Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Your Band-in-a-Box for Windows purchase includes RealBand. You'll find the features of RealBand and Band-in-a-Box complement each other. Both are great additions to have in your musical toolbox.

Audacity is another tool many of us use but technically Audacity is not a DAW, it is an audio editor. It's not a DAW because DAWs work with both audio and MIDI. Audacity doesn't work with MIDI.

You may be able to use the Behringer USB mixer as an audio interface. If Audacity can use the Behringer USB mixer then Band-in-a-Box and RealBand will be able to use the mixer to move audio in and out of your computer.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Fingers,

I will try and make this as simple as I can. I am glad you have Audacity because that will come in handy toward the end. Everything I am saying is to help you stay within "spec" and not get kicked out. For stuff you want to play for your friends, you can do whatever you want. But if you want it to get passed on this is what I recommend.

1. Less is more. The more effects, or more tools you add to your process, the greater the risk you run of sounding thin and metallic. Same goes for tracks. Seven or eight are enough, though when you start getting fancy you may triple the vocals or double the drums, but in terms of instruments don't go over four or five. Deadly.

2.You need a simple decent DAW and an a good audio interface and a great condensor mic and good solid cables for your guitar. Everything has to be shielded. You have to spend at least $300 on the mic. Go to a music store and ask for help on buying a good condensor mic that has the different patterns, such as the cardioid pattern which you will use most frequently.

3. Get a microphone stand shield for your mic. This is critical. It will save you hours later trying to fix vocals or anything recorded with that mic. It traps the sound around the mic, short non-scientific version.

Mic Shield

4. Get a good audio interface like the Focusrite. That also comes with a bunch of free Eqing software to get your started.

5. Avoid mixers. Go straight into the audio interface. Anything that has electrical power that comes before the audio interface input will add some electrical noise and alter the cleanness of your signal. That will add to the brittle metallic sound later.

6. Your condensor mic will require "phantom power." That button is on the Focusrite. Remember to turn it on when you are using the mic. Turn it off for everything else going direct (like guitars.)

7. If possible, record all your parts dry (no effects) and then add effects to them later. In the free DAW "Real Band" that comes with BIAB, you get Amplitube for free. There are some awesome Band in a Box amp and pedal presets in the free Amplitube that comes with Real Band. Check out all of them. There is some stuff in there that will make your dry electric sound like Keith Urban but it is under control and won't make you sound metallic. There are some Amplitube bass presets that will clean up the bass part well.

8. If you are using a Real Track electric that already has an effect (Not a DI or Direct Input choice) leave it alone. Adding an effect on a track that has an effect is the kiss of death in mixing for these purposes. It will sound thin and metallic. You can add an EQ to it, but you can't add an amp effect on top of an amp effect unless you really know what you're doing. The explanation on that is too long for these purposes.

9. Keep it really simple and let Band in a Box do its thing insofar as the mixes that come with Xtra styles, which I highly recommend if you are going into production work. Get all 4 packs and buy all of them that come out. Trust me on this one. They are pre-mixed. They have all of the modern sounds and modern mixes you are looking for. Again, less is more. They have done the work for you. You can flip through the demos on the web real fast to find what sound you want for a certain sound that is being asked for.

10. Use audiophile version if you can. The sounds are ready to go and you don't need to hardly touch them. If you use the regular version, export the files for each track and then use audacity to do a gain change and shape the tracks until they sound great.

11. Inside your DAW (like Real Band) record just a few really good tracks on your own but KEEP IT SIMPLE. You HAVE to invest in some EQ tools, there is no way around it. I don't use Real Band for mixing, so ask people here who do what EQing tools they use in Real band on drums, Vocals, guitars bass. Create presets you can use over and over. Spend a lot of time finding those Eqing tools and building those presets. Again, I don't use Real Band for mixing, just track generation so I can't say. I use Sonar still for mixing and have about a thousand dollars worth of VSTs I suppose (or maybe more) so I am afraid I won't be of much help in the beginning stage set up.

12. Whatever you do, keep it very very simple and only add the effects you have to to give the vocals some richness, add sparkle and thump to the drums, or tame the bass.

13. Export.

14. Go into Audacity and look at that file. I almost always do three things.

A. I do a 1.5:1 compression on the file to bring it into line. Compressed based upon peaks box unchecked.

B. Then I do ONE pass at compress based upon peaks. "Check" the box.

C. Then I normalize to -0.9. That gives me some head room.

Finally, I go into Ozone and use the simple of very gentle polishing.

I use the TT_DR Meter to make sure I am not clipping, and that my dynamic range is at least 9 but preferably 12. If you can find this meter, get it. It will be your most valuable tool. If it says "over" on the TT DR meter they will kick you out. If the dynamic range is like "5" they will kick you out. Overcompressed. In audacity, if your .wav looks like a big blue brick they will kick you out. It is overcompressed and maxing out at every area of the loudness meters.

Making a production ready song BIAB is very possible, but it takes a village to raise a song.

Dive in and start learning and ask as many questions as you can of the pros and they will help you.

You can start right away using audiophile version if you are doing just instrumentals.

Just create a song in BIAB, let BIAB do its thing, export (save as .wav) go into audacity, do that compression routine, normalize, cut out the click track, give it a one sec moment of silence, a slight fade out at the end to get rid of any noise and a one sec or two sec silence at the end, print, and you are good to go.

Submit.

That's about it for the day.

Let me know how else I can help.

FYI: My song "Running from the Law" was mastered usually EXACTLY the same steps described in Audacity above with only a very mild polish in Ozone. I think it is now on about 15 internal playlists at SongTradr in addition to being forwarded. Check out the .wav form. If you ADD anything to BIAB you should not take a .wav form that looks like this and turn it into a brick or add anything that sounds harsh or metallic. You have to stay warm. The warmth of the tone is EVERYTHING.

Be careful.

https://www.songtradr.com/user/song/david-snyder/running-from-the-lawd120

https://www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

Veteran
Veteran
Great info on your last couple of posts David!

For Fingers..... The RAM on your PC is a little low at 4 Gig. If you upgrade some of those software tools that David referred to, you may need to at least double your RAM. Some software eats a lot of resources.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yeah, Steve you are right. 8 gigs of RAM is what you will need. Your computer uses 2 while it is idle.

But 8 is more than plenty for what you will be doing, as long as you aren't running Google Chrome in the background.

wink

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Yeah, Steve you are right. 8 gigs of RAM is what you will need. Your computer uses 2 while it is idle.

But 8 is more than plenty for what you will be doing, as long as you aren't running Google Chrome in the background.

wink

David brings up another good point with his Google Chrome remark. Have nothing running in the background that can interfere with your recordings. That is disable your Ethernet card and turn off you anti-stuff like anti-virus, anti-spyware etc. Just be sure to turn them back on when you are finished with your music session.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Well, I am not sure I will ever turn off my firewall while I was connected to the Internet, or EVER, or not sure you need to turn off Norton (I wouldn't ever), but definitely go into task manager stop all that other junk that gets going if it isn't a system program. Mario has a point there.

Some people don't realize that if you have 8 tabs open in Chrome you have 8 instances of Chrome running.

And you go, Gosh, why is my computer not running???? Is it something evil???

Amazon "music helper" or whatever it is called is atrocious. Yeah, suck up all my memory and CPU. Very helpful. Thanks Amazon.

F
F
Jim Fogle - Thanks for the information and input.

Last edited by fingers55; 03/23/18 12:14 PM.
Expert
Expert
I was under the impression that BIAB being a 32bit application it could only access up to 4gig. Even though other applications could use more. Limiting the number of plugins and/or rendering tracks can greatly reduce memory use. Having a really good sound card however is paramount.

My thoughts

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 03/23/18 01:03 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
F
F
David-

I really appreciate you taking the time to give me all this information. I just met you but, in my life. I have found that people like you who are generous with their time and talents will have great blessings & positive outcomes in their endeavors. Best of luck with your submissions.

If you want to hear some of my previous home studio recordings, go to this link

http://www.theskynotes.com/new.htm

(This is a website for a band I play in once a month.)

(I am addressing your comments below in parenthesis)

1. Less is more. (I agree with this philosophy).

2. Mics & DAW (I have some great mics and will get a decent DAW.)

3. Get a microphone stand shield for your mic. (Have one of these as well).

4. Get a good audio interface like the Focusrite. (I will check this out)

5. Avoid mixers. Go straight into the audio interface. (Kind of figured this)

6. Your condensor mic will require "phantom power." (Got it - been there done that)

7. If possible, record all your parts dry (no effects) and then add effects to them later. (Always have recorded this way)

8. If you are using a Real Track electric that already has an effect (Not a DI or Direct Input choice) leave it alone.
(I try to use minimal effects)

9. Keep it really simple and let Band in a Box do its thing insofar as the mixes that come with Xtra styles, which I highly recommend if you are going into production work. Get all 4 packs and buy all of them that come out. Trust me on this one. (I will check this out)

10. Use audiophile version if you can. (OK will do)

11. You HAVE to invest in some EQ tools, there is no way around it. (Got it - I have 100's VST's from my days of using Yamaha DSP FACTORY with Minnetonka MTRAX software They might be outdated but I have them somewhere)

12. Whatever you do, keep it very very simple and only add the effects you have to to give the vocals some richness, add sparkle and thump to the drums, or tame the bass. (AGREE)

13. Export.

14. Go into Audacity and look at that file. I almost always do three things.

A. I do a 1.5:1 compression on the file to bring it into line. (I usually do 1:2:1)

B. Then I do ONE pass at compress based upon peaks. "Check" the box. (I will try this)

C. Then I normalize to -0.9. That gives me some head room. (I will try this)

Finally, I go into Ozone and use the simple of very gentle polishing. (I will try this)

Making a production ready song BIAB is very possible, but it takes a village to raise a song. Dive in and start learning and ask as many questions as you can of the pros and they will help you.

(Thanks again for your encouragement and advice. I did submissions for NSAI reviews 4-5 years ago, entered song contests etc. Have some friends who have gotten songs on TV through TAXI and also and a friend with a connection to NEW LINE CINEMA.

Right now, I am looking to make some great recordings of my originals and to be inspired to write new ones with BIAB. I do have 8-10 instrumentals to do with BIAB and may consider sending them off them to
some song submission sites.

Have a great weekend - FINGERS

Veteran
Veteran
32gb here. I like having BiaB, Logic Pro X, Ozone 8, Nectar 2, Neutron 2, a few Waves products and Safari open simultaneously with no speed issues. smile FWIW I just bought a new iMac with 8gb and upgraded it myself for < one half what Apple wanted.

Bud

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Sounds great Fingers!

I went your site. Hey, I like your songs man. If you ever want advice on NSAI give me a shout. I am a coordinator.

Sounds like you are off to the races. Let me know how I can help.

BTW, I see I have 64 new messages from SongTradr. Looks like 6 more songs just got forwarded and made the final cut and are being listened to by people all over the place and have been added to 8 to 10 more internal playlists.

Hmmmmmmm. I'm starting to really like Band in a Box.

smile

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

You are an animal Bud.

I was just sayin' I think for what Fingers is doing, 8 is all he needs.

But since you are recording Rush in your living room and need 32 mics for the drums I can see how you need the extra horsepower.

I can't wait to hear Xanadu Redux: Return of the Steely Eyed Gargoyle and the Crimson King on Bastille Day: Part Five.

Get on with your bad self.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Well, thanks to this thread, I joined the Songtradr site today and will be getting some of my stuff uploaded over the next few days. Although the site recommends highest quality possible - they list 48kz I usually save my files at 44.1/16 and will continue to do so and see how that flies.

I've followed a few BIAB forum members I've found on the site so far and a few have already followed me in return. Thanks for that.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
David,

Congrats on your songs getting through to music supervisors. That's no easy feat to accomplish these days!

Also, thank you for taking the time to post such explicit information on software, settings and how to use. This insight into your recording and processing techniques provides very valuable information for all of us.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
F
F
David- Congrats on your songs making it to the final cut. Glad you enjoyed my tunes. Have not had time for NSAI but if I get back into it, will hit you up for advice. Thanks again, Kevin (Fingers)

Last edited by fingers55; 03/23/18 04:04 PM.
Journeyman
Journeyman
David, after reading your post earlier about Songtradr possibly using analizers for loudnes I took a closer look at the songs I was uploading and submitting today. After making the adjustments I ended up having 3 out of six songs shortlisted and 2 forwarded.

I look at my other songs on there and I came to the realization that I need to remix a lot of them. Luckily I just got some new VSTs that will help with this.

Thanks for sharing your tips and observations on this.

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

That's great Charlie. Hey I followed you too! Hey man, you need to post a pic! Everybody else has one!!

smile

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks great Samuel. Which category was that?

I am really happy for you. We all need to hang together. It's us against 100,000!

smile

Hey I see there is a Hank Williams request going on. I KNOW there are some people on here who could slam dunk that one!

Yeah everyone out there selling plugins is telling you need to max it out and make it as loud as you.

No---you don't. You don't need to do that at all. That trend is going backwards.

Let's do this together y'all!!!!

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Thanks Noel.

I have always found that success is a team sport.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

That's great Charlie. Hey I followed you too! Hey man, you need to post a pic! Everybody else has one!!

smile

Yes I saw that you followed me. All of the BIAB Forum members I found, I followed and they reciprocated. Great fellowship. Thank you for following and thanks to the others as well.

I also saw that Hank Williams posting and submitted "My Sad Story" after uploading it. I now have 3 songs uploaded with more to come.

Picture? Hmmm that's a challenge but my page on that site is still a work in progress.

I also agree 100% with you that BIAB is completely capable of producing top level, commercial releases. On many different levels.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 03/24/18 03:32 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,626
Posts735,220
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Steve Smith, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185