Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
C
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
C
Yeah, I agree with your comments. I personally think that this is what makes him so good! The imperfections give the listener a sense of equality, unlike others. I will prefer someone to whom I can actually relate, instead of all the fake, perfect and superficial ones. Life is not perfect neither is one's life, they all have to stop portraying it that way!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
The reference to Bob Dylan is a good one! Certainly his voice and guitar playing is not great and he put out some stuff that I would consider half baked in terms of today's standards.

Dylan is of a different place in time. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely admire what he has has delivered. He is more poetic than musical though. However, we surely can't believe that if it worked for Dylan, then it's alright to use the same approach and 40+ years later it will still be OK for everyone else too.

The inference from Graham's video is that a music writer in this century should be prepared to just chuck it out there, imperfections and all, because they shouldn't be bothered to spend the time to improve it to the best of their ability. Don't worry about the quality, as long as there is regular quantity, you fans will continue to savor the moments.

We're not talking George Martin or Quincy Jones here. How does this one person dictate 'The New Rules Of the Music Industry'? What absolute nonsense.

Look at it from another approach:

A car manufacturer makes fantastic looking sporty new cars. The manufacturer churns them out in masses - because to them, quantity is more important. Management decide they don't have to pay much attention to quality, everyone will buy them because they produce them cheaply in great numbers. They're always available. When the customer drives them, they don't handle well, the seats are uncomfortable and the air conditioning doesn't work. The manufacturer could have spent time improving the model but just expected the masses to love their cars because they got them to the market quickly. What did the manufacturer do? The manufacturer just embraced imperfection.

You are unwell, and go to the doctor. He can't be bothered diagnosing your ailment too carefully and has a heap of patients in the waiting room, so just gives you a quick checkup and tells you to take two days off work and rest. What did that doctor do? He just Embraced Imperfection.

Am I singing Graham's latest song?

Any professional should strive to deliver the best they can.

That self-promoting YouTube video is just encouraging the music industry that it's OK to deliver junk.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
FWIW - Many times I will take a first recording even if it has a wort or two over one that has been polished to a dull track. I'll take emotion over perfection most of the time. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Nobody here is talking about Bob Dylan. We are talking about Joe Smith (John's brother). Every time a discussion like this comes up people start pointing to firmly established stars as their example. That is NOT apples to apples.

Much the same way I used to have people tell me, after saying "I'm too old for this stuff", that Paul McCartney is in his 70s. Well, hurrah for Paul. If your believe your metaphor connecting one of the most famous songwriters and performers in the history of songwriters and performers to some shlub in Cleveland that nobody has ever heard of and doesn't care about, then it holds water. McCartney was more famous by age 22 than I ever dreamed of being.

So, on topic, Dylan could release a CD of nursery rhyme covers and the Dylan cultists would buy millions of copies. He doesn't HAVE to impress anybody anymore. And you can take ANY major star and put their name in that statement. "They" are not relevant to "us". Compare THIS fat old short guy in Ohio to other fat old short guys. Doesn't it follow that for THIS fat old short guy to sell more units than the other fat old short guys, THIS fat old short guy has to write better songs and perform them better than the other fat old short guys? Turning out half finished work blends me into the gray when I need to be shimmering white to get attention.

And for the record, I don't own even one Dylan album. I am not that great a fan. I recognize, but not idolize, his writing. Success is usually relative to the time in which it was achieved. This is 2018.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie,

Someone here IS talking about Bob Dylan.

It is ME. I talked about him. Do you not read it?

And for another thing, at one time he was Joe Smith.

So try and stay on track dude before you go on another cranky rampage.

And for another thing, Clarence Clemons put down the best sax solo ever recorded in rock history. Says who? Me. And Bruce. That's who.

Say anything else or argue anymore about that and I will show up at your house with a truck full of drunken rednecks who like Bruce. They don't fight clean.

Now that we have that out of the way, when are we going to record our next song Eddie?

It has been like 4 weeks. Do you have writer's block or something?

smile

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Hayle no2.jpg (232.91 KB, 150 downloads)
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I read a Michael Cain biography...

Yes, it's an excellent book: Michael Caine - Acting in Film: An Actor's Take on Movie Making. It made me re-think about him as an actor, and acknowledge that at the end of the day, he - like everyone else - is just trying to make a living.

Graham's point is that you're now required to be self-marketing, and the current market demands that artists keep bored consumers engaged by constantly providing fresh content.

You're no longer a musician first - you're a brand, and the content that you provide is what creates loyalty. This loyalty can be monetized once you've got something that you want to promote, such as an album to sell, or a concert to attend.

What he's suggesting is considering using your unfinished and unpolished material as content to provide in creating your brand.

This means that you can share stuff that's not yet finished, or release partial songs. You can release singles instead of waiting for the album to be completed.

What this gives you is a larger stream of content to provide to your audience. The beauty of this approach is that you turn existing content (rough mixes, incomplete songs) into new content.

Got a video of the band rehearsing? A rough version of your song with temporary lyrics? A rough mix of a song? All of these are brand-building content.

At the end of the day, you can still release a polished, finished product. But in the mean time, you've kept your bored, content-hungry consumers happy, attentive, and engaged. Loyal customers spend money on your products.

He also gives the advice of not spending time making improvements that - sorry to say - no one is going to hear. Obvious benefits include actually getting things done, and moving on to new things so you get better.

Really, I don't see anything provocative here.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The point about Dylan is that he is not an up and comer who needs to care about how his latest is received. Anything he does after 50 years is going to sell

And what I am working on right now, trust me, you want NO part of this monumental piece of crap!! LOL!

The goal for 2018 was to write songs of different styles that I have never done with RB before. There was the jazz tune, before that the big band piece, there is a disco song in progress, and a trance/industrial. There will also be reggae at some point.

When I sit down anymore I have to remind myself "NOT country on this one." I am also trying to write a piece with movements like a true symphony. If Jimmy Webb can do it, so can I.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
After all of this very entertaining group of posts, when I read about someone basically saying, "Don't worry about perfection just get it out there", what he means is perfect to YOU not to anyone else.

That is the big issue with creative people. We all can come up with something decent, record, mix, master and it's done. Then we listen to it. And again, and again and every time we listen we hear something. Oh crap, I should have done this, that or whatever.

That's when you make the fatal mistake: You go in and start changing it. DON'T DO THAT.

That's what I think Graham means when he says don't worry about making it perfect.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
After all of this very entertaining group of posts, when I read about someone basically saying, "Don't worry about perfection just get it out there", what he means is perfect to YOU not to anyone else.

That is the big issue with creative people. We all can come up with something decent, record, mix, master and it's done. Then we listen to it. And again, and again and every time we listen we hear something. Oh crap, I should have done this, that or whatever.

That's when you make the fatal mistake: You go in and start changing it. DON'T DO THAT.

That's what I think Graham means when he says don't worry about making it perfect.

Bob

I agree with this sentiment as well. We already know that music is subjective. That is why there are so many genres out there. Just because we find something imperfect or flawed in our own content doesn't mean someone else will see the same issues as we do.

Cheers,
Ember
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I didn't have the time to read all the posts.... looks like a controversial topic.

My POV is simple.

It doesn't have to be perfect, but you do need to have tuned instruments and sing in tune.

And the level of perfection depends greatly on what you're planning to do with it.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Ok,

I am going to agree with Bob on this. And of course to Herb's point, we should tune our guitars. And try and sing on pitch IF we can. smile

BUT--I learned a lesson on this a long time ago. I wrote a certain song and some people said "Man, that gave me goosebumps. It was kind of lo fi, and it wasn't by the book, but dang, it was strong."

Then a group of song evaluators had a long list of things I needed to do and change. I did it. Finally, after about 11 versions they said it was "professional" now. I let my friends listen to it.

They said: "Man, they took a beautiful thing and turned it into garbage."

They were right. I couldn't live with myself until I deleted the professional version and went back to the very first one where I sounded like I meant it.

Sometimes sounding like you mean it is everything, and sometimes you can fiddle around with stuff WAY too much.

So if that is what Bob is saying, I say, yeah.

smile

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
If you can sing in tune and you can accompany yourself on an acoustic (in tune) instrument to an acceptable level and you are sincere about what you are delivering, then (most) people will love it. So why not put it out for the world to enjoy even if it is not perfect.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Depends on your goals. If you are trying to break into music as a career or maintain one you should avoid releasing less than perfect work unless you have an angle. For example, John Prine released his original rough recordings in a collection but he waited 40 years to do so! Had he released those instead of the haybale album I suspect it might have limited his ultimate success.

Of course, on the practical side, acknowledging that none of us has a snowball's chance in hell of achieving a Prine level success story, maybe just shoveling it out there is just fine! If almost no one is listening I guess the quality is not much of an issue.

Maybe the real trick is doing high quality AND sounding like you mean it!

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 03/27/18 11:14 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If you can sing in tune and you can accompany yourself on an acoustic (in tune) instrument to an acceptable level and you are sincere about what you are delivering, then (most) people will love it. So why not put it out for the world to enjoy even if it is not perfect.

video is blocked on copyright grounds.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

video is blocked on copyright grounds.

Click on the title to take you to her YouTube video... Click on her name for more videos... they are not only quite impressive but also seem to fit nicely with the subject of this thread... but then she's just a kid doing her thing... perhaps she doesn't know any better eek

You can also get there by clicking this link
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8l-j5VJkouBxR5knNd7Ewg/videos

Jim
†=☮&♥
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
What a great idea for a thread, JoAnne. Plainly, the video talk has touched a lot of hearts. Retired people like me don't think so much in terms of branding, or even business; but i can say, getting out there and playing in front of people, amusing them, touching their hearts, is a time tested "strategy."
With that, please let me briefly share an idea. We all know that in film, now video, so much effort went into clarity, or perfection, I mean be it wide screen 70mm CinemaScope or 1081 high resolution. Especially, big screen theater. Ever wonder why? It's because the object was to create a reality bigger than life, a striking and lasting impression. Walt Disney with his cartoons --- blues bluer than blue, reds redder than red. Genius.
Before I drifted away from bothering with it,, I saw Anthony Hopkins in "Silence of the Lambs." I can still see that crazy SOB, glaring through the bars.
Now, John is right, Everything has changed. We are looking for something else. Super perfection is not enough. Drama perfected is melo drama -- overdone.
How does this relate to music? Well, we listened to the Beatles on high fidelity stereo, and were stunned. Look at the super productions today....how many dancers, how many flashing lights, how much skin, I mean, what does it take?
Me, I am in the direction of creating a little Vimeo channel of PD Christian that could be an oasis in the hectic world of content. I have the time, but can't slow down long enough to get it done. (Too connected!)

Last edited by edshaw; 03/28/18 07:53 AM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm still hoping somebody will jump in with an operational definition of perfect.

We do adhere to the adage that our best product is not achieved when there is nothing left to add but rather when there is nothing left to take away.

Off-Topic
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Also simply being at one with what you do. Not seen to be at odds and struggling beyond yourself.

Using: Dell 3268 i3, 8 GB ram, windows 10. Biab version 2017 standard package, no extras.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
I'm still hoping somebody will jump in with an operational definition of perfect.

grin cool grin

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
90dB can introduce you to a tool that will make you perfect!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199