You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#469761 - 04/27/18 04:41 PM [User Showcase] Silent Waltz - Pygmy Beat Expanded
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Journeyman

https://soundcloud.com/rayc/silent-waltz-pygmy-beat-expanded-featuring-miriam-webb
This track was 1st recorded about a decade ago but my parts were pretty messy and, having been recorded to cassette 4 track, fairly "lo fi".
I took the original tracks - transferred them to Reaper, re recorded the guitars, edited the cellos and added BIAB drums as well as organ.
I specifically bought RealDrums 07 for this project - and that set specifically for RealDrums:Swing8Waltz.
Organ: background B3.
Miriam Webb sang and played the good cello parts as well as writing the cello arrangement & vocal melody.
Gerry Steele of The Hamilton Steele Band played the lovely dual guitar solo.
I played the bad cello, bass, 12 & 6 string acoustic guitars.
The bass was DI.
The cellos were recorded with a Sony Electret 19b microphone.
New guitar parts recorded digitally with an MSH-4 which is a small diaphragm condenser with a built in micro-tube, (hand made at Naiant Studios), into a Focusrite Scarlett
Mixed in Reaper using
ReaComp
ReaVerb (imported convolution file - Wide chamber)
ReaEQ
PSP Vintage Warmer 2
Mastered by Fran Ashcroft of Happy Beat Studio.
https://soundcloud.com/rayc/silent-waltz-pygmy-beat-expanded-featuring-miriam-webb

Silent Waltz
Silent morning memories
of evening and of pain,
presence in old yesterdays
of day old drops of rain.
Silent circus masquerades
of such pleasantries,
painted on another face
of different histories.
magic morning miracles
of daylight in the rain,
tree and leaf and painter
beyond the window pane.
Silent old apostles
forgetful of their words,
peak hour pedestrian audience
of silence naught is heard.
Farewell parting speeches
of what cannot be said,
distant recollections
of memories almost dead.
magic morning miracles
of daylight in the rain,
beyond the window pane
Silent clay cast gentlemen
of nothing much to say,
routine morning daydreams
dreaming of the day...
magic morning miracles
of daylight in the rain,
beyond the window pane
Yet almost silently the day breaks…it breaks…it breaks

Edited by rayc (04/27/18 05:03 PM)
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. http://therecordingrebels.com/index.php

#469767 - 04/27/18 05:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Silent Waltz - Pygmy Beat Expanded [Re: rayc]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

ray,

that was a most interesting listen.

An "artsy" song and recording. Could have come out of San Francisco in the early 70's... Miriam has a vocal similar to early Joni Mitchell (For The Roses era).

The stream-of-consciousness lyric occasionally lost me, but the music never did...

fj

#469774 - 04/27/18 05:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: Silent Waltz - Pygmy Beat Expanded [Re: floyd jane]
rayc Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ray,

that was a most interesting listen.

An "artsy" song and recording. Could have come out of San Francisco in the early 70's... Miriam has a vocal similar to early Joni Mitchell (For The Roses era).

The stream-of-consciousness lyric occasionally lost me, but the music never did...

fj

Thanks fj,
I was quite influenced by a Tolkien short story when I wrote the lyrics, (in about 77). It's an almost unknown but significant story called Leaf by Niggle. It's about social/community obligation.
Yes, Miriam does have a Roses quality. I don't know if she plays or sings currently as she's busy with two youngsters. Sadly the chap who made the mic, Naiant, no longer ships outside continental North America.
Thanks for your generous words.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. http://therecordingrebels.com/index.php

#469869 - 04/28/18 04:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: Silent Waltz - Pygmy Beat Expanded [Re: rayc]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Ray,

I really like this. I agree with Floyd on the overall sound - you have really captured it well here.

Very nice job!

Bob

#469871 - 04/28/18 04:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: Silent Waltz - Pygmy Beat Expanded [Re: rayc]
Loc: San Jose, CA
Marty Sorensen Offline
Apprentice

Loc: San Jose, CA
The voice and the lyrics go really well together. The voice is more like an instrument here, and I, too, sometimes let the meaning of the words disappear and just listened to the sounds.

#469885 - 04/28/18 05:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: Silent Waltz - Pygmy Beat Expanded [Re: rayc]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Loved the backtrack and vocal on this tune. Well done. Love the feel to this song. Well done.

#469887 - 04/28/18 05:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Silent Waltz - Pygmy Beat Expanded [Re: rsdean]
rayc Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Ray,

I really like this. I agree with Floyd on the overall sound - you have really captured it well here.

Very nice job!

Bob

Thanks Bob,
Nothing like some tape, some digital, some BIAB & some weird little mics to make a vibe.

#469888 - 04/28/18 05:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: Silent Waltz - Pygmy Beat Expanded [Re: Marty Sorensen]
rayc Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Marty Sorensen
The voice and the lyrics go really well together. The voice is more like an instrument here, and I, too, sometimes let the meaning of the words disappear and just listened to the sounds.

Marty,
I don't think the singer was born when I scrawled the lyrics but she was/is a perfect fit. As much as I love lyrics they are a carrier for the signal more than anything else.

#469889 - 04/28/18 05:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: Silent Waltz - Pygmy Beat Expanded [Re: Scott C]
rayc Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Loved the backtrack and vocal on this tune. Well done. Love the feel to this song. Well done.

Scott,
You're very kind. This remake is much dreamier than the original - for a start I excised the strident cello parts - as much as I liked the aggression and slight discord of them they jolted in and out of the dream state.

#469940 - 04/28/18 11:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: Silent Waltz - Pygmy Beat Expanded [Re: rayc]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Fantastic work rayc! Really dig the chord progression and the tremolo guitar. The vocals are great too. Thanks for sharing! smile

#470035 - 04/28/18 05:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: Silent Waltz - Pygmy Beat Expanded [Re: rayc]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Rayc, this is a very interesting well composed song. The vocals were just perfect as was the guitar lead.

This reminded me of songs from the late 1960's.

This is very well done!

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#470048 - 04/28/18 06:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: Silent Waltz - Pygmy Beat Expanded [Re: Joe -PG Music]
rayc Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Fantastic work rayc! Really dig the chord progression and the tremolo guitar. The vocals are great too. Thanks for sharing! smile

Thanks Joe,
I was tempted to cut the trem guitar as it was in a bust space but panned it out of the jumble and it sounds cool I agree. Ah, as a bassist I know only a few chords so am lucky that those I know cobble well.
Thanks for your kind words.

#470049 - 04/28/18 06:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Silent Waltz - Pygmy Beat Expanded [Re: MarioD]
rayc Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Rayc, this is a very interesting well composed song. The vocals were just perfect as was the guitar lead.

This reminded me of songs from the late 1960's.

This is very well done!

The late 60s is a lovely reference point - I was 12 in 69.
The solo is cool - Gerry Steele is a superb player and has contributed about 90% of solos on my songs.
Thanks you very much for your generous assessment.

#470090 - 04/29/18 05:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: Silent Waltz - Pygmy Beat Expanded [Re: rayc]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

That definitely has the feel of a 70's dreamscape type of song. The vocal has a really nice delicate and soft quality about it. I like how the rhythm guitars drop out for the solo. The lyrics are so poetic and stream of self consciousness that it reminded me of waking up and remembering a dream you just had and thinking " What does this mean?" Therefore it stays with you a little bit and that is a good thing. I enjoyed it, Tom

#470189 - 04/29/18 03:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: Silent Waltz - Pygmy Beat Expanded [Re: rayc]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Ray,
Tom summed up my thoughts on the lyrics - on a song like this you let them drift around in the dreamlike feeling.
I really liked the melody on this and use of cello as a rhythm instrument.
Lovely vocals, as others have mentioned. I was reminded of Rennaissance ( Brit. prog rock band).
Well worth your efforts to revive and massage the original recordings.

Robert

#470198 - 04/29/18 03:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: Silent Waltz - Pygmy Beat Expanded [Re: rayc]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Ray

Excellent work - evocative and quite distinctive. Agree with most of the prior comments. Nicely done and an interesting recording process. (I think there are a number of us here that were 12 in 1969).

Peter

#471081 - 05/03/18 04:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: Silent Waltz - Pygmy Beat Expanded [Re: tommyad]
rayc Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: tommyad
That definitely has the feel of a 70's dreamscape type of song. The vocal has a really nice delicate and soft quality about it. I like how the rhythm guitars drop out for the solo. The lyrics are so poetic and stream of self consciousness that it reminded me of waking up and remembering a dream you just had and thinking " What does this mean?" Therefore it stays with you a little bit and that is a good thing. I enjoyed it, Tom

Thanks Tom, you're very kind.
The arrangement decision for the solo was easy to make - It sounded so perfect I wanted it to shine and not be crowded. Gerry has done wonderful solos across a range of genre for me in the last 15 years or so.
Lyrics - I enjoy writing them - some are worked on and ground out otehrs, like this one, arrive fully free formed.

#471082 - 05/03/18 04:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Silent Waltz - Pygmy Beat Expanded [Re: Robertkc]
rayc Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Ray,
Tom summed up my thoughts on the lyrics - on a song like this you let them drift around in the dreamlike feeling.
I really liked the melody on this and use of cello as a rhythm instrument.
Lovely vocals, as others have mentioned. I was reminded of Rennaissance ( Brit. prog rock band).
Well worth your efforts to revive and massage the original recordings.

Robert

Robert,
A comparison to Renaissance? I'll happily take that generous assessment. My cello is out of its case, on a stand and stares at me - condemning me for it's inaction of late. I'll have to loosen the shoulders and spend some time getting to know it again.

#471085 - 05/03/18 04:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: Silent Waltz - Pygmy Beat Expanded [Re: PeterF]
rayc Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Ray

Excellent work - evocative and quite distinctive. Agree with most of the prior comments. Nicely done and an interesting recording process. (I think there are a number of us here that were 12 in 1969).

Peter

Hello Peter,
'69 - ah, the days of relative innocence, a life of creeks, cartoons and having no understanding of the world.
Thanks for your kind words.

#471813 - 05/08/18 11:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: Silent Waltz - Pygmy Beat Expanded [Re: rayc]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
We thought about the Rose album also. Our favorite of hers.

We like Tom's word "dreamscape." That says a lot in two syllables.

It is remarkable that you were able to update this so well...we have a LOT of those 4-track Tascam cassettes around but have only tackled a few revisions.

The performances are outstanding. Wish y'all could do more.

Thanks for the song and the backstory!

J&B
J&B Website

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

NEW! Style-style-style Additions and Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

With over 64 new features and enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019, we've made sure to add to, enhance, and update some of the Style features within the program: StylePicker, StyleMaker, and Song Titles browser within the StylePicker!

StylePicker Enhancements:
-If the style list needs rebuild, it tells you that within the StylePicker, instead of a message that requires a response.
-The rebuild is faster than before by 75%. It takes 1/4 of the time now.
-While the style list is being rebuilt, you can see the progress inside the StylePicker.
-The style list can be filtered by a specific RealTracks/RealDrums/MIDI SuperTracks or RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks in a certain number range.
-You can filter the style list by a specific Xtra Styles PAK.
-The dialog to select an Xtra Styles PAK has a button to take you to the PG Music website that shows information about Xtra Styles PAKs.
-The StylePicker can list all styles (including N/A styles) in the default display.
-The Set number display is improved, including sort by type and Xtra styles.

StyleMaker Improvements:

-The new MIDI velocity offset allows you to make styles with altered loudness for MIDI tracks.
-Styles can be saved with information like a memo, examples, genres, and more, which will be displayed in the StylePicker.
-You can import information from another style. This is useful when you are making a similar style.
-A style can have a huge number of RealTracks (up to 70!) because the StyleMaker now supports RealTracks multi/medley feature, which allows a single track to have up to 10 simultaneous playing of RealTracks.

Song Titles Browser Enhancement

-We’ve added 300 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now over 10,600 titles.
-The chord density filter is available, and it’s also displayed in the memo.
-The chord complexity filter is available.

Review all the new features of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 here.

NEW! Traditional Celtic Tunes with Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you can add the 49-PAK to your order for just $49!

Among the great Add-ons included in the 49-PAK is our Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly, which includes 18 traditional Celtic tunes! You'll find beautifully performed songs like Boys of Bluehill, The Cliffs of Moher, Harvest Home, Rolling in the Rye Glass, and more!

The Celtic RealTracks backing up performances by Geoff Kelly sound amazing, and so do the duets with previous Artist Performance musician Daniel Lapp (on fiddle)! Listen to all the demos for these Artists Performances near the bottom of our Bonus PAKs page, here.

Here's a taste: Demo: Rolling in the Rye Grass

The Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Bonus PAKs!

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you'll receive a FREE Bonus PAK overflowing with great Add-ons, including MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses with 6 MIDI SuperTracks, 21 RealDrums Transcriptions, 120 guitar licks and riffs in Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks, and 15 new MIDI Styles!

Or, upgrade it to the 49-PAK for just $49 and you'll add 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" & Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, 6 more MIDI SuperTracks with Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion, 120 more guitar licks and riffs with Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks, 15 more MIDI Styles, and Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly!

Watch the video highlighting our 49-PAK here, or listen to demos and learn more here.

Free Bonus PAK Contents:
-Look Ma! More MIDI 1
-21 RealDrums Transcriptions
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses
-Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks

2019 49-PAK Contents:
-40 Bonus RealTracks!
-10 "Low Man" and Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks
-Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly
-Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks
-Look Ma! More MIDI 2
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes!

Get to know the new Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows with our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes! video: Click here to watch...

Forum Stats
28407 Members
58 Forums
55140 Topics
459206 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
SJN, markgeven, ecnal, Jurassic, Derek Deatherage

28407 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 330
Pipeline 307