Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Lady In The Fedora

Dunno what genre this little ditty fits - Americana (folk rock) I guess. I took the SC photo of Janice last fall and it recently inspired the write as she does love her fedora! Hey, even Bud can write an upbeat love lyric every now and then smile Tom (tommyad) contributed a very cool guitar lead that really elevated the tune and seemed to fit the vibe so well (as I recall he capoed at the 12th fret to get that sound).

Janice: vocals (lead, lead doubled on bridge and two harmony tracks) Rodes NT1 > Scarlett interface > Logic Pro X / Nectar 2

Tom: lead guitar / whatever the man does

Bud: production, engineering, mix and photo of Janice

RTs/RDs and effects:

RT 995:Bass, Electric, HardRockLA Ev 120 / Waves Bass Rider / Neutron 2

RT 2499:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm PopCountryBrent Ev 120 / Neutron 2

RT 1681:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 12 / Neutron 2, Ozone 8 Imager / EMT 140 Reverb sim

RealDrums: NashvilleEven8 (snare doubled and additional cymbals added) / Neutron 2 / Waves CLA Drums / EMT 140 Reverb sim

Mastering: Ozone 8 and Ozone Tonal Balance

Thanks to Tom and floyd for mix counsel.

V1
lost in thought driving into the evening sun
It been a long day, he was about half past done.
he pulled off the highway for gas and a meal
a live music sign hung in front of a local grill

V2
she was perched on a barstool looking so serene
singing with heart and soul, the room was cheering
She was playing cool licks/riffs on a fine old Martin
but she had something special that got his attention

Chorus
she smiled at him beneath the brim of her hat
lord he had never seen anything quite like that
he couldn’t quit staring at the lady in the fedora
oh that lady in the fedora how he adored her

Bridge
years have past since that night
but he never forgot his first sight
Oh the day he drove down to Georgia
he still adores her his wife in the fedora

Chorus

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
One of my favorites from you two, I heard it a while back, and have listened a couple of times since.

Janice is her usual awesome self with that tone and phrasing smile

And Tom had me right from the start with that super cool intro.

Love the mix on this, especially the drums, those Toms sound awesome! I have a few of those CLA plugins, I don't however have CLA drums. Will need to pick that one up the next time it goes on sale for $29!

Thanks also for the additional mix details, never thought about putting an imager on an individual track before but I'll give it a try soon. You mentioned Ozone reverb, I didn't know they had a reverb module?

Excellent track, listened a few times and will listen again.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
One of my favorites from you two, I heard it a while back, and have listened a couple of times since.

Janice is her usual awesome self with that tone and phrasing smile

And Tom had me right from the start with that super cool intro.

Love the mix on this, especially the drums, those Toms sound awesome! I have a few of those CLA plugins, I don't however have CLA drums. Will need to pick that one up the next time it goes on sale for $29!

Thanks also for the additional mix details, never thought about putting an imager on an individual track before but I'll give it a try soon. You mentioned Ozone reverb, I didn't know they had a reverb module?

Excellent track, listened a few times and will listen again.

My bad Dave. I meant to say Izotope reverb. I used the Izotope Nectar 2 reverb module for all my reverb. It's a sim of the old EMT 140 unit. I'll edit the post. Good call!

I'm glad you like the drums. Tom told me about the CLA Drums and I grabbed it cheap.

I've found the Imager to sound good at times when I have a track panned near to the center. I convert all stereo RTs to mono before mixing except for keyboards and drums - pretending that I know what I'm doing smile It's always seemed odd to me to pan a stereo track. I leave keyboards very near center...something I learned from fj.

Thanks for everything you said. We appreciate it!

J&B

Last edited by Janice & Bud; 04/25/18 03:33 AM.
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Wow - this is fantastic! Where this really got me was the vocal performance. Those harmonies are absolutely flawless. And when the chorus came in - boom, I was sold. I wouldn't bat an eyelash hearing this on the radio. A++ on this one!

You really should be proud of this one - thanks so much for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Nice love song y'all. I knew you had it in your Bud!!

Great guitar sound too Tom. Excellent vocals as always Janice.

Are you sure that was capoed at the 12th fret? That wpould be craY high. Didn't sound like it. I guess I will have to listen again.

smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

I'm glad you like the drums. Tom told me about the CLA Drums and I grabbed it cheap.

J&B

Man, adds on facebook are getting *way* too smart! Scary actually.

I mentioned CLA drums in my review, then just now when I go to facebook there is an add from waves for CLA Drums. And, it's still on sale for $29, so I bought it.

Thanks for the tip!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
J&B, Thanks for letting me take part in this great write, performance and production. I had a blast! Yes David, that's the Tele capoed at the twelfth fret and fingerpicked. Thanks for all the nice comments from everyone about the guitar part, Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey guys, this is a great track. Love the super guitar work and the 'Linda Ronstadt' vocal delivery.
Beautifully engineered and produced. Thanks for the listen!

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Guys. You are always posting some thing memorable and this is no exception.
Great vocal, production and performance. Rob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice Tom & Bud

Like Dave I heard this a little while ago and playing it again is like hearing an old familiar favourite.
Lovely guitar work - not easy playing with a capo at the 12th fret - great mix and sound, strong lyrics and of course a beautiful vocal with some lovely harmonies.

Another top notch composition.

Peter

Last edited by PeterF; 04/25/18 12:48 PM.
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
This was a really awesome collab you guys. I really enjoyed this one! And I feel the genre fits as well.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice, Bud & Tom,

I love this... The sound and overall feeling are great. It's fresh, and as always Janice has full emotional control of where the song is going.

Perfect write, mix and delivery - absolutely pro all the way!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
J&B,
What the listeners above said... and I like the softness at the centre of the story. A happy ending with ringing guitars ( great work, Tom!) and standout vocals, of course.
A little of the Byrds, with all the goodness of Janice & Bud.
Excellent work.

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - this is fantastic! Where this really got me was the vocal performance. Those harmonies are absolutely flawless. And when the chorus came in - boom, I was sold. I wouldn't bat an eyelash hearing this on the radio. A++ on this one!

You really should be proud of this one - thanks so much for sharing smile

Thanks Deryk. This one was fun from start to finish. Thanks for mentioning the harmony. They are two tracks by Janice with slightly different amounts of reverb and delay.

Glad you liked it!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Heartwarming write, well sung, solid mix. Subtle harmonies. The kick certainly comes through on the headphones!

As usual, nicely done!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I always have high expectations when I see you post a song. Yet, they are never high enough.

To me, it's catchy, has a cool feel to it, produced really well, and has really nice instrumentation all the way around. I like that drum sound, too. smile

Do I also need to mention that the guitar and vocals are great? Ice is cold...as long as we are mentioning things that are REALLY obvious.

Great job all!

Last edited by HearToLearn; 04/26/18 05:39 AM.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Nice love song y'all. I knew you had it in your Bud!!

Great guitar sound too Tom. Excellent vocals as always Janice.

Are you sure that was capoed at the 12th fret? That wpould be craY high. Didn't sound like it. I guess I will have to listen again.

smile

Thanks David. Yep that’s what the man did - on his tele.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Skyline
Hey guys, this is a great track. Love the super guitar work and the 'Linda Ronstadt' vocal delivery.
Beautifully engineered and produced. Thanks for the listen!

John

Thanks John and, wow, did you ever make Janice’s day mentioning Linda Ronstadt!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello, Janice & Bud, Tom

Really wonderful collaboration!
Tom's guitar work is great.
And it is surprising twice that it is the Tele capoed at the twelfth fret and fingerpicked.
As John said, I also love the 'Linda Ronstadt' vocal delivery.
Beautifully engineered and produced.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
B&J + Tom,
EXCELLENT stuff.
The vocal is just the San Francisco side of country - the Tom guitar is very cool.
My only suggestion would be to take the 12 string guitar track and hammer it with a good compressor & add a little top end to bring out some chime - it'd be Byrdsian then. Alternately add a strummed 12 string with the same compressor/EQ treatment to get chime happening - that'll go well with Tom's work.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195