Page 1 of 2 1 2
#46561 12/04/09 04:22 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
I seem to recall having seen a video that featured a different font than the very basic block letters that appear in the chord area in BIAB 2009.5. Is it possible to change that font to something ...easier on the eyes?

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Oops. Posting from work this morning and working from memory on this one. Don't have BIAB Mac available to check the differences, so the below info may only apply to the Windoze version.

If that doesn't show up as described on the Mac version, rest assured the fonts are there. I'm not liking getting old and not remembering everything as well anymore. sigh.

Sure.

Inside BB, hit the Prefs button, then Display at top left of Prefs window.

"Chordsheet Font" area, where you have a dropdown choice list or just hit the Jazz Fonts button, that's my fav.

--Mac

Mac #46563 12/05/09 05:14 AM
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
On my mac version of 2009.5 I get a choice of three preference windows - one, two and soloist preferences. There is a dropdown choice on the 1st window but it's for "chord display type". An option to chose a different mac * font * for the "normal" chord display doesn't seem to be there. I hope you guys have one, the default block lettering for chords will not win any designer awards. Just sayin.

Last edited by bonecall; 12/05/09 05:15 AM.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Well, bonecall, I'm in front of my bb for Mac with my Macbook right now, and the manual says that there is only one Font available, Truetype, that darn manual also says that the size of the single font is settable in Prefs2 -- but I can't find it there.

i agree with you.

Especially on a Mac.

Macs are supposed to be for makin' great lookin' printouts. And they are. Except when it comes to this program. That needs some fixin'...

--Mac

Mac #46565 12/05/09 09:46 AM
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Well, BIAB is in a league of its own apparently. The interface is, to put it politely, unique and the look utilitarian in the extreme. I realize there must be a ton of legacy issues but at some point, like Steve Jobs did with Mac OS9, ya gotta pull the plug and come to terms with real world considerations like ease of use. In 2009 paying customers expect a modern program to interface with modern design and on that criteria BIAB is a bit of a disaster. I know a bunch of folks put off by that fact alone.

Expert
Expert
IIRC, the Windows version uses the "MS Comic Sans" font in the chordsheet window. It's been a long time, but a friend was running BIAB 2006 on his laptop, and that's what he told me a couple of years ago.

I remember this because I looked for that font, and even installed it on my Mac, but BIAB still showed in the normal font .

I may be wrong on the name though, my memory isn't what it used to be.

It would be nice to have the ability to change the font though.

- Jay

MacPro 5,1/12 core@3.46GHz -- OS X 10.14.6 -- ATI 7970 -- 32 Gig RAM -- Crucial 500GB OS SSD -- Samsung EVO 1TB Audio/Sample SSD -- BIAB 2023 -- Logic Pro X -- Cubase Elements 11 -- Too many plugins
JayO #46567 12/08/09 12:25 PM
O
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
O
No kidding...

I recently finished a survey of 15 musician friends, asking these two questions (independent of the window/mac platform):
1. Have you tried BIAB?
2. If you tried it, do you like it?
3. If you haven't tried it, why not?

Literally, in all 15 cases, the resposes were:
"Tried it, hate the interface. Would not use it"
"Checked it out, and couldn't figure it out"
"That program was obviously written by musicians, not programmers"
"That interface is terrible"

Well, my degree and 40 years of work experience is in Math and Engineering and I can tell you from a statistics point of view, that the bell-curve clearly suggests BIAB folks are loosing a ton of business.

Once upon a time, in the engineering design world, there was a powerful program that other programs couldn't touch but, the interface was Unix based and not user friendly at all. As GIU's developed, new competitive programs with user-friendly interfaces popped up and, eventually, after loosing market share, ProE, put a nice GUI front-end on their program. Unfortunately, they did not start from scratch but, built upon old legacy. You have only to go one to two menu levels deep before being back into the old interface. ProE is no longer in high demand and the cost of their software went from $30k down to $4k and struggling to stay alive.

BIAB has some really great aspects about it but, the program really is only as good as the weakest link.

B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
The program may only be as good as the weakest link but its obvious that Mr Gannon and associates have calculated that they can remain with the nightmarish interface and still make money. In other words the company figures the cost of redesigning the program would not result in the increased amount of sales that would make the hassel worthwhile financially.

In other words plan on dealing with a BIAB 1983 microsoft look and feel for the foreseeable future. (sigh)

Last edited by bonecall; 12/12/09 06:23 PM.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I'll bet they can spell hassle correctly, though.

Mac #46570 12/12/09 06:44 PM
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Quote:

I'll bet they can spell hassle correctly, though.

For that we should give Mr. Gannon and company a pass on the computing world's worst interface?

Nah.

You must have a lot of influence on the powers that be Mac. How about arranging for a 50 % reduction in price for a program that affronts the very idea of Apple's ease of use philosophy?

I'm surprised that Mr Jobs hasn't sent the design police up to Canada way before this.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Patience is a virtue.

If I have any influence at all, it is because I realize that one can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

--Mac

Mac #46572 12/12/09 07:13 PM
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Well stay the course then. The rest of us have a right to comment on a product for which we forked over a fair amount of moolah (spelling?). There's another old bromide that might be applicable here as well - "Its a squeaky wheel that gets the grease."

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
9% of total market isn't even a squeak.

That is what appears to me to be our REAL problem.

Peace.

--Mac

Mac #46574 12/12/09 07:53 PM
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Quote:

9% of total market isn't even a squeak.

And increasing, so they say. Pete and the boyz ain't developing a Mac version because there's no future (read money) involved. If they're going to do it lets hold their feet to the fire to make sure they get it right. I got money on it, MY money, that sez they * will * get it right. They just need a little "encouragement" from time to time to make sure that they do. ;-)

Last edited by bonecall; 12/12/09 08:15 PM.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Such a big spender.

Whatcha got, one license?

Purchased what, about a month ago?

And that gives you the right to post like that and you think that those are encouragements. In quotes.

This deserves a rethink, but I don't believe you will.

--Mac

Mac #46576 12/13/09 05:27 AM
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Quote:

Such a big spender.

Whatcha got, one license?

How many licenses should I buy Mac? And I don't know about you but a couple of hundred bucks these days ain't exactly hay. For a musician anyway.

The more I get into this program the more frustrating it becomes. At the moment despite the manual the interface is one big time sink. Compared with BIAB Finale, another complicated application with legacy issues, is a breeze. And at least with Finale the company doesn't stick you for add-ons after you buy the program. So please pardon my irritation when the folks that maintain this, this... antique, keep adding new features instead of straightening out the interface.

Just my two cents.

Or should I say my two hundred dollars. :-)

to start with it seems.

Last edited by bonecall; 12/13/09 05:32 AM.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
What price have you paid for other Macintosh music programs?

I've got Sibelius here. Cost a lot mo' than two hunnert.

And you really don't want to know what Logic has cost me an' Larry to date, much less ProTools...

And of those three, Sibelius is the only one that has never crashed, frozen nor not done something it was supposed to do at some point or another.

ALL of them have their weakpoints as far as GUI, or figuring out how to implement something or other quickly. The Sibelius manual looks like a Manhattan telephone directory. And it is dwarfed by the Logic manual.

And none of them are autoaccompaniment programs.

One neat thing about Sibelius is that it came with two licenses and can install on Mac or PC from the same disks. So I could put a copy on each of the two platforms here. And really there are two nice things about Sibelius, the second being that the PC version and the Mac version are virtually identical GUI's, give or take the things that have to do with the different Operating Systems.

I think that there is a good future for the Mac version of BiaB but it will take a bit more time to have that. Development has to catch up, if there was anything done wrong it was the loooooong time languishing as BBv12 for Mac that caused this problem. They have solved that problem, lets see how they handle the updates, new vesions, etc. before throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

--Mac

Mac #46578 12/13/09 12:49 PM
O
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
O
Gentlemen...

I didn't mean to start a negative dialog and perhaps I should have phrased my statements in a more positive way (too many years of dealing with whinny employees, I guess...).

I think that we can all agree that BIAB does have some really good and useful things about it, as well as recognizing it's down sides.

From a practical point of view (from nearly 40 years of working with marketing) it's easy for me to read the tea leaves because I see the similarities between my involvements in purchasing software (on a very large scale in excess of multiple 6 figures) and the mathematical statistics of the field of users. Including my own user experience.

As a programmer (an often needed trait for me) I know what going back to the drawing board can be in terms of a real hassle - I'm presently converting code from java to objectiveC and I can't fault the BIAB folks for hoping to minimize their costs/time. Yet, I also know (by experience) the benefit of starting from a clean sheet of paper and I hoped to encourage that by my posting - for two reasons:
1 - So it might lead to a change that users would like and not feel they have to fight it's interface
2 - So BIAB folks could reap greater rewards from an increased volume and more positive audience

And, I suppose lastly, as a geek, I have no problem debugging software and providing feedback - I just hate to have to pay hundreds of bucks to do it and then, to have to pay for an upgrade that (hopefully) fixed the bugs. That's where I draw the line - I'm comfortable with slogging through BIAB in it's current form and will not buy any upgrades nor can I recommend it to my music students.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
As an engineer who has done a bit of QA work, I cannot qualify "fifteen friends" as being statistically significant.

However, I would not have to survey anyone at all in order to state unequivically that BiaB for Mac in its present form needs more work.

Psst. I do recommend that users who can purchase the BB for Win over BB for Mac. At least for the time being.

Matter of fact, it was a PC copy of BB, picked up used along with a keyboard and some other junk that a Grad student had to sell that made me go out and purchase the first PC ever to grace my old recording studio, way back in the fall of '98. Up until then it was all Mac. Well, the Atari which I still keep running and use from time to time (Bars 'n Pipes!)...

Today I am at home with both platforms. Never could figure out the quasi-religious wars that happen concerning that issue. As James Chandler Jr. once said on these forums, "How can ya hate a puter?"

--Mac

Mac #46580 12/13/09 06:10 PM
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
I wouldn't characterize the above dialogue as negative but rather as a frank exchange of views about the serious work yet to be done to bring the BiaB Mac version up the point where it meets the standards set by most other OSX programs. As a guy who has also used both platforms I can't imagine why Mac would compare a PC to a Apple machine in terms of quality or software integration. Different strokes I guess but I think whatever the difference BiaB has a ways to go on the Mac platform to where the company should be charging serious money for what they present as their latest upgrade. I hope they consider a rigorous facelift so that when I ask the software guys I've queried in the last few weeks to look at the next update they won't hold their noses again.

Now with that out of the way I need to start trying to find a way to figure the present version out. After extensive underlining my manual now looks like a map of the NYC subway system. Intuitive a nice sounding adjective when applied to computers, doncha think?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,086
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185