Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#469966 04/28/18 10:58 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I never dreamed I would post this song.
I've never even considered recording it.
After clifton and David broached the subject in their songs, I went and dug this up.

This is a snapshot of a specific time in our history.
And the reactions and feelings from certain segments of America.
It tells the story of a "conflicted" veteran.
And how he (and others like him) were treated by a small (or maybe less than small), but very vocal group of the Americans he had gone to war for.

This sentiment, fortunately, no longer seems to exists.
But it ripped the fabric of America at the time.

We have healed.
The Wall commemorates those who gave their lives for the ideals of America.
Those who returned no longer face the anger and ridicule that some chose to greet them with at the time.
That should give us all hope for the future.

Again, keep in mind this was written in 1975. (I was 20).
A snapshot in time.

UNPOPULAR HERO

i was raised in the bible belt
by mom and apple pie
all my life i pledged allegiance
while the stars and stipes would fly
and when my notice came the canadian border
never crossed my mind
like my grampa, my dad and my uncles
i was proud to serve my time

unpopular hero in an unpopular war
   i was still a virgin
   she stood leaning in the door
   she just wants her pay
   she don't want my love
   she just want her pay

i read the history they wrote
i saw the movies they made
audey murphy, john wayne and my dad came home
to ticker tape parades
but when we came home
no one looked us in the eye
we didn't want to talk of it
but no one asked us why

we were all just virgins
   she stood leaning in the door
   she just wants her pay
   she don't want my love
   she just want her pay

i've got pictures you don't want to see
swirling through my head
every day i fight to forget
my fight is all but dead
go ahead, ignore us
maybe we'll go away
will anyone mention vietnam
come memorial day

sixty thousand virgins
   please no more
   it's too much to pay
   it's too much to pay

The BAND:
Style is _LAMENT.STY (Lament Modern Pop Country Ballad)

RealTracks in style: 1825:Bass, Electric, PopModernGrooveHeld Ev16 075
RealTracks in style: 1537:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopBelieveArp Ev16 065
RealTracks in style: 1037:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm NorthernRockBallad Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 3056:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Pop16thsSyncBrent Ev16 085
RealTracks in song: 836:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm AltCountryRootsy Ev 075 (A:muted)
RealDrums in style: ModernPopBallad16ths^01-a:Quiet hat, Sync-kick, b:Open hat, Sync-kick

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Me love this long time.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,

A tremendous song... Outstanding and heavy write for a twenty year old. Very cool to hear you perform this now - I love the way it sounds like you are looking back.

I also love the mix and the way the rhythm guitars bubble underneath the track.

Headed back for my third listen...

Bob

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Spot on Floyd that's the way you do it.

Did you use realtracks or loops or are you playing the guitar ?.

I would love to hear the original even if recording standards were not as advanced (a wee tape recording maybe) WHY..?, I love all that stuff, vinyl,tape, my passion.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great song about a very sad time in our history. I lost seven friends in that war.

As usual your mix, vocals and lyrics are top notch.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
No words. In all the best ways. I can't even imagine aside from glimpses like this. Thanks for giving some insight.

And..

Thank you to everyone who has served. I NEVER take that lightly.

This song will haunt me for a bit.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
No it;s not another Vienmam war song, it is an outstanding Vietnam war, era song. This just brings to life that period that is so remarkable in all of it's glory and horror. THis is down to earth, from someone who was in the time period. Love it Floyd.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd,

This is very, very powerful! I'm glad you pulled it out, dusted it off and unleashed BIAB. I love that ending and the ending chord. It really left me hanging in the air thinking about all you'd sung. As I'm sitting here typing this, the song and its images are still bright in my mind.

I thought it was excellent the way that you used the chorus as a kind of parallel narrative. For me, the verses were a glimpse into the mind, heart and soul of the unpopular hero and the choruses (complete with their own independent development) were a glimpse of the 'other side of the coin'. 'Heartbreaking' is a word that just sprang into my head. Your story-telling and commentary unfolded like a movie for me. First person narrative was an ideal choice of perspective.

Everything about this sits perfectly in my headphones. The acoustic guitar beginning was terrific and its sound was first class. Then as the rest of the band started joining in and building a wall of sound with musical precision and intent, I found myself getting pulled into the music and the lyrics more as a participant than a listener. I think that's why the starkness of the ending was so powerful for me. It was like I was there, a part of the history.

This song resonated with me in so many ways!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Man, what a song! On my second listen as I type this.

Just a tremendous write! And the fact you did it when you were only 20 ... pretty deep stuff.

Love the production on this too, the way you start with just the acoustic and then slowly build intensity by adding in the additional instruments with the drums not coming in until the last chorus, and then that last hanging chord ....

I'm glad you decided to post this, it's an song that should be heard.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
FJ,
You ACED IT.
In Australia we has a "hit single" in about 84 which essayed some of the things you covered. We were at a stage where we could talk about Vietnam by then - ignore the evil politics of the war and focus on the human story. If you get a chance to look up I Was Only 19 (a walk in the light green) by Redgum you may like it. Is has a different impact to your song but different is always good. Your song has incredible impact and is sung/performed perfectly for the topic, time and purpose. Well done.
I Was only 19 - Redgum
Oh, it was a hit again a couple of years ago - but as a cover by a hip hop band - odd but that's OK.
A mate & I wrote our own - but from the perspective of observing the evacuation...
It doesn't have the impact of yours and, as is usual for me, has too many words and not enough emotion - YOU get the balance right.
Solong Shuffle - Pygmy Beat

Last edited by rayc; 04/29/18 01:44 AM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes, the final chord, because it ends like Vietnam, just going on, the final chord still there when it 's only a phantom. I still remember the face of the guy who said, they killed my brother, so I'm going over there.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd, The sound you get is always crisp, clean and well balanced. Good choice of instruments and you skillfully added them as the build progressed. The write was advanced considering your age at the time. It shows that you were not immune to the collective feeling at the time of loss of innocence. Your chorus brings that across with some stark images. I was in my teens and twenties at that time and looking back I can say with certainty that the war affected every single person that I knew in one way or another. You have left no doubt that it affected you. Beautifully done, Tom

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
I never dreamed I would post this song.
I've never even considered recording it.
This is a snapshot of a specific time in our history.
And the reactions and feelings from certain segments of America.
It tells the story of a "conflicted" veteran.

Per our previous PM conversation I'll echo all other comments.
One gains many new perspectives when one experiences the true face of war, the brutality of it all and coming to grips of what's expected of you when faced with the challenging circumstances every day.
One can't unsee any of the images or reconcile many of the experiences at such a young age.

But, no complaints here....that's life.
Carry on.....back to topic.

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 04/29/18 05:48 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Me love this long time.

eddie - means a lot that you accept and like this... thanks...

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

A tremendous song... Outstanding and heavy write for a twenty year old. Very cool to hear you perform this now - I love the way it sounds like you are looking back.

I also love the mix and the way the rhythm guitars bubble underneath the track.

Headed back for my third listen...

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I had a tendency to write a number of "heavy" things in those days. Listening to too much Prine...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,

Very powerful write and great production.Love the ending.
Bringing this from your back pages seems very appropriate to me... just watched the Ken Burns doc- this song would fit there and lose nothing to all the anthems of the day.

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd

Excellent writing from a 20 year old (or anyone else for that matter).
Great arrangement to go with the lyrics.

Going back for another listen.

Peter

p.s along with the song Ray mentioned another Australian song referencing this issue was Khe Sanh by Cold Chisel.
Khe Sanh

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Love this song Floyd. Was a very different time back then. Excellent vocal and back track. Your lyrics were powerful. As always you put together a polished professional level song. Thanks for sharing...

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Spot on Floyd that's the way you do it.

Did you use realtracks or loops or are you playing the guitar ?.

I would love to hear the original even if recording standards were not as advanced (a wee tape recording maybe) WHY..?, I love all that stuff, vinyl,tape, my passion.

Thanks, beatmaster. The tracks are all RealTracks. No loops, no additional guitars (though I use both on occasion).

IF I have a tape of this it would be 40 years old - and is buried in a box somewhere. I have a certain number of old lyrics that continue to get copied over to my latest computer (though I don't change that often, either). That is where I found this lyric to re-visit...

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Great song about a very sad time in our history. I lost seven friends in that war.

As usual your mix, vocals and lyrics are top notch.

Thanks for listening, Mario. Sorry for your loss...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
No words. In all the best ways. I can't even imagine aside from glimpses like this. Thanks for giving some insight.

And..

Thank you to everyone who has served. I NEVER take that lightly.

This song will haunt me for a bit.

Caaron - Thanks for that. Indeed, we should all thank those who served...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well, for me, I get it. Three years in Viet Nam back to back.

Thanks for posting this song. Even all these years later, a song like this brings back the reality of that time and place.

Songwriting and music is an effective time machine.

Some really unpleasant stuff happens in any war but the Viet Nam war still rages on in the minds of quite a few of us who are still alive to remember.

There are no winners in war, only survivors.

Thanks again,

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195