Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello Folks,
I recently finished a new song with a couple of collaborators - one in Wales and another in the US.
I decided, in early December 17, to build the song's structure, style and so forth with BIAB as a compositional tool I suppose as I'd not done that previously.
I had the chord progressions, an intro, some arrangement thoughts etc and the proposed structure in my head so selected a style and built the song from those ideas & was able to yay/nay as I went thanks to BIAB.
I used a pop rock base then added Texas boogie guitars.
Here's that bedrock...
BIAB Building
I only exported the drums to Reaper and set my self to record the rhythm guitars and bass.
I then found a guitarist collaborator who recorded and supplied a solo & some noodling which traversed the Indian Ocean.
Finally a singer decided to join the party. I had the lyrics and he did a little editing to make the words fit his mouth and created a melody which he recorded and sent across the Pacific.
A bit of mixing, some too & fro commentary between the collaborators and here we have it...
The Completed Song
(Leave the Bed) Untried
Andrulonis/cochrane
I‘m not going to ride
This train wreck anymore
I'll step away when fried
Yet wake up on the floor
I can’t rinse the past away
Nor erase where inclined
I’ll take comfort from mundane things
At least those I find.

Just coffee and old memories
For the bad old days aren’t gone
I’ll drink a toast to those who boast
Of sex lives almost [*****]
It's a long, cold time until sunrise
Lies wasted on the lawn
I'll not believe another lie
My heart’s already torn.

When the mood arrives
I walk around my room
I'll make my eyes dilate
And gaze into the gloom
Well I know that I’m quite mad
Lost now and long ago
When you and I were one
So far as I could know.

For the bad old days aren’t gone
Success in Babylon
It's a long, cold time until moonrise
Lies cold upon the lawn
I'll not believe the tears I cry
My heart’s already torn.

When I have nightmares
I can’t see through anymore
I’ll light a fire inside
And open every door
I will throw my words away
Invite darkness in to stay
I lay me down but I cannot sleep
No matter what you say.

SOLO

I‘m not going to ride
This train wreck anymore
I'll leave the bed untried
And wake up by the door
I will eat my heart alive
Now that I’m inclined
Comforted by mundane things
At least those I can find.

For the bad old days I’ve read
Survival thought they’re dead
It's a long, long way from sanity
So prepare for the ride
As of now I will not sleep
Not ever, by your side x 2

Last edited by rayc; 03/30/18 11:54 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ray,

The making of this song sounds like an adventure in its own right! Wales.... USA.... up and down over the equator... back and forth over the International Date Line... Wow!!!

The line, "Just coffee and old memories", really resonated with me. What a great hook for the opening line of the chorus. The minute I heard it, you took me back to the many times I've sat down with a cup of coffee in-hand and simply thought about the past (good and bad).

Some say that the proof of the pudding is in the eating. That seems to be true in this case. What you've accomplished by using BIAB as a compositional tool shows that this approach is worthwhile trying again.

Thanks for taking the time to explain the background and for posting the beginning and the end results. I always enjoy reading about how a song grew. It fascinates me to find out how others go about the craft of songwriting.

I enjoyed the journey you and your collaborators took me on!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Noel,
The internet is a wonderful thing for a non melodic, non singing person like me.
James Dodd is a Welshman who has played on a couple of songs for me. This is the only one complete at present. The other couple are awaiting the singers to finsih their parts.
This is the 1st time I've worked with Tony Andrulonis. He's a chalkie in the US so we have something in common.
I've usually worked backward with BIAB - getting a rough draft into Reaper & them trying to get a Real Drum track to match etc. That ends up being hard yakka as my ancient Roland 505 drum machine has a slight wandering tempo issue which REALLY makes hard work for the Chord Wizard to lock in when I import the basic ideas.
That is evident in another track I'll upload in a while.
Well, working out & building the block in BIAB means I'll have a solid and locked in drum track and anything else I need to lift from the arrangement the program generates.
The song was inspired by a Janis Ian song - I'm a long time fan &, whilst this song is a million miles away stylistcally, I hope that some melancholy break through.
Thanks for your kind words.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Wow, this tune has changed so much, and it sounds fantastic! The punchy beginning really demands your attention. Awesome job, and thanks for sharing the journey with us! The vocalist also sounds like they were the perfect fit.

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Cool rocker! laugh

Originally Posted By: rayc
I've usually worked backward with BIAB - getting a rough draft into Reaper & them trying to get a Real Drum track to match etc. That ends up being hard yakka as my ancient Roland 505 drum machine has a slight wandering tempo issue which REALLY makes hard work for the Chord Wizard to lock in when I import the basic ideas.

Are you familiar with stretch markers in Reaper? You can set markers on the drum track where the beat is falling, and then stretch and snap the part to the grid. There's a quantize feature that will auto-snap for you. Make sure you choose the appropriate stretch algorithm.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very cool tune. Just loved the intro and horns. And when you brought the guitar in you had me. Super vocal and lyric. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ember,
thank you.
It did change a bit but that's cool. I had a solid base to start from with the BIAB drum track et al.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
dcuny,
Thank you very much. I'll look into the tricks & tweaks you mentioned for Reaper. I was able to set bar lines in Chord Wizard but it didn't end up an accurate fit for the other project. I'm using the 2011 Pro version - I'm not sure if it's equipped with those features but will investigate.

Last edited by rayc; 04/01/18 12:00 AM.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Scott C,
You're a generous fellow.
The singer did a fab job on this. I had to do some extra guitar tracks to adjust the song to his phrasing but that's cool. It worked!

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Good rockin' song man.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ray,

An interesting story of how you go there.

The end result is quite nice. Has an early 70's rock sound - a little Youngbloods, little The Band and little Dead...

Really nice mix. Sounds like a classic track. I like your vocalist!

Enjoyed.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ray

Sounding good - I like how you have mixed this one - and it's a really solid rocker.
Probably my favourite of yours.

Peter

User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Good rockin' song man.

Thanks David,
I'll take that compliment & have it bronzed.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Ray
Sounding good - I like how you have mixed this one - and it's a really solid rocker.
Probably my favourite of yours.
Peter

Peter,
Thank you very much.
It was a pretty simple mix for a change - perhaps that wa sthe key!
I appreciate your kindness.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Ray,
An interesting story of how you go there.
The end result is quite nice. Has an early 70's rock sound - a little Youngbloods, little The Band and little Dead...
Really nice mix. Sounds like a classic track. I like your vocalist!
Enjoyed.
fj

Well thank you FJ.
I'll blend those influences into Young Dead Band.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Wow - what a tune! You absolutely nailed this. It is very reminiscent of the 70`s to me. I'm definitely getting those classic rock vibes here. It is perfectly catchy, and the vocal performance is stunning. The whole thing has so much power behind it - it almost forces you to listen!

Absolutely great job here - thanks so much for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Like floyd said it sounds like a classic track.

This would fit in perfectly with some of the classic rock playlists we listen to. Great a bit of a Cream vibe on the intro.

We enjoyed the backstory...thanks for taking the time to share that.

Great write, performances, and the production sounds huge on the monitors. Excellent mix.

Kudos!

J&B

User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - what a tune! You absolutely nailed this. It is very reminiscent of the 70`s to me. I'm definitely getting those classic rock vibes here. It is perfectly catchy, and the vocal performance is stunning. The whole thing has so much power behind it - it almost forces you to listen!

Absolutely great job here - thanks so much for sharing smile

Deryk,
Thank you very much for your generous appraisal. It was, possibly, the fastest process from chord progression to mastering I've been involved in. Thanks to BIAB and my collaborators I suspect.
Tony did a grand job - it's the 1st "rock" song I've heard him sing - he did a marvelous job with melody & performance.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Like floyd said it sounds like a classic track.
This would fit in perfectly with some of the classic rock playlists we listen to. Great a bit of a Cream vibe on the intro.
We enjoyed the backstory...thanks for taking the time to share that.
Great write, performances, and the production sounds huge on the monitors. Excellent mix.
Kudos!
J&B

J&B,
Thank you, thank you. Most of the BIGNESS is multi tracked Fender Squire Mustang into a Marshall Superbass converted to Superlead. Each track double mic'd. I'm constantly amazed at how well the RealDrums come through in mixes. This stereo drum track has a tiny bit of ReaComp Master Bus Glue compression, a smidge of Wide Chamber in ReaVerb, (same verb & settings for any instance in the mix), and just a little tinkering with ReaEQ to reduce the high hats I think. Oh, special secret ingredient - SPS Vintage Warmer 2 - the free version - set to light driven tape.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ray, sounds great with an excellent mix! Torrey

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,468
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195