I would give it year or so. It's a cup of coffee. But I won't do that forever if it seems their model is the 4.99, the postings are bait, and only an algorithm is "listening."

Journeyman
Journeyman
Yeah odd how it was phrased, I suppose recorded and released this year, new in other words and good enough to be a hit. That's how I translate it J&B. CLiff

Veteran
Veteran
Beat,

4.99 a month pro subscription to get enough monthly credits to really do anything.

I said I would give it year or so. It's a cup of coffee. But I won't do that forever if it seems their model is the 4.99, the postings are bait, and only an algorithm is "listening."

The $5 per month is worth it for us for completely unlimited album, EP and single releases to all the major platforms. And done with very little hassle. Cheaper and easier than the other distributors.

Reading their blog, etc., does indicate some major placements and they are obviously pitching music from their genre playlists, etc., in addition to the "wanted" listings. And from a "buyer" perspective it's easy to find music that might suit your needs by searching or looking at the featured playlists.

We have three songs featured on short playlists under the roots genre. I discovered them by accident. We received no notification of it but it would appear that it was done by a human. And we are happy to be there.

My biggest issue is their wanky website and lack of a phone app. If they lack funding to do that right then you gotta wonder about their longevity. I hope they prosper as I think they have a good business model.

Journeyman
Journeyman

I got shortlisted on some stuff at 3 a.m. Los Angeles time.

Do you think somebody was in the office listening?

Or did a robot steal my curator??

smile

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

There may have been someone in one of their offices. After all some of the listings I've applied to lately have had 3am deadlines.

Samuel Davis Jr
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Journeyman
Journeyman

Congrats. I just got all 4 songs I submitted shortlisted. Pretty happy about that.

Samuel Davis Jr
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Journeyman
Journeyman
Beat,

That's one expensive cup of coffee lol

Samuel Davis Jr
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Journeyman
Journeyman

Congrats. I just got all 4 songs I submitted shortlisted. Pretty happy about that.

Great job and good luck Samuel!!!! 4 shortlisted is awesome!!!

Veteran
Veteran
Beat,

Been to Starbucks lately? smile

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Or you could skip one visit to Panera for a cup of soup and half a sandwich and finance a new album release.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Beat,

Been to Starbucks lately? smile

Nope. I only do Starbucks maybe once or twice a year. Mostly I do gas station coffee or make my own.

Samuel Davis Jr
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Samuel,

Have you ever tried pouring gas station peanuts into a bottle of coke and hitting the road?

It makes a good lunch man when you're heading off to a gig at a bar with chicken wire.

Veteran
Veteran

Samuel,

Have you ever tried pouring gas station peanuts into a bottle of coke and hitting the road?

It makes a good lunch man when you're heading off to a gig at a bar with chicken wire.

Hahaha...I grew up doing that. My aunt ran a little country store on a dirt road and I'd walk to it, watch the old men sitting on the benches in bib overalls whittlin' and then go in and pour those nuts in a cold 6oz bottled coke....gotta shake it up too. I nearly finished a song about that store so thanks for the reminder - I need to wrap it up.

Bud

Journeyman
Journeyman

Samuel,

Can't say I have. This it the first I've heard of it. I do love me some Cajun style boiled peanuts though.

Samuel Davis Jr
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Journeyman
Journeyman
Peanuts in a coke, yep it's good.

Expert
Expert
4.99 a month pro subscription Yep not too bad.

I am going to look it up keeps the interest if nothing else.

Have you ever tried pouring gas station peanuts into a bottle of coke and hitting the road? HA ! Ha !. Good one .

Last edited by beatmaster; 08/23/18 10:01 AM.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Veteran
Veteran

Samuel, Have you ever tried pouring gas station peanuts into a bottle of coke and hitting the road? It makes a good lunch man when you're heading off to a gig at a bar with chicken wire.

David, you shouldn't need the excuse of a gig at a bar with chicken wire to enjoy a Coke with peanuts. That's a good lunch anytime. I agree with with Bud that the Coke has to be the small, 6 1/2 ounce bottle. Lance salted peanuts are the best for this combo.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Ha ha ha!

Jim, that is some good thinking.

When I get to Winston-Salem we'll have to sit in front of the store and have a couple of those!!

Veteran
Veteran
OK, there is Joanna's $13.98. Anyone else make any money from Songtrdr? Like cash, Moohla, Brass, Coin, Sheckels, anything?

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
$32 and change for July. August due soon. Been in contact with some Colorado real estate agents.

Bud

Veteran
Veteran
$32 and change for July. August due soon. Been in contact with some Colorado real estate agents.

Bud

Is that only from Songtradr, or iTunes, etc. combined?

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Mostly from iTunes and Spotify and some from Mood Media licenses. I should’ve clarified that. Phone typing. We’ve made it to a music supervisor 33 times. 22 of those were through deals. Hometown Refugee now resides with a supervisor - not expecting any more than the other 10 that died at that point. One thing that does seem significant is that we have three songs on three different roots genre playlists. Each playlist has only around a dozen songs. We didn’t submit them any way - they were just picked up with no notification from ST. I just found them looking through their featured genres. At least somebody there seems to like what we’re doing. $5 a month - we’ll play. But I have zero plans to produce any songs specifically for a placement. We do it for fun, post it here and then upload to ST. And it is very infrequently that they ask for any music that even remotely resembles our stuff.

OK back to the Hurricane Michael count down.

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks. That's what I thought. Anybody with income from Songtradr only?

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Anyone?

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Looks like no one is using the Starmaker Machine Bob.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sslechta
Looks like no one is using the Starmaker Machine Bob.

laugh

Journeyman
Journeyman
Yeah, I have had 2 make it to music supervisor, end of the road. It doesn't seem promising in the long run. I am not into the younger scene, and probably will not make any money at this. CLiff

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Steve and Bob,

That is pretty funny--really--and you both are probably more than 100% right in whatever direction you are coming from. There is a lot of delusion out there in the Starmaker Universe.

HOWEVER:

As for myself, I long ago decided that I am only doing this for fun, and as a great hobby. I have NO preconceptions (or delusions) that anything is going to happen with ANYTHING I do in this market beyond having some fun and getting some streams.

Still, ya never know. Someone here might get lucky, so I do not want to be discouraging to anyone. I don't think discouraging people, or yourself even, is healthy.

Yes, I do believe that about 99.999999 percent of what is going on in today's world is a business model based on hype and delusion, really. It cuts across all industries. Apple has built a fortune on it--but that's another tale.

But that's not going to stop me, personally, from having fun.

So yeah, I have been shown to a lot of music supervisors and have not made a dime. Haven't given that a second thought. I have about a gazillion more songs to write for fun. I just like to play them back for myself.

I have to get my good music from somewhere, don't I?

smile

Veteran
Veteran
"Anybody with income from Songtradr only?"

So, I take that as a "no" from you?

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

No.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,690
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200