Loc: Ontario, Canada
Something a little different from Christiane and me, sort of a 70s soul vibe:

The Blue Line

The band:

Drums: Soul70sEv16^1-a:ClsdHHtSn, b:BusyBss, also see (*) below
Bass: 1433:Bass, Electric, JazzFunkGroovin Ev16 110
Organ: 2619:Organ, Rhythm Funk Ev 100

I'm playing the guitar parts

(*) For the third chorus I needed something different for the drums, so I used EZDrummer2 to build that 8 bar segment

Mixed with reaper using plugins from Waves and iZotope, mastered with Ozone 8 and LMC

EDIT: Uploaded a new mix, and also uploaded to soundcloud.

The Blue Line (2018, Christiane Spruit)

New day dawn
in the limelight
Sun will drag the gloom behind the blue line

Buildings high
at the skyline
waiting for the people to get online

Chorus:
I guess it's just a feeling in the city
People come and go and passing by
I have pondered for a while, but found no answer
Don't or do I feel alive?

Busy Bees
they get the honey
Wear a decent dress to get the money

Camera eyes, mesmerize
a company that offers you free wi-fi

Chorus

Buildings high
scrape the skyline
Sun will drag the gloom behind the blue line

A neon sign
advertise
Selling you a dream in supersize

Chorus

Outro vamp: Don't or do I feel alive

All comments welcome!

Edited by BlueAttitude (04/10/18 06:49 AM)
Edit Reason: added soundcloud link

#466233 - 04/09/18 05:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Blue Line [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Dave and Christiane,

I'm doing my best to type in real-time while the song is playing....

What a great opening!

Now Chris is singing and I'm stunned by how outstanding this production is! Chris's vocals sound so-o-o-o good! Wow!!!! Her singing style and this genre go together like coffee and cream.

Now it's Dave's turn. As I type, he's on lead guitar and the only thought that's in my mind is "This guitar sound, this performance, they're the stuff of skilled professionals!"

You've both done everything right with this one! To my ears it's top shelf all the way; music, performance, production and mix.

I thoroughly enjoyed everything about this.

All the best,
Noel

P.S. I just read your mention of reverb. I'll leave that to others with more experience than I have. In all honesty, I was so captivated by what I was hearing that I stopped having any critical thoughts about beat 2, bar 1.

#466236 - 04/09/18 06:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Blue Line [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I have to agree with Noel. This song starts great and just continues to improve.

You really have delivered extraordinary quality throughout.

However, that guitar line could not have possibly been delivered better. What a team!
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#466278 - 04/09/18 08:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Blue Line [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
What a cool song. Loved the way you panned the instruments in the mix. Loved how it jumped from speaker to speak. Such a cool vocal too. Your guitar was just excellent. Love the sound of your strat. Wah was pretty cool too..

#466296 - 04/09/18 09:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Blue Line [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
This song has such a great groove to it! grin And the vocals suit the feeling of this song so perfectly. Thanks for sharing!

#466343 - 04/09/18 01:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Blue Line [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Dave & Chris,

I know Noel already said it, but it bears repeating...

What a great opening!!

Drums sound great! I love a "leathery" snare and this one POPS!

Chris' vocals and harmonies are outstanding.

Delicious guitar! Sweet!

A nice change up at the end to make it even MORE listenable...

Excellent all around. Great listen.

fj

#466366 - 04/09/18 04:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Blue Line [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Dave & Chris

Amazing work - everything comes together - excellent vocal and lovely harmonies, clever production (nice drums) and some blistering and tasteful guitar playing.
Great song.

Peter

#466370 - 04/09/18 04:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Blue Line [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Noel and Floyd said it best!

Great intro followed by an outstanding groove!

Those guitar chops are top shelf for sure!

Super vocals also.

This is a keeper.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#466380 - 04/09/18 06:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Blue Line [Re: BlueAttitude]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

The opening is killer and sets up a great grooving dose of the blues. Superb vocal and harmony along with some masterful playing make this production a real treat for us blues lovers. Well done both of you. This is the real deal, Tom

#466385 - 04/09/18 06:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Blue Line [Re: BlueAttitude]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Dave & Chris,
Loved this! The feeling is more "up" than some of your work and the vocal treatment (with those two harmonies coming in and out) works well.
There`s energy in all the tracks and the guitars are stellar.
Very, very good.

Robert

#466391 - 04/09/18 07:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Blue Line [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
What a great track. Very smooth and yet powerful.Top marks for the production.
I want to hear more of this. Excellent stuff.Rob

#466439 - 04/10/18 04:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Blue Line [Re: Noel96]
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Dave and Christiane,

I'm doing my best to type in real-time while the song is playing....

What a great opening!

Now Chris is singing and I'm stunned by how outstanding this production is! Chris's vocals sound so-o-o-o good! Wow!!!! Her singing style and this genre go together like coffee and cream.

Now it's Dave's turn. As I type, he's on lead guitar and the only thought that's in my mind is "This guitar sound, this performance, they're the stuff of skilled professionals!"

You've both done everything right with this one! To my ears it's top shelf all the way; music, performance, production and mix.

I thoroughly enjoyed everything about this.

All the best,
Noel

P.S. I just read your mention of reverb. I'll leave that to others with more experience than I have. In all honesty, I was so captivated by what I was hearing that I stopped having any critical thoughts about beat 2, bar 1.

Thanks for your very kind words, Noel! Always appreciated smile

I decided to leave the reverb the way it was, may be a bit too much but I like the way it sounds.

#466467 - 04/10/18 07:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Blue Line [Re: BlueAttitude]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Wow - what a tune smile As others have pointed out, this is spectacular. It starts off great, and just keeps getting better. Both your vocals, the tune, and the groove are on point. I wouldn't bat an eyelash hearing this on the radio.

I wouldn't change a thing here - thanks for sharing!

#466560 - 04/10/18 02:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Blue Line [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Dave/Christiane, this is fantastic!! Everything about it sounds great! Everything you produce ALWAYS has top level vocals and guitar work! You should try to submit this for a film soundtrack! I can totally hear/see this picked up for something like that! Good luck with it! Thabks, Torrey

#466666 - 04/11/18 03:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Blue Line [Re: VideoTrack]
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
I have to agree with Noel. This song starts great and just continues to improve.

You really have delivered extraordinary quality throughout.

However, that guitar line could not have possibly been delivered better. What a team!

Thanks very much, we really appreciate that! laugh

#466667 - 04/11/18 03:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Blue Line [Re: Scott C]
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Scott C
What a cool song. Loved the way you panned the instruments in the mix. Loved how it jumped from speaker to speak. Such a cool vocal too. Your guitar was just excellent. Love the sound of your strat. Wah was pretty cool too..

Thanks, Scott!

During the chorus I doubled the wha guitar part with a straight guitar and panned them. BTW the wha pedal is a Dunlop Cry Baby pedal that I've had forever, must be 30 years old at least. It's the only pedal I own actually.

#466669 - 04/11/18 03:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Blue Line [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Dave & Chris,

Of all of your songs, this is a new favorite for me. I really love what you have done here. The song is excellent and the arrangement, tracks, guitar and vocal are standouts.

Much enjoyed!

Bob

#466679 - 04/11/18 06:22 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Blue Line [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Strong stuff you two!

- Clever write and delivered with an outstanding performance. Great lead and harmony all through with the killer outro to ice the cake.

- Guitars that bring a lot to the arrangement but never too much. Exactly the right touch for us and, man, played so well.

- All the backing tracks and the comped drum track were hitiin’ the note.

Lastly, but not least, the mix is perfecto.

Kudos!!!

J&B

#466828 - 04/11/18 11:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Blue Line [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Dave and Chris !

I gladly join in
with the orthers
pointing out the
professionalsim with
producing this tune,
the tune, playing, singing
and mix !

Really a very good
production !

Cheers
Dani

#466853 - 04/12/18 05:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Blue Line [Re: Ember - PG Music]
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
This song has such a great groove to it! grin And the vocals suit the feeling of this song so perfectly. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Ember smile

Christiane just did a video for this song, I'm unable to edit my original post so I'll add the link here:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
The Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin Works Great in Windows® 11!

Simon did it again - another test in Windows 11! See how well the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin works with Windows® 11 in his latest video: The Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin Works Great in Windows® 11!

RealBand® Works Great in Windows® 11!

Here's an introductory look at RealBand® running on the preview version of Windows® 11!

Watch the video.

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box® 2021!

Check out some of the latest Band-in-a-Box® feedback we've received:

"There's a saying 'Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.' That's exactly what my friend did in 1990. He taught me how to use BIAB and I've used it hundreds of time to do arraignment and to jam with any style band."

"Love BIAB. I use it daily. Their support is great too!"

"RealTracks are amazing!!! I use BIAB for backtracks in my solo act... Still using the basic package and it's all need..."

"I have used Band in A Box for many years. If it would have been around when I was young, I would have been a much better musician. I use it for all my songs I have written and recorded. With Band In A Box I can sit in my room and sound like a whole band without having to put up with them!"

"If you know something about music and take the time to learn the program, you can make it do some amazing things. It is a great help to songwriters who want to demo their song without paying for studio time. It makes changes and tweaks much easier as well."

"Been using it for so many years. It's a great tool. The instruments that I don't have or play make up the void and it saves so much time. I use this program for every song I write."

"Great tool for the songwriter!"

"An essential part of my studio! I write songs on piano, but I'm not a pianist by a long way. BIAB is like having a roomful of session players in your studio, and just the simple act of taking your basic idea and hearing a skilled pianist play it presents so many new ideas and options you hadn't thought of."

"Powerful, easy to use, inexpensive and they even split the modest payments up if you want. No complaints. Lots of satisfaction."

"I added a steel guitar to a fully produced original. He followed every change like he was in the studio reading the chart. Fascinating technology!"

"I have used it to make backing tracks for six CD's with about 12 songs on each. They make a great gift!"

"It's simply a necessity - buy it now - the staff and support do a great job as well!"

"A great tool for us songwriters!"

"I LOVE Band-in-a-Box!"

"I see it as a very worthwhile investment. In fact, from initial purchase about 8 years ago, using the backing tracks I have made, my income from that investment has returned over 5,000% on the investment!"

continued...

Do you have something to say about Band-in-a-Box®? Post your own thoughts for Windows or Mac version today!

Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® is more than 30 years old? I stumbled across this 1990 magazine article explaining the relatively new program, and think it's an enjoyable read for any Band-in-a-Box user - it really shows that we are always listening to user feedback when developing our program!

Read the article: Boxing Clever: Band-In-A-Box Software

A few of my favorite statements:

"The intention of PG Music's Band-In-A-Box package is to couple that speed and convenience with the improved flexibility of the personal computer. Versions are available for the Atari ST, Mac, and PC compatibles. Have the programmers succeeded? And can they rid themselves of the stigma of the auto-accompaniment section? Given the above state of affairs, the first hurdle that the program has to overcome is one of acceptance and, frankly, a name like 'Band-In-A-Box' is a bad start."

(I think our name was a great start!)

"The final results are, to say the least, impressive. Band-In-A-Box achieves something that most hardwired auto-accompaniment sections have never been able to do - inject a degree of feel into the music. It really does sound more human than so many of the computer generated pieces I've heard."

"...I'm quite convinced that PG Music will have a winner on their hands. This is one piece of software that you can get more out of than you put in."

#TipTuesday Convert RealDrums to MIDI!

Did you know that you can convert RealDrums to MIDI?

VintageGibson shared this tip to our Tips & Tricks forum, which is a great place to look for program tips from other Band-in-a-Box users!

Read this handy trick.

Have a program tip or trick of your own? Share it on our Tips & Tricks forum today!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Italian for Mac is Here!

Abbiamo lavorato tanto e abbiamo aggiunto 80 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria collezione di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 202 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, SuperTracks MIDI, Studi Strumentali, Performance degli Artisti, Bonus RealDrums "Singoli", trascrizioni RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAKs 10 e 11, e altro ancora!

Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Export / Print a List of Selected Styles (Band-in-a-Box®)

Did you know that you can export a list of your Styles from Band-in-a-Box®?

Head to this forum post in our "Tips & Tricks" forum, where VideoTrack shares another handy tip for Band-in-a-Box® users!

Forum Stats
34913 Members
66 Forums
70943 Topics
614635 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Harry Music, TheloniusTrane, Kirk Gore, Frank Lennon, Roofus53

34913 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 230
swingbabymix 230