Woodshedding - Learning to Play!
S
ShaunHH Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone anyone has any ideas to help me with learning licks and parts of songs efficiently (on digital piano).

I've recently been getting a bit more structured with my practice, and have realised the value of playing with a metronome/BIAB as well as recording myself and listening.

Just Using Band-in-the-Box has helped me notice that I have a habit of skipping beats sometime, and I'm now getting that under control(...well a bit better).

I've been using Transcribe to listen to short segments from Mp3 or Mp4 I'm learning, stop, and then playing myself on the piano.

What would be really great if I could have some way of doing the following (say for a 4 bar phrase/lick) in a loop.

1 Play the mp3/mp4
2 Then have an equal time space where I could play (recording via midi)
3. play the mp3/mp4 again
4. Play back what I've played in (2.) so I can check for accuracy.

then loop through 1 to 4 (but overwriting what I've played previously if I choose to play again - otherwise keep my previous recording section so I could re-listen).

Hope the above makes sense :-)

It would be great if Transcribe could do this (but doesn't do MIDI)
Any thoughts on which of my software (including BIAB of course) would be the best way ?

Many thanks!

ShaunHH

Yamaha Arias YDP-163 Piano, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 mk2,
PC: i7-3770, 8GB Ram
Software: Band-in-a-Box Pro 2018(v508), Transcribe 8.6 , Reaper 5.7
J
Expert
Expert
J
Seems to me you just need to do multi-track recording in a DAW with the MP3 on 1 track and your playing on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th etc tracks should you so choose. That way you can re-record yourself multiple times on those new tracks. You have the ability to mute those previously recorded tracks you do not want to listen to on your playback. A good DAW should also have the ability to give you a 'click track' if you do not have a stand-alone metronome.

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
Veteran
Veteran
Another approach would be to slow down tempo but keep the same pitch. The free Audacity can do that:

https://www.lifewire.com/audacity-tutorial-change-songs-speed-without-affecting-pitch-2438167

The tools that are available today are fantastic. I ruined all of my Chuck Berry albums by playing a section, lifting the needle, practice it on my guitar, then try to put the needle down without scratching the album. I never quite got the anti-scratching part down!

PS - I just read that BiaB can also do this. I do not do audio in BiaB so someone with more expertise in this area will have to help.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD

The tools that are available today are fantastic. I ruined all of my Chuck Berry albums by playing a section, lifting the needle, practice it on my guitar, then try to put the needle down without scratching the album. I never quite got the anti-scratching part down!

That brought back some memories! I did that too.

Then later I would record the song on a reel-to-reel at 7 1/2 ips and play back at 3 3/4 so it was half speed (but down in pitch an octave). Learned lots of solos using that method!

Last edited by BlueAttitude; 04/15/18 06:57 AM. Reason: typo
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

That brought back some memories! I did that too.

Then later I would record the song on a reel-to-reel at 7 1/2 ips and play back at 3 3/4 so it was half speed (but down in pitch an octave). Learned lots of solos using that method!

We have a lot in common! I also bought a reel-to-reel and did the same thing using the cheap Radio Shack's white box tape. But this was after I ruined some of my records!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
S
ShaunHH Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Originally Posted By: jcland
Seems to me you just need to do multi-track recording in a DAW with the MP3 on 1 track and your playing on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th etc tracks should you so choose.
That way you can re-record yourself multiple times on those new tracks. You have the ability to mute those previously recorded tracks you do not want to listen to on your playback.

Thanks - It's good to know that this can be done!
Yes, this is sort of the way I was heading - I bought a copy of Reaper recently and I know that there are an amazing number of features, but I'm very much a beginner - I might head for the Reaper forums to find out exactly how to achieve this.

Many thanks,

ShaunHH

S
ShaunHH Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S

Thanks - I didn't know this was possible in Audacity. As it happens this is the what Transcribe is really good at, but It's just a shame that it doesn't let me record MIDI

PS - I just read that BiaB can also do this. I do not do audio in BiaB so someone with more expertise in this area will have to help.

Interesting - It's amazing what features are tucked away in BIAB. I've just started working my way through some of the tutorial videos - it's going to take some time ;-)

Last edited by ShaunHH; 04/15/18 07:21 PM.

ShaunHH

Expert
Expert
Hi if I understand correctly you want to have say 4 bars of an MP3 then another 4 bars for yourself. You have Reaper check https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ilX2FOyu_Ts Kenny Gioia talks about takes and comping. You could do similar. A similar thing can be done in CakeWalk by Bandlab (which is free to down load) set your part up in the first 4 bars loop through 8 recording the last 4bars and creating separate takes.

Check out the various Reaper Videos on the Reaper site and even more on Kenny Gioia's http://www.kennymania.com/reaper-videos/#reaper-5-explained site. You will also find how to transpose your MP3. Kenny's site has a lot more Reaper videos on almost anything you will want to do in Reaper.

Just a thought

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 04/15/18 11:12 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey there Shaun,

I recorded a quick tutorial on how you can do this, which I will upload a bit later this evening.

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Journeyman
Journeyman
Just made a YT video to demonstrate the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R09Lf3bHjhQ&feature=youtu.be

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
S
ShaunHH Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09
Just made a YT video to demonstrate the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R09Lf3bHjhQ&feature=youtu.be

Wow! Many thanks for your time in making this - I just wasn't even aware that BIAB could do the things that you show... :-)

There is just so much that is hidden within this software.

I'm going to re-watch this at the weekend and have a play around with these features.

Many thanks!

ShaunHH

S
ShaunHH Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Originally Posted By: Teunis
Hi if I understand correctly you want to have say 4 bars of an MP3 then another 4 bars for yourself. You have Reaper check https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ilX2FOyu_Ts Kenny Gioia talks about takes and comping. You could do similar.

Hi Tony, Yes you are correct - that is what I'm after. Thanks for the link - I've seen the numerous Kenny Gioia videos - and have watched a few previously but the one you show is the one I need. There are so many of them!

I think this is probably going to be the most suitable way to achieve what I'm after. Do you know if it's possible to set it so that, instead of creating a new take, it lets you overwrite the take (but only if you play something new via MIDI keyboard) after every repeat cycle?

Thanks,

ShaunHH

Expert
Expert
Check the video regarding "punch in hands free" at https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyPxKr9fyDj52AP6UKU5OGZBy4Yj6vs-pPvcgOgjB9lXrcZC9FE_dij4aQJ0hsX6ZM8YoqJeZ2Efgu3A6LWlwRSP1VixD4afA&time_continue=2&v=I1Il-LhyMs8. another Kenny Gioia video that shows how to loop a section, record in a portion, and continue with the loop. You can do it in takes or go over the same part. For practice where you are not interested in getting the best part you can go over the part. If you really want something to keep then use takes and comping which allows you to cut or keep what you want. This will work with audio or midi. Kenny shows how.

I have not done this in Reaper but I have done similar many times in Sonar. Reaper is something I have only recently been playing in. Using BB and RB I have not had to go through any of this. When I have wanted a better part in a RealTrack I have simply used the multi riff feature then in Reaper chopped and positioned the parts if I felt I should but that is not what you are about.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 04/16/18 11:49 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Journeyman
Journeyman
OK, I actually figured out how to do this in BiaB, and will post a video update later this evening :-)

S
ShaunHH Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Originally Posted By: Teunis
Check the video regarding "punch in hands free" at https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyPxKr9fyDj52AP6UKU5OGZBy4Yj6vs-pPvcgOgjB9lXrcZC9FE_dij4aQJ0hsX6ZM8YoqJeZ2Efgu3A6LWlwRSP1VixD4afA&time_continue=2&v=I1Il-LhyMs8. another Kenny Gioia video that shows how to loop a section, record in a portion, and continue with the loop. You can do it in takes or go over the same part. For practice where you are not interested in getting the best part you can go over the part. If you really want something to keep then use takes and comping which allows you to cut or keep what you want. This will work with audio or midi. Kenny shows how.

Thanks again! Just checked out this video and it's so interesting - yes - all the features I need are there. I'm going to have a closer look at the weekend.

ShaunHH

S
ShaunHH Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09
OK, I actually figured out how to do this in BiaB, and will post a video update later this evening :-)

Thanks - If you've got a link I'll definitely check it out!

Once again, many thanks for your help!

ShaunHH

Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:
Thanks - If you've got a link I'll definitely check it out!

Here ya go :-)

https://youtu.be/h0aL4HI6_oM

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,469
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195